Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

the droopy eye pointing in an entirely different direction than the other is what makes this masterpiece:

I thought the fact that it's a heroic portrait of an SS officer is what makes it a classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Holy gently caress, the Axis Empires Expansion Kit super special pre-order price is $120.

All I wanted is some rules about how to use the Austria-Hungarian counters in Totaler Krieg but this poo poo is going to end up costing like 200€ with shipping, I bet.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I can't figure out what they're trying to do here with this series. It seems plain English is beyond them.

I assume (though they never say so) that a stand-alone 2nd edition of each game is coming out at some point.

This 'upgrade' will replace the 1st edition maps and about 1/2 the counters for both sets of games to bring them up to 2nd editions status. But the upgrade is only if you own both, not one or the other?

Nowhere are the complete 2nd edition games mentioned or offered for presale.

Also no mention of inclusion of long-awaited "Dice of Decision" module to go along with the second edition, so that's another 'upgrade' to purchase on top of all this?

What a mess.

I haven't checked Consimworld in a while, but at some point it the expansion kit was meant to contain 3 different parts:
-the more detailed air/naval system
-Dice of Decision
-upgrade that makes Dai Senso not broken

I'm assuming that the "2nd edition" talk just means that they are going to print the latest updated rulebook and throw it in the box too. I think the new maps are just supposed to have the alt-history borders for Dice of Decision, but who the gently caress knows.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Tekopo posted:

Hey guess who bought a big expensive piece of plastic???

Now put some jet counters on that sweet, sweet map

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

al-azad posted:

What about thickness? I've seen everything from 2mm to 6mm. I don't know if it would ever leave my house but I'd like something durable.

In general, thinner is better for playing since if your plexiglass is really thick it can occasionally be hard to figure out where a counter is supposed to be. Durability is not really an issue.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
For OCS Korea, I wonder if the variant that removes the limitations from the communist air force would make chinese phase more interesting? If I ever get around to playing the whole campaign, I was planning on using it anyway.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
The seventies game is based on the book(obviously) but they also released another game based on the movie when it came out

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
There's going to be some big stacks in OCS, it's unavoidable, but the start of Operation Uranus is quite an extreme example to say the least.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
I've been trying to find a solution that would let me set up the full campaign of Last Blitzkrieg and it's starting to look like some diy plywood monstrosity is the easiest, yeah.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Doesn't count as a wargaming table if you can't set up Case Blue on it :colbert:

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Haven't they been doing nothing but reprinting endless "new" editions of WiF for like 30 years now

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
BCS has the best box art

Just got BbF, I'm excited to get it on the table as soon as possible. Really loving the series.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Print and play wargames are a thing but nobody buys them because home printed components are inevitably terrible.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
If he lands on a frozen lake is there a roll to determine if the ice breaks

Is there a weight table with national modifiers to determine how much the leader weights? (Lighter officers fly farther, heavier ones have a change to cause craters upon landing)

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Re: gender politics and wargames, my favourite part of No Question of Surrender is that it has two counters that represent Susan Travers and only one for Rommel

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Sleekly posted:

Those of you with holidays planning on getting any big games in over the break? I'm hoping to get in a few games of Colonial Twilight and maybe a big huge Next War Poland game with a bunch of stuff from the supplement.

I played a game of Victory Roads over christmas holidays few years back and now I feel like I should set it up again. I'm worried that this will lead to a weird tradition where I have to explain to someone why Downfall is a christmas movie for me.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

Does anyone play lower-level ACW games? That's a topic I know next to nothing about. I know of The US Civil War (GMT) and Civil War (Victory), but nothing really about other scales. I just ordered Stonewall Jackson's Way because it was $20 and the GCACW series looks intriguing (not to mention the gorgeous maps).

I have one GCACW game, the old AH version of Roads to Gettysburg. The maps are indeed a work of art and I'm a big fan of the game in general. The system is really easy to learn but exciting as hell. Counter density is very manageable even in the full campaign games. I love how the super detailed road maps often lead you to fight over insignificant crossroads or bridges in a very historical feeling way. I've always wanted to pick up some of the reprints but for some reason they're really expensive.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Commissar Kip posted:

I wanna get me some plexiglass for all these paper maps. What thickness would you guys suggest?

As thin as possible

Mine is 2 mm thick and it's great, if the plexiglass is too thick it starts to look like your counters are floating above the map and it can be hard to tell which hex they are supposed to be in.

Obfuscation fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 28, 2018

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Looks like super light weight gamey trash, CIA should play OCS instead

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

:siren: ATTENTION ALL MONSTER GAMERS :siren:

Compass Games to re-release designer signature editions of all four of GDW's Third World War series in late 2018/early 2019...

all in a single game box!

EDIT: I guess this is oldish news, but I just found out about it, okay?!

Oh man I've wanted those games for a long time, but this sounds like it's going to be really expensive.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Doing your D-Day landing in Smolensk is a brave idea, I'll give you that

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Sleekly posted:

lol what actually moves progress along that track?

You gain approval by:

-Attacking with panzer divisions. You don't need to succeed, just attacking is enough
-Retaking cities, which happens very rarely

Mostly you just lose approval which results in increasingly common Hitler tantrums that cause a bunch of penalties.

Liberty/Victory Roads are great games.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
I'm the guy who absolutely loves BCS and I think the best way to deal with the rules is to set up the game and start pushing counters as soon as possible. Lot of the stuff that feels complicated when reading the rules becomes much clearer when you are actually doing it. Most formation activations are actually really simple stuff where you just walk your dudes up to the enemy dudes and roll on combat table.

Two things that I found complicated at first:
-Read the stack activation rule(3.3, I think) carefully, it's fairly important to everything else that follows
-Check out the Unit Capabilities Chart from the charts, it answered several of my questions regarding support units

Also the blob rule is pretty much always unambiguous in practice. Either your formations are mixed or they aren't. The original 1.0 rules were more explicit about how to figure it out but it's kinda messy and more prone to exploiting, I think, but you can easily just use that rule instead.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

cenotaph posted:

To my mind this is literally worse than 40k roll-a-die level BS. The section I bolded is the ultimate :jerkbag:, and the idea that you should rely on prior experience for determining the validity of a retreat path is just bad design. We all haven't been pushing counters since the 70s. Write a rule or don't. It's a shame because the rest of the system looks pretty sweet, which I guess is why it bothers me so much.

For the record, both of those are rules that changed between 1.0 and 1.1 rules. Originally, 1.0 had more complicated and supposedly complete rules for both cases, but I think people kept asking about weird edge cases so much that those rules were changed to the current form. And yeah, I agree completely that rules should always be clear and unambiguous.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Panzeh posted:

I think the problem is they don't want to make huge scale scenarios and generally in ww2 the best context for more geographically sane scenarios is airborne/amphibious ops.

If current GTS games are supposed to be sane, I'd hate to see what a huge GTS game looks like. Doesn't Greatest Day have 10 maps or something like that?

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

Anyone know if Nicaragua has been the subject/setting of a wargame?

Central America from Victory Games in eighties. I actually own a copy and I've always wanted to learn to play it, but so far the rulebook has defeated me every time.

As a curiosity, I think the game was primarily designed as a vehicle to argue that a) a commie Nigaragua is an existential threat to United states and b) land wars in countries that are mostly jungle are actually great, and easy to win

Obfuscation fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 3, 2018

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
If you aren’t using Oregon Laminations branded angle grinder to chamfer all the edges of your blocks, what are you even doing in this thread

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
I read from CSW that the Brazen Chariots, the BCS game about Brevity, Battleaxe and Crusader is about to start shipping.

I'm still slightly on the fence about buying it, I like BCS a lot but I don't usually enjoy desert games that much. Also it's a 3 map game and I can't physically set that up which is a bummer. (Fortunately, the game includes a 2 map variant scenario for entire Crusader too.)

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
I've been neglecting my board games for a while now, but I finally managed to play an entire turn of BCS Baptism By Fire.

This is the opening setup for the campaign game. This is the Combat Command A of the US 1st Armored Division, with an attached Infantry Regiment for support. They are in a horrendously vulnerable position around the city of Sidi bou Zid, Tunisia, and are about the get attacked by two German Panzer divisions.

This is the situation at the end of turn 1, aka February 14th. The Germans actually rolled terribly, but the CCA still got trounced.

Germans only succesfully rolled one out of four second activations, and they failed three out of four fatigue rolls. In the very first combat of the game, the irreplaceable German Tiger Company rolled up to fight the Shermans in Poste de Lessouda and died. CCA armored elements managed to flee largely intact. Good news for the Germans is that most of the attached infantry is dead. TF Waters is stuck and isolated on their hill and down to one step. TF Drake tried to retreat but was overran and defeated. 3/168 inf battalion managed to retreat to the CCA HQ, but they have already lost 4 out of their 6 steps.

Next turn/day, elements of Combat Command C will join the remnants of CCA and try to defend Sbeïtla for as long as possible. The Germans lose their elements of surprise and they get a negative command modifier for the next 4 days as the high command is trying to decide what is the best way to exploit this unexpected success. Depending on how the activation rolls go, the Germans will try to pursuit CCA, consolidate their forces near Sbeïtla and crush the US units there with overwhelming strength.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Cessna posted:

Okay, explain to me as if I was a child, please.

Advanced Tobruk. It looks like it is a whole system of games at this point which covers lots of WWII.

Does this use the same system as - or an updated version of - the system from the old Tobruk game from Avalon Hill?

Yep, that’s correct.

I’ve never played Tobruk or ATS but from what I’ve heard it’s the system to play if you really love penetration statistics and angled armor plate thickess calculations.

Edit: Critical Hit is a terrible company but I assume that at least part of their products are okay since they are still alive

Obfuscation fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 3, 2019

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
The Hungary game sounds cool, I hope it comes out reasonably soon. Last I checked the next BCS game was also going to be about Hungary, I wonder how far along that is.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
That was my first thought too... Last Blitzkrieg has 4 maps and 6 countersheets and it’s ”only” $132, I guess maps are cheap to print?

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

Oh wow, RIP Richard Berg. I think I'll play some GBoH in his memory.

That’s a shame. Berg was a very notable character at Consimworld back when I used to follow it and he was massively prolific as a designer. I own a bunch of his games and while I didn’t love all of them, June 6 has always been one of my favourite games.

Obfuscation fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 27, 2019

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Was reading the OCS rulebook and couldn't figure out the ZOC example in the 4.x portion. Still can't. Why does the 44th (? don't have the rulebook on me) infantry not have a ZOC and why is it important to know? I feel like it's important but can't grasp why. At first I thought it was an enemy counter, but then realized it was the same color (should've had a note on that in the example). But even then I don't see anything in the ZOC rules saying why they can pass through or how that's relevant.

This one?

The 44th Infantry is a German unit, aka friendly to the moving stack, so it negates the enemy zoc from the Russian 19th infantry division in the same hex.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

Are the Pax games wargames?

No, they are peacegames, duh

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Uuuh yeah if we want to start talking about people who run wargaming companies then warning, GMT is a giant can of worms

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

GMT Games is majority owned by Gene Billingsley, who is a convicted child molester. He was in prison because of it about 15 years ago. When the news about this spread in Consimworld the management of GMT made promises about how the company would be rearranged to remove Billingsley from the ownership but that never happened. Since then he has been using Google's right to be forgotten page and other tools to hide most mentions about this but you can find him from the sex offender database with a name search.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

tomdidiot posted:

While I do not believe for one second that child molestation is justifiable, I think the overly puritanical attitude about never giving the person a chance to be a functioning member of society afterwards is particularly helpful either. From what I can tell, he went to jail for three years, which is the penalty deemed appropriate by a court of law, and was released 15 years ago. To continue punishing people decades after the event happened only leads to permanently disenfranchised people. As long as proper safeguards are in place, and he does not re-offend, I do not believe he should be barred from being a functioning member of society. If he re-offends, that is obviously a completely different matter, and he should be sent back to jail.

That's an extremely reasonable attitude to have and I haven't personally boycotted GMT products either. I just brought it up because I think that a) hurting other people is magnitudes worse than having bad political opinions on Twitter and b) everybody has a right to decide for themselves what they think about GMT and completely forgetting about the issue takes that chance away from them.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Also, I wanted to make a post that is actually about wargames:

I finally got over my dislike of Vassal and I've been playing the full campaign of BCS Last Blitzkrieg over the last month or so, very slowly, solo.

Here's the situation around Bastogne in the middle of turn 4(Dec 19th). 116th Panzer has been doing great, they just bypassed the city and are advancing northwest largely unopposed. Pz Lehr still hasn't taken their activation this turn, but the plan for them is to surround the city and the 101st Airborne from the south and then move on to the west instead of getting stuck fighting with the 5 ar paratroopers.

To the north things have been also going well for the Germans. They were amazingly lucky on turn 1 when possibly the worst German division in the game, 3rd FJ, had pretty much perfect rolls and made a huge breakthrough on their own, which then allowed 1st SS Pz to exploit the hole and get deep into the American rear in the first days. Germans took all the three victory hexes in the picture earlier this turn, but a counterattack by 82nd Airborne retook Trois Ponts while failing to recapture Stavelot. There's two more newly arrived US divisions, 1st and 30th ID, so I'm expecting that the 1st SS will be mostly defending from now on. There's two more SS Pz divisions advancing to the south of them though.

But yeah the campaign is really long, 16 turns total, and the Americans are about to get a ton of reinforcements in the next few turns. It's been really enjoyable so far, and I'm a big fan of BCS in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Squiggle posted:

What game is that, I want it

It's MMP's GCACW series, it's a fantastic system