Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

utana
Jan 14, 2008

Pierzak posted:

Huh, nothing like seeing random pics of my RL friends playing obscure games on BGG. I'll have to play that one.

Also, recommend some good SF wargames? gently caress the past, the future is where it's at :colbert: Bonus points for drones and hive races.

VVV: Space Empires 4X is about the only one I know.

If you don't care about buying an used game: Starship Troopers, the one published in 1976

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

utana
Jan 14, 2008

AlphaDog posted:

I'm not sure if this is really the right thread, but I can't find anything closer.

I'm in the mood for something simulation-y and fairly to very detailed. I want a game set in the Age of Sail, that can preferably be played by 2 (or more, I guess) players in a single-ship to squadron level engagement.

From reading a few reviews, it looks like Close Action is the game I want. Has anyone played it or can recommend something similar to what I'm after? I'm not super interested in Sails Of Glory, because it looks like I'll end up spending a shitload on miniature ships if I buy that, and it looks a bit... simple.

Close Action is a great game, if you don't mind detailed rules. But is best played with multiple players, each one controlling a single ship and trying to coordinate using signalling flags.
If you plan to play with only 2, look at the Flying Colors series. There is an AAR at the second page of this thread.

utana
Jan 14, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

Are there any cool boardgames about the Afghanistan intervention (the Soviet one)?

You could try the Afghanistan game here: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/sspp/departments/warstudies/people/professors/sabin/consim.aspx
Not great, but it's the best I've found about the Soviet invasion.

Tekopo posted:

On another note, I bit the bullet and bought Combat Commander: Pacific. I'm interested in the theater of operations because frankly I don't know anything about it, but does it stack well with Europe and Mediterranean?

The Pacific one gives more control to the players. The cards let you jam or deny your enemy's weapons, and you can revive your units without using dice. Events are less common and they aren't as powerful as the ones in Europe. You could say it's more a game and less a series of unfortunate (and sometimes hilarious) events than before.

Also nationalities are more diferentiated, Americans want to set on a good position to use all their firepower and artillery and Japanese will be trying to force melee combat.

utana fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 10, 2013