Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
So I want to own a Hex rear end war game, but I don't have many people to play with. Outside of playing online options nothing beats just seating down and hashing it out, ya know?

So I'm wondering what should I buy that is not too intense for the average player, but would still qualify as being full of tactics and hexes. I like Memoir 44' but it boils down to the luck of the draw, I've played several games where I just wasn't getting any cards for a flank, and it was demolished while my cards lay idle. I haven't played a ton of games but lets say it is a 2/5 game problem where I am just stuck with a bum hand that will let me order 1 unit a turn, while my opponent crushes my under ORDER 4 UNIT cards and strafe runs.

I am personally interested in Combat Commander (Europe probably, why not) but wonder if anyone else has anything to throw in. I am razzed up by the system of attack cards possibly causing random events that make things a bit hectic, I'm not entirely against random components in game but, it shouldn't run wild. Any suggestions for games to look into? Modular boards would be a plus if that sort of thing exists outside of memoir, but not mandatory in anyway.

P.S: Second choice would be Advanced Squad Leader but that seems a bit above and beyond CC, but what do I know (almost nothing.)

PROTOSTORM!!! fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
I just found the hypest poo poo ever at goodwill for 3 loving dollars.

Mother Fuckin' Struggle of Nations by that Avalon Hill, I've been scouring for board games every single time I walked into the local goodwill, finally found something worth picking up that is in relatively good condition. As far as I know these seem to be all the bits, unpunched. Awesome Awesome Awesome find.

http://imgur.com/a/1tq2Z Threw up a gallery of the components, reading this Scenario Folder as soon as I post this.

edit: And I am completely hurled out the window as it dawns on me that there should be 2 more folders marked "Rules" and "Charts" as I look at the first text heavy page of the Scenario Folder, that states I have read the rules already.

PROTOSTORM!!! fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 30, 2014

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Have you been able to find those online? Wonder why they left everything untouched but took out the rules, probably they read them and decided to give up :v:

As hard as I tried they seem to be completely lost, or named under something dumb besides every searchable option of "The Struggle of Nations Rulebook". Doesn't help some people used the same name for a very very in depth print and play.

I'd hate to toss the stuff now, since it is actually in really tip top shape, the pages aren't even frayed, paper is doing fine, the cut out boards are a little bent but that doesn't seem to be bothering the pieces.

My last ditch effort was to email Hasbro and hope they somehow have this stuff lying around or some weird Avalon Hill addict digs up some spares who reads the email and just happens to work for customer service. If anyone wants what I am pretty sure is a semi complete copy of The Struggle of Nations minus the Rules and Charts Folders (the boards aren't particularly flat either, you'd have to remedy that with a lot of books, or running out and making a new copy of the map) I'd really enjoy trading it off for something you won't ever play again.

I was really super psyched just to find a drat board game that wasn't trivia based at Goodwill, I'm fairly sure my partner would never pick the game up, although they were intrigued by the idea of having to study the section of history from the scenario book to get a better understanding of how to play.

Also like, MAN, even though I have the supplies. Photo copying extra copies of these summary sheets for each game you play (or using a white board).

Alternatively, if someone want to photo copy the books and send me a PDF or something that'd be great.

PROTOSTORM!!! fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jan 31, 2014

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Post in the forum section? Did you look in the files section? This is for BGG.

Right It'd be smart to post on BGG as well, but I already checked the page, no files, and someone made a thread in 2012 about the rules, and came up with bubkiss.

Best that could be done is to buy another copy at 15 dollars for its folders.