Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

VoodooXT posted:

Let's face it: we're gigantic history nerds. :smith:

Interestingly, I had zero interest in any sort of military history before I played a few of these wargames. I have enough acquaintance with Cold War history that playing Twilight Struggle didn't really get me to read any history. However, when I played Andean Abyss I got really interested in learning about all the events (and I shared the punch-in-the-gut feeling that Paper Mac mentioned a few posts ago). Then when a buddy introduced me to Hannibal: Romve vs Carthage I got really sucked into the history of the Second Punic War -- I watched a documentary on Hannibal and then read a book on the Battle of Cannae. If you'd told me two years ago that I would read a book on the history of an ancient battle, I would have told you you were crazy.

It works a bit the other way, too -- now that I read War and Peace last year, I'm interested in trying some Napoleonic games (especially featuring the Battle of Borodino) if I get the chance.

This weekend I played Sword of Rome with some friends. Three of us were totally new to the game (though two of us had played Hannibal: RvC, which shares a lot of rules). I played Rome. The Greeks got hammered pretty early by a Roman/Etruscan/Samnite alliance. By Turn 4, the score was 7 for E/S, 7 for Rom, 6 for Gaul, and 3 for Greece. Then I (as Rome) backstabbed E/S in a particulary ineffective manner and at the start of Turn 6 I was down to 3 points. *sigh* We had to call the game at that point due to time. I enjoyed it a lot and would play it again, although you have to be aware that the combat is really unpredictable and can be brutally swingy. And, as above, knowing that we were playing out a historical conflict (and recognizing a few of the general names) added an extra layer of interest to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU