Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Tias posted:

Wait, are we talking cardboard or computer games, here :confused:

I thought they were putting out the tabletop edition, you see.

quote:

In addition to providing four highly interesting factions that each present distinct strategic problems, the game offers one of the most involved and technically satisfying solo rule sets I’ve ever encountered. The solo system is comprised of “bot” decision trees for each faction which are built upon a complex algorithm developed by the extremely talented Oerjan Ariander. Each side can be controlled by these AI decision trees such that a game can consist of any number of bots and run smoothly (you could technically run a game entirely of bots if you’re that kind of person). The detail and scope they provide is astounding, particularly when you view the U.S. bot which actually performs differently depending on the policy of the President in Office (JFK, LBJ, or Nixon). That may be one of the most interesting and stellar details I’ve seen in a game design.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1245201/all-wrong-people-remember-vietnam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

silvergoose posted:

Wait how was he related to asl

He destroyed rhode island's game development, but...

Curt Schilling is a co partner at Multiman Publishing (MMP) which is the company that bought the rights to publish ASL stuff from Hasbro in the late 90s.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah, COIN games boil down to "Wanna do what's on the card? If not, pick one of four things from this menu. The pick one of four things from THIS menu."

Yeah I watched a youtube video where a teacher was having his students play Fire in the Lake in the classroom and giving an AAR at the end of the game. If he managed to get four high school kids to play through it without too much trouble, I can't imagine it's super difficult.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Fat Samurai posted:

ASL Starter Kit for 12€, unpunched... I know I'm never going to play it, but I'm very tempted to get it just to take a look at it.

The starter kits are pretty manageable if you've got any other hex and counter war game experience. The scenarios are fun and the game doesn't get bogged down with too many rules that don't add anything to the experience.

Then again, despite owning a bunch of ASL modules, I never really played anything other than infantry. The rest of the stuff was a chore to get right and a battle that lasted an hour in real life takes 6 to play when you add armor and the rest of the rules.

edit- I may be exaggerating a little but not much.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

MikeCrotch posted:

Try playing any detailed plane game, usually around 45 minutes a turn to simulate 6-10 seconds of real life combat. At least for poo poo like Birds of Prey/Speed of Heat/Whistling Death anyway.

Also didn't Combat Commander never cover armour and remains infantry only to this day?

Yeah I bought Whistling Death back in 2005 right around the same time the ASL starter packs were getting being released. It's another game that's sat in my closet unplayed for nearly a decade. Maybe I am just a bad wargamer.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Anyone want some old Advanced Squad Leader stuff? I have the boards and counters for Beyond Valor and Paratrooper (and counters for ASL Starter Kit #1). The boxes with the 1st Edition rulebook and mission for both modules are in storage back in California but I won't be back there for a couple of years. I haven't touched this game in more than 10 years so the stuff is just taking up space. If you want it, pay for shipping, and it's yours.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

COOL CORN posted:

DIBS shoot me an email at ianblake at gmail. I haven't gotten plat back yet.

I have scans of the scenarios, so I don't need those, and I can always pick up an empty box on eBay :)

edit-- I've actually been dying to get back into ASL, I just haven't had the money. If I get this, I promise to do a full scenario LP :shobon:

email sent

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Your ASL stuff will go in the mail tomorrow morning. Post Office closed early today and I didn't make it home in time. I will send something via email with tracking info for it.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

al-azad posted:

I feel like a real designer!

I also feel exhausted. How the hell do some of these people pump out games on even a yearly basis?

Why do you have an unclassified logbook on your desk?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

For whatever reason I am getting the ASL itch. I used to own the 1st edition ruleset, Beyond Valor, Paratrooper, ASL SK1, and one or two other things back around 2006-2009 or so. I hadn't played in years and gave away all my stuff (in this thread I think) a few years back. I am looking at starting back up and am wondering if just getting an electronic version of the rulebook and picking up Beyond Valor is the easiest way to dive back in? It's been more than 10 years since I've played a game but I do remember graduating from the starter kit and starting to get into the less complex scenarios in Paratrooper and Beyond Valor.

I wish there were a way to just get the scenario cards from the Start Kits since the first one seems to be out of print.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You can get the latest SK rules and some scenarios at:

https://mmpgamers.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=6

If you want to get the EASLRB, from wargamevault, keep in mind it won't cover the SK rules at all. As for SK scenarios, there are ways... :filez:

Well I hate money for some reason so I bought the EASLRB and then went back and got the Pocket Bundle and Beyond Valor.

If anyone has a good source on where I can pick some scenarios while I wait for all this to ship just let me know. It seems like most of the old grogs are stuck in the stone age. I was gonna check out some of the Rally Point scenarios but you can only buy them in physical form. It's 10 sheets of paper that you are paying to have shipped to you instead of just printing at home...

Hekk fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 5, 2022

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I went out to a local meeting and played face to face Advanced Squad Leader for almost 7 hours today. One of the group members walked me through some basic infantry stuff for a bit before another newer player and I sat down and played through Gavin Take. We definitely weren't the fastest players ever recorded but we did manage to cause some crazy edge cases in routing, prisoners, and close overrun that slowed things down a bit. I learned a ton and had a really good time so I will definitely go out again to the next meetup.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

StarBegotten posted:

Hi :)

In the UK here and having heard a lot about ASL over the years, I kind of find myself wanting to pick it up and give it a try.

I found the links to the ASL Academy youtube channel really helpful.

I was just wanting to check that picking up ASL Starter Kit #1 was a good way to start off?

Assuming that I like what I see, would there be any point in picking up Starter Kits #2 and #3 or do you think I would be better off just getting the main rule book and Beyond Valor? (Assuming I can find it, seems it hard to get here!)

There are a few rules simplifications in the starter kits but nothing that would make transitioning to the full rules overly difficult. There are even some SK groups that exclusively play SK rules scenarios. Beyond Valor is $132 and the pocket rulebook bundle is $95. You might save a few bucks and get the EASLRB and spend $60 instead. Either path still means spending $200 or more on a system you have no idea that you will enjoy.

Meanwhile SK1 is $28 and has some pretty fun scenarios. If you enjoy it and know you want to jump right in, go ahead and pick up Beyond Valor and a Rulebook. Otherwise SK2 introduces artillery and anti tank guns. SK3 introduces vehicles and tanks. SK4 is the Pacific for some reason and I’ve never played it.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

StarBegotten posted:

Well my ASL Starter Kit #1 arrived today, going to tinker around with it tomorrow, wish me luck!

Nice! There is a fairly active ASL discord server if you haven’t found it yet. It’s got a bunch of euro time zone folks on it who might play on VASL if you are looking for opponents.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Advanced Squad Leader

I have a few other modules to pick up first but this is definitely on my list. The Korean War module I mean.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

inferis posted:

I looked at this one, what else would I need to buy in order to play it? It’s kind of hard to figure out what is what looking at the website. It says that it’s not a complete game by itself but it doesn’t specify.

If you haven't spent much time with hex and counter war games ASL is very much jumping into the extreme deep end of the pool.

To play, you'd need ASL Pocket Bundle, Beyond Valor, and Forgotten War.

You will also need 8-10 Plano boxes or some other storage container to hold the several thousands of counters you'd need to punch and sort.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

mllaneza posted:

I checked the OP first, but what's the current favorite counter corner clipper these days ?

Oregon Lamination Premium 2mm Radius Deluxe Corner Punch Cutter Rounder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYPSBYW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DYCHC7VTRM6PCZJ2T974

That’s the one I bought. There are reports of the plastic handle breaking on people but I just don’t mash it down all the way. There is some give after it cuts a counter and when it bottoms out. I ease up before then and haven’t had any issues. I clipped all of Beyond Valor 3rd Edition and a few counter heavy GMT games with no issues at all.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Hypnobeard posted:

How do you remove your counters from the sprues? X-acto? Pizza cutter? Something else?

I just punch them out by hand. You can feel how much you have to bend the counters to get a clean break. I clip all the corners anyway so it’s not worth being precise. In fact, I’d argue that you spend less time just clipping them with one of the Oregon tools than trying to exacto them off sprues and the results are infinitely better too.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I didn’t know there was an SA board wargame discord.

I go through periods of being intensely interested in niche hobbies and usually cycle through the same 2 or 3 over and over again.

I have been pulling out the Great Battles of the American Civil War game I bought 2 years ago and getting the itch to clip counters until my hands cramp up.

Does anyone mind sharing the discord link with me?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Have any thoughts on GBACW? I have a punched and clipped copy of Into the Woods sitting on my shelf for the past couple of years that I’ve never gotten on the table. I know comparing tactical scale (GBACW) to operational (GCACW) is apples to oranges but I’m curious whether one might scratch a similar itch as the other since the focus is ACW for both.

I understand that GCACW is extremely well regarded but it’s also fairly expensive. I don’t know that I am several hundreds of dollars interested in the series.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The streams arent popular, but I still hold them twice weekly whenever possible.

ASL is one of those games where if I have the time and energy to dedicate to it, I’d rather play something myself than watch someone else play in real time. It’s a fascinating system but it’s brain burner and the pace is kind of glacial.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Your opponent can strip concealment a few other ways in their movement phase too.

A12.15 - Concealment can also be lost due to attempted enemy movement (not advance) into a concealed unit’s location. Whenever a non-berserk infantry/non-charging Cavalry unit attempts to move into a Location containing a concealed unit during the MPh the DEFENDER must immediately reveal at least one concealed unit in that Location and thereby force the moving unit back to the last Location occupied before entering his Location.

A12.152 Searching: As each Good Order Infantry/Cavalry MMC, or moving stack that contains greater than or equal to one MMC, ends its move it may attempt to reveal concealed enemy units in Accessible hexes by expending one additional MF in its present hex and making a Search dr, provided that all units making the attempt are neither Pinned nor using Assault Movement.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Count Thrashula posted:

Lord help me I'm looking back through my posts in here and I might start up my ASL collection again...

Keeping an eye out for a cheap 3rd edition Beyond Valor

:negative: can't believe I had all that plus the new Yanks plus Hakkaa Paalle and a bunch of other stuff at one point.

I am pretty sure this thread or the previous one was where I gave away all my first edition ASL stuff. I’ve bought Beyond Valor, Yanks, For King and Country, and Hollow Legions in the last few months.

There is something to be said about having a local group that are all willing to play the same game. Sure I could buy a bunch of other games with the same money but the logistics of coordinating play against other people who are also familiar with the system and want to spend time playing is difficult.

With ASL I can just show up with a few scenarios I am interested in and there will be someone to play against.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Played a fun ASL scenario this evening called ASL93 Tavronitis Bridge

https://www.aslscenarioarchive.com/scenario.php?id=56239

Germans come in on gliders to a dry river bed and need to wrest control of the bridge and surrounding area away from the Kiwis guarding it.

I played the Germans and while I managed to get control of one side, some terrible rolls on risky moves on the other, pinned and broke the assaulting units and the Kiwis upstairs in one of the multi hex buildings were still in control.

Overall it was a lot of fun and nailing a critical hit on otherwise useless 50mm mortars was a cool thing that happened that wiped out all of the defenders hiding in a foxhole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

SlyFrog posted:

I think I said before, I got a bunch of ASL stuff at a decent price, and then for whatever reason just kept buying.

I'm pretty sure I have (at least nearly) everything "official" for ASL up through line Festung Budapest/Red Factories.

And it's pretty much been all sitting on shelves for like 10 years now.

Are you interested in getting rid of anything? I am picking up core modules and have gotten new releases of Beyond Valor, Yanks, For King and Country, and Hollow Legions. I need Croix de Guerre and Armies of Oblivion, Doomed Battalions and whatever else is out there.