Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I just got NT in trade for Commands and Colors Ancients from a guy on BGG and I'm going through the rulebook and some of the videos. Can't wait to try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I'm no expert, but I think wargaming has moved far enough beyond Tactics 2 that it's not really relevant anymore and wouldn't give you a good idea of what the genre has to offer.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

That's for America in Flames.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I don't know if I'd participate but I'd love to see it.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Combat Commander was the first non-minis wargame I played and it's not that hard to pick up. If you're not used to the bullet-number rulebook they can be a little challenging, but CC has a thorough walkthrough of several turns of the game to help you get up to speed. Also a good chunk of the rulebook is just longer explanations of things printed on the cards so you don't have to read the whole thing to get started.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

King Chicken posted:

Chad Jnsen is really good at writing rule books and simplifying complex ideas, which makes Combat Commander a great entry into tactical wargames. It's not only suitable as a first game, but possibly the only one you'll ever need. There is lighter stuff out there, but go with a game that is actually good rather than worrying about gateway crap.

My only problem with CC for newer players is that it can be a pain to track down the earlier expansions, which the newer expansions are all dependant on. C&C:Ancients has the same issue.

When discussing Combat Commander people generally get hung up on the card aspect and the triggers, but honestly the variable game length and the multiple win conditions are what makes it my favorite game. Of course a lot of that is tied to the cards as well. It's definitely the only squad level game I care to play since the others always seem to have boring "take this building in five turns" sort of scenarios. Up Front is great for man-to-man scale but no matter what squad level stuff I try I always go back to CC.

Paratroopers, Mediterranean, and the core game are all on the reprint P500 right now so they'll definitely be available again eventually.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Tekopo posted:

Even though it is quite random at times and feels like a CYAO World War II game, I have to say that I'm really enjoying Totaler Krieg: most of the random elements are just setup for the struggle and the game itself is incredibly varied in terms of how you can approach the war. Somehow it seems to work though and the combat system is pretty solid (very reminiscent of No Retreat!, at least to me). I'd be interested in doing a huge Axis Empires game one day.

How do you like the card deck? It seems like it would be impossible to know what you're doing the first time through.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The card decks seemed like the coolest thing about TK when I was looking at it because of the way the model the consequence of choice. A big rulebook with no index and wondering how I was going to rope two other people into a multi-session game put me off buying it. But it looks so awesome. :smith:

Scyther posted:

Thanks for the opinions, it sounds like Combat Commander is the winner.

Europe is currently out of print but the BGG marketplace has some for very reasonable prices. Let us know if you pick it up. I'd be happy to answer questions, etc.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

VoodooXT posted:

It's getting reprinted in December, as per their monthly update that came out today.

And Paratroopers in November! Finally the gap in my map collection will be closed.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Despite really loving Europe for Combat Commander I never picked up Pacific. It seemed like it would be pretty boring, just the American setting up fire positions and hoping the Japanese didn't make it into melee, especially with the lower frequency of events. I also don't like the idea of being able to play two Asset Denied orders to completely eliminate an opposing machine gun. The designer basically admitted in one of the threads on BGG that he toned down the events to appease naysayers which seems really odd to me when you've already got a fanbase that already loves Europe.

Personally I'm comfortable with the level of randomness in Europe, and usually I hate much randomness in games. It's the kind of randomness that won't decide the game for you. It can mess around with you a little but if you feel like it's deciding games you probably haven't figured out how to play well yet. The only people I've had an opportunity to play against semi-regularly are pretty bad at the game and the only times I've lost have been blunders I made all by myself.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Going in to the specifics of each nation would take forever, but each nation's deck is subtly different in event trigger count and the types of events contained within. For instance, only the Russians have the Commissar event, and only the Americans have White Phosphorous. The British have lots of Marksmanship actions so they can increase the FP of their attacks without relying on MGs to used sustained fire with. The order distributions are different as well, but usually only one or two off in either direction of the base. The Italians have a couple more Command Confusions and also have more jams because of their crappy MGs. The French have a pretty good deck with a terrible discard limit.

Then of course there are the stats on the counters. Germans are pretty all around good, as are the British. The Americans, like in ASL, have poor morale on the front and good on the reverse so they go to ground quickly but recover easily. The U.S. also has above average FP and tons of boxed stats so they can use all the nifty actions to represent all the gear they had. The Russians have lots of guys with mediocre FP and bad range. The French and Italians are pretty mediocre in all apsects. Each nation also has a leader:squad ratio where the Germans are generally the best and the Italians and Russians are the worst. With more leaders you'll have more options to set up your troops and maybe a backup leader if one of them goes down.

It's not that stuff like this isn't present in Pacific but I read all the changes in the Rulebook (especially to events and actions) and the invasion scenarios look a little dull so I didn't pick it up. Hearing things like easier hand management and fewer/less potent events scares me off a bit because tricky hand management and planning around bad stuff happening are really appealing to me in Europe. I'd be willing to give it a shot but I don't want to buy it just to do that.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I washed the metal pieces to remove any release agent that might have been on them and then painted on a couple of coats of gloss varnish. If they come off :shrug:

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Putting all the counters from Europe in the included tray is probably harder than just doing baggies. I did it when I got the game and after a couple games decided to order some more. I have one tray per nationality plus a system markers tray.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

You were applying terrain bonuses to your morale rolls, right?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

It makes attempting to rout your opponent a rather unattractive proposition for elimination or retreat unless they're in the open or on a road. Routing can be good to burn an otherwise useless card from your hand without discarding or to run the clock faster.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I've been mildly interested in Attack Sub for a while because it's similar to Up Front. Definitely post your thoughts when you try it.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

We played Cuba Libre last night and I really enjoyed it. It took me a while to figure out what I was supposed to be doing to win (which is a problem I usually have when learning variable power area influence type games) but after it clicked it went a lot more smoothly. I enjoyed how the game slowly layers bonus effects on to the 26 July faction. We also had a player leave early so we replaced them with an AI, which was handy. It was really close at the end, with the Govt and DR tying with one point off of victory and the AI syndicate and I being a point behind them.

I also like the basic flow of the game that the cards create. Sometimes you need to pass because you absolutely need to take the upcoming card. It creates some jockeying for turn order which doesn't seem very common in pseudo-wargames but it's a gameplay element I like very much.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I really appreciate a game's ability to put you in the mindset of someone doing abhorrent things just because they'll let you win.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

So the reprints of Combat Commander Europe and the Mediterranean expansion are shipping now, if anyone was looking for them. Reprints of the Paratroopers and Stalingrad battlepacks are due to ship soon, along with the new Sealion expansion.

I've been working my way through the Musket and Pike series rulebook and I'm liking what I see so far. The orders system seems really cool. I'm also watching the tutorial videos form GMT but they guy rambles a lot and it feels like there's about 25 minutes of information in the hour long video.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah when I first started with Combat Commander my buddy and I gave up on Hedgerows and Hand Grenades because we had no idea how to effectively attack in that scenario. I can't remember how long it dragged but it felt interminable.

A good bit of advice that also keeps the game flowing at a reasonable pace is that if you have fewer playable orders than your order limit, discard. Never discard one or two cards to set up a perfect hand.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Totaler Krieg looks great but it's one of those games I'd never get to the table if I got it. I can sell my group on a lot of stuff but having them actually read rules and make long term plans is a bit beyond what they're willing to invest.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Wizard Kings comes with a "usable" collection of eight units from each of the seven armies and then you buy blind boosters. It seems completely stupid.

Tekopo, I'm wondering what about Rommel in the Desert you like considering you've mentioned your dislike of X+ hits mechanics before. The dice aspect has kept me away from Columbia block games despite the everything else about them looking pretty nice.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Riso posted:

I can tell you one thing, Julius Caesar doesn't use dice at all.

The rulebook says it has dice rolling for combat.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

For WWIII tactical Lock n' Load has the World at War series. I haven't played it but it's one of the only WWIII themed games currently being published.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Ilthe01 and I just finished up a game of Napoleon's Triumph on VASSAL. We had played before but it was a floundering mess of rules look-ups and mistakes so we just abandoned it a few turns in. It was still a floundering mess of rules look-ups this time but we didn't make too many mistakes. I won a "decisive" victory as the French with five morale to zero but Ilthe got me down to one the previous turn and I called in my reserves to be safe. We both had a couple of terrible blunders. His was something earlier on I don't really remember the details of but mine was getting a full strength corps shattered by unnecessarily moving it up when I already had a decent position. I feel like I actually have a vague idea of how things work now.

Here are a couple of crappy screenshots.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I gathered from various reviews and discussion that the slow, attritional nature of combat was a very important concept to get one's head around. If I couldn't flank to dice up a corps I fed some mediocre unit into the meat grinder to hold my better stuff for a more decisive attack. Personally I like the tension of trying to maintain your line when you move. It's really easy to open yourself up to some pretty brutal assaults if you make a bad push forward.

We used skype. I can't imagine playing anything more complex than a C&C game on Vassal without voice.

Any advice on what to do with artillery? I find it kind of perplexing. It seems really hard to get into position.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Thanks for the arty advice. I don't think I put a whole corps in an approach the whole game. Also i think Ilthe is understating the flanking since I did it whenever possible even if I wasn't going to attack since I was trying to create disorder to make the Allies' command disadvantage even tougher.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

It depends on the player count and if you want to play for 10 hours.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

That's one of the reasons I like it so much. You can't deduce the optimal strategy and then hope the dice cooperated. It's got more texture.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I would like a non-poo poo warhammer game besides citow.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Gutter Owl posted:

It's called Blood Bowl, but it's not a wargame.

Played the PC version and it's not really my thing. I just want a 40k hex and counter game, preferably around the scale of epic. Hopefully that Armageddon game Slitherine is putting out will be good.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I've never really played a pc wargame but I should probably give them a shot.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Lichtenstein posted:

I'm currently suffering a sort of burnout regarding tactical games. The basic gameplay of "get your dudes in better cover than the opponent and fiddle with LoS" feels very by-the-book and procedural. I currently feel that the games in the genre are able to sustain attention only by:
1) Cramming enough poo poo on top of that - tanks! Smoke grenades! Unwieldy, yet powerful MGs! - to create space for interesting decisions to be made. Perhaps best exemplified by how much more interesting the second volume of the Band of Brothers series was than its predecessor.
2) Cramming a shitload of special skills and abilities to create space for interesting decisions to be made, as done by pretty much all non-historical games.

Basically, I need some back-to-basics, stripped down, yet sorta interesting tactical game to reclaim my inner peace.

Combat Commander if you like hands of cards.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

My Combat Commander counters are from the printing where they accidentally had side nubs in addition to the corner nubs so rather than round the corners and still have frilly bits on the side I used the scissors on my swiss army knife to cut the corners into perfect right angles. I had a dent in my thumb for hours.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Don't know how I only found out about this yesterday. Great War Commander. I hope it's good.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Ilthe and I played Up Front tonight and spent altogether too much time looking stuff up for what should be about a one hour game. I hadn't played in two years. It's a fun game though unlike Combat Commander it has a combined deck so occasionally you run into one player getting all the fire cards and the other player getting all the rally cards so you just sort of spin your wheels for a while.

Vassal screenshot where I will fail to eliminate Ilthe's Squad B and we neglect to put the relative range counter in the provided spots:

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Ilthe and I played two games of Up Front tonight. He won the first game in which the Vassal deck shuffling was inadequate and we kept getting runs of the same card type over and over again. I shot up his Germans quite a bit but I run out of fire cards and he waltzes to range chit 4 and drops beneficial terrain to win.

Here are my Americans in game one using all the drat smoke because I can't find a decent rally card.

We made sure to shuffle the deck more for the second game.

Things getting a bit bloody with three men KIA in each group A and one in the German group B.

The end of game two where we spent 20 minutes reading the :pcgaming: CLOSE COMBAT RULES :pcgaming: where the game really shows its 80s vintage. I win by double teaming his broken squad leader. I'm only two away from surrender with two men pinned so it was still close.

It's a good game and plays relatively quickly once you have the rules down.

cenotaph fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 9, 2015

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The constant jerking off to the founders in America makes me generally not want to play anything related to the revolution.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

If it's a first play just have a do-over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I remember one review where he was kind of cool on the game but I can't remember what it was.