Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Impermanent posted:

...is that picture for the hitler's war card a frame from the the Charlie Chaplin movie The Great Dictator?

It certainly ain't Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cessna posted:

The Chaplain pic sold me.

Wrong guy.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Yo everyone making GBS threads on ASL for being super complex just play Starter Kit 1

*cries*

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Thirsty Dog posted:

Starter Kit 1 is still incredibly complex

Wh- how?!

Moving, shooting, some rout stuff, bingo bango bongo

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Thirsty Dog posted:

Incredibly complex.

Why are you posting Starter Kit 4?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

A Strange Aeon posted:

Do we think ChatGPT could make playing ASL easier? I could imagine being able to ask an AI in natural language questions about rules and getting accurate answers back would make it easier.

Essentially getting an answer right away instead of waiting for a grognard on con sim world or BGG to answer your rules question.

I suppose the same would hold true for other complicated games, ASL just seems like the poster child as such.

God I hate ChatGPT and everyone on the discord tries to use it for making scenarios or playing and it sucks and is dumb and bad and everyone's all "look at me being clever tee-hee, I made a robot play my game" instead of just writing code

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Thirsty Dog posted:

Oh, my bad - didn't realise I'd gotten the wrong link. Is SK1 significantly less complex than that?

Yes

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Southern Heel posted:

I hadn't heard of Old School Tactical before. What would be the elevator pitch for ASL-SK vs OST for a primarily solo gamer? I like that Eastern Front there as a theatre off the bat, which is much more interesting to me than the Western Front/Pacific theatres.

*sharp inhale*

I've never played Old School Tactical. I looked it up on BGG on the blurb for it talks about the "unique" Impulse system which "varies the number of actions each side can take in a turn", which I'm pretty sure has been done before?

Regardless, it comes with 2 mounted maps, 4 counter sheets, 18 Luck cards, 54 Unit Data Cards(?) and some misc stuff like a rulebook. An example from the rulebook talks about needing to activate your units with points to shoot at an enemy unit, then the Russian player gets to use an action, then the German side, etc etc. It can be interesting to have a back and forth action where, presumably, either side can move units or shoot or perform other actions - though I feel like that must bog down play at some point. I've never been a fan on impulse/turn point systems where you have to pay to activate units (or you have a limited # of activations) because my full Order of Battle shouldn't be hobbled by the lack of command. But that's just me.

Starter Kit is a gateway to a much larger system - SK#1 comes with 2 maps, 1 countersheet, 6 scenarios, an aid and a rulebook. SK1 focuses more on Western Front combat, but there are a pair of scenarios in the East. Being SK1, the focus is entirely on infantry to better grok the system. The beauty of Starter Kits, and ASL in general, is that your interests can be catered to specifically. Don't like Pacific Front stuff? You can 100% avoid it and get products that only focus on the Eastern Front. The game's age and flexibility allows the system to offer a wide variety of battles and actions that you could dive into immediately (though I always recommend SKs, even if you go straight to #3 or #4 so you know what you are getting into). As a solo experience, SK is friendly to that as it doesn't have fog of war or other tricks that would interfere with play. In Full ASL, its not impossible to play scenarios solo (gently caress, I do it every Tuesday #searching4opponents) but you may need to view some house rules to adapt it to feel more organic.

Soooo.... OST is, overall, going to be at a lower pricepoint while offering a sort of WEGO system and a more succinct rulebook (vs Full ASL)

Whereas SK#1/2/3/4 have an initial low entry point, offering an IGO/UGO system and a dense catalog of content

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Southern Heel posted:

Fair play. I've spend the last hour reading why I should just go for ASL instead of SK but it looks like you buy the single rulebook and then a set of scenario/campaign packs for maps and counters? what a minefield...

For beginners, you can always go to MMPs website and download a selection of free scenarios they offer (which iirc are almost all Starter Kit scenarios) and grab a free copy of the Starter Kit rules to go with.

ASL products will generally tell you what modules you need to play them, but at worst, go with Beyond Valor. Its the initial module, focuses on German/Russian battles, and offers enough replayability for a long while if you enjoy playing the same scenario multiple times. Scenario Setups are very fluid, and dice are fickle, so you'll have plenty of reasons to wonder how it could play out differently if X machine gun didn't break there or if Y squad had managed to win their Close Combat fight.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sleekly posted:

actually re ASL as a totally new player to it i found making one of these markers really useful

i made mine from art store paper and glue. link below has a version you can use in VASSAL

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/phase-counter-extension.25657/

You have the phase wheel automatically with VASL on VASSAL.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Southern Heel posted:

Well, I've been making my way through the Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit #1 (henceforth ASL) first scenario "Retaking Vierville". It pits a small troop of US troops in the middle of a town being attacked by an East/West pincer of German troops, who are then relieved by another platoon of US soldiers from the North.

In terms of differentiation, the American troops have a better range, can assault fire but in general have a lower morale (to represent diving for cover, etc.) and typically have better leadership bonuses from their leaders. The Germans have higher numbers of troops on the ground initially, but must press their advanced to take and hold key buildings in the village before the US forces can consolidate.

The biggest problem I found with ASL is that there is lots of 'how' - dropping support weapons, the effect of being fired upon while moving by a troop which has fired already this turn, what happens when a platoon of troops fails a morale check to such a degree they drop a troop quality level, etc. etc.

What I am missing is the 'what', and 'why' - there are SO MANY choices - as an attacker do I fire from a prepared position, or move (firing at half efficiency) then advance (potentially into close combat)? Moreover, should I concentrate my troops into stacks or move them separately to draw out defensive fire? As Defender I have an embarassment of choices: in the attacker's movement phase I can defensive first fire (at full strength), subsequent fire (half strength), final protective fire (adjacent, causing a moral check on my own troops), or firing in my own phase of defensive fire (if I didn't fire in the attacker's movement phase).

I don't post this for answers particularly. rather to illustrate the density of the decisions that must be made whose effects are (for me) only tangentially understood.

The best way to look at what you should be doing with your units will typically revolve around equal parts the scenario's objectives, your available resources, and the current state of the game. Are the Americans weak enough that the Germans can try to advance on their positions? Is there a (set of) building(s) that you can move into and grab the defensive bonuses from? Do you have Assault Fire and how good is it? Can your infantry pop smoke in order to cover an advance by the troops with Assault Fire?

The beauty of ASL is in the choices that you can make, and while its hard to suggest exactly what to do, especially without seeing the situation, there are some maxims that people will preach, such as not stacking (Stacking can be good, or necessary, sometimes). You can also shoot in the Defensive Fire Phase even if you shot in the MPh, but its restricted.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Southern Heel posted:

I'm watching the ASL Academy videos about Vierville in an attempt to give it another bash and I've noticed a few things I'd not grokked from the rules:

Sometimes, the player is putting down a DM marker on a broken squad when it is fired upon without rolling any dice. There seem to be some criteria for this, something like "if it is possible to cause a morale check if you factor in all the negative modifiers and if the shooter was cowering" ?

Defensive first fire can be at any unit that moves within range/LoS, but subsequent first fire cannot be targeted against units which are not the closest unit?

I understand that for a unit to be a target of SFF it must have moved at least 2MF (not two hexes?) - but in the videos the chap declares that a unit has only moved '1.5MF' and as such couldn't be eligible as a target of SFF. Those units have moved way more than 1.5MF, is it something to do with the movement from the point that Defensive First Fire is declared onward?

The player/aujthor suggests that 'failure to rout' is one of the most effective ways to remove units in ASL - which materially seems to be 'keep a unit broken, apply a DM by firing upon it, then surround it so that it must move away from an adjacent unit but cannot?'

A10.62: With respect to a unit becoming DM when fired at on the IFT – Does the actual dice roll or result on the IFT matter in determining whether or not the target unit is placed under DM? If a unit capable of Cowering fires a 1 +1 shot on the IFT , and actually rolls doubles, is this sufficient to DM the target unit? If the firing unit actually Cowers on the dice roll (rolls doubles) is the FP reduced by two columns to determine DM?

A: The actual DR does not matter.

Despite the answer, you still need to roll for effects of the shot in Full ASL (Where Snipers exist)

Correct. Subsequent must be at the closest unit - this is why sometimes it is best to move up a unit that you can "sacrifice", have them absorb the shot, then move priority units afterwards. Similarly, a defender that opts NOT to shoot the unit that approached may now have to face them in Close Combat afterwards. Keep in mind that the restriction for SFF is Nearest known, ARMED, enemy unit, within range.

Its Movement Factors per hex, not total. A8.3 "The same unit/weapon can never fire on a moving unit in the same Location more times than the number of MF/MP expended (FRD, but a minimum of once per hex)"

Failure to Rout is a good way to kill units, because it usually means none of YOUR units are under threat while doing so. This, however, is highly dependent on your opponents setup, the map, your objective, your mobiility/units, etc etc etc. Essentially, preventing a unit from routing typically requires 3 of your units, all within LOS, and able to interdict. Shooting at a broken 5-morale squad, however, may use up fewer resources and overall be faster. If you DON'T DM your enemy's units, they still may not rally them without a leader - focus on those whenever possible, imo.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So i discovered recently that theres a super edition ultra complete version of world in flames. Almost makes me want to learn the system. I miss the LP of it :(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Panzeh posted:

I've got it. I can barely fit both of the main maps on my 72x48 table, even!

I hear that comes with the official version of the VASL module for it!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

I played it when it first came to the states and I thought it was amazing. I am a FB group member for the game and it seems weirdly complicated now- like ok I get the added strategy that planning for training pilots brings but the drat game is already super complex. All the LPs seem to go the same way, too- secure oil and then the rest of the game can happen.

There was more than one? I only remember Will_Colorado's thread and I'm re-reading it now and slowly working out how I would even put all this stuff together in VASSAL. Seems crazy, compared to ASL, haha

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Oh, also I've tried playing some Unconditional Surrender, finally, after owning it for so many years and it feels like a bit of a mess. Maybe its because I'm playing on VASSAL, but nothing feels organic, and I'm having to go back to the Rulebook AND the Playbook multiple times for every action, it feels like.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
No screenshots?!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
ASL SK1 is particularly easy to grok on the infantry only scenarios.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tekopo posted:

The discord is the SA Boardgoon one, but the wargames channel within it is pretty active, and has a lot of discussion in it about various games:

Link to the discord.

Thats a warthunder invite.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WiF is far more open but only if, as mentioned, you add the Days of Decisions "pack/game" to it. Its what adds the entire political layer. Factories in Flames makes production more rigid, but in a better way (originally, you would be able to produce units from anywhere and deploy them anywhere - which is suuuuper gamey)

But I must agree that World in Flames feels very old, it is clunky with its rules, with many options, variants, or little addendums to rules being unhighlighted or hard to confirm. There is so much that could be improved, especially with how the game tries to include the world in its setting.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was watching someone do an unboxing of the latest ASL product, Twilight of the Reich, and he mentioned that there was such a thing as an "electronic ASL rulebook"

so I looked around and found this:

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/344879/Electronic-Advanced-Squad-Leader-Rulebook

now, the last time I had played ASL, it was 2017 and while I do own the full binder rulebook and Beyond Valor (and Starter Kit 1), there was a time when trying to look up rules on the computer meant going through less-than-scrupulous means, but I figure that with this and the VASSAL system, I should be able to play the game completely digitally and legit, right? I'd just need to look up some scenarios, and those seem available elsewhere

does anyone own this product? any feedback I should be aware of?

The electronic rulebook is legit and has received multiple updates
I dont think theres a plan to make a version that includes the HASL-specific rules because something something versioning and ownership is hard to do in those circumstances.

Its like how the Journals and Annuals (and Special Ops) magazines, for the most part, got digitized. MMP has yet to make the journals past 10 available, and same goes for SPOPS after... 8? But the rest are available at a better price youll ever find on ebay or 2nd hand

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Also those scenarios look like Squad Leader, not ASL scenarios - no SAN or ELR numbers and different counter artwork are dead giveaways.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Looks to be it. Ive got plenty of free scenarios cultivated from the web I don't mind sharing if you ping me on discord.

Edit: also the ASL logo in the top right. Dunno when thay was officially introduced though

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cessna posted:

Hey, did you ever get any further with your "play the whole war in ASL" project?

If you read the thread about it! :smuggo:

Im very much behind on posting completed scenarios to it, but have finally achieved German invasion of Polamd status as of this month!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The streams arent popular, but I still hold them twice weekly whenever possible.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hekk posted:

ASL is one of those games where if I have the time and energy to dedicate to it, I’d rather play something myself than watch someone else play in real time. It’s a fascinating system but it’s brain burner and the pace is kind of glacial.

Hey I'm not saying my stuff is a must watch, I just use it to be able to document it. Play it at 1.5x speed, watch it in the background, whatever, I just think its cool to put it on video to see what the scenarios are like and how they play :)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tekopo posted:

Finished the Crete LP. Was a lot of fun and enjoyed the system quite a lot. Gonna be thinking about more GTS LP projects since it was a breeze to go through this one in 3 weeks.

One day I think there should be a Wargames LP thread where peeps volunteer to play every WW2 wargame published.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around ASL's concealment rules, and I'd like to ask if I'm grasping the basics correctly:

- the game starts, and the person who is setting up first gets to place the concealment counters [and units underneath the counters, if they like] that the scenario OOB allots to them ... but only in terrain listed in red on the Terrain Chart
-- examples of concealment terrain would be woods, orchard, grain, and wood & stone buildings

- the opponent then does the same

- then, every unit that does NOT have a concealment counter on it, will get one, if:
-- a unit is 17 hexes or farther from the nearest unbroken enemy unit
-- or, a unit is closer than 17 hexes to enemy units, but is not in LOS

- when firing against units underneath a concealment counter, the FP is halved; and this is one of the big reasons why a player would want to move in such a way as to preserve concealment
-- concealment can be removed from units, if they're attacked with a fire result that's enough to trigger at least a PTC (i.e., when making a 4 FP attack, the FP gets cut in half to 2 due to concealment, and then the DR has to be a 6 or lower to remove concealment, any higher means the concealment stays)

- a common way for a concealed unit, to lose concealment, would be if they move into an open hex within LOS of an enemy, or if they open fire

- units that have lost concealment, can regain it, generally by breaking LOS with all Good Order enemy units and being in concealment terrain, or by rolling a Final Concealment dr of 5 or less if they're within 17 hexes of enemy units but are in concealment terrain (plus modifiers)

I'm obviously skipping over a LOT of exceptions and special cases, but that seems to be the gist?

the way you would use this, besides the obvious deception tactic of getting the enemy to "waste" shots on a concealment counter that doesn't have anything underneath it, would be to, approach an enemy position, moving only from non-open hex to non-open hex to preserve concealment, so that any fire thrown against you is only at half FP. You'd still lose the concealment in, say, the final open hex when you move adjacent to the enemy, but at least you'd reduce the strength/volume of fire you'd take coming in - if the enemy is stingy and only takes low FP shots, then the PTC doesn't get triggered and you keep concealment (notwithstanding that concealment already cuts the FP in half), but if they dump a high FP attack on someone... even if they strip the concealment, they can't be doing that to every stack that's coming in

Taking a PTC [or worse] automatically causes loss of Concealment.

Concealment GAIN happens under 3 circumstances.

- Outside of all enemy LOS
- Outside of all enemy LOS, but within 16 hexes of the nearest enemy (Requires dr of 5 or less)
- Inside of any enemy LOS, but outside of 16 hexes to the nearest enemy and in concealment terrain (Requires dr of 5 or less)

If you check the Concealment Gain/Loss table you'll see Case I, J, and K.

Movement into an open hex may drop concealment, but hindrance can negate that. A10.531 is a great little thing to understand for that purpose.

Don't forget about residual firepower!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

by this I assume you mean that, if the firer rolls an IFT result equivalent to a PTC [or worse], then Concealment is lost, regardless of whether or not the unit passes the check.

okay, that's clear.

Correct. Dummies don't actually take morale checks except under specific circumstances, like Bombardment.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I literally stream twice a week what is wrong with ya'll

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Count Thrashula posted:

When do you stream I can't watch it if I don't know about it

Do you post it in the discord

Its in the OP of the ASL thread I did. Mondays/Saturdays 8pm EST

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Count Thrashula posted:

Sweet, I might watch Monday!

I'm always down for answering rules questions, even if I still haven't memorized them in their entirety :negative:

I've got as much errata as I possibly can so I almost always have something that'll help. And for the streams, well, I save them to my youtube channel so there's a bunch from prior months/years available.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
World in Flames

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Count Thrashula posted:

Don't tempt me...!!!

I did a solo thread not too long ago, you can be tempted.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'll get to it after I devise a system like World in Flames (and after I document all the possible docks/ports for an appropriate timeframe)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Don't forget to account for each port's tons/day offloading capacity and the maximum hull size each shipyard can fit!

I literally have those stats ready to go