Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Have you guys managed to play World in Flames? How is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

A bit late, but I played some Cuba Libre with some people on #boardgoons, and it was very very good. I'm still new at card-driven games, and they are certainly on the heavier end of the spectrum for games I've played in general (having just gotten my feet wet with Twilight Struggle).

All in all, good fun. Played the 26th faction, kidnapping people and raising terror. Had no idea what I was doing, but still a very enjoyable experience with a very compelling amount of depth. If it were only 2 player (not the modified 2 player in the book) with just 2 of the factions, I could see it being a little lighter than Twilight Struggle; with 4 people you have to pay attention to so much (not a bad thing).

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

There was Divine Right, some old wargame based on a D&D campaign iirc, but it's long out of print, and I'm not really sure how good of a game is due to its age.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

I just realized I have a wargame...that means I can clip the counters.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

What's everyone's thoughts on how World At War has aged? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and getting some grand strategic games soon, most likely TK, but keeping that option open for later.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Post pics if you got them :D

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

I haven't had the chance to play any real grognardy war games, but with the traditional hex and counter games, how is die rolling for combat handled? Will bad luck ruin your day or are there a lot of ways to mitigate it?

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Got my first wargame, ASL starter kit 1.

IT BEGINS

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Hey finally going to be trying out Fire in the Lake for the first time tomorrow; any particular factions certain types of players should play? How does each one feel over the course of the game? (All I've played is the tutorial in the manual).

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Well, so far I'm still having trouble actually implementing how ASL Starter Kit 1 actually works. After studying the book and reviewing some tutorials my mind starts to seize as I put the counters to paper.

Any other particularly well done lets plays or anything along those lines?

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

COOL CORN posted:

If there's any particular issue giving you trouble I'll do a mini-LP right in this very thread!

I would do a full thread for "Retaking Vierville" or something simple like that, but I feel like people would just be bored. If there's one thing I love, it's solo ASL.

The more the merrier, I would greatly appreciate it.

Foehammer posted:

This playlist does a decent job.

Thanks for this.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Gah Churchill went fast at csi :(

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

What are the really good card driven wargames (outside of like twilight struggle and coin). Any really good ones with more than 2 players?

Zombie #246 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 17, 2015

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Are there any card driven d day games?

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

What's pax romana like? The reviews I briefly glanced at suggested kinda randomized with gotcha events

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

This is kind of how I feel about Churchill, I don't think it quite has the mechanical tightness of your Twilight Struggles and Empire of the Suns but it's not bad and it's certainly quite unique. I hope more people expand on the concept- I think Herman said he was working on a Peloponnesian War game along the same lines.

I would buy that

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Hey so in 1830, something I'm confused on. Can you start a train run from any space, not necessarily a space that is your own station?

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

That looks pretty interesting, is the pnp available?

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Hmm okay that sounds more daunting.

Hey for wargames with a crt, is there a certain formula or strategy to them, like you would generally expect a certain odds to be reflected? I'm working on a game but I have no idea how to resolve combat, and anything I've thought about seems too gamey for the scope.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

Avalon Hill games generally assume that 3-1 in the attacker's favor is where you should start expecting to win, if that's what you're asking about.

Okay up that's what I wanted to know. How much does terrain or whatever influence those types of calculations? Move it a step or two up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Ah interesting. Do designers try to go for something that would produce historical results or just something that works for the game?