Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Panzeh posted:

Just got Skrmisher #4 which comes with GCACW Mine Run and Bristoe, and on the back is a little bit of the map for the next game (i think), GCACW Vicksburg.

You called it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Wait this is GBACW game number FOURTEEN?? I know I've been out of the board wargaming scene for a bit but jeez.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Panzeh posted:

G*C*ACW, GBACW's different.

It includes 4 magazines, but GCACW's been around since the 80s. It's why there's still some old Avalon Hill stuff on the boxes.

Er, that was a typo, but I still didn't realize GCACW had gotten so big. I played all the old Avalon Hill games and thought most of the MMP ones were just re-releases.

edit-- which I guess they SORT OF are, but looking closer they have new content, so they still count. And that count of 14 does not actually include the magazine releases!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, so i think MMP's new releases are Atlanta, Chickamauga/Chattanooga, Hood in Tenessee, All Green Alike, Petersburg, and now Vicksburg, some of which are released with old stuff.

Wouldn't be shocked if they did something to integrate Chancellorsville and Fredricksburg as a release at some point.

Yep, looks like that's all correct. Maybe the new Vicksburg game will include sort of that old stuff, like they did with On To Richmond II.

AH:
Stonewall Jackson's Way
Here Come the Rebels
Roads to Gettysburg
Stonewall in the Valley
Stonewall's Last Battle
On to Richmond

MMP:
Grant Takes Command
Battle Above the Clouds (Chickamauga/Chattanooga)
Stonewall Jackson's Way II
Atlanta is Ours
Roads to Gettysburg II
Hood Strikes North (Tennessee)
On to Richmond II (includes Grant Takes Command and Petersburg)
Thunder on the Mississippi (Vicksburg)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Lord help me I'm looking back through my posts in here and I might start up my ASL collection again...

Keeping an eye out for a cheap 3rd edition Beyond Valor

:negative: can't believe I had all that plus the new Yanks plus Hakkaa Paalle and a bunch of other stuff at one point.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 15, 2024

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
MMP is running a big bagged game sale, and I missed most everything, but I picked up a copy of The Greatest Day which I've wanted for years for $100 hell yeah.

Do I have room to play it? I do not. But I don't care.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

tomdidiot posted:

TBh, I don't think people actually play the full game - but it has lots of scenarios that will fit on a reasonably sized gaming table and are good fun.

I figure that's basically the case with 90% of monster games. It's all single map or part-of map scenarios unless you're at a convention or something.

Hell, I have the whole Der Weltkrieg set and set up all the maps once just to look at it, but other than that I've never played more than a couple tiny scenarios.

Oh no now I'm feeling the DW pull again, which means I'm feeling the World in Flames pull. The slippery slope is sloping...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Looking back through my old ASL folders and found this gem of a screenshot:

ASL: a cool game for normal-brained people

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

The GTS LP of Saar is done, with a decivise American victory!

Also cool ASL scenario, I basically ran that assault in GTS when I LPed Operation Mercury, but nice to see it at a different scale.

My copy of Greatest Day: SJ&G is coming today, and I'm really excited to dig into it. I feel like it hits that sweet spot between operational (but not OCS level because I hate ferrying around supply chits) and tactical.

Once GTS starts putting out eastern front games I'm done for.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I literally stream twice a week what is wrong with ya'll

When do you stream I can't watch it if I don't know about it

Do you post it in the discord

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its in the OP of the ASL thread I did. Mondays/Saturdays 8pm EST

Sweet, I might watch Monday!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

This is good info thanks! Ugh, I haven't even punched GJS, I don't need Utah, but I want it...

Any thoughts on the CSS system? I generally avoid Compass Games because they tend to be errata filled messes, but if it's the same designer that's tempting.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Ugh, okay well I'm not surprised at least. Compass and Decision are two publishers I will rarely touch for those reasons.

I do love that MMP is so free with their rulebooks and such online, I'll have to go peruse the other GTS games since I'm also keen on Bastogne and maybe the Market Garden one that's up for reprint.

Mercury looks fun too. UGH.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

tomdidiot posted:

I really wouldn't do Mercury as a first GTS. The Greeks add too much chrome, and the two sides are too asymmetrical. I'd go through the non-landing SJG missions and Saar first.

Oh sure, I'm talking way in the future. SJG is my only GTS for the near future, until my preorder for Utah comes, which I know will be a while.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Just saw on Facebook that Dean Essig passed away.

For those that don't know, he was the founder of The Gamers and had a hand in designing SCS, TCS, OCS, BCS... heck, name a Multiman Publishing game system and he probably helped design it.

Thankful to him for many, MANY hours of enjoyment.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
What's your favorite meaty, complex Eastern front operational game or series that I can play single map or less-than-single map scenarios from solo?

Is OCS still the king of that? How is it compared to EFS from GMT?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

World in Flames

Don't tempt me...!!!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Good advice - one of the draws of the system is the linkability, I know that Crimea and Third Winter are eventually going to be part of the huge combined 1943 East Front campaign game (after like 3-4 more releases). I'm tempted by those for that reason alone. I think I might go with Crimea and see where that lands with me.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Ha! I forgot I helped Chas with some proofing stuff on Croix de Guerre, and I just discovered that there's a 9-1 Free French leader with my (very uncommon) last name on. :cool: