Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

If you look on BGG, someone is posting their session reports of Rise and Decline of the Third Reich: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1563/rise-and-decline-of-the-third-reich#forums

It's a fascinating read! Huge operational game for all of WW2, and they're really playing it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Feel free! I'm actually really interested in AARs/Reviews, I'm going to do a few of them myself about GoG/NT/No Retreat/Other stuff I play once I get the chance to get some pics. Would love to see the thread covered with pictures like this one:

That fish-hook...

You want pictures? Here's one from my latest NT game!

I'm the French (blue). I just fatefully sent Murat into a deathtrap but managed to recover because the Allied player sent two of those three corps on his left around to turn my line, and my reinforcements sent them scattering.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

The french look to be in a tricky position, although it's impossible to tell without knowing the strengths of the units present. Really want to play more GoG/NT but it's difficult to find people that love it quite as much as me.

Definitely was a tricky position. I was constantly worried the Czar was going to smash through my admittedly decently strong lines. Really, it's just Murat that got hurt badly, other than that I was at mostly full strength.

Can't get enough of this game. And it's out of print, so getting it in a trade seems...good.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Talking about LPs, who would be interested in one involving Guns of Gettysburg? It's something that I've been talking to silvergoose about. Basically, the idea is to have the goons take a side (or ideally, if we can do it, both sides). Rule knowledge would not be required, with only basic concepts being told to the 'players'. The 'players' would have an hierarchy of sorts, while two mods (one per side) would actually play out the turns based on the plans of the 'players'.

I would!

...oh, wait.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Grey Hunter posted:

Sounds like a great idea, Goon on goon battles are always great fun. Its always a great way to showcase a game and introduce it to new players.

He's going to loving murder me, fyi.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Lichtenstein posted:

Not if you cheat. :getin:

Hoenstly, GoG has *much* less of a "OH poo poo I DIDN'T REALIZE THAT WAS THERE" feel than Napoleon's Triumph. In GoG, everything starts at 2 strength except the cavalry which you can see at the start, things are either 2 or 1 when they're hurt, and how much artillery your opponent can bring to bear is determined both by the units *and* by the tokens which you also can't see.

In NT, you send a corp against what you thought was a weak line and suddenly the next turn cavalry destroy your entire force. In GoG, you know the troops, and try to do things better than your opponent.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

There is, however, a very satisfying feeling when your opponent loses sight of the Iron Brigade (it's -2 on defense so it's pretty awesome), and you manage to sneak it to your other flank when your opponent isn't expecting it to be.

Too true, too true.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Also I'm in the process of losing a game of Guns of Gettysburg with Tek, and it's definitely a super cool game. I do also agree with his other note, though; I think Napoleon's Triumph is a superior game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I just superglued it at first and things seem like they've stayed on just fine.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Just take a gander at this: http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1774845/admirals-order-naval-tactics-in-the-age-of-sail-

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Whoops, thought this was the regular BG thread! Just got back from a convention, played a fabulous game of Napoleon's Triumph where the French player put out his battery way out in front of the Santon, a huge brawl started around there, and I poured enough troops in to not allow even his full strength reinforcements to break through. Decisive victory about 6 turns in, pretty quick!

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 17, 2013

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

One Pigeon posted:

Seems like you have all already chosen but just in case this pushes you over the edge, I'd like to vote for MR too.

Yeah me too.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Played a game of Leningrad over the weekend. General sense on the forums is that it's heavily biased towards the Russkies and (we played without the balancing variant) that that's probably true, I played the Germans, and was definitely at least one full turn short of being able to get a major victory, and significantly more than one or two minor decisions short of a minor victory.

It was fun, though, my very first hex n counter game. I'll hope to play more in the future, hard to pick those tiny chits up though. Need better nails.

I also got a game of NT in, smashed as the Allies, still undefeated. Someday, someday.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Post in the forum section? Did you look in the files section? This is for BGG.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Might get to finish my game of Totaler Krieg tomorrow: I might throw an AAR of it as some point. Don't have many pictures but I can bring a narrative if necessary. Anyone interested?

Very yes.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Trip report: Played Guns of Gettysburg, as the Union. I moved the objectives maybe half a dozen times, moving the main one back through the town right up Cemetery Ridge. The Confederate player ended up sending multiple charges up Cemetery Ridge, achieving the high watermark of the Confederacy. Second charge was, indeed, the late-arriving Pickett. Repulsed them both times on my next attack. He conceded early on the 3rd day when his artillery was no longer able to make such charges.

I'm still not sure just how much I like the game; I know it's quite good, and I want to play it some more, but the rules and attack flow simply don't work as well in my mind as Napoleon's Triumph. This was my first full play, though, and I definitely won't judge it until I get maybe two more, at least one from the CSA side.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

SU&SD has a "how to intro to wargames" article up. Pretty much just "here's some examples from some subgenres, but really, it's a kind of stupid question".

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

The recommendations in the article are all present in the different 'beginner' choices for the different sub-genres given in the OP :v:

Proof that they read this thr...okay maybe not.

Oh in other news, which is a bit old by now, Bowen Simmons is now Rachel Simmons, though she's using Bowen as a brand still since it's the website and BGG designer page and such. Will this signal a return to design and STAVKA and more? No one knows!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

I might finally get another game of Napoleon's Triumph. I've actually played Guns of Gettysburg more often than NT now so I'm pretty excited about getting to play NT again. I still feel like it is the superior game. I'm also likely to pick up Unconditional Surrender: has anyone got the chance to try it out?

Huzzah! Looking forward to a report! After having gotten in a full game of GoG, I definitely still feel NT is superior, but that GoG has its place in the world too.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

GoG is quite an experience generator, although I feel that the criticism that it 'isn't a game' is unwarranted. I will hopefully trip report on Napoleon's Triumph, hopefully I can make it interesting.

Know which side you're playing yet?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

No idea. I think the French are easier to play though, so I might give that side to the newbie.

Oddly, I have the opposite feeling. There's no good way to intuit how to place your initial detachments and the decision whether or not to bring on reinforcements is so central to French strategy that it can be a little overwhelming. Whereas, as the Allies, while you get fewer commands, you have the overall troop advantage and can just throw infantry at the enemy without it completely destroying everything.

Definitely just my personal opinion, though, and one probably borne from having played the Allies first. :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I'm glad you had fun, but yeah, NT is definitely a game where it's a bit rough on new players when playing experienced players. On the other hand, it's such an incredibly fun game that hopefully he had a good time anyway.

I'm curious; how did you think of my opinion that Allied is easier on newbies than French? Given that he didn't do so well, you might maintain your opinion, but I wanna know!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

I still think the French are easier, just for the simple fact that attacking is more difficult than defending in this game. Sure, later on in the game you need to attack as the french but at least you are aware of how to do it by the time it comes down to it, especially if you have seen what the Allied player is doing. On the other hand, you can get completely crushed as France if you aren't careful and deploy to cover all your bases/shuffle reinforcements around 2 hours before they are needed. Then again, the same is true of the Allies as the only thing you seem to be able to do is send human-wave like attacks against entrenched, on-approach positions.

I mean, my opponent did manage a penetration on my right, but he didn't have the reserve necessary to exploit and his attack got surrounded and then almost completely destroyed. If he had just a couple more corps to widen the assault he would have completely destroyed me on that flank.

*nod*

Makes sense; I think I was biased having watched half a game before playing my first game, which strengthened the core mechanics enough that playing as the allies was reasonable enough. Regardless, best game. Hope your opponent will play you some more!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Wrote Some Words about a wargame.

Finally!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Love the two AARs! USE does seem like a very interesting game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

He really did. And mentioned NT! Woo!

I might have been trawling old BGG reviews and sessions for NT while the SA forums were down. Perhaps.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

NT was $70 at retail MSRP, though I got it for cheaper on CSI. I think I won't bother recommending because Tekopo already has.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

inferis posted:

I could pay that much for such a beautiful game with amazing components I'm just scared of a rerelease announced the day after I buy it.

Yeah, it's rough. Rachel Simmons has not announced any sort of reprint or store-reopening at all, and there's no real expectation of such in the near future. On the other hand, no information is not really "nothing's coming", and STAVKA is more likely than more NT? I dunno.

I'd suggest asking around in your area to find someone who owns the game, and play it with them, and as a bonus you'll have someone to play with if you end up getting it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That is beautiful, I must say.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

dishwasherlove posted:

A mate and I are playing our first game of Napoleon's Triumph tonight. Last minute tips?

Honestly, just try to get the combat really truly *down*. Like, even the piddling little cavalry probes, go through the combat steps, make sure you get them right. Try not to think too too long, first games of anything are learning games for all, as you probably very well know.

That's about it! Key decisions are "which part of the board do I want to attack" (for the Allies for the most part, which is made during setup) and "when do I want to/do I actually want to bring on reinforcements" (for the french).

Enjoy! It's seriously a masterpiece.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

dishwasherlove posted:

I did some stupid poo poo to see how combat worked. Leading my defence with artillery was a high point. Have to do some more reading about how to more effectively use troops. You probe with cavalry to tie up some units on one flank then hit the other one with a corp right? We messed up that corp moves via road have to stop if you end up adjacent to an enemy (unless you are all cav) so there were some crazy big moves into combat. Whoops. Fun was had and now keen to give it another go.

Sweet! Yeah, generally you probe with cavalry on flanks because, if the enemy then tries to drive them away, they're cavalry and they can zip away like the wind. Sometimes you do it to hit big with a corp, yes, but sometimes just to empty a corp of troops so it's less effective in combat and movement!

As a note, road attacks are *always* feints (and must be cavalry), corp moves via road must stop if you're adjacent to an enemy, cavalry or not, as long as the corp is at least 2 units.

Feel free to ask any other questions here or just look up rules threads on bgg, there's uh a ton. Glad you enjoyed it though!

(leading defense with artillery can be good in weird circumstances, because it can reduce losses, so if you're pretty sure you can win with that or with a counterattack, lead with artillery and then they need to attack with cavalry or a 3 strength infantry to even force the counterattack, and if they don't, you don't lose *anything*)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

That's not why I did that :v:

Wait wait it took me like five or six views but I think I actually got it, christ I'm thick.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Lord Frisk posted:

explain it to me, I'm dumb.

Have you ever heard of a comic Ctrl-Alt-Delete?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Sorry Tek I was so loving pissed at not being able to get it that I blurted out the answer. It was pretty brilliant.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

With P&P and customs it doesn't even make it worth it for me to get into the sale. As well as that, there isn't anything that I really need pressingly from GMT atm. Thunder Alley is good though and you should try it if you can, it is a very simple, interesting racing game.

Funny, I just played this. Never really liked racing games before but it was lots of fun and yeah, pretty simple. Very neat ways the cards interact, too, where getting your cars all in a draft line let's you chain them effectively.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gutter Owl posted:

So I've become a lot more interested in Simmons Games products since learning that Rachel Simmons came out as transgender earlier this year.

What would the wargame thread recommend as a good introduction to her games? And can any of them be found at a reasonable price anywhere?

Napoleon's Triumph is my favorite game of everything right now, it's a little hard to digest, and is too expensive right now (not in print). Guns of Gettysburg is also fantastic, available right now, and shorter. I'm not sure if I'd say it's easier to digest though.

I think my suggestion would be, if you can find someone who has NT, have them teach you, it's genius. If you can't, buy GoG, learn it, play it with people, and try to find NT somewhere/somehow/someway.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Lichtenstein posted:

I might have traded some old crap for Flying Colors with an expansion. This leads me to several important questions:

1) Do I need to buy tweezers to remain sane while playing this?
2) Are limes necessary to hold off scurvy, or will rum suffice?

The rum is so that the sailors would drink their lime. Likewise gin for the quinine.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Arrion posted:

Actually the rum was so that the sailors would drink water that was stagnant in wooden barrels for weeks. But the lime was necessary for scurvy prevention, yes.

Well, what I mean is, grog exists simply because they had rum, and needed to drink citrus.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Guns of Gettysburg specifically is randomly historical. That is to say, reinforcements for each side come at somewhat random times during the first day (and then a little at random times in day 2 and 3) and so if things go just right, the Union might be driven back to Cemetary ridge. But if not, the Union might arrive first, have a wider line, have to defend more ground. Or the Union won't even get a corp for a long time, and suddenly they only have to defend a little but it's even further back from the ridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I mean, the black hats are differentiated in Guns of Gettysburg, kinda in the same way. I guess there's a better reason for that, but even so, it doesn't feel like that much of a big deal for me.