Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I'm lucky that I do the same route every day so I have a routine down perfectly, but when I was OTR I absolutely loathed the e-logs because it was just a giant stop watch in my face. If anything went remotely wrong it could have hosed up my entire run depending on how tight the scheduled load would be, and as someone already mentioned the company would poo poo all over me for "lack of time management/bad route planning".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

tangy yet delightful posted:

Drivers in the US at least get paid per mile. So the more strict the HOS regulations the less money a driver can make.

If routes are supposed to be pre-planned, speed limits are not supposed to be ignored, and driver hours are supposed to be capped, what's the point of paying drivers per mile?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If routes are supposed to be pre-planned, speed limits are not supposed to be ignored, and driver hours are supposed to be capped, what's the point of paying drivers per mile?

Exploitation.

A lot of drivers being against e-logs is a dog not wanting someone to ring the doorbell because every time the doorbell rings the dog's owner beats the dog.

Instead of punishing the dog's owner, the government keeps trying to re-engineer the doorbell.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Exploitation is correct. Now companies will say it's to encourage hard work and less time wasting. But really if everyone actually followed HOS rules to a tee then maximizing your time and getting paid per trip (or lane) would still reward that.

Smaller companies or even solo operations will pay on a per trip basis. Typically 70-80% of the linehaul. With 100% payout of the fuel surcharge and accessorials like lumped fees.

Of course this still incentivizes owner operators to break HOS rules so they can run more loads and make more money.

Current lane rates and industry rates per mile are artificially low as of a few months ago because of this HOS violating mechanic. Once ELD is in full effect shippers will have to pay more or truckers won't be able to pay their bills and capacity will further tighten as they go bankrupt.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

tangy yet delightful posted:

Exploitation is correct. Now companies will say it's to encourage hard work and less time wasting. But really if everyone actually followed HOS rules to a tee then maximizing your time and getting paid per trip (or lane) would still reward that.

Smaller companies or even solo operations will pay on a per trip basis. Typically 70-80% of the linehaul. With 100% payout of the fuel surcharge and accessorials like lumped fees.

Of course this still incentivizes owner operators to break HOS rules so they can run more loads and make more money.

Current lane rates and industry rates per mile are artificially low as of a few months ago because of this HOS violating mechanic. Once ELD is in full effect shippers will have to pay more or truckers won't be able to pay their bills and capacity will further tighten as they go bankrupt.

Aren't they already having problems replacing drivers as more people are leaving the industry due to poor pay combined with stress?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The laws regulate what drivers can do, we should be regulating what dispatchers can schedule. The trucker gets a fine for what his manager pressured him to do. Maybe A) assign all HOS fines to the company rather than the driver B) multiply them by about 10 C) ban any and all retaliation against the driver as a result.

I mean the real solution is actual worker protection so you can't just be fired for failing to violate the HOS laws to make an unrealistic deadline. But lol america.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
jb hunt is saying that they're expecting rates to increase by 10% or more this year, driven by electronic logging and retention woes. they have a significant amount of idle trucks. i imagine schneider/swift/xpo/hub are all experiencing the same.

'two weeks ago, we crested 100k applications for the year, so it sounds like there's no shortage. but we hired less than 2.5% of them. there are drivers out there, but finding the professional driver is difficult'.

they also complained about the poor service product offered by railroads as it impacts them(need to order more equipment to turn the same number of loads). the railroads, if they want to ride this wave of rate increases, need to be offering the best service product possible but are, typically, falling short. this should be approaching the time for slam dunk nearly double digit intermodal volume increases but most are only seeing modest gains.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Shippers are going to be shocked (maybe?) when formerly single driver lanes become team lanes especially if driver detention at shippers and receivers stays like it currently is. That's more $$ to pay for same speed of service right there.

I expect this overall will continue to drive owner-op and small company consolidation to get larger and larger. The big companies being able to drop trailers on both ends is a lifesaver with HOS compliance and therefore keeping your rates down to get business. I also expect to see more companies running trailer interchange agreements and insurance to allow for more drop trailer usage.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

A TURGID FATSO posted:

I'm lucky that I do the same route every day so I have a routine down perfectly, but when I was OTR I absolutely loathed the e-logs because it was just a giant stop watch in my face. If anything went remotely wrong it could have hosed up my entire run depending on how tight the scheduled load would be, and as someone already mentioned the company would poo poo all over me for "lack of time management/bad route planning".

As just a regular commuter, who has done a 100km or so commute for about 10+ years on around the same stretches of 6 lane highway, I've noticed the difference. gently caress me the trucks around here are in an increasing hurry in the last 5 years, and it doesn't matter if the weather is apocalyptic anymore. Snowstorms where I'd see trucks lined up in the offramp or at the rest stops waiting it out instead are a melee of trucks doing the absolute legal limit (105km/h here) trying to dodge the rest of traffic that are white knuckling it at 70.

I'm not complaining. Well I am but I'm not blaming the truckers. I've swam with them for years like a Remora weaving between the great whites. I respect their size and that a turn signal on a trailer doesn't mean "Can I come in?", it means "I'm loving moving over". We had an understanding. I'm the fast mover that uses the left lane, and they stay out of it. I merge fast so they don't burn up their brakes. I don't pass them on the right and if I'm changing lanes it's not alongside their trailer, it's past the nose of the battleship.

It seems like something has badly upset that equilibrium and it makes me unhappy. The truckers are more aggressive. They're hungry. Maybe it's this electronic monitoring, maybe I'm just tiring of the commute, I'm not sure. All I know is that in conditions where my aggressively siped winter tire equipped, xenon beamed, snow shredding machine seems inadequate enough that I seek shelter, the trucks keep going. Barrelling into hell. It's going to be a long winter.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It doesn't help that (I'm told, I got the gently caress out long ago) entry pay is going down, rather than matching inflation or even staying flat.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Javid posted:

It doesn't help that (I'm told, I got the gently caress out long ago) entry pay is going down, rather than matching inflation or even staying flat.

There's a healthy supply of people desperate for a living wage, trucking doesn't exist in a bubble.

The high turnover isn't a surprise. Recruiters will hit you with the "up to $70k a year!", they don't mention minimum wage in bad weather, waiting 12 hours for an unload at $20/day, incredible personal liability, suicidal 4 wheelers.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Yeah but lower entry pay just moves the "this bullshit isn't worth what they pay me" moment up a few weeks or months.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I work in event production and due to no one ever meeting a deadline we book most everything as a double drive but still poo poo is constantly tight. I am all for e-logs as it gives us something to blame when we push clients to make decisions.

In the lol department, we had a company cross load some gear into a different trailer after it left our warehouse. It was like 30' of huge wheeled scenery carts and whom ever crossed it only used a single strap. You can guess what happened. The carrier lied about it and claimed that it left our warehouse that way.

Fortunately, the person who loaded it for us took a picture before the doors were shut, so the carrier got caught in their lie. I have always taken a loaded pic and every few years I am reminded why I do it.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Kilonum posted:

Sure wish I finished training

EDIT:
Student With Idiot For Trainer
So What It's Full Time
Swing Wide Its a loving Trailer
Stop Whining I'm loving Trying
Slow While In Fast Traffic
So Will It Fit Through
Sure, We're Insured For That
See Why I Failed Today

Trucker joke I was told: (Excuse the language...)

"Do you know what Swift is backwards?"
"Two Faggots In A White Semi"

Edit: People are absolutely panicking about electronic log books in the produce industry. Shippers aren't able to get poo poo ready on time and never will.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
whats with all this e-log talk all of the sudden ? I'm in Canada, was there a rule change in the USA ?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jonathan posted:

whats with all this e-log talk all of the sudden ? I'm in Canada, was there a rule change in the USA ?

Yeah, december 17th they're mandatory. Canada is just doing Mandatory e-logs and stability control in new trucks.

Imagine how much fun stability control is gonna be with sensors caked in mud :allears:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

jonathan posted:

After years of delays e-logs are finally becoming mandatory in the US in the middle of December.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

No enforcement/fines till I think April.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Question, how many truckers run with dash cams? I see people try and murder themselves a lot with trucks and I wonder how many run dash cams to protect their asses from idiots in tin cans with 4 wheels.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Powershift posted:

Yeah, december 17th they're mandatory. Canada is just doing Mandatory e-logs and stability control in new trucks.

Imagine how much fun stability control is gonna be with sensors caked in mud :allears:

Just in time for Christmas! What could go wrong?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Just in time for Christmas! What could go wrong?

Christmas is cancelled, Santa is houred out.

there's a thread title right there.

My biggest worry is that it will be used entirely for punishment rather than safety. At the scale houses here, they have 300 sensors and scanners and cameras that stop just short of checking the driver's prostate as he drives by, they have no incentive to act until it's ticket-able.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

tater_salad posted:

Question, how many truckers run with dash cams? I see people try and murder themselves a lot with trucks and I wonder how many run dash cams to protect their asses from idiots in tin cans with 4 wheels.

I hope all of them. Hell I run a dash cam and I'm just that idiot in a tin can with 4 wheels. About 6 months ago I watched a Nissan SUV drift out of their lane into the trailer of a truck. Both of them pulled over and the damage to the SUV was epic. I stuck around, did the report, and then emailed the police the footage. The driver was spooked as hell and didn't speak very good english. I had to show him the dash cam footage to calm him down.

Also when I pulled open the door of the SUV to tell the driver to get out of their smoking car their phone was on the passenger side floor mat, and no sign of a cradle or holder anywhere. Officer agreed that the driver was probably driving and texting and that this was something they hated more than anything else in the entire universe.

8ender fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 16, 2017

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

8ender posted:

Also when I pulled open the door of the SUV to tell the driver to get out of their smoking car their phone was on the passenger side floor mat, and no sign of a cradle or holder anywhere. Officer agreed that the driver was probably driving and texting and that this was something they hated more than anything else in the entire universe.

Is this an actual thing ? My cell phone sits on the passenger seat. If I brake hard it ends up on the floor all the time, along with my DG paperwork and whatever else. Actually I don't know a single person in a passenger car who has a phone holder or cradle.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

jonathan posted:

Is this an actual thing ? My cell phone sits on the passenger seat. If I brake hard it ends up on the floor all the time, along with my DG paperwork and whatever else. Actually I don't know a single person in a passenger car who has a phone holder or cradle.

I do. I hate having my phone rattling about the cabin.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

There are savages that have their phone out but not secured in some way? Christ. I have it in a suction cup mount so I can at least see what it is when I get an alert.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I just jam my phone in the tape deck/8 track player, idgaf.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

tater_salad posted:

All of them? I always got my dad better and better dash cam models for his rig. It paid off a few years ago [whenever Tron 2 came out in theatres because I got the "accident' call that day]

Some shithead in a pickup decided that he ain't got no time for rain on California highways and decided spin out at 90 mph taking out 4-5 cars and going right into the truck. Dash cam caught everything and despite everyone having confused stories on who did what and who was at fault, CHP watched the video and cleared everything up.

Dad got a new rig out of the settlement but we kinda blew out, at his age he could have sued for lost wages/income and a few other things because it gets incredibly difficult to finance a new rig when you are past retirement age. Ah well.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Powershift posted:

I just jam my phone in the tape deck/8 track player, idgaf.

lol nice tiny phone bro

an open glove box is where it's at

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I take my phone out of my pocket when I get in the car and either throw it on the passenger seat (usually) or in the tray thing behind the stick after starting up the audiobook for my drive. I don't want to stuff it back in my pocket and I often charge it, and that's where the charger cable hangs out of the center console. I don't care much if it falls on the floor mat, it's never hurt it. I don't check it while driving, and the steering wheel and stereo controls work fine for pause etc after starting it. I don't think it's that unusual. If that's going to make cops think I'm texting with it then I'm going to need to figure something else out, that had never occurred to me.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I put mine in the center cupholders. Fits nicely. I want to get a mount but I haven't found one I like yet for my current car.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I put mine in the center cupholders. Fits nicely. I want to get a mount but I haven't found one I like yet for my current car.

This one works in any car. Yeah, it's kinda permanent (well, you can use goo gone to get rid of the adhesive if you ever remove it), but it's not falling off the dash like a suction cup mount would, and you can just toss your phone at it (once you put one of the included steel plates in or on your case).

I have 1 of those, and a suction cup one (also magnetic) in my car (don't quite need 2 phones for work, but having 2 makes it a shitload easier, since I'm often running multiple gig driver apps and all of them on one phone slows it down to the point that it takes 1-2 minutes to even load Google Maps).

The phone would probably fall off of a magnetic mount in an accident, but at least you're not distracted by trying to hold the drat thing.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I think it is much more damning re: texting to find it in the driver side footwell after an accident.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I have a magnetic mount that slots into the CD player. Works great as the CD player is useless, and it's a pretty decent viewing angle while driving.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

jonathan posted:

Lot's of people have phone cradles in Ontario, Canada. It's law to have your phone not in your hands and on your lap is a grey area. Almost everyone uses a cradle.

It's also worth mentioning that their phone was unlocked when I found it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I have one of the custom-fit Proclip cradle setups and love it. It was definitely pricey for what it is but it also holds my phone perfectly in place while off-roading.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

8ender posted:

Lot's of people have phone cradles in Ontario, Canada. It's law to have your phone not in your hands and on your lap is a grey area. Almost everyone uses a cradle.

It's also worth mentioning that their phone was unlocked when I found it.

What I meant was, if a phone is loose in a car, people automatically assume it was being used while driving. That sounds absurd.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Even with the phone in a cradle, in a wreck, the phone may take flying lessons anyway.

Especially if you're using magnetic mounts.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://cf-b2.streamablevideo.com/video/mp4/z75f1.mp4?token=1513685705-L7B9qW%2FO9n4vF2tx2VGQANP4JDj3y3SfGIZbAXyqL%2BE%3D

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I wanna see that guy have sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's me trying to play Euro Truck Simulator.

After a bottle of whisky.

• Locked thread