Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Red_October_7000 posted:

but that type of brake isn't common on cars,

Unless I'm misunderstanding that's the brake type on every car I've ever driven. The handbrake either drives a separate piston or shoes inside a disc/drum combo. A long as the disc is present the emergency brake can work.

E: truck question: I've seen a bunch of trucks in the UK recently with an lpg tank on one side. Are they lpg powered? (Unusual as all trucks are diesel here) or are they injecting lpg for a cleaner burn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
They are most likely running dual fuel system, natural gas and diesel, to reduce emissions and pollution.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Cakefool posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding that's the brake type on every car I've ever driven. The handbrake either drives a separate piston or shoes inside a disc/drum combo. A long as the disc is present the emergency brake can work.

On cars with rear drum brakes, the parking brake operates the same drums in back that the actual "I want to stop the car" brakes do, so I'd guess that'd be the same on a truck. So if the problem is that the brakes got hot and warped, then you're hosed no matter what.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Friar Zucchini posted:

On cars with rear drum brakes, the parking brake operates the same drums in back that the actual "I want to stop the car" brakes do, so I'd guess that'd be the same on a truck. So if the problem is that the brakes got hot and warped, then you're hosed no matter what.

Pretty much, there's 2 lines to the trailer(s) and the brakes are spring loaded, one line keeps a constant pressure that overcomes the springs, and the other is to change that constant pressure slightly letting you have degrees of application, rather than a binary on/off.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Friar Zucchini posted:

I've also had cars with 4 wheel disc that still used the regular brakes - the parking brake cable just yanked both calipers toward the center of the car when applied.

(Honda/Acura Integras do this, at least from 1990+ - I'd assume Civic Si/SiRs do as well)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ah gotcha, forgot about regular drums, which I have had. I assume dual fuel is part of the euro 5 or 6 emissions, clever.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
How much LNG is there over there?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Good question, I'd say for cars maybe 1 in 5 stations has it at best, I hope someone chimes in with commercial rates as I've never noticed it at the truck pumps

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

Good question, I'd say for cars maybe 1 in 5 stations has it at best, I hope someone chimes in with commercial rates as I've never noticed it at the truck pumps

LNG is not LPG! There are bugger all LNG stations in the UK. For LPG it is apparently about 1 in 8 stations that sell it looking at the stats. Driving an LPG only car takes planning :).

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Gas powered busses are pretty common in the major cities down here. Haven't seen any trucks though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've just had a catastrophic exhaust failure. Only 1 clamp remaining in the entire system. Melted air Lines, oh god the melted airlines. And they are all black, who's fuckin idea was that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tomarse posted:

LNG is not LPG! There are bugger all LNG stations in the UK.

:doh: skim reading is a terrible habit.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

almost witnessed a death today. me and the car in front of me were merging onto the highway behind this semi, and the ramp is pretty short so it isn't uncommon to be on the highway at 40mph. however the ramp makes a new lane so it really isn't a huge deal.

however, it is common for the lane next to us to be going to normal 65-70mph speed. when i hit the highway a JB Hunt truck flies past me, and the car infront of me merges onto the highway in attempts to pass the truck that was infront of both of us. queue JB Hunt slamming on his brakes. im honestly a bit surprised he didn't lock em up. luckily (or unluckily?) nothing happened but that truck probably needed new pants after that

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

ijustam posted:

almost witnessed a death today. me and the car in front of me were merging onto the highway behind this semi, and the ramp is pretty short so it isn't uncommon to be on the highway at 40mph. however the ramp makes a new lane so it really isn't a huge deal.

however, it is common for the lane next to us to be going to normal 65-70mph speed. when i hit the highway a JB Hunt truck flies past me, and the car infront of me merges onto the highway in attempts to pass the truck that was infront of both of us. queue JB Hunt slamming on his brakes. im honestly a bit surprised he didn't lock em up. luckily (or unluckily?) nothing happened but that truck probably needed new pants after that

Naw, you'd be surprised, had a car try and pass a set of triples as they where coming back over in front of me, made it to the rear of the second trailer before he figured out what was going on, since he flatly ignored the turn signals and almost ended up chasing jackrabbits. I didn't even take my truck off cruise control and made the fucker knock the piss out of his alignment.

loving Californians.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I have a friend who is writing a novella about a gay trucker and she needs some info straight from the horse's mouth, as it were. Do any of you have stories about illicit drug use or furtive unprotected sex on the road? Perhaps a stolen moment in a fellow trucker's sleeper cab, the loneliness of the trucker lifestyle finally becoming too much to bear, both of you desperate for the touch of another's skin.

The Ass Stooge fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 24, 2013

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

The rear end Stooge posted:

I have a friend who is writing a novella about a gay trucker and she needs some info straight from the horse's mouth, as it were. Do any of you have stories about illicit drug use or furtive unprotected sex on the road? Perhaps a stolen moment in a fellow trucker's sleeper cab, the loneliness of the trucker lifestyle finally becoming too much to bear, both of you desperate for the touch of another's skin.

Is this set in modern times? Or is it some kind of silly story?

I mean this poo poo has been around forever:

http://g.e-hentai.org/g/354020/6252a5a348/

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

What the hell was that, IV8? :catstare:

Straight from your own collection, eh?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Cakefool posted:

That is the definition of a legally required emergency brake, (mechanical backup) so I haven't the slightest idea what that poster is talking about.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

What the hell was that, IV8? :catstare:

Straight from your own collection, eh?

:getin:

What's even stranger is there is poo poo like that from all over the world.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

DJ Commie posted:

That is the definition of a legally required emergency brake, (mechanical backup) so I haven't the slightest idea what that poster is talking about.

A lot of automotive emergency brakes make the assumption that the hydraulic system will fail and use mechanical means to engage the hydraulic brakes (ie. Cable actuated calipers), which won't work if you brakes are merely overheated and not suffering from hydraulic failure.

Other systems will have a separate mechanical braking system in addition to the regular braking system, ie. a set of mechanically actuated drum emergency brakes on a car that has 4 wheel hydraulic disks.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
This happened here today!

Turns out the driver had warrants, so he got to go from the hospital to jail. Fun times!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Javid posted:

Turns out the driver had warrants, so he got to go from the hospital to jail. Fun times!

Free food?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Strawberries. The deer are gonna have a great night.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Javid posted:

Strawberries. The deer are gonna have a great night.

Oh yeah, isn't it hunting season over there?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Ayup. I am no poo poo considering driving down there just before dawn tomorrow.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children

Javid posted:

Wait, you don't have any security railings on your bridges? :psyduck:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

There is a small cement barrier there, but a semi at speed will basically laugh at a 2 foot wall.

It's at the end of a VERY slight curve, I don't think they expected anyone so lovely at driving that they'd manage to overshoot it.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

The rear end Stooge posted:

I couldn't believe that things were getting blown this hard on a barren highway in Tennessee. I was deadheading Nutcup while taking a load. His rig had taken it up the rear end from a tiny little Italian car but somehow despite the size it had managed to mangle his fifth wheel pretty hard meaning he was out of commission until he got into something new. It was nice to have someone else in the cab with me on the long haul drives, it gets kind of lonely, only having the big whip antenna connecting you and the yammering jaw of another anonymous roadie as you pass in the night trying to fulfill your basic human needs for hours at a time. But not now, now I had a yammering jaw in my cab and I made sure it was working overtime. We talked about everything under the sun that we could think of; sports, politics, working out, accessorizing our assless chaps, QUALCOMM issues, religion, schools, Obama, and most importantly, the best making GBS threads spots along I95. I may have gotten a bit distracted from driving as he had a mouthful on some point and his coupe de grace on the entire thing left me a bit distracted from the road and I may have hit a bit of debris. Thinking it would be ok I was completely wrong, the big thick wheel in my hand started shaking and I had to grab it real hard and wrangle it to keep it under control. I started having to jerk it harder and harder until nutcup looked over and said "It feels like something is about to blow". I agreed and not wanting this trip to be completely finished, I brought everything to a stop to rest and see if we could continue or just finish right there. I disembarked the cab and wondered if maybe the nuts hadn't been looked at thoroughly, causing an imbalance, but a whistle from Nutcups side and a shout of "Come check out the size of this bulge" let me know what was up immediately. As I crossed over to his side I saw him standing there and a 6" long and probably 10" in diameter bulge poking out from the sidewall. His beater bar was in his hand but it was limply held in his hand, we both knew that there was no way to handle the tire failure without some roadside assistance. We thought of maybe limping it along slowly to a nearby service station but that tire looked ready to blow and the lightest breeze could have set it off. So nothing really gay happened but that will probably give you an idea of how much you yearn for more than two minutes of human contact at a rest station where you're just hoping that shithole who parked his truck at a pump and when inside to take a half hour dump gets back at some point.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Muffinpox posted:

I couldn't believe that things were getting blown this hard on a barren highway in Tennessee. I was deadheading Nutcup while taking a load. His rig had taken it up the rear end from a tiny little Italian car but somehow despite the size it had managed to mangle his fifth wheel pretty hard meaning he was out of commission until he got into something new. It was nice to have someone else in the cab with me on the long haul drives, it gets kind of lonely, only having the big whip antenna connecting you and the yammering jaw of another anonymous roadie as you pass in the night trying to fulfill your basic human needs for hours at a time. But not now, now I had a yammering jaw in my cab and I made sure it was working overtime. We talked about everything under the sun that we could think of; sports, politics, working out, accessorizing our assless chaps, QUALCOMM issues, religion, schools, Obama, and most importantly, the best making GBS threads spots along I95. I may have gotten a bit distracted from driving as he had a mouthful on some point and his coupe de grace on the entire thing left me a bit distracted from the road and I may have hit a bit of debris. Thinking it would be ok I was completely wrong, the big thick wheel in my hand started shaking and I had to grab it real hard and wrangle it to keep it under control. I started having to jerk it harder and harder until nutcup looked over and said "It feels like something is about to blow". I agreed and not wanting this trip to be completely finished, I brought everything to a stop to rest and see if we could continue or just finish right there. I disembarked the cab and wondered if maybe the nuts hadn't been looked at thoroughly, causing an imbalance, but a whistle from Nutcups side and a shout of "Come check out the size of this bulge" let me know what was up immediately. As I crossed over to his side I saw him standing there and a 6" long and probably 10" in diameter bulge poking out from the sidewall. His beater bar was in his hand but it was limply held in his hand, we both knew that there was no way to handle the tire failure without some roadside assistance. We thought of maybe limping it along slowly to a nearby service station but that tire looked ready to blow and the lightest breeze could have set it off. So nothing really gay happened but that will probably give you an idea of how much you yearn for more than two minutes of human contact at a rest station where you're just hoping that shithole who parked his truck at a pump and when inside to take a half hour dump gets back at some point.

Thank you. Thank you so much. This is precisely what I needed.

nutcup
Jun 27, 2004

:heysexy: PUBLIC TOILETS :heysexy:
Yeah, nothing gay there at all. Completely No Homo Trucking Inc. haulin nothing but questionable sexual orientated loads right up the terminal. I don't know how this gay orientated trucker poo poo got started but you gotta tell me to stop, which I cannot. Either way I get somewhat embarrassed while reading that poo poo. I am as heterosexual as they come in me. Hauling cars over the road head was probably one of the more enjoyable things that almost drove me to suicide. I don't know how much actual gay poo poo goes on out there constantly all the time, but I definitely wouldn't want anything to do with half of those dudes on the road with their tight jean covered glutes and sweaty swollen rear end lipsnnnNNYYEEEUUGHH THO GOOD, gently caress that.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

nutcup posted:

Yeah, nothing gay there at all. Completely No Homo Trucking Inc. haulin nothing but questionable sexual orientated loads right up the terminal. I don't know how this gay orientated trucker poo poo got started but you gotta tell me to stop, which I cannot. Either way I get somewhat embarrassed while reading that poo poo. I am as heterosexual as they come in me. Hauling cars over the road head was probably one of the more enjoyable things that almost drove me to suicide. I don't know how much actual gay poo poo goes on out there constantly all the time, but I definitely wouldn't want anything to do with half of those dudes on the road with their tight jean covered glutes and sweaty swollen rear end lipsnnnNNYYEEEUUGHH THO GOOD, gently caress that.

I'm more worried people will get the culture completely wrong. Nothing brings me out of a story faster than loving up a simple thing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

one of those loving days.

Edit: and then I get blocked in by someone having a worse day.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 28, 2013

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
So I gotta moronic question. Can you guys compare/contrast cab styles and what makes a "good cab" in terms of interior decor? What kind of interior design is most efficient for living out of in the long term. I'm really fascinated by tiny housing and Big Trucks seem to be the most distilled version of that.

By extension I'm also curious about seat technology and what makes a good instrument/control cluster.

Thanks for your time!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Along the same lines, what do all the gauges and switches do in, say, a fairly modern OTR truck?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

Along the same lines, what do all the gauges and switches do in, say, a fairly modern OTR truck?

Guages are any combination of: Tachometer, Speedo, coolant temp, oil temp, oil pressure, first diff oil temp, second diff oil temp, transmission oil temp, primary air tank pressure, secondary air tank pressure, brake application amount, turbo "boost", fuel, Diesel exhaust fluid (for Euro trucks).

Switches: Engine fan, Lights, engine brake, engine brake level, diff lock, cross lock, air bag suspension dump, lever for trailer brake application, general interior lights/AC stuff. The big red push button is the prime mover (sorry, tractor) "parking" brake, the yellow one is the trailer brake supply.

I'm sure I've missed something in that, doesn't seem like enough.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 29, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:stare:

I assume there's about a billion alarms to tell you when something is up, right? Because no way in hell can it be safe to constantly scan all of the gauges.

I know there's usually a buzzer for air pressure, but that's the extent of my knowledge.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

:stare:

I assume there's about a billion alarms to tell you when something is up, right? Because no way in hell can it be safe to constantly scan all of the gauges.

I know there's usually a buzzer for air pressure, but that's the extent of my knowledge.

On some of the "older" Volvos they have a nice HUD and a alarm, sadly, the alarm sounds the same if it is alerting you to low washer fluid or warp core breech.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

I hate it when people hack Eurotruck Sim2.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Note that a fleet truck will have like 1/10 of those gauges and only the controls you absolutely need to make the truck move forward because they assume you are the stupidest piece of poo poo possible and/or it saves them money to omit them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Don't forget exhaust temp, volts, air filter clogginess, suspension pressure, and a clock because why not

• Locked thread