Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Works bought a fleet of MAN TGM 15.290 4x4's to turn into fire vehicles/gang trucks and then a pair of TGM 33.440 6x6's to use as Bulk Water Carriers.

The 6x6'are loving unstoppable- we've got them set up with tip trays too and with 16t in the tray the thing dragged itself through nearly 3' deep mud and water without issue.

Im also convinced that the ZF 12 speed Manualmatic gearboxes in them are powered by voodoo- RARELY do you need to intervene because its stuffed up a gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Javid posted:

gently caress knows what a road train weighs.

On average, 176,369-264,554 lb. Quads are up too 298,726 lb and if its a quad with a Tri-drive prime mover and tri-axle dollys, they top out at 374,785 lb.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Rudager posted:

Biggest factor is we run b-double combination's for any inter-city work, and even alot of intra-city work too, and it's a hell of a lot easier to just pull back curtains on both trailers than to split it all up, slide the body on the A trailer back and forwards and put it all back together again.

For example the absolute best case scenario for the truck in the wiki article (which is about 85ft long all up), is that he's going to have to reverse the entire combination onto a dock, drop the B trailer, hopefully have a second dock there to put the A trailer on, then once it's all unloaded/loaded, put it back together again. That's the absolute best case scenario, and it very rarely works like that, most places will assign you a dock or be too small to maneuver a B-double around in and then the job is more like, drop the B trailer somewhere out on the street where there's enough room to break it up, put the A trailer on the dock, once it's loaded/unloaded, drop it somewhere else out on the street, pick up the B trailer, put it on the dock, once it's unloaded/loaded, drop it on the street where there's enough room to put it back together again, grab the A trailer and put it back together again.

It's alot of work and a massive headache compared with just rolling in and pulling back the curtains.

I think its also how much freight gets unloaded at places without a dock too- think about the number of outback towns that are serviced purely by truck and all they have is the 200m of sealed road through town (to keep the dust down) and the forklift thats kept out the back of the pub. Its a nightmare to unload a truck purely out of the rear if you cant drive the fork into it- you'd have to pallet truck everything to the back and fork it out from there. Side load you just swing back the sides, park the truck in the middle of the street and have at it.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Is there a reason they dont run the big 6x6 or 8x8 euro trucks up in that slop? A big 6x6 MAN or Iveco or Kamaz on lumpy super singles would have to be easier than dragging 6x4's on road tyres out with a bulldozer day in day out.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

We've got MAN TGM15.280's and a few TGS33.440's at work, both with the ZF 12 speed self shifting manuals in them and they are absolutely aweseome to drive- Really smooth off the line and at very low revs, easy as hell to drive offroad too and if you want you can drop them into full manual mode and control it all with the stick on the side of the wheel.

Only time ive ever felt let down by them is occassionally they will skip shift a bit too abitiously- you'll go up a gear too far and lug the engine a fair bit, but they have a mode where you push the go pedal down further than the first stop and it will kick it down a gear and make it hurl towards the redline before changing if you hold it flat.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

At least the snow should put the bushfire out right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

The amount of water being pulled into the exhaust and blown out the stack through the drain hole is impressive!

• Locked thread