Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Seriously? This is nothing, like absolutely nothing. If you have trouble driving in this you need to get your drivers licence removed.

Yes I always love the folks that feel the need to remove themselves from their steel safety cage and walk around in bad conditions in fleshy glory. People who get out of their cars in a crash are bad at life.

If your car is badly mangled, time to get on the other side of whatever barrier / ditch exists and wait for help there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I hate the 5mphers
But I also hate people who ride my rear end when I'm keeping distance from the guy doing 20 in a 40.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Me: Oh boy another video where someone tries to drift in the snow and does something stupid
*watches video*
me: NO NO NO that's not what this is at all!

That had me crapping my pants and I'm inside on a computer chair.

I wonder if he could framebyframe that bitch and get the numbers off of the truck door.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Krakkles posted:

I'm not sure about other states, but if you're traveling through California, this is advice I'd be cautious about - state law says you can only mount things in a couple of certain areas:

Edit: it's CVC 26708 if you want to read more (there is more)
Is this enforced in nanny-state cali?

Most states have stuff like this but usually I think it's used as a secondary reason to initiate a stop based on profiling. My wife has driven with a GPS in the middle of the window in NYS for years and had no issues.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Krakkles posted:

I've seen people pulled over for it but not cited - so yes, it's typically used as an excuse to stop somebody, but I wouldn't call it secondary.

It's secondary.
The first reason they want to pull you over is you're driving around a nice car in a bad area at 2am and the officer wants a reason to smell your car and see how nervous you are. But since it's not illegal to drive your car in a bad area at 2am they need other reasons..

Example. In a city that's known for it's less than upstanding characters, someone was pulled over at 2am and their truck smelled badly of weed. They smelled the weed and searched the car.. found several pounds. Case was thrown out because there wasn't a justification for the initial stop. Had they had a GPS in the window that's the "reason" for the stop, to either ticket or warn the driver of their obstructed view. .

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Where's the part where you got back to your bed and nutcup gently your rear end in a top hat back loose again using the the mud from your coveralls?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

jamal posted:

Hasn't altering the emissions system always been illegal?

Not on a federal level I don't think states have their own laws about emissions devices.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

No just retards who can't drive apparently the vette also smokes Em around the 60foot. If you drip the clutch and mash the gas you aren't going to go anywhere fast.

Edit: Vete not better stupid auto correct

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 13, 2014

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

When you're hauling 20 tons what's another ton or less to the mix.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

HOLY poo poo! Are they right hand drive in China, or did the driver lose their head if they didn't duck down.. I know it was a panic reaction but sure didn't do themselves any favors stomping on the binders.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hmm let me just park my car in front of and walk around a specially designed road whose purpose is to slow down 40 tons that can't stop.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

How often do those get used? I think I've seen one with a truck or even tire tracks on it maybe twice in my whole life.

When the truck gets pulled out they need to rake it so it doesn't look used..

I still wouldn't risk it usually they spend the money to build them only where trucks are known to run out of brake. You probably have more of a chance than lightning. But why stand on a golf course holding your club up in the air?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I think that ive seen talk of a "walking" floor that lifts, shifts, drops, lifts, shifts, drops etc. To push goods out of trucks.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Holy poo poo that was amazing, I'd have soaked my pants by the end.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Lucky duck usually when playing the claw game its hard to get one prize.. two is amazing.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

On that same note: Up to 50ç or more is a pretty broad range

from 0-Infinity really

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So at the plaza at the end of my street there is usually a swift sleeper sitting there with a dollar general trailer.. it leaves for maybe a day or two but it sits there for a few days as well. There is also occasionally another unloaded swift sleeper there. I cant imagine:

1. Drivers are sleeping for multiple days in a strip mall parking lot
2. That its a good idea to store a truck and trailer (possibly with stuff in it) at a random plaza.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 20, 2015

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Way to get out and see if the guy is okay while you wait for traffic to clear. Driver took a guardrail to the face to save your rear end.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Powershift posted:

Anybody without flashing lights is doing more harm than good being on the road at that point. if he got out to do anything, he'd just be another obstacle.

What he should have done is put the loving camera down and get off the god drat road.

That's a valid perspective.. I guess my thought was if he's going to put himself in danger sitting on the shoulder recording he could have been doing something more productive.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Planes fly themselves but still need folks in the cockpit...

Also.. The layout on insurance is pretty large, if you read the article you need 5mil in insurance and (at lest the way I read the article) 5mil in bond or cash. That's okay for a manufacturer to lay out, but not every trucking outfit can drop that kind of money. So it'll either be the top 5-10 outfits running game, or it'll need to change. Plus NYS will probably be the last state to allow automated trucks in something like the year 2200 so you all can come up here and haul.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

$5 mil per truck? Not possible.

It doesn't specify per truck.. but I'd imagine if it was a fleet the rules would be changed since a manufacturer isn't going to be running 100s of trucks. Reading it again it seems like it's EIther or.. basically 5mil ins, 5mil bond, or 5mil cash @ the DMV

"The Inspiration Truck is registered in Nevada (see their autonomous vehicle rules in detail right here), which requires car and truck manufacturers to have “a $5 million insurance policy, take out a $5 million bond, or make a $5 million deposit or bond with the DMV as proof of financial responsibility and the ability to cover possible liabilities for damage to persons and/or property.”

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

And then you get people in those cockpits who stall themselves into the ocean.

or the Alps.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

But now they can say you can make up to 70cpm on their ads.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

sleepy.eyes posted:

I don't think I've ever heard it used in the US and wouldn't have thought it was a slur.

I've never heard it, but figured it was some kind of racial slur.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Insurance scamming. Oh no this guy hit me with his truck.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Can't you guys just bootstrap it and drive better, it's just a big car figure it out.
#maga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Question, how many truckers run with dash cams? I see people try and murder themselves a lot with trucks and I wonder how many run dash cams to protect their asses from idiots in tin cans with 4 wheels.

• Locked thread