Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

A small part of me always wondered if big trucks ever wound up with decent stereos. :v:

I've been in a linehaul Volvo here in NZ that boasted 12 speakers including a sub tube. Easily loud enough to not hear it under max load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

Preoptopus posted:

Vice just came out with a pretty sweet documentary about trucking through Africa.
I learned you can stop Diff leaks with bananas.

I watched this last week and loved how classically it represented what was wrong on both sides of the coin. The blatant lies and corruption among working class and officials of South and Sub-Saharan Africa vs 'invading capitalist' American company filly a niche that otherwise would not be serviced. The scrappy little start up American company who despite being 30 (60?) days late, still pulled through on the job 4,800kms later.

Also that banana thing made me chuckle as I remembered it being mentioned in that children's movie called Matilda. Bananas and Sawdust in the gearbox to quiet it down.

Anphear fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 3, 2013

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

jonathan posted:

Dude in a tanker just did a hit n run on me. Tore the entire front clip off the truck while trying to pass 4 of us when an oncoming car appeared...

Pics and details after my piss test.

poo poo man, Hope there isn't any structural damage to the front. Assuming clip just means hood clamshell.

Anphear fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 1, 2014

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

digitalcamo posted:

My dispatch said to deliver my load between 0700-1500.

How close to 1500 are we talking? If it was just after lunch then they are being jerks but if its was 1450 then it was a little cheeky on your part, but they are also being jerks.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

0rganDonor posted:

Why is he clutching after he's moving?

Most of the Euro trucks in game are 12 speed or more and I think all have syncro boxes that require single clutching and I assume that it carries over into the modded skins. You can mod other gear box option but I am unsure about removing the need for the clutch.

Check the thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3562845

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008
Ive heard some firms in Europe have an Truck Driver ID dongle that needs to be in its sensor for the truck to be go above a certain speed without incurring fines. The device will also count down your total hours for the day and until you next required break. You can even hot-swap on the fly using the cruise control.

jamal posted:

So how seriously does a trucking company take complaints against a driver? Had a guy purposely come back into my lane and almost take me out with the trailer tires today which would have probably killed me since I was on a bicycle. Had to go into the gutter and slam on the brakes to avoid it. Got a plate number off the trailer but no witnesses or video or anything.

Depends on the firm. I know if I had a road-rage style experience against me as a truck driver I would ring back to my Ops manager and tell him whats up. Like if someone tried to pass me on the shoulder of a construction zone and I blocked them out. That way if they ring my home location to complain the Ops Man could be like 'Yes sir sorry about that he'll get a speaking too.' then do nothing about it.

My advice would probably not to get aggressive angry over the phone but perhaps to the guy on the other end of the phone to remind the drivers that they need to watch out for cyclists cause of reason X.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

Nidhg00670000 posted:

These here are the EU regs btw, if anyone is curious.

I can't believe how strict some of these rules are.

For NZ its:
14 hours work time per day, including 2 mandatory 30 min breaks that have to be taking after 5 1/2 hours.
10 hours, at least, of mandatory rest between workdays.
70 hours max work time per work week.
24 hours, at least, of mandatory rest between work weeks.

So I could work 6 am till 8 pm 5 days a week for 65 hours of work then work on Saturday for 5 hours to finish my 70. My rest time also includes commute to and from work which means that to get 7 hours sleep between shifts you may only have 2 hours or less to make your food, shower and chill with your significant other before bed.

I personally think that NZ's hours are structured as so because lots of areas are around 5 to 6 hours driving from each other. So you drive up in one 5 hour slot, have your 30 mins drive a forklift for a bit to reload then drive back down for another 5 hours, then go home.

Running two log books is almost mandatory for some driving to some locations.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

DNova posted:

Why is that? Are they cheaper? I've never liked the idea of those things. It just seems too easy to mess up the fabric and/or whatever is being hauled. Also it seems like contents theft would involve 5 seconds with a decent knife. I'm guessing it's not too easy to cut through them, but still...

A lot of Freight in Australia and NZ is direct location to location with limited time spent parked in open and public yards. In NZ the fright is often on the truck for less than 10 hours before its swapped out to another trailer. Often the trucks do fixed routes only too.

Edit: These trucks are often hot swapped too. So you drive the day shift, park it in the warehouse to get reloaded, then the night guy picks it up and drives the same route but over night. They you see him in the morning.

Anphear fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Sep 27, 2014

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

InterceptorV8 posted:

Instead of fixing like 211 miles of interstate, they are building that.

A bargain at half the price.

Even a silly foreigner such as myself noticed this massive build as I was leaving Vegas for SF and now that you've said what it is it makes heaps of sense.

I've got my Class 5 learners done. Which means I can drive up to 50 tons with a supervisor if I ever need to leave my Research job. However my OSH forklift accreditation has expired which means I need to do a suck eggs 3 hour refresher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008
Ahh Volvo you know just how to spin a yarn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UUz1zTZFfU

• Locked thread