Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kontour
May 21, 2008

Miracle Blade Baby!

Cockburn Ranges, Aus

Well at least the water made the corrugations slightly better. On a related note, I love air actuated diff locks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kontour
May 21, 2008

Miracle Blade Baby!

Mooseykins posted:

Is that a new Actros?

Nah, Axor. 2012 model, 40000km on the clock. Drives great, although we'll find out how useful they are when things start breaking out bush. I'm still not used to not having a physical oil dip stick.

Kontour fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 22, 2013

Kontour
May 21, 2008

Miracle Blade Baby!

Mooseykins posted:

Ah cool. I remember someone saying the Axor had a badly-designed interior or cab, but having been in a couple i couldn't see anything wrong with it. That said, i'm 5'10" and 147lb, so not many things are uncomfortable for me.

What setup is it? 12-litre 6x4? Most of our Axors here are medium-duty 4x2s with either day cabs or small sleepers for short haul stuff like supermarkets.

It's the 7.2l 4x4, ostensibly because it just slides in under the weight limits for road closures, plus all wheel drive and diff locks all round. I kinda wish we'd gone for the 6x4 though because we seem to be having issues with the rear duals from the amount of weight we put on them coupled with the roads we drive on, although it could be a tire issue too. The day I never have to deal with another rock fractured radial will be a nice day indeed.

It's only a day cab, and I don't have too many issues with it, not having a footrest or any space next to the clutch and not being able to point the centre air con ducts at anything useful are annoying, as are the comically over sized indicator stems. The biggest issue seems to be the location of the gear stick. I'm 6'1" and although its not uncomfortable, it just doesn't feel like its in the right place, its also a magnet for resting your elbow/forearm on.

That said, if after driving it for 40000km and only having those issues, I feel like I'm doing well. I got in a little canter the other day, and the loving steering wheel wasn't even in the centre of the driving position.

Kontour
May 21, 2008

Miracle Blade Baby!

Rudager posted:

I have to applaud you though, I've been on a few trips around the central north Queensland area (Cloncurry, Longreach, Mt Isa etc), and I grew up in trucks with my dad in Central NSW, and I don't think I've ever seen a European truck once the bitumen stopped.

As I said, we'll see how it goes once we get a few more k's on her and things start breaking. Unfortunately euro ratings and such mean that the days of relatively simple, non computer controlled trucks are getting harder and harder to come by, and when you're out bush it's not exactly easy to find an "Authorized(tm) Mercedes(tm) Technician(tm)" to pull codes and the like. Add that to the fact that no one really designs their trucks for Australian conditions and it's a bit of a crapshoot when trying to buy new vehicles.

When we used to run Izuzu 750s and 800s we practically had to beg them to let us have the code numbers and descriptions so we could pull them on the road and even then Code 45: "Mass Air Sensor Voltage" isn't exactly a whole lot to go on. That said, Izuzu are pretty rad and because they reckon that we work their trucks the hardest of almost any of their customers, they'd send Japanese engineers out with us every few years for a ride around, and they'd outfit the truck they were in with accelerometers and the like to get a feel for exactly how we were abusing them. I've never seen anyone get quite so excited about corrugations as those blokes.

Also this happened outside of Timber Creek last year, blowout on the mover and the driver didn't get to the red bottle fast enough:

Kontour fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 23, 2013

• Locked thread