Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
So here's a video from a site that's a good one for passing time, the sort of stuff I think truckers will enjoy. I warn you that it's decidedly :nws:, and that you'll want an ad blocker... It just so happens that this one video is actually a truck video...
http://grab.orsm.net/php/flow.php?file=update20131010/truck-brakes-fail-going-down-a-hill.mp4
Which leads me to ask, was there anything better this guy should have done, or was he pretty much hosed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Powershift posted:

It is brake fade. the brake drums heat up, move away from the shoes, the shoes can no longer contact the drums, the truck runs away. This is why runaway lanes exist.

I've driven cars where the handbrake is a true "emergency" brake inasmuch as it's completely mechanically separate from the service brakes and can be used even if the regular brakes are unusable from wear or heat, but that type of brake isn't common on cars, usually it's on sports cars that are expected to be driven hard enough to see brake fade from heat. Is that type of emergency brake as uncommon on big trucks, or is it just that there's only so much any emergency brake can do?

• Locked thread