Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
warcake
Apr 10, 2010
Its all nice that Volvo makes the tech to prevent accidents, but what company is going to pay thousands for it per truck when its easier to fire the driver when they gently caress up.

I've seen about 3 trucks with the lane keeping support/active cruise control/blind spot monitoring/whatever its called that looks at the drivers eyes to make sure they aren't asleep combo.

Hell actual ESP has only become standard within the last few years because its law now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
Most trucks in europe have had DEF since 2008 or so. It's mostly trouble free now, but it's one of those things that when it does go wrong, it costs a gently caress ton to put right.
Put diesel in the DEF tank? Replace all DEF components.
Put DEF in diesel tank? Only 6 fuel injectors if you are lucky.

The newest emission level has given us DEF + DPF + EGR for trucks, the exhaust is the size of 2 45 gallon drums.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

jonathan posted:

There are so many plausible "mistakes" to make these days if a company decides to gently caress you over. I once got stranded on the I5 north of Portland because the previous driver of the temporary Western Star I was using decided to fill the fuel tanks with styrofoam coffee cups.

Tell me about it. A truck came in friday with a blown wheel bearing, except it had completely ruined the hub, caliper and axle casing as well. Now the truck is under contract maintenance with us so you'd think it would all be covered, but the contract guy had me pull the codes and it had a mechanical ABS fault on that wheel the day before so now the customer has to pay for it.

They'll get out of paying for anything if they can, most truck drivers I know would get it checked out next time they stopped or whatever.

Shadokin posted:

Plus scr, and nox sensors. Our Pete has had nox sensors replaced twice, scr 1x, egr 3x, dpf taken off and cleaned twice, two tows because def stopped working and engine derated. One time with a full tank of def after 70 miles it threw a code saying it had no def. Pretty sure our clutch brake is going out as well, we are off a few days next week and will see what's up with it.

If I didn't know better I would honestly think the drivers were trying to break the truck if I were the mechanic. I hate the emissions crap on trucks and that every other year newer rules get signed into law. Probably an old, tired discussion in this thread by now. I haven't gone thru it yet.
Volvo has a serious nox sensor problem, the sensor comes with a short length of wire and a small control unit attached. For some reason they decided to mount this next to the exhaust with no rubber mounts or anything. I can replace one, and do the same truck the next week. Fault code is always the same, can't ever find any fault with anything else, just keep throwing £500 sensors at it.

warcake fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 18, 2014

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
In europe, especially with volvos, its rare you'll find anything but their own version of that style of gearbox, called the I-shift. We rarely have problems with them, drivers love them, they are easy to repair, clutch lasts over 500,000km usually. Theres no synchros to wear out, and every sensor can be gotten to without removing the box. Only problem is when you leave it in "A" and let the air run down with the engine off you can't start it till someone blows the air up.

and the newer ones have GPS in them which learns the gradients of hills to get better fuel economy and crazy poo poo like that.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

Oh right, is the tri-drive for traction on poor surfaces and reduced axle weights? (Preventing road surface damage?)

Most of our OTR trucks are 6x2 tractors (25,000kg rated tractor, super singles on steer axle, normal single on push axle.) and a 3-axle trailer with super singles, with a GTW of 44,000kg.

6x4 tractors are usually heavy haulage, or bulk haulers (Aggregates, scrap haulers, etc.) I don't think i've ever seen a tri-drive Euro truck.

Always wanted to drive trucks, but the driving hours and pay are poo poo here. Looked at moving to Canada as a driver, but i think you need your licence and experience already, so to move there i have to go back to being a mech, which is a miserable thought.

Looks like i'll be sticking with my 3,500kg van.

The closest you'll find to a rear tridem is an 8x4 refuse truck or similar with 3 rear axles, 2 drive and one steer/lift. You won't find them on a tractor because of length limits usually.

Also super singles on the front are not common at all, mostly found on 6x4's and the like.

Why not fix trucks for a living? Its what I do and pays better than most driving jobs in the UK.

warcake fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 9, 2015

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

There are some tow trucks around here with a single steer axle, double drive and either a push or tag axle out back as well. All the 8x4 refuse trucks i see around here (Usually out by London EcoPark on North Circ.) are normal twin-steer double-drives.

I see loooooooads of super singles on steer axles, more on tractors than on rigids, but still loads of them.

I spent 8 years as a mech here in London, got sicks of it. Pay was never great and when my last mech job (sub con) was about to vanish the thought of going back to working for someone else wasn't very appealing. Qualified for light vehicle, and not HGV.

Weird i rarely see any 385 wide tyres up front, but most of the trucks i fix belong to supermarkets.

Its the newer ones that will start having 3 rear axles because they can't fit the 2nd steer in on account of the euro 6 silencers being enormous.

I know I work with a few guys who qualified on vans and cars, theres a serious shortage of hgv mechanics and once they get their heads around air brakes and the miles of legislation that goes with the industry they do alright. One local skip/waste firm was offering 40k+ a year basic to work in their own workshops (which i would snap at but i've seen the state of their wagons and workshop)

I've been seriously considering working at a bus garage in london, they seem to pay around £18/hr.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

Are they 4x2 or 6x2 tractors? I see more and more super singles. Even starting to see them more on 8x4 tippers, but i think that's franchisees speccing up their trucks.

Learning air brakes and new stuff isn't an issues, just that towards the end of me working in that trade the novelty and fun was gone and it was just more and more bullshit. Granted, much of that was down to my particular job.

The other issue for me was keeping up with technology and diag in particular. For cars, unless you're in a dealer you don't get constant training to keep you up to date, and you don't have all the diag gear. Getting cars in with fibre optic comms lines, and no means of testing them, let alone replacing them. Limited diag and testing info. Common rail isn't new technology, but short of a main dealer machine there still isn't much info available on diag machines. Getting cars with long starts and the diag wouldn't read rail pressure unless the engine was running, so couldn't check for leak down or cranking pressure.

What part of the country are you in? Didn't know bus garages paid that much. Pretty sure they're a loving nightmare to work on, but you'd always be busy.

Mostly 6x2 but some 4x2, i'm pretty sure 6x2 is only used because it is less road tax.

I'm in a main dealer near london, and I work on plenty of buses already and coaches already. They are giving 5-7 year powertrain warranties on buses nowadays. Its just like a truck only you can't get to any of it! Enjoy doing all your engine work through a hole in the floor!

Newer trucks are just about catching up with cars in complexity, we are having to put men in vans to go to customers yards to diagnose faults for them because their guys can't keep up. I use a laptop with 99% of my jobs nowadays.

Thank gently caress the independent front suspension volvo made isn't coming to the UK trucks, but we will soon have dual clutch gearboxes to fix.

warcake fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 10, 2015

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

Yeah, i've read that the boom has hit a dip and left a lot of people in the poo poo job-wise. Still something i want to look into. I'm sure what all you guys really want is an arrogant English oval office driving a truck and generally being a noob at it all.

I like the sound of the mud/snow challege, i love all that poo poo.

I like that in my job (almost) every day is different. Different places, different routes, etc. My last job had more variety, but i now have few customers of my own and often go back to the same sites for drops. Some are pretty good, easy journey there and back and decent more. Others are loving awful, and i can't wait until they finish those site and move to the next so i don't have to sit in traffic for 4 hours wanting to blow my (tiny) brain out.

My plan is to get someone in to cover all the work i do now and i can go do runs through Europe and every day will be an adventure and different. We'll see how that actually turns out though.

Interesting, didn't know that road tax played a part in it. I see a lot of supermarket trucks that are 4x2s with 2-axle trailers, but i think part of that is for access in London.

That bus don't look a lot of fun, but i think London buses will be wose as they're transverse and packed in there.

Why don't you want the Volvo IFS to come here? Surely you deal with the same or worse in buses and coaches?

Watched a video on their dual-clutch box, looked pretty good. Coupled with an FH16 750 that would be immense. Seen a couple 750s on the road. One was an 8x4 STGO Cat 3, the other was a 6x2 owner-operator who looked very pleased with it, and had also covered the truck in the entire Kelsa catalogue and a set of Alcoas.

(Did you edit the location in that post?)

I made the location a bit more vague but whatever.

The IFS isn't coming here because they can't make it work with RHD for the time being. A bus has IFS but the suspension is set back from the steering gear and has a steering box as opposed to having it all rammed into a sub frame with a rack. Plus not having any engine components obscured by any of the front suspension on a bus. Transverse london buses are actually a bit easier because standing at the back lets you access the whole length of the engine, and the rear bench comes out so you can get to both sides of it easier. The auto boxes in those have some sort of insane 90 degree angle drive coming out of the back and the shortest prop shaft going to a diff thats about 12 inches from the O/S wheel.

The dual clutch gearbox is already based on proven technology with the I shift gearbox, and that is already miles ahead of the competition. It changes gear pretty quick as it is without having 2 clutches.

The newest Fh16 750 is awesome (and is now twin sequential turbos)

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

The videos of it looked good. Have you ever dealt with/driven a semi-auto with clutch? If so, how do they work? (Clutch only for pulling away?) I see Mercedes now have an interesting torque converter with an attached dry clutch (Turbo Clutch i think they call it.) which looks to be an interesting advance.

Yes! Something like 95% of all new volvos are semi autos with clutches. It's basically a regular manual gearbox with a regular clutch plate but a large air operated release bearing. It has no syncros and the shifting is controlled with electrics and air pressure. No clutch pedal but drives exactly how you would expect if you were operating the clutch yourself. Ie not retarded at low speeds. It does all the rev matching on downshifts etc. Newer ones are linked in with GPS and it'll remember where the hills are to give a better shift strategy. Just put in in auto and off you go.

Even has a tiny wet motorbike style clutch for the counter shaft brake.

That mercedes one looks like its a combined clutch and retarder which is interesting. Seems like it uses the torque converter to pull away then dry clutch once you are moving.

Dayuum the new Actros SLT is sexy

warcake fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

DonVincenzo posted:

I finally got an upgrade at work. Scored a 2016 Volvo FMX. The automatic gearbox does weird things from time to time but I guess I will need to get used to it. The difference in fuel consumption is absolutely staggering, I went from a 5.3 mpg to a 7.1 then again it sips AdBlue like a [insert your tasteless comparison of choice here] . I'm a bit concerned at how all the nice plastic stuff is going to age (probably not well).

The steering wheel will wear smooth in about 6 months, the airbag will start peeling if you touch it at all and the steering wheel buttons become unreadable if you get them dirty.

EDIT: oh yeah i forgot, if you look under the adblue tank you will see the pump, which helpfully is placed in a way that if you ever take it off road it will get full of mud and break.

warcake fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 2, 2016

• Locked thread