Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Looks like nutcup's back... and ready for action. :pervert:

I never actually got caught up with the previous topic, so I'm glad I'm in on the ground floor of this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

InterceptorV8 posted:

I need this t-shirt.

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/customize/product2.aspx?from=CustomDesigner&number=998968227

Edit: Whoops, didn't see the "cursive writing" part. Fixed.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 9, 2013

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

InterceptorV8 posted:

XL is the biggest it comes in? We gonna have to work on that.

I kind of like the sleeveless tee, to my stereotyping mind it seems very "trucker".

To get it in a size that'll actually fit a trucker however you have to go regular tee:

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/customize/product2.aspx?from=CustomDesigner&number=999630256

All the way to 4XL baby.

Edit: Also, holy poo poo cafe press is a ripoff. Get someone with some actual artistic talent to design this thing, then maybe it would be worth the money.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I had to see if it was this same guy who failed across the street from where I work.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 15, 2013

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

What the gently caress is that from?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

So normally I would say we're pretty good to the truckers we use at work. We always get them unloaded and loaded quickly, not much waiting around, and we don't damage their equipment.

Until now that is. One of our guys, who until now I would have considered our best forklift operator, managed to punch a hole in the side of a trucker's trailer while unloading the empty 400lb steel tubs which one of our customers prefers to receive their parts in. It would seem when they loaded the empties onto the truck they somehow put one in at a bad angle which we weren't able to get at properly with the forklift. In the maneuvering to try to get it out of the truck a new ventilation hole was put in the side of the trailer. All I can say is I'm glad I am not involved in determining who has to pay for it.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Tommychu posted:

Goddamn, recalling all this poo poo after nearly 2 years out of it and pursuing another career has got me wanting to do a 'stories from the tire biz' thread, like all those GBS 'stories from my job' threads from around 04-06 before GBS was a shitpile. I miss the tire business to the point where I look forward to running over nails and wearing a set out, cause it means I can go back to the old shop (though only a couple of guys from the old crew are left, high turnover rates are inherent to the business). I think I'll be drafting a couple up in Word when I get time, and if I like the result and nobody says it's a bad idea for an AI thread I'll make it happen.

Definitely, I love that type of thread. Plus, the best part of working a lovely job is having the stories to tell later.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I wear short sleeves to work most of the time, because the plant is kind of hot, even in the winter. I regularly fail to bother with my jacket when going home since my car, the supermarket, and my house are warm, so why wear it? Gets me some odd looks when I go grab groceries in 30 degree weather.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I particularly love the way the truck managed to stop in time (well earned bow from the truck driver) and then the little shitbox still just coasts right into it.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

digitalcamo posted:

Good grief, how do I get behind one of them bad boys, bet them are fun to drive. Is that like a dump truck for a mining operation?

I'd rather drive the thing that loads it.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 11, 2014

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Honsy16 posted:

We're already looked down upon as a bunch of idiotic, meth smoking scum suckers by a lot of people. Why not add some sexual assault to the equation?

Some? You mean more, right?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

tater_salad posted:

If you drop the clutch and mash the gas you aren't going to go anywhere fast.

The best nursery rhyme.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I love everything about that truck.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Hey truck drivers, have you ever seen any roller floor loading system in a trailer before? After working around Air Force planes for awhile and watching them push and pull cargo out of the back on their roller systems I was wondering if a similar system existed for trucks. Google didn't come up with much but I'd think loading and unloading times would be pretty quick if you could back up to a dock and pull the entire contents of the trailer out of the truck in a few seconds. Would the cost of the hardware not justify the savings in time or what?

I think the problem with rollers or the walking floor systems is cost. There are so many god damned trailers out there, anything to add to the cost of one is probably pretty hard to justify. I would think a roller system would also pose additional problems with securing cargo, as it would need to be strapped in place to prevent it from rolling around, or have the rollers retract below the floor, which adds expense. Palletized freight in a closed trailer is not usually attached to the floor in any way.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 25, 2014

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Totally TWISTED posted:

They try to. Not much freight comes out of that area so you're looking at lots of deadhead and low rates if you do go up there.

My company ships 3-5 trucks a week to Illinois from Massachusetts.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Shampoo posted:

Secretly, I was hoping that it was our roads and drivers keeping them away.

Our roads maybe, but not our drivers. NY drivers are significantly more aggressive than most I've encountered around Boston.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Edward IV posted:

I know very little about the geography of Boston but at first it didn't seem fair to compare that part of Boston to Midtown Manhattan. Then I looked at a map and it looks so much worse than anything in any of the boroughs (except Staten Island) or Hudson County, NJ. Why does everything lazily wind about? :magical:

The story you always hear around here is that most of the roads were originally cow paths. Some of them were, but that's mostly bullshit. It's really because Boston grew up over a longer period of time and is significantly older than most other US cities, so nobody cared as much about organizing anything at the time. Additionally, much of Boston was actually built in what used to be Boston harbor. They filled in major areas to create more land for the city, so it's understandable that points where those new areas of land meet older development would be a bit chaotic.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

This whole thing sounds crazy to me. We always load and unload trucks we get deliveries on or ship out on. We couldn't afford to have them tie up our docks unloading with a pallet jack even if we wanted to be assholes about it. Plus, I don't think unloading 3000lb steel coils with a pallet jack is really practical.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Did you watch the trailer? I'm pretty sure real truckers aren't their target audience.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

About half the drivers who pick up from where I work are Russian and at least one this year clearly had no business driving a semi. He took about an hour to get his truck lined up with our dock which is in the open with more than two truck lengths of clear pavement in front of it to line up in and no incline.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

It wants to be a Kamaz when it grows up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytZc8bLFncc

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

You say including Jeeps, so every time you see someone take a Jeep through a deep puddle or a shallow stream they're potentially getting water into their diffs or worse? What kind of vehicles do have pressure rated seals? Ex-military stuff I assume?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

jonathan posted:

Just another day on the W road. Shortly after that I get a call from dispatch "Get out of there! rain is coming and they'll be closing the road for 4 days!"

That road is lined with boards? :psyduck:

I can see why they close it in the rain.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Shampoo posted:

Hey, if log roads have worked for 6000 years, why stop using them now?

Oh I realize log roads have been a thing for a long time, I'm mostly thinking about the traction you get on wet wood. IE: Not enough for an 80k+ truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I put mine in the center cupholders. Fits nicely. I want to get a mount but I haven't found one I like yet for my current car.

• Locked thread