Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

I-40 in Arizona

Welcome to the Trucker's Lounge. Post pictures and stories and erotic fanfiction and whatever else.

Find the problem with this steer tire:

Louisiana roads can eat a bag of dicks. This happened on the ramp from I-12 E to I-10 E. I was going 40 and snapped the levelling rod for the air suspension.

THAT'S NOT SNOW

I-80 in Utah near "the sculpture" that blurry black spot to the left is an SUV buried to the frame in salt.

I count 16 sets of tandems on this heavy hauler, 8 in front 8 in back, spotted at a Pilot in western Iowa.

Sorry about the bug splatter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Dangit, I forgot to mention that the TV options here in the lounge are NCSI, Weather Channel, and Fox News.

Sideways fire at the Sinclair refinery in Wyoming, I suck at framing photos.

Amish in southern Iowa.

Mt Shasta, I'm probably 20 or more miles away.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

DonVincenzo posted:

Right sorry for the image dump but it appears in the 3 years I've been doing this sometimes lovely wonderful job I managed to take some nice shots.
Image dumps are fine and dandy and you thumbnailed them so that's cool too.

This may not look like much, but it's actually the Mighty Mississippi near Bmedji MN where it's a slow swampy creek.

The file name on my computer is coltrane.jpg

SCIENCE :science:

This grade is in the middle of nowhere Utah, check out the smaller sign to the side. Not visible in this photo: beautiful desolation.

Wyoming.jpg please note I'm not driving and trying to take a picture in that mess, I'm in the jumpseat.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Synonamess Botch posted:

565 outisde of Huntsville, right? That was my commute to class for a year or so before I moved to the northeast. Surprisingly cool place, you know, given its location.
Yep, Huntsville Alabammy. I only went through there once with Werner, and probably won't be back with FedEx because that's probably close enough to Nashville that a local driver would have that run.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

Wasn't that long ago there was what was called West Coast and East Coast trucks, ones with engine brakes, and ones without. You can go down a grade without a engine brake, put your four ways on, go to the low side, and just crawl. It's like worse than going down the grapevine.
Which direction is the steep way through the grapevine? North bound? I go south through there once a month or so and it's not that bad, but the climb is a doozy so I'm guessing heading north it's a bitch.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Muffinpox posted:

IT SAID SWIFT.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

You wish almost came true! Some of the retarded Ikeas are poorly built two story places where the docks are on the second floor. Guy smacked the wall and ripped down a overhead sign post and dropped it in the parking lot or something.
2 story with the docks on second floor? That's just asking for trouble.

I had to deliver to an Office Max where the loading dock was underneath an abandoned Circuit City on the side of a mall or something. So many birds flying in and out making GBS threads all over the place.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Javid posted:

To avoid the nasty poo poo you're driving a loooooong way out of your way. Pretty much unless you go all the way to Bakersfield and take 40 across you're looking at good odds of snow you may or may not be prepared for. Are you feeling good about chaining up that thing, including the trailer, on the side of the freeway in the snow?

My first time chaining up was actually on Sumner, the first big pass you'll run across if you decide taking 90 is a good idea. If so, have fun!
Even if he goes all the way down to Bakersfield to get to 40, there's still a good chance of snow in Tehachapi and Flagstaff. I agree with the POD method, let someone who drives through a lot of snow all the time take care of it.

CommieGIR posted:

Its a Jetta with a Beetle body. If he was driving an actual air cooled monstrosity through the snow, then it might suck more.
If he was driving a 60s Beetle across the high plains in winter I'd be more worried about the wind launching the car off the road.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 2, 2013

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

Heh, you mean low freight volume. Unless you are UPS and fell asleep at the switch, this year was pretty chill. Which means they went stupid trying to get the next holiday in the door because of low sales. Yeah, who delivered Valentines poo poo and BBQers on Xmas?

In 10F weather?
FedEx had loads of third party carriers showing up (including my old rides of CRST and Werner) and they still had some late deliveries. And they wanted us to drive out on Christmas Day. Hahaha no.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

So help me god if I find out they put loving golf balls inside the tire or something.
Aren't the CounterAct balance beads just tiny golf balls, in essence?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Thanks. I just hear the ads and had no idea how they actually work.

Snowdens Secret posted:

How do you mount a tire with water in it? Is this a matter of not drying your compressed air or are you saying people pull unmounted tires out of the rain and just chuck them on?
I had to get a tire repair guy to plug a hole / reset a trailer tire once while it was pouring rain, I bet some water got in there. poo poo happens.

Tommychu posted:

Goddamn, recalling all this poo poo after nearly 2 years out of it and pursuing another career has got me wanting to do a 'stories from the tire biz' thread, like all those GBS 'stories from my job' threads from around 04-06 before GBS was a shitpile. I miss the tire business to the point where I look forward to running over nails and wearing a set out, cause it means I can go back to the old shop (though only a couple of guys from the old crew are left, high turnover rates are inherent to the business). I think I'll be drafting a couple up in Word when I get time, and if I like the result and nobody says it's a bad idea for an AI thread I'll make it happen.
Just post, dude. I'd love to read stories from that side of the business.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 27, 2014

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
It's the completely untreaded roads because Birmingham and Atlanta don't believe in 'salt'

I threw chain in Atlanta, only to stop dead a half hour and 10 miles later and sat 18 hours. We went through the middle of town to avoid an accident that covered 4 lanes. Then between ATL and Birmingham a R&L set of doubles turned sideways and into the median on I-20 East blocking all lanes and 20 miles from anything. Glad I was going the other way.

Now I'm in Orlando hoping it's cleared up because I just know they're gonna send us right back to ATL to get the freight to catch up.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
It's -12F in Denver, I don't know how some of you guys handle this all the time.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

Avoid Atlanta period.

We aren't allowed in the inner loop in Atlanta anyway, and Atlanta is a huge loving shithole anyway. And I mean it is number one in freight theft and poo poo anyway.
Yeah, if you can avoid Atlanta during dry sunny weather you should do so. Even the loop is dumb. If you are going from Greenville SC to Birmingham AL then you take the NW side of the 285 loop. Which lane should you be in to get past I-75? If you answered far left because 4 lanes exit to 75 and only 2 stay on 285 and those two merge into one, you would be correct.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

EightBit posted:

Carbon Fiber trailer? I can't imagine how expensive that must have been.
Or how expensive it would cost to repair it the first time a forklift operator rips a hole in the side.

Bring back the needle nose Petes :downs:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

0rganDonor posted:

PAM and USA are left unmentioned as well.
Nobody mentioned CRST, which gave me valuable seat time to get somewhere better.

ACEofsnett posted:

Clearly it's western express, because I'm a felon with dozens of drunk driving convictions. (I'm not and it's none of these!) Actually now it's up in the air, I'm waiting for a much better company to get back to me. If they do I'm canceling my orientation with the existing company.
Go with the company with a good training program, where you get at least 2 months of having an ornery lifetimer filling your ear.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 3, 2014

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
That's a mix of "You should never use the tractor for personal use" and dispatch getting to flex their rear end in a top hat muscle. Enjoy the tanker job, take it easy in the corners and KEEP YOUR FOOT DOWN ON THE BRAKE HARD when coming to a stop as the fluid rocks back and forth.

Are you gonna drive a Mack? :getin:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

digitalcamo posted:

Meant to ask you how a Mack handles. I only have experience with a prostar+ with maxxforce engine. Going up a slight incline makes have to downshift.
My dad drove a Mack when he was hauling corn syrup, Macks are just the stereotypical trucks for tankers in the US. He loved it, drove a 2009 before he left that job.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

poo poo is a lot easier when your company is like this:

Because when these fuckers stop, it costs money cubed.

That wheel chock is so optimistic.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

He said UNDER not OVER.
Georgia Overdrive y'all!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS00hb3zsVU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
This isn't good, is it?

edit: attachment woes, trying imgur

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Powershift posted:

His turbo is probably being held on by one bolt simultaneously causing it to soot, and distributing that soot around the drivers side of the engine.. That's just what the airflow does to it. With my mack i can put my arm out the window against the door at -40*C and it won't be cold.

Similar thing happened to me, but i have a black truck to start with.
Yeah, it was the turbo, at least that's part of the problem. We had the turbo fixed/replaced/something, but it was done at the dealer instead of the Cummins place because Cummins had a 2 week wait. It still has problems, because when regen is running the power drops a lot, and regen happens every 2 hours or sooner. At least now when doing a parked regen the engine and turbo sound like they are working, instead of just wheezing ineffectively for 45 minutes. The whole system is poo poo, but I'll be in a new truck by August so both I and my boss give no fucks. He wants to be rid of this Volvo more than I do.

I also just wanted to put a picture in a thread sort of about pictures.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

My guess is no "valid" photo ID.

OK, next question, how was he pinged for a random before he even got a valid ID? He was still on the temp ID.

Shadokin, did you recently move, or did you just get the worst luck?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

Some companies will hire you as a dispatcher because you have that degree.

Then again, it's like working in a call center....
It's like working in a call center and the same guys keep calling in with the same problems over and over and they are coworkers so you can't hang up on them. I do not envy dispatchers because I know and am the idiots that call for help.

Now planners, those guys can go pound sand.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

^^^gawd drat it^^^

The DOT has to repair a ramp right after use so it can be used again. They aren't used that much, but it still happens.
Also modern exhaust brakes are much better than the older brakes, and are basically standard. My dad had to go down Black Mountain in NC (5 mile 6% grade) without the Jake because the brake sensor was hosed, and it was hairy. I went down that same grade Friday with a working jake brake and it was easy as pie.

One time I saw a work crew pulling a truck out of a runaway truck ramp on I-15 in California; they needed a crane.

Oh and I'm now in a brand new Freightliner Cascadia Evolution. The Volvo got 5.5 MPG, the Cascadia got 8 mpg on the maiden voyage of 8000 miles. The automagic transmission takes some time to get used to, but it's awesome.

NoWake posted:

Nah, University of Toledo. If the system over there was anything like UT's, I can see why he went into that line of work. You'll never, ever be out of a job. (ours were in the shop more than they were out)
Diesel mechanic has got to be one of the best job markets around, there's just so many trucks on the road and they love to break down. It's a dirty job but the pay should be good and there's no shortage of work.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 18, 2014

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ozmiander posted:

Why do people think it's sane to cut off the freightliner pulling up to the red light? I mean, it even says student driver all over it...
4 wheelers really want to never ever ever be behind a big truck. Welcome to the fun times.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

Probably. Might be a bit harder to eat on the road, but I bet you can do it, after all, there are Hindu and Sikh drivers.
There's quite a few Indian food buffets at independent truck stops and I'm tempted to try one or five, I'm just worried about a few hours later.

And no more beef jerky for me, thanks. That kidney stone while 4 states from home was a rude awakening.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

nm posted:

Or, you know, don't drive in socal.
A thousand times this.

There's a spot near Industry where 60 and 57 cross, and if you want to stay on your highway you have to cross 3 lanes of traffic that is trying to get to the lane you are leaving. Blinkers don't mean poo poo.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Shadokin posted:

Biggest advice I have for someone just starting out is gently caress the bullshit companies. Find a niche to get in, tankard, flat bed or ltl and rock it. If you gotta put 6 months In at a crap driver mill company do so, but flee as fast as you can.

I freely admit I have become completely spoiled by working in the LTL field. Which has led me to me new problem of hating the company I work for, but there is like one maybe two other companies that would pay more then my wife and I make working here.
On that note, Ozimander, look at Con-way. They run LTL and you can either do local work doing 6-8 pickups a day and make bank, or run linehaul and run 500-600 miles a day, every day, same route every time. And they advertise that they hire people fresh out of CDL school, as long as it's not one of the mills and yes they know the mills. When I was working with CRST and Werner, Con-way always had their poo poo together for their drivers. Less so for me as the 3rd company mercenary, but I knew I was the outsider and didn't mind it.

Now I run terminal to terminal with FedEx and it's the bees knees compared to OTR random dispatch. I'm not on the road for a month at a time and I don't have to deliver paper rolls to a man-made cave in Kansas City, but most importantly I don't have to wander around trying to find an empty trailer or show up at the shipper after hours and then have to explain to dispatch that No, It's Sunday morning and the shipper is closed there is a sign stating the hours I don't care what the planner said I can't get in to pick up the trailer.

Ozmiander: Work at a poo poo OTR rookie grinder if you want poo poo stories, or just go find a good LTL where you can get experience and actually make money and might actually like the work. Or a regional carrier. Or bulk or tanker or run reefer from NY to FL and back all day long (HOLY poo poo NO gently caress THE BELTWAY).

double edit: R&L trucking is based in the Northeast and they run LTL and sometimes 53 footers. Just try to stay away from some fly by night outfit that may or may not pay you.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 4, 2014

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

Are you doing a turn and burn aka meet and greet, or are you doing cross country t-t work?
95% of the time cross country t-t work, and it's team t-t work with my dad. Sometimes we do a meet and greet, but in FedEx parlance it's a butthead. So when I leave Denver with empty trailers and then take I-70 to I-15 and head south to Beaver UT, and there I meet up with a FedEx driver with loaded trailers from Rialto, That means that FedEx has a location number for a butthead in Beaver. That is not a joke.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Everyone look at EightBit who doesn't know anything.
I'm gonna mark out for New Mexico Green Chile cuisine as represented by the Petro in Milan NM and you can't stop me.

A dive in Quatrzsite AZ also counts.

Ozmiander posted:

Threw away all the good advice, i should be shipping out to Allentown, PA for Werner on tuesdays.
Get
Out
And
Look

Be a jerk. Take up time. Just make sure you park it properly.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 18, 2014

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You just need a bigger tractor.

Alabama National Guard had one of those rolling around during the ice storm last year that shut down Birmingham.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

kastein posted:

Rolling, or sliding? The tires on those things aren't worth a gently caress of a lot on ice. Unless they have the worlds largest set of tire chains.

(Those tires are only like 46" or 53" diameter, so not truly the largest set of chains)
Rolling, but it was the day after the really bad ice, so some parts were clear.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Javid posted:

Was the driver supplied with suitable straps or whatever to tie them all down? Or does your company pull the "buy $200 of straps and load locks yourself and we totally won't accidentally shred the receipt" maneuver like most of them?
Well if you work for a large enough company that doesn't care that much just go around a drop yard once to get 3 load locks and a few more straps to stow in the box and you're good to go. Don't ask service at a terminal, that creates a paper trail.

But don't worry, you'll still get in trouble for not properly securing a load that was bolt-sealed before you ever were assigned the load.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I am so loving glad I am now on a dedicated run in the Southeast US, no more chains except for the occasional ice storm.

Funny thing about FedEx: They pay the IFTA fuel tax if the truck gets under 8mpg, but not if it gets better than 8mpg. My truck gets like 7.8 right now, but since this run has no mountains and with PrePass I will be flying past the NINE scales / ag inspectors in Florida on every loop, that mpg might go over 8. In response to that, my boss might get rid of the 68mph governor and let me hit 75 on my way to Dallas. It's so weird to have a policy that punishes great fuel mileage. 8mpg when pulling doubles is like getting 9mpg pulling 53' trailers.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

NoWake posted:

^^ Did you explain that backwards? If not, that's truly messed up.

IFTA exists so that narrow-ish states like Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, etc don't get screwed by carriers beating up their roads by passing through and never buying a drop of their diesel. No fuel purchased, no taxes collected.

My guess on their reasoning is that higher mileage = less fill ups along the way = better make sure every state gets their a fair share, whereas lower mileage = filling up lots more places = tax distributed fairly. There's got to be a cutoff somewhere, and 8 happens to be it.

Tanking MPGs to save on fuel tax might sound like circular reasoning, but I'm sure someone has made the numbers work. I'd be extremely glad just to shorten my workday a bit, 7mph is a big difference when you're driving 8-10 hours in a day.
Truly messed up. My boss who owns the truck told me about a guy who went over 8mpg and had to pay an extra $1400 one month, and it was an owner-op with only the one truck so it hit him hard.

When I was driving cross country with FedEx (with my dad) we would try to stop in various states and get a fill-up just to even it out. The good thing is FedEx has their own fuel stations that are priced at wholesale instead of retail, so when in California or Connecticut the fuel cost 30 cents less than retail, but still had the tax added in so IFTA was happy.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

Why the gently caress would he have to pay that month? IFTA is quarterly.
Ehh, I got the particulars wrong, all I know is that 7.9mpg is fine but 8.0 means loss of money.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

ijustam posted:

Do they track idle time? Go to bed pop on high idle, laugh all the way to the bank.
Honestly I think they don't track idle time, they just go with gallons purchased and miles driven. FedEx knows the gallons from fuel receipts, drivers turn in an Individual Vehicle Mile Record. However, I drive team and now drive a dedicated bid run, so if everything works out we run non-stop for 96 hours and 5000 miles. I think the owner-op that got dinged was probably running a single screw day-cab on a dedicated run in the flatter areas of the Carolina region and was trying to get the best mileage possible.

I could also go into how there are lighter local runs and heavy long-haul runs and empty long-haul runs, but I'll just say this: I (we, driving with dad) got paid to bobtail from Denver CO to Billings MT to pick up two empty pups and took them to Rialto CA because Billings had too many empties on the lot and Rialto needed power units. FedEx is a weird duck sometimes but they make money by getting packages from point A to point B, not by making sense, and they are making money.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

Now the question is this.

Do doctors, lawyers, nurses, pilots, policemen, pigfuckers, goat-ropers have to take this test for work?

No, they do not.

Most people here haven't seen the government question list for cpap bullshit for drivers. Once again, showing how loving clueless the government is about driving, one of the trigger questions is.

"Do you sleep during the day."

So the night-time guy who runs as night who, surprise, sleeps during the day, will have to take a sleep disorder test if he answers, "Yes"
The sleep study that was used to justify the "two consecutive 1AM to 5AM periods" was a study of nurses that went from 12 hour day shifts to 12 hour night shifts, and found that when people flop schedules like that it's good to have two days off. That's nice. It was not a study of people just staying on night shifts.

I'm a night owl. Before trucking, I delivered pizzas from 5pm to 9pm and then worked 3rd at Target stocking shelves. It was crappy but my body got used to it and I actually didn't like days off where I had to do poo poo during the day.

Now I drive 4PM to 4AM so yes I sleep when the sun is up. While bouncing down the road. I like it.

Here's another thing that I worry about : The HOS is based on the time zone of the home office, so someone in the Eastern Time Zone who drives for CR England based out of SLC has to take their 34 hour restart with two breaks of 3AM to 7AM EST. The laws have no flexibility to deal with the things truckers have to deal with, and truckers have to be flexible as hell to deal with this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Soon to be CDL grad.

Looking to do regional so I can be home on the weekends. Tons of companies to choose from. Out of the bigger companies, are they all pretty much the same poo poo? I'm leaning towards Werner
Like TWISTED said, what region, and are you doing mostly work with one customer like Walmart? I drover Werner but I drove team so we went all over the country but mostly carried Con-way stuff and then Walmart stuff to get us to the Con-way stuff.

Werner is... ok. They have problems with lovely equipment. If you are ever moved to a used truck, LOOK THROUGH THE OUTBOUND QUALCOMM MESSAGES, you will find the problem you are looking for because the previous driver got fed up with that truck after complaning for a few weeks. My dad and I didn't have that problem, we took it straight to the appropriate dealer and said fix that poo poo.

And the trailer situation is a horror show. But that holds for all OTR fleets compared to

Thing is, the bigger companies are pretty much all the same poo poo. There are good regional and bad regional runs, and most of that deals with what the planner has set up and if the shippers are on the same time table (they aren't). It's all about one hand not knowing that the other hand is doing.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Watch out, quite a few megacarriers are moving to all automatic fleets, which will make you completely undesirable to other outfits.
It will take them some time to get rid of the 10 speed fleet, especially the lemons that they can't sell with under 300k but take 6 years to get there.

And I drive a flappy paddle auto in my small fleet and it's the bees knees.

• Locked thread