Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
We have a 105km/h limit on trucks here in Ontario and I was getting laughs today at all the sneaky truckers breaking the rules because it was super foggy out. It was a free for all of trucks doing 130+km/h, driving the in the far left lane, and ignoring inspection stations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

0rganDonor posted:

Most truck drivers in Canada are Eastern European, Indian and, Pakistani so they were taught to drive with a deathwish from the beginning.

This is the truth. Also with the 105km/h limit in place they have no way of making up lost time so by god they're going exactly 105 all the time. gently caress snowstorms, slow cars, accidents, and congestion this truck is doing 105. What a stupid rule.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yes, Quebec mandates them at current.

Ze Germans do not mandate them, but I believe you can be found at fault for accidents if you are not running them. Your insurance company probably also gets pissed.

My insurance company gives me a sweet discount for having them and thankfully haven't made the connection that they're on a RWD no traction control drift machine.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

The other day I stepped outside and remarked to a buddy how warm it was. I unzipped my jacket a bit and took in the warmth. It was 0F instead of the usual -10F that day.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Street Horrrsing posted:

I've been driving recently, and I've seen a dual trail of rubber left on the road, but the trail persists for over a kilometer, and it only ended where you could see the driver pull over. What's going on to cause that? Did the entire axle lock up? Or did a brake pod randomly activated? Is the cause of it poor maintenance?

Grandma merged at 50km/h

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Some trucker is now a crewman aboard a chinese container ship, learning their language and fighting pirates.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I want to go to cool school

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

A TURGID FATSO posted:

I'm lucky that I do the same route every day so I have a routine down perfectly, but when I was OTR I absolutely loathed the e-logs because it was just a giant stop watch in my face. If anything went remotely wrong it could have hosed up my entire run depending on how tight the scheduled load would be, and as someone already mentioned the company would poo poo all over me for "lack of time management/bad route planning".

As just a regular commuter, who has done a 100km or so commute for about 10+ years on around the same stretches of 6 lane highway, I've noticed the difference. gently caress me the trucks around here are in an increasing hurry in the last 5 years, and it doesn't matter if the weather is apocalyptic anymore. Snowstorms where I'd see trucks lined up in the offramp or at the rest stops waiting it out instead are a melee of trucks doing the absolute legal limit (105km/h here) trying to dodge the rest of traffic that are white knuckling it at 70.

I'm not complaining. Well I am but I'm not blaming the truckers. I've swam with them for years like a Remora weaving between the great whites. I respect their size and that a turn signal on a trailer doesn't mean "Can I come in?", it means "I'm loving moving over". We had an understanding. I'm the fast mover that uses the left lane, and they stay out of it. I merge fast so they don't burn up their brakes. I don't pass them on the right and if I'm changing lanes it's not alongside their trailer, it's past the nose of the battleship.

It seems like something has badly upset that equilibrium and it makes me unhappy. The truckers are more aggressive. They're hungry. Maybe it's this electronic monitoring, maybe I'm just tiring of the commute, I'm not sure. All I know is that in conditions where my aggressively siped winter tire equipped, xenon beamed, snow shredding machine seems inadequate enough that I seek shelter, the trucks keep going. Barrelling into hell. It's going to be a long winter.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

tater_salad posted:

Question, how many truckers run with dash cams? I see people try and murder themselves a lot with trucks and I wonder how many run dash cams to protect their asses from idiots in tin cans with 4 wheels.

I hope all of them. Hell I run a dash cam and I'm just that idiot in a tin can with 4 wheels. About 6 months ago I watched a Nissan SUV drift out of their lane into the trailer of a truck. Both of them pulled over and the damage to the SUV was epic. I stuck around, did the report, and then emailed the police the footage. The driver was spooked as hell and didn't speak very good english. I had to show him the dash cam footage to calm him down.

Also when I pulled open the door of the SUV to tell the driver to get out of their smoking car their phone was on the passenger side floor mat, and no sign of a cradle or holder anywhere. Officer agreed that the driver was probably driving and texting and that this was something they hated more than anything else in the entire universe.

8ender fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

jonathan posted:

Is this an actual thing ? My cell phone sits on the passenger seat. If I brake hard it ends up on the floor all the time, along with my DG paperwork and whatever else. Actually I don't know a single person in a passenger car who has a phone holder or cradle.

Lot's of people have phone cradles in Ontario, Canada. It's law to have your phone not in your hands and on your lap is a grey area. Almost everyone uses a cradle.

It's also worth mentioning that their phone was unlocked when I found it.

• Locked thread