Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Oh god. I can only imagine what the starting cpm rate will be for new drivers now if that new age requirement goes into effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Lookin' spiffffffffffffffy! I'm jealous.

It's interesting that you said someone mentioned that it had a "DEF issue", because frankly I think all trucks have "DEF issues".

A couple of weekends ago my company has a once-a-year mandatory meeting for drivers and office personnel just to get us all on the same page for stuff in sales, how our projections look, and a bunch of other boring bullshit. However, whenever the subject of maintenance comes up every one is like a wild animal trying to yell over one another about how their truck is bullshit, and a lot of the complaints were about our DEF systems.

We had a Master Mechanic and some other guy from our local truck provider come in and try to explain to us what our installed DEF systems actually do and how they work, as well as trying to answer or troubleshoot the problems we are having with the DEF systems, and even they were getting tripped up, saying that they still weren't "100% sure how the DEF interacts with our emissions and engine systems".

It just really pisses me off that we as an industry had to adopt the whole DEF thing in an instant before even making sure that we had most of the kinks worked out. Can someone please explain to me why the hell we continue to use this worthless poo poo?

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
My company told us back in March that we have been doing really well despite the economy still being in the shitter and we would be getting 30% per load by the end of April instead of 24%. I have received no bump in pay yet. :emo:

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Powershift posted:

I played euro truck simulator 2, and what dissapointed me the most is that all the roads were truck friendly. Your gps didn't send you down a long dead end with nowhere to turn around, which is really an essential part of the trucking experience.

Every once in a while I still wonder how the hell I've gotten myself out of some situations that I've gotten stuck in due to bad directions/GPS coordinates.

Christ, the main one that I can recall happened about six or seven years ago. I had to go to some paper mill in western Kentucky, and the directions I was sent on my Qualcomm said to turn left onto Home Road and it'll be at the end. Well, for some reason Home Road turned out to be an incredibly narrow and hilly stretch of dirt road that ended at a rusted out double wide trailer, with no mill to be found. I end up calling the number for the customer I was given, and, whatdayano, it's a bad number. I end up getting a hold of dispatch who was able to find the correct number and patch me in on a conference call so I could get the real directions, which I end up getting. Now, back to the matter of how the gently caress am I going to get out of here? Well, I basically have to end up backing up into the main road and stop traffic, which took for loving ever. I can't believe that I didn't get into an accident, and I sure as hell made sure to give dispatch as much poo poo as I could verbally throw at them because of the gently caress-up with those bad directions. God damnit, I still get infuriated when I think about it for too long.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

RockNRoll Jesus posted:

I have a question. I am not a trucker and this happened ten years ago. I was on I 35 South of Emporia, Kansas where it is all KS Turnpike. I was headed to Wichita to go see a friend. At one point there was a construction zone and speeds were reduced to 55 or something like that and it was one lane. I slowed down only to have a semi come on my rear end, flashing lights and blowing his airhorn. Problem was, there was nothing I could do. I knew enough about hours of service and poo poo like that to increase my speed to about five over to try and help the guy out, but seriously it was a one lane road with cones. What did he expect me to do besides risk a speeding ticket and marks on his own license? There was nowhere to pull over and let him pass. My only guess was that he was near or past his HoS and was annoyed at me for...doing the speed limit?

As a trucker I say gently caress that idiot. He can't trip plan correctly if he's putting other motorists lives at risk just so he doesn't have to go 55 in a construction zone.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

RockNRoll Jesus posted:

Really? I'm not doubting you by any means, but the thought of foreign truckers attempting to navigate American highways without even rudimentary knowledge of the English language terrifies me. How does this happen?

American bureaucracy is quite ineffective with tests as long as you can just memorize the bare minimum. The trucking industry has such high turnover rate for drivers that pretty much anyone that can sit in a drivers seat can be hired if they hold the wheel (relatively straight).

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
That sort of reminds me of Western Colorado/eastern Utah, although their turns aren't nearly as sharp.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
If you don't already work with steel-toed footwear and you drive a truck (or any other rough job) then you're a loving retard.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

wolrah posted:

That's what I was thinking the whole time I was listening to it unfold. It wasn't even like he had inappropriate shoes like sandals or similar, he seemingly didn't have any shoes at all. I work with computers and I wear steel toes (dropping a battery backup on your feet sucks).

I stepped on a broken nail that pierced the bottom of my running shoes just once while cleaning out my trailer and I said to myself "never loving again". That was 8 years ago. Luckily I just got new inserts for my boots since the other ones completely rotted away and it feels like the bottom of my feet finally have support again!

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I'm lucky that I do the same route every day so I have a routine down perfectly, but when I was OTR I absolutely loathed the e-logs because it was just a giant stop watch in my face. If anything went remotely wrong it could have hosed up my entire run depending on how tight the scheduled load would be, and as someone already mentioned the company would poo poo all over me for "lack of time management/bad route planning".

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's me trying to play Euro Truck Simulator.

After a bottle of whisky.

You're not far off as that's basically what I did, except on American Truck Simulator. Not even nearly 10 years of experience could have prepared me for this daunting task.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuUdsPSqh2U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

From what I read he was in the middle of having a stroke (not the fun kind) or some other kind of rather bad brain+blood event.

So yeah...

Is there a story about this that you can link?

• Locked thread