Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Rudager posted:

Haha, true that.

that little old T404SAR up there may look like a tired old girl, but if she breaks in some farmers paddock on a Sunday afternoon, it's easy enough to try and figure out yourself if you've got half a mind for it.

Nowdays it's all twin turbo ACERTS and cooled EGR's making everything hard.

If nothing else, someone needs to add about 3-5L on engine capacity for road train specced trucks, but I suppose it's such a niche market in the grand world scheme of things for Cummins/Cat/Detroit. I can't remember what a triple train can max out at since we don't really run them, but an A-B triple (like the AB Quad above, but minus one of the short trailers) can top out at 104.5t (230,000 pounds and change for everyone else) and a 600hp ISX is working hard for it.

I'm pretty sure my 435 would just fall over and cry. I moved almost 100K before with a old 400, and it just didn't like it much. Thanks IKEA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

How to correctly drive to Burning Man.

1. Put )°( at least 27 times on your car, truck, RV or Magical loving Pony.

2. Make sure your art isn't tied down in any fashion. Art is meant to be shared, and it's totally awesome to share it with everybody else on the interstate.

3. Make sure you let everybody around you know you are going "home"

4. Stopping on the interstate to take pictures of the Truckee River is a great loving idea.

4a. Make sure you DON'T put your flashers on when you park in the travel lane on the interstate.

5. DON'T get off the interstate to take a piss on the offramp, just stop on the interstate and pop a squat right there.

5a. DO get mad when the trucker uses his or her airhorn and makes you fall over into your piss puddle.

6. Make sure you use the small mouthed bottles as your piss bottles in case you don't do #5 so the truckers don't get blamed.

7. Don't check and make sure any or all of your lights are working before you take off. Adjusting your headlights is also frowned on, because it's great to signal aircraft at BRC with your headlights.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

bolind posted:

Ahahahahahaha!

Seriously, people just stop in a lane? Not on the hard shoulder? Even on the most desolate of interstates in the US that seems like the dumbest of ideas.

http://goo.gl/maps/r2aqS

Not much of a shoulder in some spots. The on/off ramps have wide shoulders because truckers plowed all the poo poo around them, but no, they don't want to stop there, they want to stop here, and what you get is someone going from the fast lane across the slow lane and onto the shoulder without turn signals.

Because they are always in the fast lane.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

OZC posted:

Saw a few Burners doing a variant on #4 along 28 near Sand Harbor on their excursion to see Tahoe, along with one doing #5 at the lookout above Incline on 431. Sadly, my buddy's pickup lacks an airhorn to invoke 5a. At least they only come around here once a year.

Can you even loving breathe up there?

Smoke is heavy all the way to Boise and all the way over to Battle Mountain.

Geared Hub posted:

One of my friends was pissed after running over a generator and random debris that was left randomly in the middle of the highway by a burner.
I wonder how many RV/Vans/Meth labs will be left abandoned on the shoudlers of nevada highways when this is all over.

I'm hoping to scare up a 19-21 foot standard trailer this year from it! From the Walmart I was at last night, there is going to be quite a bit of MOOP left over from people. Ran into a bunch of really rude Japanese people heading out there buying out the camping supplies.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Rudager posted:

So one of the drivers at work today was making fun of how every North American Youtube trucker has a 10 speed. Is that a common thing up there? Here in the downunder it's an 18 speed Eaton, 14 speed Synchro box in the Euro's, or an Auto for the really big guys who just want something anyone can drive, but the far majority of trucks on our roads are 18's. I'm sure there's a 10 speed or two out there, but I don't know anyone that's ever seen one.

But can he hit 153 kph?

:smug:

Or if he wants 36 gears he can always play this:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3562845

But yeah, most companies are speccing their trucks low for OTR service, I trained on a 13 speed, but now drive a 10 speed, but would love it if I could split the top box on a couple of hills. Hell some of our heavy trucks don't even split the bottom and they do 75+ @ 129,000+ all day. If you REALLY want to blow his mind on stupid poo poo, tell him there are companies in the US that shut off the engine brake on some of their trucks, or that I drove a truck with four pedals! See if he can figure that one out.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Ferremit posted:

On average, 176,369-264,554 lb. Quads are up too 298,726 lb and if its a quad with a Tri-drive prime mover and tri-axle dollys, they top out at 374,785 lb.

Yeah when you are topped out for 80,000 pounds for Interstate OTR travel (kinda) now you know why we don't need 18 gears.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

A lot of areas ban jake brakes, often citywide. I'd guess the penny pinchers did it to avoid fines.

Nope.

A Texas company does it to "teach" people how to go down mountains without it. That's their whole reason. I'd love to be the supplier for their brake shoes.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Mooseykins posted:

Yes, better roast the brakes than use the right tool for the job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7EfnYwpmOE

On every grade.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

jamal posted:

Wouldn't that be really, really dangerous? Aren't there a lot of grades that you simply can't go down fully loaded only using the standard brakes?

Wasn't that long ago there was what was called West Coast and East Coast trucks, ones with engine brakes, and ones without. You can go down a grade without a engine brake, put your four ways on, go to the low side, and just crawl. It's like worse than going down the grapevine.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

stevobob posted:

Breakers are bad news because if you have a bad circuit, the breaker will just trip and trip and trip until your wires or something more expensive burns instead of the fuse you replaced.

Naw, it isn't that bad, I have them in my rig and it's more like a house breaker. Pop. WTF, open dash find the raised one, reset.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Rudager posted:

I've been watching more youtube truckers, and I really don't understand why you north American guys don't run more bigger combinations. Our roads here in Australia about 100x worse, and at least here on the east coast, it's all hills and corners, and yet 90% of trucks you see outside of a city is a B-Double, it's just more effecient.

Your B-doubles are pretty much a Rocky Mountain double in reverse.

Which makes them illegal in California. :haw:

It just depends on the state, and the states next to it as well, you'll see fun combos in some states, like a 48 foot spread towing a 53 foot spread drop deck. But welcome to the fun world of OTR in the USA, where you are limited to 55mph in some states, and 80mph in others! You also only have 22 million people living in Australia, we have almost 12 million illegal in the US, and we have like 300 million people that don't know how to use their turn signals.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

wolrah posted:

I found that the Feds have compiled the state-by-state exemptions, showing how much of a disjointed disaster it is.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=&SID=32a1bf7a894281cf5a28759c274907ef&r=PART&n=23y1.0.1.7.33#23:1.0.1.7.33.0.1.14.29

On the Ohio Turnpike you usually can't go ten miles without seeing a UPS double or triple hauling along. Doubles can have 102 feet from the front of the first trailer to the rear of the second, triples only get 95 feet. That means they can't run full length doubles, but they can run one full and one California-sized unit or two Californias.

Considering the short trailers are sort of specialized to this use I'm not 100% on why they don't use the B-double style with an integrated fifth wheel, but all we see are the "double road train" and "triple road train" styles, C and G on Wiki's chart, limited by length. Probably something to do with backing in to loading docks, I'd imagine the integrated units make loading/unloading a challenge.

There are reverse b doubles flatbeds I see quite a bit. Instead of the first trailer being short, the first is long, but has a tri-axle with the 5th wheel plate, then hooks into a smaller flat.

But it's a god damned mess, and one of these days I think I'm going to just switch to Intrastate. Hell, I'm barely an interstate driver anymore anyway. Less headaches, AND I get to watch people get confused as gently caress at this scale which makes it all worth it.

http://goo.gl/maps/0RKbE

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

madeintaipei posted:

So N-bound and S-bound trucks alternate through? Do those arrows point the way I think they do? :psyduck:

Yes, we play chicken.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

ijustam posted:

texas has some rest stops like that, always made me uncomfortable

It's loving funny as poo poo. I've seen the scale get closed because someone completely tarded out trying to cross it. I've seen just about every way to use the roadway to cross the scale, including backwards (not reverse, but still 180 degrees wrong)

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

`Nemesis posted:

Just couldn't wait to get home

That's a lot of poo poo in the sleeper window.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

:stare: :stonk:

22 killed?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Truck is mad at the EPA, I roll coal when regen happens.

Fukkin SWEET.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Cakefool posted:

:allears:

Beauty just happened right?

Who has my shotgun?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Say "roll coal" three times and Nutcup will appear.

Might take a couple of days but I got a crazy loving story for you all, as soon as I am cleared to talk about it, make sure it wasn't one of you idiots involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5QYYlfXQFk

I swear to god, it was like this.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Muffinpox posted:

"ASK ME ABOUT PUTTING MY RANGE SELECTOR INTO 'gently caress'"

I need this t-shirt.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

XL is the biggest it comes in? We gonna have to work on that.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

DonVincenzo posted:

Today I played the role of makeshift roadside assistance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=997lVQ2BPQ8

Loaded the van in my transfer dump truck (with the box or whatever you call it on the ground) then it was a matter of backing up against the trailer (thank God it had adjustable suspensions because I sure as hell do not!). Also no sound because it was too windy to be worth it.

You say "Hey ya'll watch this!" at work a lot?

Glad to see you wore your bump cap for safety reason.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

I'd just like to point out to the mouth breathers on the other forums that "laying a truck over" is never the best loving idea, ever.

Using two G-wegens is much better of an idea. I get to spend my off day filling out some paperwork because some people are too loving stupid to act like adults on the interstate, so I'm pretty cranky about this poo poo.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Red_October_7000 posted:

I've driven cars where the handbrake is a true "emergency" brake inasmuch as it's completely mechanically separate from the service brakes and can be used even if the regular brakes are unusable from wear or heat, but that type of brake isn't common on cars, usually it's on sports cars that are expected to be driven hard enough to see brake fade from heat. Is that type of emergency brake as uncommon on big trucks, or is it just that there's only so much any emergency brake can do?

It uses the same system as the service brake. Pretty much.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

How much LNG is there over there?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

ijustam posted:

almost witnessed a death today. me and the car in front of me were merging onto the highway behind this semi, and the ramp is pretty short so it isn't uncommon to be on the highway at 40mph. however the ramp makes a new lane so it really isn't a huge deal.

however, it is common for the lane next to us to be going to normal 65-70mph speed. when i hit the highway a JB Hunt truck flies past me, and the car infront of me merges onto the highway in attempts to pass the truck that was infront of both of us. queue JB Hunt slamming on his brakes. im honestly a bit surprised he didn't lock em up. luckily (or unluckily?) nothing happened but that truck probably needed new pants after that

Naw, you'd be surprised, had a car try and pass a set of triples as they where coming back over in front of me, made it to the rear of the second trailer before he figured out what was going on, since he flatly ignored the turn signals and almost ended up chasing jackrabbits. I didn't even take my truck off cruise control and made the fucker knock the piss out of his alignment.

loving Californians.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

The rear end Stooge posted:

I have a friend who is writing a novella about a gay trucker and she needs some info straight from the horse's mouth, as it were. Do any of you have stories about illicit drug use or furtive unprotected sex on the road? Perhaps a stolen moment in a fellow trucker's sleeper cab, the loneliness of the trucker lifestyle finally becoming too much to bear, both of you desperate for the touch of another's skin.

Is this set in modern times? Or is it some kind of silly story?

I mean this poo poo has been around forever:

http://g.e-hentai.org/g/354020/6252a5a348/

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

What the hell was that, IV8? :catstare:

Straight from your own collection, eh?

:getin:

What's even stranger is there is poo poo like that from all over the world.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Javid posted:

This happened here today!

Turns out the driver had warrants, so he got to go from the hospital to jail. Fun times!

Free food?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Javid posted:

Strawberries. The deer are gonna have a great night.

Oh yeah, isn't it hunting season over there?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

nutcup posted:

Yeah, nothing gay there at all. Completely No Homo Trucking Inc. haulin nothing but questionable sexual orientated loads right up the terminal. I don't know how this gay orientated trucker poo poo got started but you gotta tell me to stop, which I cannot. Either way I get somewhat embarrassed while reading that poo poo. I am as heterosexual as they come in me. Hauling cars over the road head was probably one of the more enjoyable things that almost drove me to suicide. I don't know how much actual gay poo poo goes on out there constantly all the time, but I definitely wouldn't want anything to do with half of those dudes on the road with their tight jean covered glutes and sweaty swollen rear end lipsnnnNNYYEEEUUGHH THO GOOD, gently caress that.

I'm more worried people will get the culture completely wrong. Nothing brings me out of a story faster than loving up a simple thing.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

:stare:

I assume there's about a billion alarms to tell you when something is up, right? Because no way in hell can it be safe to constantly scan all of the gauges.

I know there's usually a buzzer for air pressure, but that's the extent of my knowledge.

On some of the "older" Volvos they have a nice HUD and a alarm, sadly, the alarm sounds the same if it is alerting you to low washer fluid or warp core breech.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

I hate it when people hack Eurotruck Sim2.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Rudager posted:

Oh yeah, reminds me of another switch on the newish EGR Cummins, the manual burn off thing to pump some hot exhaust gas out to burn poo poo off some exhaust filter thing.

Manual regen switch?

Some of our newer trucks have a diff lock (single) with the power divider lock. I think people like Powershift can lock everything, so there is three switches there.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

ijustam posted:

Seems a lot of guys use suspension pressure to determine whether or not they're overloaded on their drives. Seems handy, even though you can't measure your steers or trailer.

It's pretty handy to get it close. I have a computer setting that shows my drive weight.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

DonVincenzo posted:

So today was a poo poo day.

gently caress dispatch.

My backhaul that is due tonight was moved 110 miles the wrong way.

And then dropped.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

angryhampster posted:

So this happened at work today:
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20131111-710155.html?dsk=y

Pretty drat big news for the industry.

Maybe on a SLOW news day.

That's a 62mph fleet joining another 62mph fleet joke.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

angryhampster posted:

As a planner it annoys me too. I can't even imagine what it's like as a driver being limited at 62.

It really is a bad idea, because now they drive 62 loving everywhere. School zones, construction zones, truck stops...

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

West SAAB Story posted:

Except when they're on I-80. I had the joy of watching a gear grinder in a white Volvo pulling a single long trailer (with no discernible markings) - shoving everyone out of the left lane at about 83mph heading towards Susanville while it was windy enough to have warnings on the signs.

That is a different story. GTI and Heartland are slow companies, that do 62mph everywhere. We don't see many Heartland trucks here.

Those guys, like the ones you see, (good chance is was a Chicago Russian, because if it was a Sikh from Marysville, something would have been on the trailer) are just plain nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

Hey I'm only a car driver and I have this fear of getting nailed by a truck, I always give them as much space as possible but I was wondering if you could give me an idea of how those gigantic things handle crosswinds and how long they take to stop. Like I said I already give them heaps of room but the nagging fear remains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ4rbd0Zfwg

Yeah, it takes us awhile to slow down and speed up.

• Locked thread