Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

IHatePancakes posted:

Story time!

So I work for a small local air freight company in Portland, OR. I was told this story the other day, happened pretty recently. We work pretty closely with these two other companies, lets just call them Company A and Company B. They'e both freight forwarding companies. So, Company B wants to borrow Company A's big forklift to handle some heavy freight. This particular forklift has no parking brake. Company A takes it over to Company B in a 53' van, secured with a good half dozen load bars. It makes it there fine, doesn't murder anyone crashing out of the truck. Company B finishes whatever project they needed it for and decide to send it back to Company A in another trailer, also loaded with some freight bound for them. But, they decided with the two brain cells they had to rub together, that shipping a 5 ton wheeled machine in a trailer should be secured with a single e-track strap. During the short 8 mile journey, the forklift tore the strap out of the mounts, re-arranged the freight like a steamroller organizing china, and did everything possible to gently caress the trailer up, ending with a 20 foot long gash down the side of it. Company A refused the entire trailer naturally, and Company B is buying them a new trailer.

I need to stop working with paintchip eating retards.

I'd bet money your company works with mine in some capacity.

Tonight's adventure: lift gate decided to lower itself at speed on I-5. Call up ops, "oh yeah it did that last night too" and forward me to the driver who jury rigged it before. We run down his list but his temporary fix no longer works.

Surely at this point they would ring up an after hours mobile mechanic to get their main line hauler moving, yes?

Nnnnahhhhhh. They decided to send down the same driver I was just talking to, and hope he can perform his duct tape feng shuei on it again. He's 2 hours away not counting his actual route stops. If he can't fix it they have to call a mechanic ANYWAY and we wasted 2 hours. (This will be the outcome)

Bonus: we've been reporting the glitchy lift gate switch for literal months, but they wouldn't fix it since the inside switch still worked fine. UNTIL NOW.

At least it shat right by a 24 hour diner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Not offhand, but gently caress knows, I don't deal with the Portland end ever.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

For big fleets, yeah. I suspect it's more to do with them being cheaper than anything else. The company I'm at NOW just goes for automatics for various reasons

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

What's your weight limit, though? If it's higher or you're pulling multiples the bigger gearbox might be less optional. Even Swift's cheap asses spring for the 18 speed when you jump from normal 80k to 105.5 heavy haul loads. gently caress knows what a road train weighs.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

"gently caress you, DRIVER"

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Rudager posted:

I've been watching more youtube truckers, and I really don't understand why you north American guys don't run more bigger combinations.

Because California

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

This happened here today!

Turns out the driver had warrants, so he got to go from the hospital to jail. Fun times!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Strawberries. The deer are gonna have a great night.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Ayup. I am no poo poo considering driving down there just before dawn tomorrow.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

There is a small cement barrier there, but a semi at speed will basically laugh at a 2 foot wall.

It's at the end of a VERY slight curve, I don't think they expected anyone so lovely at driving that they'd manage to overshoot it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Note that a fleet truck will have like 1/10 of those gauges and only the controls you absolutely need to make the truck move forward because they assume you are the stupidest piece of poo poo possible and/or it saves them money to omit them.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Downside is the obvious. Upside is inciting road rage in every single California car you see. I used to view it as my little contribution to somebody's eventual court-ordered anger management classes.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Empty trucks stop fastest, loaded trucks stop straightest; the empties have less momentum to shed but also less traction due to low weight, whereas the full ones have ALL of the downforce.

Fastest does not mean fast, however. Football field +++

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

th vwls hv scpd posted:

How bad does this kind of thing screw you as a driver? I'm assuming this counts as a traffic accident.

The dollar value of the damage is also a bigger factor than actual fault.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Powershift posted:

I can hear the call to dispatch now.

Driver: "hey, there are no axles under that trailer you told me to take"
Dispatch: "that's the only trailer we've got for you right now, you're just going to have to figure something out, and the client needs you there an hour early because they have a pet grooming appointment better get to it" *click*

swift_troutdale.txt

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Fart Pipe posted:

Dudes I need some hot steamy trucker help. I'm going to be driving a 16ft moving truck and car dolly from Seattle to Connecticut around the middle of February next year. I know nothing about crossing the mountains in the winter. Is that something where it would be better do drive south down the coast before going east? What's the best way to penetrate the mountain range in the winter?

To avoid the nasty poo poo you're driving a loooooong way out of your way. Pretty much unless you go all the way to Bakersfield and take 40 across you're looking at good odds of snow you may or may not be prepared for. Are you feeling good about chaining up that thing, including the trailer, on the side of the freeway in the snow?

My first time chaining up was actually on Sumner, the first big pass you'll run across if you decide taking 90 is a good idea. If so, have fun!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

On the whole, if you have never driven a large vehicle before, I-90 in February is probably the worst time to dive into it. Seconding "fill a POD".

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

There are places on 80 in Wyoming that close so often they went ahead and installed permanent gates they can shut at will. Let that tell you something about your odds.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Driving a car would suck substantially less in the same conditions.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Apparently Nasa is driving a test capsule across the country instead of flying it because ?????

Watommi posted:

Also, nasa.gov/orion says the mockup capsule left on Dec 11, and will arrive in San Diego in early January. WTF? That's like a 3 day drive max. Are they stopping for photo ops every 25 miles or what?

Wonder who they got to take that job, since nobody getting paid cpm is going to touch a cross-country drive that takes almost a month. To say nothing of navigating southern CA with an oversize load..

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

I saw something ages ago that still pops into my head from time to time.

Saw a big truck going down I-35E between DFW and Waco. The trailer was cocked about 5-10 degrees compared to the truck. He was taking up a small chunk of the shoulder, with his steers almost into the next lane. Still doing about 60 mph. The tires didn't sound or smell happy about this arrangement.

I've seen similar a couple of times, but usually it's 1-2 degrees. Never seen anything that bad since then.

Cause(s)?

The rear wheels on the trailer can slide forward and back to adjust weights; it's possible for one side to be the tiniest bit misaligned from the other which means the tires are no longer rolling freely, but dragging to one side. Even a degree will shred the tread off in a very short time.

In the case of your story, most likely something broke and it was more than just a LITTLE misaligned. Also possible one of his brakes had cammed over and was making it pull to the side.

I'd also bet it was a Swift truck!

Javid fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 11, 2014

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

God drat.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'd lay odds they repaved the road and added ~3" without adjusting the signage.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It is 100% about them being able to find SOMETHING to gently caress you with at any time.

See also: you can refuse permission for them to look inside the cab but they can measure the thickness of your mattress (which is legally mandated) without permission.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

AAA does that to, their system requires it apparently.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Even caring enough to buy separate summer/winter tires probably puts you in the 95th percentile of drivers, depending on what state you're in.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My single memory of dealing with a port was them calling dispatch and raging out and demanding I turn around 40 miles down the road to go back and fill out their little digital check-out form again because it didn't go right the first time. I still regret so much as acknowledging that message.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Every few years somebody "tests" a new super aero truck and then decides to just bitch at the drivers about idling some more and give themself a bonus instead.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

And unlike metal shards, it is difficult to see on an x-ray, so have fun with that.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Tommychu posted:

Please don't call them piss-tanks. It's a fun nickname but it also perpetuates a myth that causes stranded drivers to try a thing that doesn't work and also causes mechanics to have a really bad day. Also creates confusion with the (admittedly very rare) case that a truck has onboard actual black water storage.

Conversely please don't burden us with trucks that will poo poo themselves if they run out of a non-essential fluid. Or bring us the people who mandated that poo poo so we can pee on THEM.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The last DEF truck I ran had a faulty derp tank gauge so it would randomly decide it was empty and shut you down in the middle of a shift. No override, just gently caress you and your wanting to get home on time. It didn't help that, of course, the company wouldn't fix it.

(gently caress california)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

If I recall correctly and I may not, styrofoam in gas turns into a goop that's too thick for the fuel pumps.

There are a thousand creative places for things to go in a truck that end up being the next guy's problem to one extent or another, most of which are less obviously sabotage than that.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Swift teaches stab braking. Not that that's a ringing endorsement.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

If you keep your wallet in your back pocket, don't. I also like to have my seat far enough back that I can move my legs around a bit when using the cruise.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

First and foremost, if you're not attempting to grow so corpulent they'll have to take out a wall to remove you once you expire from the heat while obeying the CA idle laws, you're doing it wrong. Your company will have to hose out the accumulated feces, fast food bags, and scale tickets at that point anyway; do you REALLY want to do their work for them?

That being said, if you do your best to keep anything you care about off the floor, you can just sweep everything else out at a rest area or wherever there's a dumpster, or if you really want, leave it in a trailer for somebody else!

However, this assumes you want to stop. And who has time? Just whip the trash out the window whenever possible instead of letting it accumulate. If you're VERY careful you can even poo poo in the mcdonald's bags while in motion and eliminate rest stops entirely!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

iirc you MAY net more as an O/O than an employee but it's also way more spergin' and if something expensive explodes you may be completely hosed. I wouldn't do it myself.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Sup nutcup

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Trucking is a bit annoying to get into since your first few years you're gonna get the shittiest loads because your DM gives all the good ones to the guys he's known for years. I can see someone going "gently caress this" after having their manager try to send them to Compton for the fifth time, or bitch them out for not making their monthly mile quota while not GIVING them enough work to make it, or whatfuckingever.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Hopefully that video helped everyone involved sue the owner of the blue car into bankruptcy.

E: from Facebook

Javid fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Probably just like the minimum mattress thickness, so they have a reason to enter the cab.

• Locked thread