Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

InterceptorV8 posted:

Anyone know what the going fuel surcharge rate is for this month? I'm crunching numbers.

I've been running .52-.53 cents/mile from the brokerage (3PL) side of things. Also, please don't hate me I go out of my way to not be the guy that fucks drivers over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

InterceptorV8 posted:

Naw, that's good info. I was offered .46
Glad I could help. If anyone has other numbers they're interested in like rates for certain lanes I can see about that. Everything is logged at work so I can't exactly do a dump of every lane in America but I can get a few numbers if you have any specific questions.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

jonathan posted:

LoL I'm so glad I work where I work now. "Work as much as you want or as little as you want, run legal or illegal. Just don't loving whine if you get caught or don't make enough money to support your cocaine addiction."

Interesting take on that. I wonder if they are a large enough company that they don't give a poo poo about the hit you could inflict on their safety scores if you got caught?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Cakefool posted:

I don't know if this is the place to ask but I'm in the UK and I need a company that will transport 25 tonnes to Germany and back just outside a weekend (deliver Friday before midnight, pickup just before midnight Sunday with a guaranteed 17 hour or less each way), 6 to 15 times a year. I can't find anyone in the UK so I suppose I'm after a European company.

I'm rather surprised there aren't any local(ish) to you carriers that are interested in doing this for you. But assuming you've already exhausted your search abilities on that front I would look into a 3PL company to handle your needs. Unfortunately I'm in the US or I would be of more help :)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I wonder if the better weather (less rain/snow/ice) is why curtainsides get used more in Australia as well?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Trucking companies are hard up for drivers right now. Use that to your advantage as much as possible while you're shopping for a company.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

InterceptorV8 posted:

Trucking companies are always hard up for drivers.

Well I'm hearing it a lot more from the dispatchers than in the past. But I think youre right too.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Does anyone here run a flatbed? Seems to be mostly vans and I would love* to hear some flat or step specific stories/thoughts.

*because I'm freight broker with about 99% of my loads on flat and step.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

In an effort to attract more drivers, my company is offering them equivalent health insurance benefits as the corporate office employees. As a corporate office employee, my health insurance benefits have been made worse to match those of what is offered to the drivers.

Hahaha corporations rule :suicide:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Shampoo posted:

I live in New England and hardly ever see long haul trucks from the Midwest or West (or the South even). Do long haul guys stay out of New England?

They try to. Not much freight comes out of that area so you're looking at lots of deadhead and low rates if you do go up there.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

My company ships 3-5 trucks a week to Illinois from Massachusetts.

I move freight on that lane too but when you look at the volume of freight into/out of NE compared to other areas Shampoo is seeing an accurate picture of not that many long haul trucks up there.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Soon to be CDL grad.

Looking to do regional so I can be home on the weekends. Tons of companies to choose from. Out of the bigger companies, are they all pretty much the same poo poo? I'm leaning towards Werner

What region are you looking at? You might be able to find a smaller carrier that will be less poo poo.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Hell yeah. I want to. Why do truckers shudder in fear at the though of having to do a little manual labor?

I probably wouldn't want to drive for 10 hours, unload for 2 hours, and then drive 10 more hours but that's just me.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

InterceptorV8 posted:

It's more than that, you get underpaid for most of your unloading time. Would you want to take a 55% to 65% paycut? AND lose out on drive time? Maybe if it's a daily return home account or something that makes up for it. My final straw was a 8 pallet load of paper plates, I paid out $245 for a lumper service to pull them. Next load was a '53 foot trailer of mattresses.

They (the company) wanted to pay me $50 to unload the whole thing.

Interesting that does sound like poo poo. I mainly deal with flatbed freight so driver unload isn't a thing at all.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

Anyone who won't take "I saved enough to take a nice break so I spent three months smoking good cigars and loving my wife and her friends all day" for an answer is probably going to be a bad employer anyway.

Stealing this for any future unemployment I have.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I thought it was this one for a second: http://www.knighttrans.com/

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

:stonk: Haha god drat, I thought the different logo/colors meant it was some small operation I'd not heard of with the same name instead.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

tl;dr if I'm going to be delivering poo poo, I may as well get paid to use a company vehicle, instead of using my own car.

If the poo poo you are delivering fits in your car you don't need a CDL to get paid for that.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Being in TN I was hoping to see Haslam get more egg on his face from that one but what can I say, I guess it's lumped into my wishes for mermaids to be real.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

When did his brother the current Governor end his affiliation with PFJ? I'm guessing long before any of this current poo poo, and voters wouldn't give a drat, but a boy can dream.

Looks like 1999 but from this AP article

quote:

“We, as a company, look forward to putting this whole unfortunate episode behind us, continuing our efforts to rectify the damage done, regaining our customers’ trust and getting on with our business,” said CEO Jimmy Haslam, who says he was unaware of the scheme. “We’ve been committed from the beginning of this to doing the right thing, and that remains our commitment.”

Gov. Bill Haslam, his brother, holds an undisclosed ownership share in the company but has said he is not involved in Pilot’s day-to-day operations.

Not shady and totally believable of course.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Well, tomorrow morning this will be my first official truck I will be driving for the next 4 weeks. 2015. Every grind is going to make my butt hole pucker.

Good luck. If you end up doing flatbeds I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences. Not many doing flatbeds here.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

And from the brokering/planning side of things when we are figuring out ETAs we plan on 55mph being a solid conservative estimate. If E-Logs ever actually become 100% mandatory and assuming there isn't a way to fudge them it will become more expensive to move freight because more drivers will have to be hired to meet the expected volume while following HOS rules.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

InterceptorV8 posted:

ROBO-TRUX.

With all the problems on this planet, not sure I would be dumping R&D into robotrucks before say, cure for cancer or self unclogging toilet, but that's me.

If you put a self-unclogging toilet as the driver seat on a truck you would create a robotruck.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

Fixed this for you:

That is a heavy motherfucker!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Powershift posted:

It's fine, the air intake is up by the windshield.

The diff breathers, however. Those get thirsty when a hot diff meets cold water.

Learned a thing. I thought that only the air intake and exhaust mattered. Probably why I'm not a truck driver.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Adblue = DEF for those curious but too lazy to google (I almost was too lazy).

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Drivers in the US at least get paid per mile. So the more strict the HOS regulations the less money a driver can make.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If routes are supposed to be pre-planned, speed limits are not supposed to be ignored, and driver hours are supposed to be capped, what's the point of paying drivers per mile?

Exploitation is correct. Now companies will say it's to encourage hard work and less time wasting. But really if everyone actually followed HOS rules to a tee then maximizing your time and getting paid per trip (or lane) would still reward that.

Smaller companies or even solo operations will pay on a per trip basis. Typically 70-80% of the linehaul. With 100% payout of the fuel surcharge and accessorials like lumped fees.

Of course this still incentivizes owner operators to break HOS rules so they can run more loads and make more money.

Current lane rates and industry rates per mile are artificially low as of a few months ago because of this HOS violating mechanic. Once ELD is in full effect shippers will have to pay more or truckers won't be able to pay their bills and capacity will further tighten as they go bankrupt.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Shippers are going to be shocked (maybe?) when formerly single driver lanes become team lanes especially if driver detention at shippers and receivers stays like it currently is. That's more $$ to pay for same speed of service right there.

I expect this overall will continue to drive owner-op and small company consolidation to get larger and larger. The big companies being able to drop trailers on both ends is a lifesaver with HOS compliance and therefore keeping your rates down to get business. I also expect to see more companies running trailer interchange agreements and insurance to allow for more drop trailer usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

No enforcement/fines till I think April.

• Locked thread