Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

InterceptorV8 posted:

http://goo.gl/maps/r2aqS

Not much of a shoulder in some spots. The on/off ramps have wide shoulders because truckers plowed all the poo poo around them, but no, they don't want to stop there, they want to stop here, and what you get is someone going from the fast lane across the slow lane and onto the shoulder without turn signals.

Because they are always in the fast lane.

One of my friends was pissed after running over a generator and random debris that was left randomly in the middle of the highway by a burner.
I wonder how many RV/Vans/Meth labs will be left abandoned on the shoudlers of nevada highways when this is all over.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Any words on any more CA emissions exemptions being considered? I know theres the one time 1000 mile one but theres rumors about single owner operators [not fleets] and farmers getting a 1 truck exemption from 2014 engine requirements.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Jesus. Was just in vegas house hunting and driving back to SF with the folks...

God drat that's a ginormous inspection station that caltrans/CHP is building on I15 just outside of primm. A couple miles of dedicated wait lanes for incoming trucks....

I'm guessing running a loop around Palmdale to come in the back way into LA without hitting a scale with a non carb truck isn't going to be a thing by next summer.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

toplitzin posted:

SOON:

February 3.

American Truck Simulator

http://store.steampowered.com/app/270880/

I got all excited... I wanted to see how well they did with I15 from Vegas to LA..... see how accurate a bunch of euro's gets it.......

and.... where's the climb? The 55mph drop at the CA border? No death valley/baker? And Barstow has a nuclear power plant?... they should have let a few developers take a road trip :v:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

If I can't roll into the dirt lot next to the Del Taco next to the Flying J in Barstow then that game is pointless.

I know its a game but , rockstar does their video game/parody version of California pretty well by just dropping in enough real world references in scattered locations as a good example.

You want to give the whole 5 hour trip down to 5 minutes, I would have had:

0:00 Primm all on one overpass exit.
1:00 The climb out of Primm with a shitload of assholes and RV's blocking all lanes including the truck lane at random through the hills.
2:00 Joshua Tree's on the left and death valley on the right, have a beef jerky stand and a giant thermometer pop up at the halfway point for baker.
3:00 Segment ends at Yermo/Barstow at the agricultural inspection station. Have a random white van drop out migrant workers running across the highway :v:
4:00 strip malls and random desert lots from barstow, apple valley and victor ville...
5:00 cajon pass with a mountain pass decent with lots of big turns with a few trains in the background

They did put in the Solar plant so bonus points for that.

Weclome to the LA clusterfuck.

On the other hand anything to spice up the drive on I5 between LA and SF will be a bonus otherwise it's a shitload of dustbowls, empty farms and angry anti-congress billboards.

Still going to buy the game I guess :)

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Ok so they did put baker in between Barstow and Primm. That being said, I didn't have a good time having the game route me from Oxnard to SF via PCH and big Sur. :v:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

You say including Jeeps, so every time you see someone take a Jeep through a deep puddle or a shallow stream they're potentially getting water into their diffs or worse? What kind of vehicles do have pressure rated seals? Ex-military stuff I assume?

jonathan posted:

The term refers to people from Newfoundland, who are not a race. Anyways meh, sorry if I offended any newfies in this thread.

I'm from Newfoundland ... Never heard of paki used in reference to a Newfy, unless it's the cute combination of saltwater in which case I thought you were referring to Pakistanis on Temporary working visas?

V:v:V

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

EightBit posted:

This is important for just about any vehicle on the road, including Jeeps and non-H1 hummers. The drivetrain isn't meant for immersion, water will get into everything. If you take a vehicle swimming, get the fluids checked immediately.

Some humvees have a switch/valve for pressurizing the drivetrain for fording options, maybe the first 2-3 years of H1s. On mine the entire system is vented to the air filter can. Geared hub, diffs trans and Tcase and even fuel at one point.

On the drivers manual for my 1998 they go over it , if there is extensive fording operations at or near the maximum limit, the recommendation is to perform a c service which is a fluid check/flush and an inspection of all the vent lines. Owners tend to gloss over that little detail when they hear the fording specs of the truck, and run off to play u-boat commander and sink it.

Clogged vent lines can have hilarious issues pop up such as having fluids from one item being pressurized and being shot somewhere else. Or diesel being sent to your diff, etc

I got a leak in my vent somewhere and I'm overdue for a geared hub rebuild since I got access to a shop and media blaster again.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

tater_salad posted:

Question, how many truckers run with dash cams? I see people try and murder themselves a lot with trucks and I wonder how many run dash cams to protect their asses from idiots in tin cans with 4 wheels.

All of them? I always got my dad better and better dash cam models for his rig. It paid off a few years ago [whenever Tron 2 came out in theatres because I got the "accident' call that day]

Some shithead in a pickup decided that he ain't got no time for rain on California highways and decided spin out at 90 mph taking out 4-5 cars and going right into the truck. Dash cam caught everything and despite everyone having confused stories on who did what and who was at fault, CHP watched the video and cleared everything up.

Dad got a new rig out of the settlement but we kinda blew out, at his age he could have sued for lost wages/income and a few other things because it gets incredibly difficult to finance a new rig when you are past retirement age. Ah well.

• Locked thread