Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

As long as that's the dispatcher's rear end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Carbon Fiber trailer? I can't imagine how expensive that must have been.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Vindolanda posted:

That's true, but not in the way I assume you're thinking - it doesn't flex then break, it just frays very quickly - almost instantly - and snaps, and it snaps more easily when damaged than not. However, because it's made up of fibres, rather than a continuous piece, cracks won't propagate through.
smacking the trailer might put a hole in it, when an aluminium trailer would dent, but theoretically it'll take more to break the carbon fibre than do any serious damage to the aluminium or steel.
Here's an example in lifelike 240p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjErH4_1fks

That poo poo worries me when I'm banging a carbon fiber paddle against a canoe, rocks, logs, etc. when I'm really putting my back into it. Twelve ounces of carbon and resin and if it shatters in my hand I'll be digging shards out for the rest of my life :ohdear:.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Galler posted:

Unfortunately they apparently only wipe back and forth and don't circle like a prop. All that work to make that thing and he couldn't be bothered to get that detail right.

How hard would it be to mod it to only spin in one direction? It's probably electronically controlled oscillation, so you could skip the circuits that move it back and forth by just powering the motor with a switch.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Twisting up the frame is a pretty normal thing for Jeeps with the 4.0.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

kastein posted:

Not my picture - I don't drive wranglers. :v:

Mr. Jeep legos doesn't drive any Wranglers? :monocle:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

I think some of the lack of power is the fact that you stopped at Fuel City and had tacos. Maybe swam in their "fountain" too.

Everyone raves about their tacos, but I honestly wasn't impressed - I know of a lot better places.

The best Mexican food is in Texas, not Mexico. Specifically, San Antonio.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I've been in lots of places in the south, and a few in the north, and I stand by my judgement on the quality of Mexican food found outside of Texas :colbert:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I slapped a CB radio in my Jeep because sometimes I get a hardon for old fashioned outdated technology. I see antennas on nearly every 18wheeler, but nobody seems to be saying much. Is CB a thing anymore with truckers these days, or do they only get switched on for sudden local traffic information/etc? 19 is dead as hell, although I occasionally find an active Spanish channel I assume is trucking. I read somewhere that truckers in California (where I am) use two different channels for North/South and East/West highways, but scanning around turns up zilch.

The strongest channel in my area is some wackjob constantly broadcasting what sounds like an African-American preacher screaming gibberish at all hours on ch6. I turn it on sometimes when I want to pretend the apocalypse happened.

They're pretty useful on group trail runs.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

InterceptorV8 posted:

http://youtu.be/tmxQhAdhGQI

This is how you go down a hill.

:clint:

:stonk: at 3:13 indeed. Also quite peeved that he edited out what must have been a sweet song sung by that jake brake.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I generally agree with getting off the road in situations like that, while staying in your vehicle for safety. That one is a bit different, though: guardrails on both sides, icy conditions, road totally blocked. The guy with the camera didn't cause the double-trailer truck to slide, the two other trucks already pinned did. He did the safest thing he could, stay in his vehicle and pay attention to what is about to slam into his rear end.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

SouthLAnd posted:

Yeah no poo poo.

I wonder what was going through the mind of the guy filming the whole thing (besides "What the gently caress?!")

"This cuntbag just loving ruined my whole drive. I'm not getting out of here for an hour, and that's only if my truck didn't get so much as farted on by that trailer. Now I'm not going to be able to unload in time and I'll be stuck in BFE sleeping"

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Powershift posted:

every truck needs this poo poo from the factory because

Diesel particulate emissions and NOx are pretty nasty poo poo. One fucks up your lungs and the other causes acid rain. Gasoline engines don't really generate either in large quantities, when they are functioning correctly. This isn't an arbitrary thing that some chucklefucks in CARB etc. decided to dump on people.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Totally TWISTED posted:

Learned a thing. I thought that only the air intake and exhaust mattered. Probably why I'm not a truck driver.

This is important for just about any vehicle on the road, including Jeeps and non-H1 hummers. The drivetrain isn't meant for immersion, water will get into everything. If you take a vehicle swimming, get the fluids checked immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
People are scared of constant surveillance.

I welcome it, if it means that all the lovely, lieing assholes get shut down.

• Locked thread