Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

The Wonderful 101, previously known as Project P-100, is a "mass-hero action game" developed by Platinum games exclusively for the Nintendo WiiU. It is directed by Hideki Kamiya (Devil May cry, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Bayonetta) and Produced by Atsushi Inaba(pretty much every Clover/Platinum game). In The Wonderful 101, Players control a squad of costumed super heroes as they attempt to fend off an alien invasion of earth.

Gameplay
The core gameplay of W-101 is what you'd expect from a platinum action game. You do combos, launch enemies, juggle them, and get graded on combo points, damage, time, etc. The thing that sets W-101 apart from Bayonetta and DMC, however, is the special powers of your heroes. Each main hero has a special power form they can mold the larger group of heroes into. The "Unite Morphs" are as follows: Unite Hand, Sword, Gun, Whip, Hammer, Claw, and Bomb. The unite morphs are used not only for combat, but also for traversal and puzzle solving. The unite morphs are created by drawing them either on the gamepad screen or with the right stick. While drawing the game slows down, giving you plenty of time to react. This game supports the pro controller. The ranking system is the same as the one used in Bayonetta, with "Stone" being the lowest and "Pure Platinum" being the highest.

Story
The earth is under attack by an alien empire called the "Geathjerks", and its up to the Wonderful One-Double-Oh to stop them. That's about it, expect lots of silly, Platinum style Power-rangers/Tokusatsu-esque fun.

Characters
Despite being called "The Wonderful 101", you don't actually have 100 unique heroes. Each of the main Heroes, denoted by a color, is representative of one of the Unite morphs. You might recruit Wonder Toilet or Wonder beer, but they have the same Unite Morphs as one of the main colors. You will also recruit civilians and enemies to fill in your mob of power rangers.

Wonder Red: "The Crimson Fist"
is the leader of the team, natch. Real name William Wedgewood, Red is a school teacher by day. Power: Unite Hand. (Voiced by Charlie Schlatter)

Unite hand is your basic, jack of all trades power. Good damage, good speed, good utility. Its also got flaming passion. :kamina:

Wonder Blue: "The Supersonic Blade"
plays the second banana who butts head with Red. When hes not in the mask Eliot Hooker is a hot headed LA cop. Power: Unite Sword. (Voiced by Roger Craig Smith)

Unite sword is lightning fast and wide reaching, making it good for crow control. Defensively, it can be used to reflect lasers back at enemies. Its also easy as gently caress to draw, since its just straight line.

Wonder Green:"Le Sniper Supérieur"
, Jean-Sebastian Renaud is a gifted yet bratty middle school Marksman. Power: Unite Gun. (Voiced by Kari Wahlgren)

Unite gun doesn't do a lot of damage, but its got lots of range and it sets up climb on attacks, which slow down the enemy. It also has the ability to suck up projectiles and launch them back.

Wonder Pink: "The Queen of Rage"
, Mariana Cristescu is a short tempered Transylvanian Gymnast. Power: Unite Whip. (voiced by Tara Strong)

Like Gun the Whip is a lower damage ranged weapon. Whip is a little more utility based though; You can use it toss enemies and also strip armor.

Wonder Yellow:"The Hammering Russkie"
is a shy family man who is a big softie underneath it all. Power: Unite hammer. (voiced by JB Blanc)

Hammer is everything you've come to expect from videogame :ussr: over the years. Slow, but Stronk. Like whip, hammer can be used to pierce armor.

Wonder White: "The Claws of Calamity"
Momoe Byakouin is the serene heir to an ancient and powerful ninja Clan. Power: Unite Claws. (Voiced by Yuri Lownthall)

Gotta go fast. The claws are all about speed. They're so fast, in fact, they can freeze enemies solid.

Wonder Black: "The 8-Bit Enchanter"
Wonder black is an Eleven Year old super genius who uses tech and hacking skill to fight. Power: Unite Bomb (Voiced by Kris Zimmerman)

Bomb isn't very strong or fast, but it has a unique ability: It slows down time.

Release Dates
EU August 23, 2013
JP August 24, 2013
AU August 24, 2013
NA September 15, 2013 (:negative:)

Videos

Nintendo Direct With Kamiya:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyKR-myMjZU

Directors Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNefE89DZds

Chip Cheezum's :frogsiren:SKILLED:frogsiren: run of the demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRdRo5MxaJY

:ducksiren:Saur's in depth System Breakdown:ducksiren: (holy poo poo dude watch this one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdHbPXNJvVE

Dred Cosmonaut fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Did you watch the system breakdown by Saur? You really need to, its pretty loving good, but the short end is basically that its faster to get the morphs out in a hectic environment by drawing them with the stick instead of the touchscreen. Also press "X" instead of "A" when drawing and the new morph will not take over as leader. So, for example, you can be using hand but bust out a sword or hammer to help deal damage. You can have up to four morphs out at once.

Dred Cosmonaut fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 2, 2013

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Am I looking at 1 super hero or two?
The only feature this game is missing out on is "insta-replays" so many holy poo poo combos I want to see again right-a-way.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I had a lot of fun with the demo and I'm really looking forward to playing the full game in 2 weeks.
It's not going to get the sales it deserves because there just isn't that many WiiU's out there, but hopefully it sells as well as it can. This is the type of exclusive the WiiU needs and hopefully the demo & Direct get people interested.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Henshin a go go?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Really amped for this game, I mean at this point I'd buy a wet turd with Hideki Kamiya's name on it, but this legit looks like a super clever, fun, game. The demo is wonderful to give you a taste of most all of it and make you really want to see the more advanced poo poo.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This is gonna be my first Platinum game (aside from Okami if that counts). From what I know about the others' difficulty, I'm a bit intimidated. I don't think I'll be getting Pure Platinums any time soon.

But hey at least I've got a month to practice if I want. The demo was really awesome.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I highly recommend watching Chip Cheezum's playthrough. He points out so many things that I had missed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Regy Rusty posted:

This is gonna be my first Platinum game (aside from Okami if that counts). From what I know about the others' difficulty, I'm a bit intimidated. I don't think I'll be getting Pure Platinums any time soon.

But hey at least I've got a month to practice if I want. The demo was really awesome.

As already said watch the Chip playthrough, dude knows the demo well. Beyond that most Platinum games have a fairly gentle (to me at least) curve. poo poo gets crazy but you're eased into it. You start small and build up, as long as you pay attention you should be fine.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

1. yes okami counts

2. Buy and play every single other one. Clover and platinum. I will vouch for the quality of all of them (except endless space, its not really "Platinum")

3. Difficulty wise, Platinum does not dumb things down. Normal is normal, hard is hard. The game will not be roll over and die easy like most modern games if you do not set it to easy. The good news is Platinum games are all super deep, so you will get better if you try. I've posted about it before in the Rising thread, but the final boss of that game was a complete brick wall for me at first. I kept at it though, and I slowly but surely began doing more and more damage while taking less and less until eventually I OWNED that fucker. The most satisfying video game victory in my recent memory.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

1. yes okami counts

2. Buy and play every single other one. Clover and platinum. I will vouch for the quality of all of them (except endless space, its not really "Platinum")

3. Difficulty wise, Platinum does not dumb things down. Normal is normal, hard is hard. The game will not be roll over and die easy like most modern games if you do not set it to easy. The good news is Platinum games are all super deep, so you will get better if you try. I've posted about it before in the Rising thread, but the final boss of that game was a complete brick wall for me at first. I kept at it though, and I slowly but surely began doing more and more damage while taking less and less until eventually I OWNED that fucker. The most satisfying video game victory in my recent memory.

Infinite Space is them, I would love to see their take on 4X games. Chip's guide should be in the OP as required viewing put some rotating lights up on that.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Im so absolutely psyched about this game. It reminds me so much of Viewtiful Joe. The demo ran so smooth and once you figured it out it was sweet. Having the ability to have multiple swords swing at enemies while I punch them with an oversized fist ruled.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Junkie Disease posted:

Infinite Space is them, I would love to see their take on 4X games. Chip's guide should be in the OP as required viewing put some rotating lights up on that.

Yes I know they developed it, but it doesn't really have their unique style to it. Theres no deep action gameplay, no silly over the top story, no pummel duels. And is a platinum without pummel duels really a platinum game at all?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I don't have the systems the others are on, so I've been living vicariously through the Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising LPs. I'll get Bayonetta 2 when it comes out though, so long as my W-101 experience isn't a disaster.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Yes I know they developed it, but it doesn't really have their unique style to it. Theres no deep action gameplay, no silly over the top story, no pummel duels. And is a platinum without pummel duels really a platinum game at all?

They actually didn't develop Infinite Space. It was made by Nudemaker; Platinum pretty much just got it published.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't have the systems the others are on, so I've been living vicariously through the Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising LPs. I'll get Bayonetta 2 when it comes out though, so long as my W-101 experience isn't a disaster.

Well since the WiiU plays Wii games you can track down a copy of Madworld. That's a Platinum game with definite over the top stuff all around. Also commentary during the whole thing by Greg Proops and Bender.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Good OP! I'd just say that you should link to Platinum's blog, since it's insightful and pretty funny.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Platinum Games rules because they make the most videogame-rear end video games. Also I forgot to mention in my demo video that Team Attacks are also good for restoring your batteries.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I also have to give them props for having the second Russian character I have seen in video games recently that is not nor has not been a terrorist at some point, nor is a charming Tyler Durdenesque split personality. :ussr:

Seriously, the game is like if you took Viewtiful Joe, Pikmin, and the good parts of Dynasty Warriors games and put them all in a blender.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
Wonder Yellow truly is the greatest. I wish it was easier to bring him and his hammer out on the fly, though. It's a slightly more complex drawing than the others so I mess it up a lot, or I accidentally get the whip somehow, or underestimate how big I'm drawing and run out of guys.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Oh, another thing I just noticed. If you're trying to get a good medal for your combo score, definitely make sure to daze some enemies via pudding blocks or whatever, because every time you strike a dazed enemy you get 100 bonus points. Juggling a dazed enemy with the sword can get you a lot of extra points.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I was just making a bad joke that you said "endless space" when you ment infinite. What are the chances this game will get bobble heads in stores? Second question. Am I invincable when dodging or just getting lucky? I'm not the best dodger.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I've had a lot of fun with the demo. Took me a bit to get my bearings but once I had the hang of the gameplay I really enjoyed it. Multiplayer missions are a lot of fun too, with multiple squads of heroes tearing poo poo up.

I hope this does well for Platinum. They've made a lot of great games without really having a breakout sales hit outside of Bayonetta. I think this is, aesthetically at least with the bold, colourful superhero look, their most accessible title yet. It's hindered by the small userbase of the Wii U but I think it could do okay with what's there anyway if Nintendo gives it the right push.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to getting the full release.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

So in the part where you're holding the shield and the tankers are falling from above, are you just supposed to memorise where they're going to fall? There doesn't seem to be enough time to react, and I don't see shadows on the ground to warn you where they're going to fall or anything. Am I missing something?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Worth mentioning for those who don't already know: NOE is doing a promotion in Europe where you can get the digital version of W101 for 30% off if you buy the digital version of Pikmin 3 first.

EDIT: also, this game really isn't anything like Pikmin whatsoever. It's a comparison people keep making but it really isn't accurate.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 11, 2013

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Suaimhneas posted:

So in the part where you're holding the shield and the tankers are falling from above, are you just supposed to memorise where they're going to fall? There doesn't seem to be enough time to react, and I don't see shadows on the ground to warn you where they're going to fall or anything. Am I missing something?

On easy things slow down to let you spot things, on normal it's basically "gently caress you this is a Platinum game". Also christ does Mission ramp up the enemies. I'm really going to need some work to get good at this fighting system, though I upped my rank on the story mission to gold at least.

E: Also my sister looked up the game after my incessant tweeting during the Direct and she's now buying a Wii U for it. I do actually think this could be a system seller if pushed right, god knows there are few things better grabbing attention than massive superhero teams.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 11, 2013

Hook
Jun 3, 2011

red knight
I ended up buying a Wii U a little earlier than I planned thanks to this demo being released. I've played through several times now and it's still great. It's good to feel like I'm improving on subsequent runs, too. Any word on how many difficulty levels there will be in the final version?

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Platinum's games usually have five or six difficulty modes.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Suaimhneas posted:

I just put my back against a wall, never got hit.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Anyone been able to platinum the mission mode? Best ive done is gold but it seems you really need a high combo score to hit platinum, possibly using the whip and hammer morphs.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I want to be excited by the game but the art style and character design is utterly repulsive to me. It has nothing to do with polygons and textures, it's just ugly and off-putting in a way that I can't really explain. It's like an uncanny cross between super-deformed, childlike characters and "realistic" shonen anime that doesn't have the strengths of either. If it had been more stylized a la Little King's Story I'd probably like it a lot more.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

This might be the game that convinces me to get a Wii U. Well this and Bayonetta 2.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Testekill posted:

This might be the game that convinces me to get a Wii U. Well this and Bayonetta 2.

I'm in the same boat but I can't justify paying that kind of money for two games.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
This is absolutely on the list once I grab a Wii U. This gen I'm leaning toward PS4 as my primary system, but I do plan on grabbing a Wii U at some point(probably when I can also get a new Mario and/or Zelda with it.) This looks incredibly fun and goofy. It's like if P* designed a Sentai Amusement Park-I picture it looking exactly like this.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I went and grabbed the demo for this the day after the Direct for it, and I've just been having a blast with it. Huge thanks to Chip for his playthrough video of the demo, as it's helped me out a lot the second time I played through it. I've yet to really experiment with the different Unite Morphs outside of Hand and Sword, though; Gun takes some getting used to, and Whip and Hammer I only discovered in my second playthrough and haven't used much.

God September 15th can't come soon enough, but I dunno if I can even afford it by then. :negative:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Renoistic posted:

I'm in the same boat but I can't justify paying that kind of money for two games.

Well it's 3 games, since you'll be buying Pikmin 3 as well!

Has anyone figured out how to draw white/black, or are they not in the demo? I need to go back and figure out yellow...

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm kind of close to buying a Wii U now between this, Bayonetta 2, and the Wind Waker HD(I hope they rearrange puzzles like the Ocarina Master Quest) but then again I haven't touched a video game in a couple of months. But I did love all of Platinums/Clovers games.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL

gannyGrabber posted:

Has anyone figured out how to draw white/black, or are they not in the demo? I need to go back and figure out yellow...

Black and White aren't in the demo, unless they're super hidden. Some people have been saying you just play around with drawing their morphs to unlock Pink and Yellow, but you have to recruit them from the mission hub first with the wonder-liner. They're invisible in the top left and right respectively. Black and White don't show up to be recruited.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
After having played through a couple of times and watched Chip's run of the demo (you're awesome) this game is a definite day 1 purchase. Usually I'm not into the whole sentai/superheroes thing but this is tongue-in-cheek enough and also has that platinum flair, and the artstyle is pretty alright too. The levels look absolutely fantastic too, they remind me strongly of earthbound in their cartooniness but also have immense detail and tons of nooks and crannies to look in.

The Pudding is also super satisfying when used right, love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Somebody said nobody would purchase a Wii U for this game, they were wrong.

• Locked thread