Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Joink posted:

One of the legitimate complaints ive read from some reviews is that the dodge skills(unite guts/spring) aren't available off the bat, and bought through the wondermart. Anyway after completing the prologue you have more than enough credits to buy both those skills before starting level 1 making the point rather moot. I really dislike game reviews.

Same thing with Revengeance. You start with enough points to pick up the dodge the exact second you start the first level. I mean, I wish they would cut out the middle man and let you start with dodge, but its not a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it's kinda an annoying newbie trap to make it possible to skip buying the dodge for some reason, not a huge flaw but it isn't the best.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo NA dudes, Nintendo is gonna be selling the game at PAX Prime n a first-come first-served basis, so if you happen to be in the area and wanna grab the game early, there's your chance.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Same thing with Revengeance. You start with enough points to pick up the dodge the exact second you start the first level. I mean, I wish they would cut out the middle man and let you start with dodge, but its not a big deal.

Reveangance was mostly about the partying mechanic and even the dodge was more of a disengage attack so I think it was forgivable there. Dodging seems a bit more important here though, unless I should be using the jello more often?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Using the jello dizzies enemies, which allows for launching them, and air combos give more combo points. So yeah, I'd say it's just like MGR where you want to be parrying/blocking attacks unless it's one of the types you can't block.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
So according to the blog, you can use Bayonetta's Witchtime and Rising's Parry Counter. This is everything Kamiya rolled into one.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Nickoten posted:

Reveangance was mostly about the partying mechanic and even the dodge was more of a disengage attack so I think it was forgivable there. Dodging seems a bit more important here though, unless I should be using the jello more often?

Yes it was. All parties should involve fighting a giant robot with a sword.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Testekill posted:

Yes it was. All parties should involve fighting a giant robot with a sword.

What's this "should"? I got no idea what kinda parties you're going to that don't, and I don't care to.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Has anyone beat 001-C already? I'm stuck and can't figure out what to do.

One of the heads is down and I can use Unite Build to do..something with it, but it doesn't really seem to work.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Dunban posted:

One of the heads is down and I can use Unite Build to do..something with it, but it doesn't really seem to work.

Yeah you're just supposed to unite build. That part was kind of finicky for me too. Just keep throwing all your guys at it and it should work eventually. You might also have to have the leader walk into it to trigger it or something, I'm not really sure.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah you're just supposed to unite build. That part was kind of finicky for me too. Just keep throwing all your guys at it and it should work eventually. You might also have to have the leader walk into it to trigger it or something, I'm not really sure.

I'm trying that, but nothing happens. Do I need more guys? If so, how do I get them? Can I inflict damage on the other head?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Dunban posted:

I'm trying that, but nothing happens. Do I need more guys? If so, how do I get them? Can I inflict damage on the other head?

If I'm thinking of the right part, that's pretty much the end of that phase so I don't think you'd need to damage the other head any more. I'm not sure how'd you'd get more guys. The boss dumped a bunch civilians a few times during the fight and that seemed to give me enough for the unite build when it came up. It's weird that it's not working for you

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Alright, I figured it out.

I did have to keep attacking the other head, eventually he dropped another ball containing more civilians, that gave me enough guys to complete the Unite Build.

Only got a consolation prize for that mission :gbsmith:

X Ray Monster
Feb 6, 2013
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/thewonderful101/1/0
Part 2 of the W101 Iwata Asks is available in English now. Really great interview, be sure to check it out. I can't believe how late in development the Multi Unite Morph was implemented.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Saur loves this game, and is making an awesome series on the system breakdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdHbPXNJvVE

This is absolutely VITAL stuff if you are interested in having fun with this game's systems imo.

SurrealityCheck fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 22, 2013

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I just got as far as Wonder Pink joining. Getting a lot of "consolation prize" ranks, drat this is hard. It's fun and the story is enjoyably cheesy, but I think going for pure platinums in this game is going to be an exercise in frustration. Attacks from offscreen with no warning, and an unchangeable camera angle, these are not a good combination.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

SurrealityCheck posted:

This is absolutely VITAL stuff if you are interested in having fun with this game's systems imo.

I'm going to go home and practice the weapon unite mix combos. It's exactly what was I asking about earlier in the thread. You don't need to equip or learn any skill to be able to do this right?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Suaimhneas posted:

I just got as far as Wonder Pink joining. Getting a lot of "consolation prize" ranks, drat this is hard. It's fun and the story is enjoyably cheesy, but I think going for pure platinums in this game is going to be an exercise in frustration. Attacks from offscreen with no warning, and an unchangeable camera angle, these are not a good combination.

I've been getting platinum/golds in time and combo rankings pretty consistently but I almost always take a few hits and it brings my rank down to gold/silver. The biggest problem I'm having is that I can't seem to tell which attacks can/can't be blocked, especially against bigger enemies. If there's some kind of tell for it, I'm not seeing it.

I just bought the Hero Counter though so hopefully getting the hang of that will help me get platinum in damage more reliably than just using Unite Guts.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Help Im Alive posted:

I've been getting platinum/golds in time and combo rankings pretty consistently but I almost always take a few hits and it brings my rank down to gold/silver. The biggest problem I'm having is that I can't seem to tell which attacks can/can't be blocked, especially against bigger enemies. If there's some kind of tell for it, I'm not seeing it.

I just bought the Hero Counter though so hopefully getting the hang of that will help me get platinum in damage more reliably than just using Unite Guts.

I've noticed that attacks I can't block glow red or blue when they're winding up

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

X Ray Monster posted:

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/thewonderful101/1/0
Part 2 of the W101 Iwata Asks is available in English now. Really great interview, be sure to check it out. I can't believe how late in development the Multi Unite Morph was implemented.

I was going to tweet Kamiya and ask which Wonder power he'd have, sounds like he's actually in the game though so who knew that would be a spoiler.

Also curiosity is killing me on who this mysterious cameo character is that was adopted for the franchise. Uses guns but in this game is a fist fighter, and has his/her own unique drawing and unite morph exclusive to it.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I was going to tweet Kamiya and ask which Wonder power he'd have, sounds like he's actually in the game though so who knew that would be a spoiler.

Also curiosity is killing me on who this mysterious cameo character is that was adopted for the franchise. Uses guns but in this game is a fist fighter, and has his/her own unique drawing and unite morph exclusive to it.

Someone else found this in the Wonderful 101 digital manual.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Okay, I'm at the part where the giant robot attacks for the second time and you have to run from it. I got through the part where you run through the interior of the building as it tilts over, then the robot throws it. I land on a small platform, the game prompts me to do a wonder-jump to another small platform, then... I have no loving clue what to do next. I have a few seconds before the platform falls, the little robot thing is projecting an arrow which usually means create a wonder-liner bridge to somewhere, but I've tried doing that in every direction and nothing works. Anyone figured out this part?

Edit: nevermind I'm dumb, I completely forgot about the glider

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 23, 2013

TyrantGuardian
Jan 26, 2011

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Someone else found this in the Wonderful 101 digital manual.

pic

That could just be Luka though, right? He's been in the story trailers and stuff.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

I can't help but feel I'm missing something with some of the enemies in this game. The big spiked robots for example, take forever to remove the armor from with the whip, which always destroys my ranking no matter how well I do in the other aspects. And the big blob monster, I just can't read the timing of it's attacks, probably because it's hard to read the tells of a blob of jelly. Are there tricks to fighting these or something because if there are they don't seem particularly intuitive.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I am terrible at this game, holy poo poo, two continues on the first proper stage and that's after I already beat most of it in the demo, ugh. Also got stuck on the scenery so badly I had to reload my game twice in the first level, not a good sign.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

Dunban posted:

This hit me too and seems to be a fairly consistent thing, it's very finicky about getting all your dudes in and doesn't say how much you actually need annoyingly. Oh well, once you figure out its gimmicks the boss isn't too bad and is otherwise pretty badass.

Having a lot of trouble with taking in everything on the screen, though maybe that just me sitting too close to the TV as it's currently 2 metres closer than it should be because home renovation stuff. Also, loving how overly shiny everyone is!

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

SurrealityCheck posted:

This is a great tutorial, if anyone is having trouble they should check this out.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
That Iwata Asks made me grin hard. It's really interesting to see the relationship between Nintendo and Platinum, I hope we'll get much more from that. I can't wait to see how Bayonetta 2 turned out, what with the supervision by Nintendo.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's not spoilers or anything but this member of the W100 is a pretty neat Viewtiful Joe cameo. Linked just in case

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Bland posted:

I can't help but feel I'm missing something with some of the enemies in this game. The big spiked robots for example, take forever to remove the armor from with the whip, which always destroys my ranking no matter how well I do in the other aspects. And the big blob monster, I just can't read the timing of it's attacks, probably because it's hard to read the tells of a blob of jelly. Are there tricks to fighting these or something because if there are they don't seem particularly intuitive.

Heh you're not alone there, I've gotten up to recruiting Wonder White and it still takes me forever to whip off those spiky dudes armour. I don't know if Unite size has anything to do with it, but I can never avoid the blob's 360 harpoon attack either, it's just way too quick for me to notice.

Eitherway I'm having fuuuuuuun.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

This game :allears:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Only on the second level, but those space pirates? Holy poo poo I nearly died laughing at Wonder Red actually getting really into the tale of the space pirate prince's anime childhood while everyone else on both sides is just wondering what the hell is wrong with their leaders. Platinum's known for really good gameplay but I think their writing/directing is underrated they got better comedic sense than basically any other developer and they certainly know how to get you psyched for a boss fight like nobody else.

One thing I'm really hoping this takes from Metal Gear Rising, is finishing at it's strongest point, so few games do that and it's great when they do.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Bland posted:

I can't help but feel I'm missing something with some of the enemies in this game. The big spiked robots for example, take forever to remove the armor from with the whip, which always destroys my ranking no matter how well I do in the other aspects.

Yeah I have the same problem, I've tried using a bigger whip or multiple whips at once, but neither seem to make any difference.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
During dialog scenes, if you hold the ZR trigger down you can see through everyone's masks to see their real eyes. Not sure what the point is really, but I found out by accident.

Edit: Holy poo poo, Operation 005-C boss was awesome. When fighting Laambo's brother "I'm not here for revengeance! :haw:

charismaslover fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 25, 2013

Damone
May 3, 2009
Welp, I just killed a boss by tickling it. GOTY folks, pack it up.

Also, during the quick time draw a shape events use as many dudes as possible for a nice bit of extra cash. You get like a 1000 Extra per dude or something? Oh, and get quick-liner as soon as possible, drawing shapes fast is incredibly important.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Holy poo poo, I just recruited (operation 6-2 hidden character)Santa Claus. This game is just ridiculous.

Also, a hint for people just starting out: if you get 30 of each Space Vegetable, you can cook them into a credit card that lets you get one item from the store for free, which is a pretty huge help in the beginning of the game.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Anyone have any tips for the Vorkken fights?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

charismaslover posted:

Anyone have any tips for the Vorkken fights?

Block his Hand and Hammer attacks with Guts, this stuns him and gives you a short window during which you can use your own heavy hitters.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How do you throw away enemy weapons? I'm meant to go in an indoor area and this massive whip I'm holding is preventing me from moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Teenage Fansub posted:

How do you throw away enemy weapons? I'm meant to go in an indoor area and this massive whip I'm holding is preventing me from moving.

Jiggle the left stick about.

• Locked thread