Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It wouldn't be Platinum if it didn't get a hilarious review from someone who didn't understand how to play the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheCoon posted:

Kamiya was bitching about Nintendo not marketing the game properly a few months ago. Hopefully he's smart enough to care about sales because if Bayonetta 2 bombs and Nintendo drops them they'll be in a pretty rough spot.

Maybe they can transition to making dating sims seen as they got outsold over 3 to 1 by the vita version of a game about knocking up high school girls (コンセプションⅡ 七星の導きとマズルの悪夢). :japan:

Konami is, by all reports, very pleased with Metal Gear Rising so it is pretty unlikely Platinum is going to be in bad shape if both games bomb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jut posted:

Blah, I bought this today and after dying on 001, just said 'gently caress this' and turned it off.
The controls are unintuitive and poo poo. Plain and simple.
The first thing was during the tutorial part when I was asked to draw a circle with R. I rotated the stick then mashed A. 'BARP! Try again', I tried again and again and again before realising no, I don't rotate the pad but draw a large slow circle, which sometimes works or sometimes doesn't.

Second issue is the whole drawing thing. I have two choices
1) Take my hand off the face buttons, use the R stick, draw, then move back to the face buttons
or
2) Take my hand off the face buttons, look away from the TV, look down at the screen and draw, press face button and look back at the TV.

The converting of citizens seems to be fairly glitchy or unintuitive, sometimes they will join me, other times they won't even though I draw a line straight through them. There was a bit on the bus train where I didn't seem to have enough dudes to make the chain to cross the gap, and ahhh gently caress it, I guess this will be a cult classic or some poo poo, but there just seem to be glaring design issues that I can't be hosed fighting though. Controls should be natural, not something you have to fight with in order to play (why can't I remap the 'finish drawing' button to a trigger???

You're not really paying attention to the controls then.

You draw a circle by doing a quick 360 degree movement on the pad. You'll know it is a correct movement because it turns red. You don't need to do a large slow circle at all. Pretty much all of the moves are basically fighting game inputs. You do need to draw larger ones if you want to do stronger (but slower) moves but that's pretty easy to do. It's incredibly low-effort and you are given giant color-coded lines to know when you've done it right.

You convert citizens by circling them, not by drawing a line through them. The game tells you this. You flat-out ignored the instructions which is why you're having trouble. It's extremely lenient towards the requirements which is why it was working for you sometimes. Even a slightly curved line is often enough.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 29, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jut posted:

The biggest issue for me is the moving around from stick to face to stick to face TBH.

This is really a common video game technique so I'm not sure why it is a problem for you. I don't mean that in an offensive way, I just don't really see why you'd have a problem here and not with all the other games on the market that make use of right analog + face buttons. Tons of games use the right analog stick and the face buttons, if just for camera control at bare minimum. Time slows down when you're doing a Unite and all you need the face buttons for is confirmation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spite posted:

It's worth noting you don't have the launcher at first. It's a hard game, and you don't have the block or dodge by default (guts and spring, respectively). Which makes it harder to get into.

You get enough money from the tutorial to afford both and the tutorial is incredibly simple.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

Oh god damnit, I completely forgot to look at my actual screen :v:

Generally if you can't figure out what to do on a puzzle, that is why.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

horriblePencilist posted:

This game is absolutely amazing. It's super-challenging, (gently caress you, Vorrken) but ultimately fair and awfully fun. I recently got Wonder Black and although I'm having issues integrating him in my combos, mixing up unite morphs is tons of fun.

Is there anything beyond damaging opponents to level up your teammates? I've beaten the forth boss mostly with Unite Gun and I still haven't unlocked Rising for it.

Edit: If anyone thinks the spiky armor dudes take too long to disarm, use a bigger whip, you can rid it with a couple hits if it's big enough. Unite Charge really helps out in this case.

Also, I'm having trouble effectively fighting the turtle monsters. I understand you can block their stomp and knock them over, but the geathjerk file mentions their tail being their weakpoint, and while it looks like I could use Unite Whip on it, it's not doing anything.Am I missing something?

Honestly, for those guys, my strategy was Unite Hammer -> Unite Hammer Rising -> Unite Air Hammer -> repeat. That combo tore through their armor like nothing.

Black is honestly the hardest to get into combos because he's more of a debuff than an attacker. I usually start off with him but then just use others.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blast of Confetti posted:

Is there a snowball's chance in Hell this will ever be a non-exclusive? I normally don't care about action games, but Chip's video where he played the demo looks awesome. Panicking because I just hosed something up and hastily drawing the weapon I need to not die sounds tense as hell.

No. Nintendo completely funded it. It is never coming to another system. Platinum could make a similar game for another system maybe but W101 is completely Nintendo's.

Joink posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bya_kIINBfQ

New combo strats video, really shows how deep the combat is.

Those are honestly pretty basic combos too. You can do some hilarious poo poo once you master stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zeether posted:

Polygon put up their review of the game and while it's not nearly as terrible as Blistered Thumbs' it's still a bit critical of stuff (although this is probably expected since Platinum titles get mixed reviews): http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/10/4714292/the-wonderful-101-review

Every single time someone says they don't know how to do the claws, I get utterly bewildered.

Claws are literally "tap left, tap right, tap left." It's like doing Sabin's first blitz in Final Fantasy VI. It requires absolutely no effort whatsoever. Seriously. Three button taps. It is one of the easiest weapons to switch to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W101 has some stuff which feels weird, but a lot of that is cultural.

Super Sentai, the stuff W101 is based off of, is a kid's show in Japan but they have different ideas of what is okay for kid's shows in Japan. As an end result W101 is like 90% totally fine for kids and 10% inexplicably rear end shots, dick jokes and breast references. It's exactly something you'd see in a kid's show in Japan but it's probably something that would be weird for parents who purchase the extremely kid-friendly looking game and run smack dab into that stuff. (Of course in the US we had Rocko's Modern Life when I was a kid so....)

I think it's worth mentioning in a review but for the most part it is presented as a kid-friendly game and is actually really good for kids on lower difficulty levels. The characters are stereotypes but (aside from maybe Pink) simple and cheerful ones. They're more Pacific Rim than straight racism. The entire thing is good-natured, rarely-cynical, worldwide heroism.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 13, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How does the Hero Counter work? I've accidentally did it once, but I just can't seem to figure out the timeing. It's just flicking the stick in the direction of the enemy just as he's about to hit, right?

Yep. It's exactly the same as the Moons from Bayonetta.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Right, the Japanese studio with the Japanese publisher makes an offensive Japanese character.

To be fair he's voiced by Yuri Lowenthal doing a seriously forced accent, so it does actually sound pretty doofy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Bayonetta seems like a really obvious point of reference. I don't get why people are treating this game like it crash-landed on earth from outer space, it's not really that far removed from your typical character action game.

There seems to be a mental block where people went in expecting Pikmin and are completely and utterly incapable of switching gears even though the game is so Bayonetta that it contains direct, repeated, blatant references to Bayonetta.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tooooooo bad posted:

Is the camera locked at an angle or can you freely rotate it around your characters?

Locked at an angle outside, indoors you can rotate freely. Indoor areas are almost universally puzzle areas except for like one or two which contain simple enemies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I know reviewers are ultimate scum and whatever but how is the camera? There's one thing that persists and it's "I get hit by off screen stuff ALL THE TIME" and wondering how legit that is. So hyped for this on sunday :woop:

I honestly never had much trouble with it, but i kept it zoomed out to maximum at all times. Frankly I would say a more likely issue is "so much poo poo is onscreen it's hard to keep track of" more than "I'm getting hit offscreen."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Played the demo at a friend's place. It is Platinum's destiny to save Video Games.

I am seriously holding out on buying a Wii U for as long as possible but this is making it hard.

I don't know, does it really count as it being their destiny to save games when everyone who wants it goes "Well, I'll buy it later?" Ain't really their fault but I doubt we're gonna see a W102 when even the people who have a Wii U and want the game are going "I'll wait for it to be on sale."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dunban posted:

Everyone?

I bought a Wii U for it. I know plenty of others who've done the same and quite a few who already own a Wii U and are really looking forward to the game's US release.

Well, that's hyperbole, but a lot of what I've seen on it is "I'll wait (because it's going to sell like poo poo and will be $20 in 2 months.)"

Which is a completely reasonable path to take because it will be $20 in two months. v:shobon:v

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hypha posted:

One day, Platinum will make a bad game and we will all bemoan its fall into the terrible rut of standard video game tropes. Today is not that day.

Anarchy Reigns wasn't so hot. Honestly I wasn't that big on Madworld either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

He makes it sound like the game doesn't have a main focus in it's gameplay and tacked on a whole lot of extra systems where it's the jack of all trades but the master of none. He mentions Dark Souls, and in comparison Dark Souls knew what it was supposed to be and really buckled down to make it's systems the best examples they could be.

That isn't really what it is at all. It very much falls into the same mold as DMC or Bayonetta where it has a lot of systems that offer a variety of options.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Finished Operation 001. Loving the game but they really should explain a few things, biggest problem is Blue's Face icon. I've had it pop up numerous times and I assumed "Oh get a sword ready" but each time I try I get kicked in the teeth so I have no goddamn idea.

General takes a big swing, I get a sword ready on the "heh" command and pow I'm sent flying. Giant dragon lunges and I get the sword ready and chomp there he goes. It's really frustrating.

That is exactly what you're supposed to do. The face icons are a "have this weapon ready to activate a QTE" thing. Do you actually have the sword out and prepared to intercept the attack?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

On the General I didn't but played through C twice and All four times I had it out and ready I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Odd, I just tried it and it worked fine. I'll try to record it when I get a free moment, it may be positioning that is your problem.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Will give it a shot when I resume. Unrelated question for 001-B

After the helmet section I jumped across a broken bridge and found a wonderful one and some people on a burning building but couldn't figure out how to get to them, am I missing something obvious?

You need other abilities to get to them IIRC.

WendigoJohnson posted:

You could make two comparisons between Metal gear Solid:Revengence and something like Anarchy Reigns. Revengence explained all it's systems thoroughly and used them to their full extent, where as Anarchy decided to take Spawn:Dark Arena add in an adventure mode and then never utilize the adventure game aspects to their full extent and leave it hanging.

One of the primary criticisms of Revengence was that it didn't explain itself enough and many people who played the game didn't understand basic mechanics even as far as the final boss, so I don't get what you mean here. Like the complaints people have about W101 exactly mirror the complaints from Revengence.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 15, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wow I hate the boss of operation 2

I keep trying but he always destroys the tower. I have no idea how to keep him from spamming his missile fire or any of the attacks that seem to be unstoppable (him slam dunking buildings etc). Combined with the fact that once again the unite QTE's would not work I'm pissed off.

Like I'm sure I'll look silly if I ever figure it out but those should NOT have been in the game. I have gun out. "I'll wait for a QTE to pop up" *slam* "Oh whip? I'll wait for a QTE to pop up I have it out" *hit* "Okay whip again this time I'll try to hit the button before he connects" *hit*

It just isn't working.

Missile fire is either Unite Hammer (on replay) or just attack him while he's doing it. There's probably other counters too but it's one of his least-threatening moves. It's not actually that damaging and leaves him massively vulnerable. Throwing the building is Unite Gun, you shoot him before he slams it into you. Every move he has has a direct and simple counter. Try to think about what he's doing and counter it.

I don't know why you're having such problems but not every Unite works the same way. The faces are more like hints what you should be using. Try to experiment.

Edit: For example, the whip unite in that fight is grabbing Pink Leader as he flies by. You need to be in the right position to do so. It isn't hitting the enemy an trying to use the whip to block his attacks is going to get you smashed.

Another thing to mention is that the Custom Blocks quite literally change the game. Speed Charge and Unite Charge are huge and will massively increase your combat potential. Stuff like Hero Time, Hero Counter and Hero Sense give you new abilities to use which are ridiculously powerful. (Hero Time is Witch Time, Hero Counter is Moons, Hero Sense is effectively a free "nosell an attack" as long as you have unite charge which is borderline cheating in power.) Buy those before anything else and save your Credit Cards for buying them.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 16, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dieting Hippo posted:

How did I get 102?

100 is not actually the maximum number available to you. You'll occasionally recruit other plot-relevant characters who put you over 100.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Wicked Wall posted:

The only attack of his that is completely unblockable is where he puts his finger to his temple and fires a parallel jet of drills, the rest are all reflectable or able to be mitigated. All his fist and hand smashes can be Guts'd, the giant piece of debris he waits a moment to throw can be shot in his hands with gun, the bombs can be thrown or shot back at him with gun's absorb function, etc. I think the drills MIGHT be reflectable with a certain secret character's unite morph but I only just unlocked him so I'll check next time I play.

Echoing on the buying stuff with cards; it is absolutely worth it to save your space vegetables for only making the cards as if you look around the levels a bit you can easily get enough consumable health items to last you however long. You can buy them cheaply in the shop between missions if you're absolutely gagging for them while you're learning the basics, but bottom line is it's just not worth it at all to get anything BUT cards.

You also get handed a decent amount of the screen nuke items if you ever want to use them, but I personally never have because they reduce your score. Use your cards to get anything over 400k, and try to get Spring, Guts, Speed Liner, Unite Charge, Speed Charge up and running fast. ImpAtom already mentioned the best custom blocks aside from those ones, though it's worth mentioning some of them have really wonky mechanics and interactions with others (Hero Counter makes you almost unable to pick up bombs with gun unless you run really slow into them, as you autocounter and blow them up, Hero Sense will trigger when you reflect stuff with Guts and possibly even gently caress up your timing and gauge usage hard).

tl;dr: Very, very rare to have a boss with lots of unblockable attacks, that one only has one. Only use vegetables on cards, buy the most expensive (but useful) stuff with them.

It's not even a secret character. Unite Hammer can stop the damage from the missiles. I'm fairly sure you're right that Unify Naginata can stop them too tho'.

Yeah, Hero Sense is very very powerful but it interacts poorly with Unite Guts so if you find yourself relying on Unite Guts you might want to go for Hero Counter instead because they play better together. (As far as bombs go I basically use Unite Whip for them almost universally just because it feels more reliable to me so I didn't encounter the Hero Counter problem.) You're probably not going to be able to equip everything so try to figure out what plays nicely with your playstyle. (Speed Liner and Unite Charge are absolutely great to have early on though. You can probably switch out Unite Charge later on for something else once you get comfortable with drawing huge lines.)

Dieting Hippo posted:

I think I also found a way of never losing all your health. I've got Energy Converter and the Attack Liner on, and when I throw the Attack Liner into enemies, it fills my unite energy bar. Once that fills, my health starts to rocket up. You can also cancel the liner once you run out of people and do it again, and you'll keep all accrued energy/health.

Never use an item for health or energy again. It's especially useful when fighting Vorkken and his 100, since you gain more energy from each enemy hit.

To add to this: Hero Camp will instantly refill all of your unite gauge if you activate it for even a second. If you're low, back off and Camp for a minute to refresh your energy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I knew all of those but taunting but holy poo poo I missed taunting. That's amazing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Alright someone spoil it for me in regards to bosses. Just finished 004

Do all of them have a stupid platform healthbar? I keep dying because of it instead of the actual boss and it really is ruining the enjoyment of the game for me. Normal combat I can do perfectly fine and I want to love the bosses but they're so goddamn frustrating mechanically to me.

Doesn't help I'm a dunce though and forgot what absorbed electricity so I dissolved into some DSP like state of anger.

No, it only shows up sometimes. And forgetting the counters is why you're having trouble, those reduce that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Another tip I don't think I've seen people point out:

When an enemy is about to explode (glowing purple) you can circle them and recruit them as you would a civilian. Great for pumping up your Wonderful numbers earlier in a level.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dieting Hippo posted:

I've only ever gotten Dough-Goo and Chew Dough-Goo recruited, is it possible to recruit anyone else? My usual strategy is to wait on recruiting civilians until my team is full of enemies, then recruit civilians until they start filling my Justice Rockets.

Bu the way, Justice Rockets own, and you probably have a stockpile of them you didn't know about. You can't wonder liner while it's out, but it'll blow the poo poo out of anything.

I'm fairly sure it's only low-rank enemies but I can't 100% confirm it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Well I've beat 001 and while I'm real bad at the game, and don't really know how to start getting better it's still a ton of fun for the most part.

There are a few really clunky things though. For one Unite Build seems to be really finicky. There's a point in the boss battle near the end of 001 where you have to unite build using all 100 of your guys and the last guy just wouldn't go in there to complete it. Maybe I was doing something wrong but it seems like they should've made that more automatic.

Sometimes there's still a guy out. Try reclicking the stick to make sure he or she goes in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

People don't want to play Easy mode. It's unfortunately that simple.

Video games are power fantasy and few people want to feel like the crappy weak guy who needs his hand held. Even if the game would be more fun for them, even if it was designed for them, they still don't want to play it that way.

It is why you've gotten towards the trend of developers renaming Easy as "Normal" and bumping Normal up to Hard, or giving the modes names like "Veteran" and "Champion" which sound better than "Easy/Normal."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

Why do publishers keep giving Platinum money? Dont get me wrong, Im incredibly glad that they do, but their games are pretty much always a guaranteed flop. It just doesnt seem to make a whole lot of business sense.

They tend to sell enough. Platinum does wonders with smaller budgets.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hook posted:

Does anyone know if there is a way to view the various Wonders' intro/stat screens or character models outside the initial recruitment? I feel like I've tried everything on the game pad and in the menu. Hopefully I'm just being dumb.

Finish the game and you unlock not only that but bios for each one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Any character with a special Unite Morph is unlockable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

whaley posted:

Yeah I haven't heard anything about the difficulties beyond Normal. I really hope they're different in some way.

Enemy placement changes. I haven't fooled around with the hardest difficulty mode but I think it removes slowdown during drawing ala Mission Mode.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What am I missing with the hammer? I found a secret portal thing and it gives me like 15 guys and wants me to wreck house with the hammer but... the thing is so goddamn slow and unless I can make it large enough I never seem to get anything done with it.

The best way to speed up the hammer is to use it and level up your hammer skills. Rising and Cyclone on the Hammer drastically speed it up

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chip Cheezum posted:

I beat this game yesterday and I think at a glance I like this game more than Bayonetta. Even if the gameplay were exactly the same as Bayonetta's I think I would like this game more just because the style, setting, and characters are a lot more appealing to me than Bayonetta's. Also when the game suddenly changes into a shooter or other genre it's generally fun and doesn't feel like it drags on forever like when it happens in Bayonetta.

To be honest I think I like Bayonetta's basic gameplay more but I do think W101 does the extra stuff a lot better, and I really do like the aesthetic and characters more.

I really appreciate how non-cynical it is. It's really rare for a game to just be pure unbridled heroic optimism.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 20, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ximum posted:

Am I missing something or is 007 just supposed to be the most tedious worst poo poo in the world. I was loving the game up to now, but this is loving stupid. Sometimes I can morph, sometimes I can't! It's taking me ten minutes to fight scrub level tanks! gently caress! :suicide:

I tried recruiting the enemies at the beginning, but couldn't even draw a line to do that.

007 is easily the weakest level.

Keep in mind you need a bare minimum number of Wonderful Ones to Unite Morph and you don't have them at the start. You can only do even a small unite morph if every single one of your team members is up and available. Just push past the early parts and you'll get a full team again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JackDarko posted:

I went the entire prologue and first section being really bad at the same, suddenly like magic I was good in the second chapter. I'm even able to change unite morphs mid air combo consistently.

That's pretty much platinum games in a nutshell. They take a while to click but once they do it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BioTech posted:

I defeated him eventually, by just using Noodle Soups the whole fight.

Have to be honest, I was blown away by this game at first but all those little annoyances are starting to add up. For sure the Vorkken fight was me sucking at the game, but the shmup level was absolutely terrible, I still can't get over how ever turtle fight is just using hammer and blocking until you get the Hammer Rising and now 007A has godawful platforming with a very long beginning where you can only use 10 Wonderful ones, meaning gun is useless, one hit takes away your power and you often can't even block.

It really is a waste of a wonderful game.

There are other options for the turtle fights. You don't even need to use hammer if you don't want to. It's actually more effective to bait and stun them in certain cases. As in the Vorkken fight, this is a result of you, not the game.

in 07 you can recruit enemies to pad yourself out.

• Locked thread