Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Darke GBF posted:

I just finished operation 6. This game has some interesting ideas, but they're buried under some really annoying mechanics and the badass setpieces just don't overcome the lows for me. Unite Guts is so inconsistent it's almost never worth using (Does it block only blunt attacks? Are gunshots considered blunt? How about Vorkken's tombstone? Turtle head bashes? NOBODY KNOWS! The game doesn't tell you!).

Things Guts does not protect against:
  • Piercing
  • Slicing
  • Biting
  • Shockwaves
  • Energy
  • Really big attacks when you have less than 50 people helping

Basically, anything that could actually get through a roughly equal mass of jello will go through guts. Gunshots are piercing because... well, bullets (contrast cannonballs, which are really big). Turtles bite. Vorkken's tombstone... actually I think that one may be an outlier. I've never tried to Guts it, only ever dodge through the shockwave because it's easy. I do know, however, that when he uses the hammer you have to Guts the actual hammer strike - if you try and Guts the shockwave you get hit. Vorkken does have quite a bit of bullshit going though, eg; his sword can pierce your Guts but your sword can't pierce his Guts. No fair.

It is annoying that there's no really definitive repository of useful information about the game... although Chip's LP is probably going to start serving that purpose for quite a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Doc V posted:

Hero Counter should work on every attack, but of course the timing for some of them can be trickier than others.

Interesting! I'm still not sure how lenient the timing window is (relative to, say, parrying in Revengeance) but I do know that some enemies I can counter with near 100% effectiveness (like those loving turtle assholes - I used to dread their goddamn extending-neck attack, now I pray for it constantly) so that's something.

New question of the day: Op 003-B, Secret Mission 5, Hard, is loving my poo poo up. It's the one with three of those dragon assholes who shield themselves with their wings and you have to pry them open. With three of those assholes at once I can't keep up with the amount of poo poo going down and the Standard Panic Response (Bomb -> Liner) doesn't seem to damage them. Any particular attacks I should be looking to bait and counter or am I just going to have to try and get impossibly good at dodging? (Seriously, it feels like most of their attacks can't be dodged, and I don't know if any can be Guts'd since they're all about biting and claws and fire).

If this thread is about to start getting some traffic again then that's great, because this is a much better place for 101 Questions than the LP thread.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Kind of related but with Hero counter you can also counter elemental hazards. I was grinding Ukemi in Lorule for that bottlecap by standing in the way of the fire in the volcano and would sometimes end up countering it v:v:v

Oh god this was the most annoying thing in that one mission in 001-B where you first fight the tiekku from on top of the building after fighting the You-houghs; he'd fire a bullet/cannonball/shell/thing, it'd land, I'd get UGun out, walk into it, and bam, counter, explosion, nothing left to pick up and fire back. I eventually figured out you could kinda curve the gun into it and that wouldn't trigger the counter, and somehow I thought that this was a more reasonable approach than, say, temporarily unequipping Hero Counter.

Related: Given that, am I right in thinking that Hero Counter actually isn't a matter of timing, and is actually just "you are holding the direction the correct way at the moment of attack"? Because you'd think if it were a timing thing I'd be able to just walk into those shells and not Counter them, but walking into enemy attacks never seems to work - it feels like I have to parry them.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Doc V posted:

I didn't have anything better to do, so I just spent like an hour getting a Pure Plat in that fight just for you :v:. I did find a pretty reliable strategy, though!

Before the fight, equip Hero Time and remove Dodge Mine (the extra damage from the mines will just ruin your combo score) and Drill Spring (it's just plain awful in general) if you have them equipped. Once the fight starts, draw a hammer and get some free hits on one of the dragons before they start moving, and then just dodge like hell. When you're chaining dodges (dodge again as soon as the previous dodge ends) you can't be hit and the dragons throw enough attacks around that you should be able to trigger Hero Time without even really trying. Dodging during a missile barrage and dodging straight into the soundwave attack seem to be particularly reliable ways to trigger it. Whenever you trigger Hero Time, find the closest dragon that isn't shielding and do a Hammer Rising -> normal air attack -> Hammer Rising combo and dodge away as soon as the second Rising connects*. If you aren't right next to a dragon when you trigger Hero Time you'll probably want to leave out the third or even the second hit so that you aren't in the middle of an attack when the slowdown runs out; basically, the idea is that if you're ever not in Hero Time you want to be dodging constantly so that you can be in Hero Time again and do the three hit hammer combo safely.

The small hammer should do enough damage to give you a Platinum rank for time, and since you get 100 combo points for dodging when you trigger Hero Time and 50 points for each Rising you should be good on combo points, too. The only things to really watch out for are if all the dragons shield at the same time (switch to claws long enough to pry one or two of them open) or if you run low on battery (try to stay as far away from the enemies as possible until you've recharged a few bars).

*The reason you want to dodge-cancel the second Rising early is that if you don't it'll put you so high up that your airdodge animation will end before you reach the ground. That means that there's a tiny window after your airdodge before you can dodge again, which leaves you vulnerable and will screw you over if you're going for a Platinum damage rank in this fight.

I'll give this a shot. Cheers for going beyond the call!

Do I even want to know what this fight is on 101%?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Well, it took me another week before I was even able to play the drat game again but after like a hundred tries I finally nailed that drat fight. I actually used Claws mostly, for the extra cheese factor of being able to freeze some of the assholes for a while, and Whip too, since it seemed to have a good effect on combo. Not sure what the Platinum combo threshold actually was but I got it anyway.

gently caress those things. I am for serious of the opinion that those dragon assholes are straight up badly designed in a way that enemies in Platinum Games generally aren't. They just have too much bullshit going on, and their transition from unshielded to shielded seems to be very poorly coded in that you can be in the middle of slowmo, hitting away with claws or something, and then suddenly BAM, it was shielded! No tell, no nothing, just instant you lose all your guys and now you can't dodge and you're going to take a hit from the spikes coming out, let alone any other nearby enemies.

Oh well.

More Counter questions: do you have to tilt the stick towards the enemy, like in Revengeance, or into the attack? I thought it was towards the enemy but there've been quite a few times where I felt it really should have worked were that the case and it didn't. As is the norm with Platinum Games, I have no idea if I'm just not good enough at it or if I'm just completely doing the wrong thing.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Vanrushal posted:

Idk, I have an easier time with the dragons than trying to wrap my head around the bullshit teleporting/invisible cat assholes. Can't block anything they do since they attack with claws and teeth so you have to dodge like a motherfucker which eats up unite gauge on top of having to spend 2-3 bars making a bomb big enough to slow them down for longer than 2 seconds. I legit do not understand how to fight those things and it's frustrating as poo poo.

Those guys are annoying, too, but unlike the god drat dragons, they are susceptible to Bomb Liner for an instant gently caress-you once you've decided you've got enough combo.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Section Z posted:

I loving hate the big turtle enemies, I know you can Guts block some of their attacks but the rules of the universe demanded any time that would be good to block was a time lava was about to explode under me or the second turtle (There's always more than one loving turtle) bites me.

Hammer is also like, the one shape I can not draw in a rush for some reason (despite being able to whip out unite bomb no problem, when it's THE SAME SHAPE BACKWARDS). The custom block that let me increase size by holding down the A button helped me a lot.

To top it all off, their Gethjerk file description hints that you can grab their hook looking tail or something. But I have not been able to locate anything on the internet about that, nor has going through all of my weapons resulted in any attacks doing jack poo poo to their tails or popping up a QTE prompt.

Know why I was asking about Hero Counter earlier? Because it loving wrecks the turtles.

That biting attack they have. You know the one. That one god drat attack that messes everyone up and you hope they never use. Here's the thing though. That attack is highly baitable and very, very punishable, because it is very easy to Hero Counter. The counter gets you a second of invulnerability and instantly forms the largest form of your leaders Unite Morph you can make with the people you have for free. Three good hits with a big hammer should get their armour down to the point where you can break it with a nice big fist and then murder them fast.

They love to use that attack. Just walk in front of their face, get ready to tilt towards it, and wait for nature to take its course.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Anyone got advice for the Vijounne fight in 004-A? It has the appearance of total bullshit. Her regular saw attack comes out instantly and doesn't seem to have any windup or tell. Also, are you allowed to get hit by her hearts if you're going for Pure Platinum? They don't do any damage but I don't trust the game to take that into account.

E: oh loving gently caress me. I PP'd the fight somehow (still would like advice though, I'm not actually sure what the strategy was supposed to be), and then I got a Gold on the next bit because I didn't think a "go forward" mission would have a loving combo requirement. It turns out that that mission saves as soon as you clear it. So there goes the point of 10 or so PP medals. gently caress you, game. gently caress you. Who the gently caress designed this poo poo?

EE: Oh for fucks sake, the next goddamn fight doesn't even have a checkpoint at all! And naturally right after it is an awkward gamepad perspective navigation mission. This game could have been so fun to replay if a few things that don't actually have anything to do with gameplay were rearranged to not be completely dumb...

Fedule fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 28, 2014

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I know it seems like all I ever do in this thread is complain about poo poo, which is unfortunate, because I love this drat game so much but its varying awesomenesses aren't really news to anyone here.

On that note...

What in the actual flying gently caress is supposed to be the strategy for 009-A, mission 2? It's pretty much the low point of the game for me. The first mission broke me down and made me finally burn a Continue in my Hard Mode run and if I don't find out some new trick that I'm missing (please tell me I'm missing a trick) I'm going to burn another just to get this god drat loving mission over with. Platinum Robo feels like she's made of paper. Half the time I get hit, I have no idea what hit me. Everything is bright white. Enemies attack from far offscreen. The camera is useless. The lock-on is useless. Trying to use it at all outside of a few specific bits causes me to get hit because gently caress if I can pay attention to trying to aim that drat cursor and moving Robo through bullet hell at the same time. Enemies show up from behind with no warning. And if I somehow muddle through to the end, the Ohrowchee just goes "lol fireballs" and I die because there doesn't seem to be any way to dodge the fireballs. Even with a laser and a barrage of fire I just cannot beat it before it gets three fireball spews off (which is what it takes to kill PR from full health on Hard (I have only got that far without taking damage once in like 20 tries)).

Guides are useless. If they even talk about the Ohrowchee at all, they just say "shoot it until it dies" without any mention of fireball spam.

Someone please tell me I am missing something big. Like, there's a way to get Robo to dodge or something. The loving Virgin Victory got a dodgeroll in 006, why can't Robo?!

When I'm done with this I might try and write an actual good GameFAQs guide or something. Lord knows the only one up there is steaming garbage.

E: Oh look he has an AoE melee too. Most of the stuff in this game I complain about is stuff that feels unfair because it maybe wasn't thought through quite as well as it could have been, but this thing seems like it was designed to make people feel like complete poo poo right in the middle of one of the game's greatest gently caress-yeah moments. Which is why I'm so sure I have to be missing something.

EE: OK so I managed to win, somehow, because Robo seemed to be phasing through fireballs. I don't even know what the deal with that is - is it, like, that bullshit bullet hell thing where bullets and your model have bizarre hitboxes? - but like with Vijounne I would appreciate advice on how you're supposed to deal with that mission's assorted bullshit.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 30, 2014

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I just got a bottle cap (and secret character) for activating the Super Unite Morph.

What the gently caress is a Super Unite Morph?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Xad posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a 100-man morph with a secret character's weapon, but it only counts for the ones that are modifications of normal weapons, not ones that are altogether new weapons.

Huh. Well, I got it while I was using Drill, so... I'm not sure what to make of that. But it wasn't the first time I used a 100-man drill.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Looks like I'm in for another interesting evening then.

More questions! How come I have all of the Finders Keepers (find all the Kahkoo-Regah in 000-00A) bottlecaps, but not You Can Hole Up, But You Can't Hide (find all the Kahkoo-Regah)?

Also, for stuff like this, how do different difficulty modes factor into bottlecaps of the form "get all..." or "get... ...in every mission"? I have a bunch of different stuff discovered in my Normal and Hard runs, and notably I got Silver Saviour on my Hard run after silvering every operation in Hard, so I'm wondering what would happen if I had, say, a bunch of stuff spread out among the different difficulties but at least one platinum for every level between them all. Would I get Platinum Paragon then? What about finding secret missions, or Kahkoo-Regah?

E: From GameFAQs:

quote:

To receieve the achievement "Operation Annihilation", you must complete every secret mission on Very Easy, Easy, Normal, Hard, 101% Hard and Operation 101

This person is full of poo poo, right?

...Right? :shepicide:

Fedule fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 1, 2014

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

yoshesque posted:

At least there's only 10 secret missions across the game, and I don't think this includes Kahkoo-Regahs.

I'm really tempted to write a better gamefaq which includes the Hammer spots but I'm still trying to find them all so :shrug:

Seriously, the state of GameFAQs re: this game is frankly shameful.

Fun fact: I beat the Epilogue Kahkoo-Regah. I am invincible.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Trying to get the Punch Out! bottlecap. I retract my previous statement, I am in fact vincible.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Only Operation 009 and Epilogue now stand between me and Platinum Paragon. :)

I have come to appreciate that the game itself seems to openly acknowledge how bullshit some of its requirements are; the main giveaway is that Platinum is the highest rank the game asks you to attain uniformly. This means that you're basically permitted one free gold in each mission as a baseline (read: Combo), and can go below that if you offset it by getting Pure Platinums later. Contrast Revengeance, whose ranking system was a whole lot more sensible and whose checkpoint system almost perfect, and as such was comfortable asking you to S-Rank the entire game (and on the hardest difficulty no less). I think I read somewhere that Hideki Kamiya was very surprised that anyone even bothered trying to get Pure Platinum on everything, let alone that some succeeded.

Trying to Platinum, rather than Pure Platinum, this game's operations brings things back around into that ever elusive region of "fun and challenging". The only remaining sore points are boss battles - which remain kinda infuriating by virtue of having no checkpoints (jesus christ I am still so mad about this). I thought trying to do the Epilogue Kahkoo-Regah fight against Giga-Goojin was bad; at least when you failed that you only had to sit through about twenty seconds of loading screens (which is still terrible but hey, small mercies). When you're trying to Platinum 008-C, you have to sit through the entire first two thirds of that sequence, complete with the potential for things to go wrong as you fight your way up the ship. It takes minutes just to get the chance to fight Giga-Goojin again. That sequence of fights wouldn't be very remarkable in a mission because you'd only have to beat it once before moving on. But as part of a boss battle, it's complete bullshit because you have to do it again and again and again and still need to maintain perfection just to make it worth your while to try the bit after. It falls into the oldest terrible-game-design trap there is; making the player bored and then punishing them for being inattentive.

It's a shame, because the Punch Out tribute bosses are really loving cool, and for the most part I'm going to associate them with so much negativity that strictly speaking doesn't even have anything to do with the fights themselves.

I loving love this game. :(

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay. Last and final barrier between me and Platinum Paragon is 009-C.

I have accepted that the escape sequence is a stream of bullshit that I'm just going to have to memorize. That's one thing.

But does anyone have advice for dealing with Jergingha-PDF? He always seems to be getting hits in in ways I don't expect, and Ukemi doesn't really work in space. And I can't practice because motherfucking boss checkpoints so I'm kinda reliant on you guys for stratagems and protips here. Hey, if I can perfect all three fights I can eat a continue on the escape!

E: If I'm going to keep asking for advice here I reckon the last I can do is share some tips I've found for the other two forms.

For the first form; the tentacles are annoying in that they distract you and potentially can damage you, and also cause you to burn Meter on getting big enough morphs to deal with them, except, here's the thing; you don't actually need to attack them yourself. Just go jump onto the little port they're poking out of (or use a Wonder Rising with the smallest available Morph), and watch as your 190 buddies proceed to atomize the motherfucker in two seconds flat. Don't even use climb attack, just walk under them or jump into them. One dead tentacle, zero meter burned, proceed to wreck the brain-case things with your 200-man fist, guilt free.

Second form: I'm pretty sure everyone already knows this, but just in case, he is vulnerable to the classic Bomb-Liner strategy. So you only need to stun him once (which you can do right at the start, with a timely 200-fist and a bit of luck) and he's dead straight away.

EE: Okay, what the actual loving gently caress. I just cleared all three fights without taking a scratch, but I still got a Bronze for damage. Are you seriously telling me that you have to do the escape section perfectly (or near perfectly) to get a Platinum? Are you loving making GBS threads me?! Why do you keep doing this, Platinum?!

EEE: Someone on GameFAQs is specifically claiming that he got his Platinum specifically by virtue of it not counting the damage in that section. I don't see why he'd lie about this, so what the poo poo is going on?! What do you want from me, Kamiya?!

Fedule fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 4, 2014

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Peewi posted:

I don't suppose there's some secret way to do the shmup sequence in 006-B faster? I'd like to improve my score on that level, but I'd prefer if it didn't take half an hour.

Yeah, that bit's a pain. Fortunately, getting a good score (ie, Platinum) is pretty easy once you know some things.

Unite Morphs are really important. There's the obvious stuff like Fist/Sword giving you fire/thunder immunity, but they're also generally better for attacking against stuff that won't hurt you for getting close. They do a nice chunk of damage and also give you combo multiplier, so your combo score will be pretty safe. You can also use them to break the rising pillars and those stone faces that create the whirlpools. Those things are annoying, and besides they give you points. Gun is also pretty handy because it lets you mash A in addition to X so you can shoot more bullets - the gun will shoot in whatever direction you last moved, so you can use it to attack to the sides or behind you if necessary. Use the sword to deal with Kaizor-Diejeahs since they like to do electric things, plus if they curve around you you can hit their entire bodies for big damage.

Weapon choice is also a thing. Pick either the gun or the laser, and only collect upgrades for that weapon. I recommend the gun because its upgrades let you scatter bullets in many directions (letting you shoot things without being in front of them) and is more spammable since it lacks the laser's recharge time.

Immorta and her Gah-Goojin are also very helpful. She'll shoot when you shoot, but if she's right next to an enemy she'll punch them instead and deal hella damage.

Always try and recruit the extra ship things. I'm not sure how helpful they actually are but it can't hurt, right? Similarly be on the lookout for shield powerups and missiles.

For my part: I finally got Platinum Paragon! I want to share two very important findings and ask a question about 009-C. The question is; what exactly is the cutoff point for the gold rank for Damage?

The findings:

1) I took two hits during the escape sequence and got 90 damage, which was a Gold. I took no damage during any of the actual fights. I don't know how the damage from the ship section factors into the overall count, which is part of why I'm so concerned about the cutoff.

2) It appears damage done to the Meizerr does not count. So feel free to shove it in a corner and not bother with twinstick bullshit; as long as it doesn't die everything is fine. Just make sure the Virgin Victory doesn't take damage.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The only ones that really bothered me were the ones in uh... 006-B I think it was? The underwater one that gets repeated later.

The camera is hot bullshit and I don't remember if I every went back to get good scores on them on the harder difficulties.

006-B isn't so bad once you get to know it; the real bullshit one is 009-A.

Plus all of the Virgin Victory "escape" sequences. Those are all bullshit, on their own merits as well as considering that they typically come after boss battles with no checkpoints.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

yoshesque posted:

009-A isn't that bad, I just can't tell when I get hit because the bullets kinda blend into everything else, and your bullets look pretty similar as well. Admittedly I still get hit in missions 1 and 2 but as long as you PP the last mission you can get Platinum.

I know, right? I want the person who did art direction for that place fired. The best part is how they put a Cough-Foon - a ship that fires a bright blue and white laser in a straight line - directly above the one spot on the floor that happens to be a continuous bright blue and white straight line. I got Gold, Platinum, Platinum (missed time limit by one second) and still got the Platinum. Turns out the game's pretty reasonable sometimes.

yoshesque posted:

I'm still trying to get my Platinum Paragon, on 009-C as well. I got too annoyed at it so I'm taking a break from it, gotta work through Easy next. I just can't believe there aren't mid-boss checkpoints, why change something that worked so well in their other games?

When you say "their other games". do you mean Platinum's or Kamiya's? I ask because I've never actually played one of Kamiya's other games (my only experience of Bayonetta is your LP (which is great btw)). Did Bayonetta have boss checkpoints? I know Revengeance did (Revengeance had its own dumb problem with boss checkpoints but at least it had them) but that wasn't a Kamiya game.

Anyway. For 009-C, one thing that helped me a bunch was this video, which came to me via HelloWinter via Chip Cheezum. Since you can't practice the section without dealing with two Jergingha forms, it really helps to have a visual reference (plus you get to see an actual way to actually dodge that loving goddamned Envan).

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

yoshesque posted:

Bayonetta's checkpointing is king in my book. The game will make a checkpoint a little before and after every(most?) fight, so if you screw up by getting hit, it's easy to restart. If you know you're not going to get the platinum requirement for combo you can still restart, as long as the results haven't been displayed yet. You can also manually create checkpoints by using either the Gates of Hell or Alfheims - enter and exit an Alfheim and it creates a checkpoint, making it easy to get a 'clean' results screen (as opposed to retrying in the Alfheim, which counts the damage you get until you complete and exit). For bosses there's checkpoints where you would naturally think they are (example: Fortitudo has checkpoints after you tear off each head), and the only one which is slighly poop is Julibeus, because her first checkpoint is after you finish the ice terrain mode.

Basically, if you know how Bayonetta's checkpoints work, it's really easy for anyone to get Pure Platinum, on all difficulties.

Honestly, for W101, the checkpointing is good as well except for boss fights. I really don't understand why they didn't (or maybe they couldn't?) have mid boss checkpoints.

Revengeance - if not for its one dumb failure - is actually even better than that, since it not only has generous pre and post-fight checkpoints but actually lets you retry while the results are onscreen in all but two instances (of which one is a one-fight chapter and one is the final boss). It's great because if you're not sure what your rank will be you can find out without committing to it. The only way it could be better is it they actually ever loving told you what the requirements were for certain fights.

(the failure in question is that if you die during a boss fight (such as from an instadeath QTE) it will reset your combo, zandatsu, kills and BP but not your time (?!) or your damage taken (?!!) and then updates the checkpoint with that information, essentially ruining your run permanently.)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So here's a weird question.

Are some Wonderful Ones just straight up not able to Hero Counter? (or do other certain moves?)

I ask because I was experimenting with a Megang just now and after killing one with Fist I switched to Hammer to focus on the other, at which point Hero Counter just... stopped working. I know I'm not perfect at it but I tried like a hundred times and it just would. not. work. I tried every drat direction (I thought I was just having trouble doing it in a specific direction) again and again but nothing. Then I switched to another Unite Morph and hey, whaddya know, it started working again.

Anyone know what the deal with this is?

E: This happened in 007-A and the one who couldn't counter was one of Chewgi's minions. That seems... like a really weird restriction if it's actually true.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 5, 2014

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Here's a weird one.

Anyone know how this happened?

That's mission 2 from 002-A missing up there. It's a mandatory mission (it's the one before the maglev) and I somehow did not get a rank for it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Hrm.

Alright, getting to the end of my endless question time.

Speaking as someone who has never actually played Punch Out!, how are you supposed to get Stars to power the KO Punch? I've just hit the Epilogue Kahkoo-Regah on 101% Hard, you see.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
From what I've been able to gather, the various ways you can do it are:

Diagonal punch/Eyebrow jiggle; counter with punch.
Straight punch/Eye blink; strafe away, punch like mad. I think you can also counter this with an uppercut?
Dial-a-combo; dodge the whole thing, punch like mad. You can get two stars from this.

I _think_ you can also get stars from his crouch/uppercut. Don't think there's any way to counter the sweep kick though.

Also, christ, how the hell does the guy in that video win in only one punch?! No one can mash that fast!

E: Holy gently caress I did it. My heart cannot keep up with the bloodflow to my mashing finger anymore but I did it!

Fedule fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 8, 2014

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay, so, I have all the Wonderful Figures (yes, including Bayonetta) and I don't have the Hero Collection bottlecap. What gives?

E: Disregard this, somehow I was missing one of the generic ones.

With this, all I have left to do is get one of every GEATHJERK weapon. I know I've gotten the crab claws before, but I think I'm missing the Gehdown cannon. Know a good spot to try and farm one?

Fedule fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 9, 2014

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Thanks, everyone.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Man, I'm trying to do the hard version of the 002-B Kahkoo Region, the one atop the billboard where you have a limited number of morphs. This is probably the least fun I've ever had with this game, and I loving love the game. :( All the spiked enemies are just a massive headache, and all the enemy weapons strewn about do more to hurt me than help, since I usually pick them up on accident when trying to run away - and since I'm trying to run away, it usually means I'm about to get my poo poo kicked in. Any tips in general for this one? I've been abusing dodge slowdown like a motherfucker but still can't pull it off - I can rarely even get passed the first two big guys.

Yeah, that one's one of the motherfuckers.

The basic strategy is - for the whole fight but especially once the Gehdowns show up (which you should put off as long as possible by trying to keep the Dough-Goos alive) - you should only ever attack while Hero Time is active. Not only because of the risk, but because you are very vulnerable during Pink's spike-armour-pulling-off animation. Seriously, in the time it takes to pull off a Gehdown's shield, it can load, charge and fire its main cannon and gently caress you up. Or one of the other Gehdowns or a Gedie Dough-Goo will attack from offscreen and hit you. So Always Be In Hero Time. Fortunately, it's quite easy to get Hero Time because dodging while near anything spiky will trigger it. Your loop should be; run like gently caress, get close to enemy, dodge, charge up a 50-man whip, pull spikes, repeat until unshielded. Then focus on killing the unshielded enemy to give yourself an easier time.

The weapons lying around can be useful if you use them right; they are by far the quickest way to dispose of an unarmoured enemy and of course they will give you tons of combo points. Just make sure to use the regular cannons and not the laser ones and again, only ever fire them while in Hero Time. As long as you have ten guys you can still dodge while holding GEATHJERK weapons so you can use that to either start your offensive or get a safe opening to try and drop the weapon. Also, as yoshesque said, Gun Stinger is great because it'll do decent damage (plus damage over time) and will eventually stun the enemy - but a barrage of cannon shots fired in Hero Time will kill it right quick. Take your pick. Also, once you remove the spikes from any enemy they'll be stunned, so you can make a 50-man whip and throw them for a big chunk of instant damage. You generally shouldn't do this because juggling is better for your combo, but you really, really don't want to be juggling in this mission.

If you're really getting hit lots you can try equipping Hero Sense for a bit of a safety net at the cost of meter. It's not preferable to rely on Hero Sense but it might save you a few hits, and those few hits might be the difference between defeat and victory.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

sulphix posted:

I split my completion of Bayonetta between my friend's PS3 and mine, so I only really got past Hard despite having done much much more on the other save at my friends. So glad I can catch up and get a new save (at full 60 FPS I hope) when Bayonetta 2 comes out on Wii U.

So far the one thing blocking me from grabbing everything in Wonderful 101 is the boxing Alfheim on Hard. 101% is much easier for me since there's so many fewer attacks he can do. But seriously, gently caress that challenge for having a huge load time every time you gotta retry it. Oh Wonderful Bayonetta, how I want you!

Giga-Goojin isn't that hard, really. Honestly, I'd've rather fought him instead of Wallgah-Goojin on 101% because he's got a lot more attacks that can give you stars without having to do counter-y things.

The only really difficult part about fighting Giga-Goojin is that he has a punch counter and a kick counter and it can be difficult to tell them apart sometimes. For the kick, he crouches down a bit lower and the camera zooms out a bit further, but that's as helpful as anyone can really be here.

Of his weird boss-summoning gimmick attacks, the one you want to deal with is the Kaizor Diejeah attack, because he's vulnerable for quite a while after that and you can guaranteed get a star. For some reason he's much less vulnerable after the Ohrowchee and Ohdarko attacks (In the Epilogue Kahkoo-Regah he'll always do Diejeah then Ohrowchee then Ohdarko and repeat in that order). If he does his dial-a-combo attack and it has less than six hits, you can guard the first three and jump the kick. If you dodge the entire thing though, he gets dizzy for ages and you can get two stars. Also he has a wind-up drill punch that he uses very rarely that will make him dizzy; you can get a star off that too.

I don't know if you can strafe away from his jabs and punch him quickly like you can with Wallgah-Goojin but if so that's another easy way to get a star.

It's probably less nerve-wracking generally to try and get stars from all this stuff than it is to try and whittle him down with punches and lasers because it reduces the number of times you'll have to deal with his counter punch/kick, which is the most likely thing to kill you in these fights.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Peewi posted:

He starts dodging or guarding after a few attacks every time. At least in the hard Kahkoo-regah.

I don't really understand when is a good time to use the laser or super punch. I thought that simply punching him once after dodging would stun him long enough to use them, but I've found out the hard way that that is not the case. I guess the safest time is when you would be able to punch him a lot any way.

I just spent a long rear end time trying and failing the epilogue kahkoo-regah on hard and it gets really annoying. Even got him down to the final life bar a couple of times, only to gently caress it up.

When he does the kick you jump over it, but how do you avoid the punch with the similar wind-up? I really have no idea.

The spin-punch-thing can be avoided via dodge roll. (the important thing is, you have to tell the difference between the two and see which is coming)

BTW, I'm talking about a very specific counter here; he does a horizontal punch, you strafe away from it, and then punch him a lot - if you do it right you'll get to punch at about twice the normal speed and he'll cough up a star. IIRC you should also be able to instantly get a star by countering his diagonal punch with an uppercut from the same side.

Giga-Goojin recovers quite quickly when you simply dodge his punches; you'll get a bit more time if you can dodge his eyebeams, or one of his flashy specials, or his dial-a-combo, or his drill punch. (But don't try it after his Gah-Goojin throwing sequence, he recovers instantly from that). If his eyes are blinking rapidly you should be good.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Doc V posted:

"Do you want to take a rank penalty or sit through two loading screens?"

The file "PlatinumGames.txt" already exists. Overwrite?

Fedule fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh, also,

Lurdiak posted:

I really wish there was a way to reload from checkpoints so I could get the "Punch-out!" bottle cap without redoing the entire stage leading up to the fight.

There is a way to reload from checkpoints but boss fights don't have checkpoints.

• Locked thread