Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This is gonna be my first Platinum game (aside from Okami if that counts). From what I know about the others' difficulty, I'm a bit intimidated. I don't think I'll be getting Pure Platinums any time soon.

But hey at least I've got a month to practice if I want. The demo was really awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

2. Buy and play every single other one. Clover and platinum. I will vouch for the quality of all of them (except endless space, its not really "Platinum")

I don't have the systems the others are on, so I've been living vicariously through the Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising LPs. I'll get Bayonetta 2 when it comes out though, so long as my W-101 experience isn't a disaster.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

If that "third-person" comment was originally in the review, it isn't anymore, which means they went back and edited it out. If that's true, good job Blistered Thumbs staff for protecting yourselves from that embarassment! :allears:

Yeah it was in the "WTF!?" section which now simply says: "WTF?! This game would have worked with a normal controller."

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well I've beat 001 and while I'm real bad at the game, and don't really know how to start getting better it's still a ton of fun for the most part.

There are a few really clunky things though. For one Unite Build seems to be really finicky. There's a point in the boss battle near the end of 001 where you have to unite build using all 100 of your guys and the last guy just wouldn't go in there to complete it. Maybe I was doing something wrong but it seems like they should've made that more automatic.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What's the deal with Unite Rocket? I bought it after Operation 001 because it seemed like it would come in handy to reach things that were high up. But now I can't figure out how to activate it. It looks like I'm supposed to hold down the B button to charge it up but when I do nothing's happening. And yes I do have it turned on. What am I missing?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

006B, IIRC. You need to open up a cave by melting some ice with your fire/hand combo.

Also, to use unite rocket you have to mash b and it will launch when you stop.

Oh it's mash B. Thank you. That little graphic with a downwards facing arrow was not clear at all.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Vorkken fights are the only part of this game I'm not enjoying. I'm bad at everything in the game but with practice I'm slowly getting better, and for the most parts it's not frustrating. The Vorkken fights just take so long and I'm constantly getting whacked around and can't figure out good ways to hurt him or counter his attacks.

And there's so many of them so I'm really sick of them. There's another one coming up in the next mission in 006 (since he just warned me about it at the end of the previous one) and I'm not looking forward to it at all.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SombereroLad posted:

The big things that helped me with Vorkken before I got Hero Time were thus:

-You can only Unite Guts counter when he's using Hand or Hammer. Every other move will break Guts, and I find that if you stick close to him he generally uses those two more often.

-Whenever he uses Guts in the third and fourth encounters, he will attack with a very wide area effecting move once it breaks. In the fourth encounter it's always a giant Unite Sword cyclone, I think.

-The time requirements for his fights are very generous, so don't freak out if it feels like you're taking a long time.

-Energy converter is a ridiculous amount of free life when fighting Vorkken, even if you aren't hitting him proper. Whacking his goons will keep your combo going and charge your battery.

Otherwise, he's THE BOSS in 006 so it'll be the last time you fight him. Keep a close eye on which Unite he's using, dodge if it isn't Hand or Hammer, and make some use of Unite Bomb support when you manage to counter him.

Edit: Chewgi likes to hop in and assist but I have no idea what the tell for that is. Thankfully he doesn't deal much damage.

Thanks a bunch for this advice. I just did the fight and it was much less frustrating than the previous ones. I even got a gold statue for the operation!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SombereroLad posted:

You're welcome! The rest of the game gets even more amazing, just gotta muscle through the tough stuff.

I just finished operation 008 and oh my god :swoon: This game just keeps getting more and more awesome.

Operation 007 has my favorite quicktime event so far: Mash A to squash a bug!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just beat the game.

Holy poo poo I'm in awe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Going through the gallery now that I've beaten the game, and I am unreasonably annoyed that Wonder Sailor's description inaccurately describes him as the oldest Wonderful One. Both Wonder Professor and Wonder Clockwork are older than him.

But seriously all these descriptions are great. They put so much care into designing these little guys who you mostly don't see much of during the game.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 29, 2013

• Locked thread