Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Played the demo at a friend's place. It is Platinum's destiny to save Video Games.

I am seriously holding out on buying a Wii U for as long as possible but this is making it hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WeaponBoy posted:

I think a lot of it comes down to 'wanna'. The Zeboyd article is very on point about how game reviewers are routinely moving through a game quickly trying to sample a little bit of everything. Once you're past that point you've got to wanna. I can basically guarantee you that no reviewer will ever mention stuff like dodge offset despite it being a nearly de facto element of combat in Platinum games.

There's an ideal space for people in the reviewer mindset. It's somewhere between Skyward Sword (hey you reset the game, let me tell you about butterflies) and DMC/MGR/W101 (Exceed, crazy combos, dodge offset, etc.) and I don't think games from the latter category will ever be able to reach that point without losing what makes them unique.

Yeah, I'm starting to think you just can't make everyone happy.

Make the game too simple/easy and you lose people like us who obsess over Youtube tutorials and near-hour-long mechanics explanations and are impressed by the deep complexity of the game and how it rewards practice and learning the systems. I know I value a game that feels different to me after I've played it a bunch and really figured it out.

As is, the games may be a hassle for someone who just wants to come in and be entertained for a while (not that that's a bad thing, "casuals" :airquote:, etc.) since the game is not really set up to be completely open to a brand new player.

There's always Easy Mode (and Platinum games are without a doubt entertaining spectacles regardless of what your preference for gameplay is), but it seems like loving everyone ignores that it exists. Perhaps if they named Easy Mode as "Normal" and added a difficulty or two on top of Very Hard/Supahard Gimmick Mode it would make the reviews better...

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

People don't want to play Easy mode. It's unfortunately that simple.

Video games are power fantasy and few people want to feel like the crappy weak guy who needs his hand held. Even if the game would be more fun for them, even if it was designed for them, they still don't want to play it that way.

It is why you've gotten towards the trend of developers renaming Easy as "Normal" and bumping Normal up to Hard, or giving the modes names like "Veteran" and "Champion" which sound better than "Easy/Normal."

I feel like this is literally all they would need to do to stop the whiny reviewers. Instantly change from "I can't comprehend this game/the amount of time I am required to invest in this game for me to enjoy it is too great" to "Hey this certainly is an enjoyable spectacle. And wow those "upper difficulties" sure are crazy and there's no doubt some people will enjoy them!"

Just patch the game, Platinum. Wish it wasn't too late for that... Still waiting for a Platinum game to get the widespread approval it deserves.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I feel like Metal Gear Rising already kind of did that. Normal mode was pretty easy, and hard mode had a good level of difficulty for action game fans.

Most of the game, yeah. But if you aren't used to action games there were definitely some things that would be roadblocks even on Normal, I think. Just shift the difficulties (normal->hard, hard->very hard, etc.), "add" a few harder difficulties, and put in an insultingly easy mode so people who play on normal think they're playing "the real game".

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Christ, I think I need to buy a Wii U for this, based on all the gameplay/mechanics videos I've watched.

OK, let's rationalize this... the Wind Waker HD bundle just came out, aaaaand I'll be buying a Wii U anyway when Bayonetta 2 comes out. And Pikmin 3. That's all I've got... drat you Nintendo, you snag one good game on your console...

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Caved and bought the Wind Waker edition Wii U over the weekend- this game should be in my mailbox when I get home. Don't you let me down Platinum, this better be the Viewtiful Sentai Hyperforce action game it looks like :argh:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Revengeance is my favorite game of the year but I'm not a big fan of Bayonetta. Mostly because I'm terrible at it. You guys think I'd like this game?

Man this game is fun but it takes a while to get used to it. I love games where learning how to play them is kinda at their core, so YMMV. Revengeance was definitely easier to jump into. (But I kinda also think it was a more awesome game... I don't know what I'm saying.)

Wonderful 101 is... weird. But in a good way. Play the demo.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Finally got around to playing the game all the way through- I keep getting pathetic scores, but I don't feel like I'm really floundering any more.

People have said it before, but in addition to the obvious positive qualities the game actually also has pretty drat good writing- did Platinum write this in English first or something or is it just a masterful localization job? I seem to remember English being the "first" language in some of their other games.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Looking at the VA cast it becomes apparent that the talent they pulled in was a big part of how good the writing seems.

I wonder what Platinum's budget for this one was- I know it was a bit of a rush job (reminds me of Revengeance). Suppose Nintendo gave 'em some decent money to put this together.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I really wish Platinum would stop putting weird shooter segments in their games. They're never all that fun for me, especially compared to the core gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I really wish there was a way to reload from checkpoints so I could get the "Punch-out!" bottle cap without redoing the entire stage leading up to the fight.

I think there's a hidden challenge stage somewhere where it's just the Punch-Out fight so you can try it over and over again as many times as you want. Don't remember if it actually counts for the challenge or not, may be misremembering.

• Locked thread