Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
After having played through a couple of times and watched Chip's run of the demo (you're awesome) this game is a definite day 1 purchase. Usually I'm not into the whole sentai/superheroes thing but this is tongue-in-cheek enough and also has that platinum flair, and the artstyle is pretty alright too. The levels look absolutely fantastic too, they remind me strongly of earthbound in their cartooniness but also have immense detail and tons of nooks and crannies to look in.

The Pudding is also super satisfying when used right, love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

Dunban posted:

Has anyone beat 001-C already? I'm stuck and can't figure out what to do.

One of the heads is down and I can use Unite Build to do..something with it, but it doesn't really seem to work.

This hit me too and seems to be a fairly consistent thing, it's very finicky about getting all your dudes in and doesn't say how much you actually need annoyingly. Oh well, once you figure out its gimmicks the boss isn't too bad and is otherwise pretty badass.

Having a lot of trouble with taking in everything on the screen, though maybe that just me sitting too close to the TV as it's currently 2 metres closer than it should be because home renovation stuff. Also, loving how overly shiny everyone is!

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
Anyone able to explain how to use Unite Camp? I can't tell what the button prompt for it is beyond it involves Y, and I can't work out how much energy it needs either (the description is also pretty awkward too).

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

Super Slash posted:

Holy poo poo, I love this game and all but how the hell did the "Vorkken's Insides" level get past playtesting? Constant ridiculously hard jumps which you can barely reach, defending against unlimited waves of those drat drills while jumping between platforms (which WILL always hit you and gently caress you around), constantly falling off between jumps since it's too hard to see your leader with your group and the camera perspective.

And it just keeps going ooooooonnnnnnn and oooooonnnnnnnn split up with fighting segments of the slowest and most annoying to deal with pairs of enemies (Maybe I'm just tired, but two of those spiked hoedowns gave me way too much trouble for being this far in the game).

Lastly on a certain boss battle: How are you actually supposed to properly fight Vorkken anyway? I can guts block his fist and hammer attack, and know to spring away after he uses Guts to dodge the sword attack. But everything else is too quick to spring away from and guts won't block because they're all sharp attacks. I'm too much of a scrub to use Ukemi, and I don't quite have Hero Sense yet.

I just did both the bits you mentioned in my most recent session, so I feel your pain. The drills can be dealt with using Unify Naginata as it deflects them and if you do a giant one midair you can just spam it to advance and take them all out in one go as they actually are just looping around.

Regarding Vorkken, I found that having Hero Counter (basically Parry Counter from Metal Gear Rising) helped hugely, to the point I got gold for damage on the second part of the fight because I'd go in with sword/fist/hammer and just spam on the stick towards him. He'd hit occasionally with his stuff, but all the stuff he uses at close range is either reflectable with guts (fist, hammer, small tombstone) or can be parried (sword, whip, his own little swipe attacks) so if I just went nuts on him and kept some energy spare for a sudden guts usage I'd end up parrying most of his stuff and not succumbing to the bullshit upward sword swing he sometimes does. I think you can dodge gun with spring but I haven't tried it, and if you use gun against him from range he will instantly return fire with his own annoyingly so it's not worth the hassle.

End of the chapter was cool though, perhaps one of the weakest boss fights so far but also one of the best finishers.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

Ignimbrite posted:

A really big hammer will crack their shells in 3 or 4 hits (assuming you dn't get caught in the air by their goddamn eruption attacks. Just make sure to turn off attack liner when you're fighting them otherwise you probably won't have enough room to make a big enough hammer.

(Spoilered for the people who like to experiment and find these things on their own) If you stun them by reflecting their small single foot stomp, you can immediately hit them with wonder rising while they're teetering to get them on their backs. Then, they're much more vulnerable to hammer attacks for a short time and also aren't spamming their volcanic attack on you.

Currently been going through and finding all the Kahkoo-regahs, a huge amount of them are devilishly placed and they all have special trigger conditions. The one in the first level they show you outright has nothing on some of them, like the one in the prologue which is only accessible when you have Unite Hammer, you have to hammer the damaged hatch on car 3 of the bus. Even once you've found them, actually beating them can be an ordeal in of itself (there's one in the epilogue in the same place as the prologue one, and it's a loving no damage run of the first punch-out style boss, urgh.).

Well played, Platinum :shepface:

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wow I hate the boss of operation 2

I keep trying but he always destroys the tower. I have no idea how to keep him from spamming his missile fire or any of the attacks that seem to be unstoppable (him slam dunking buildings etc). Combined with the fact that once again the unite QTE's would not work I'm pissed off.

Like I'm sure I'll look silly if I ever figure it out but those should NOT have been in the game. I have gun out. "I'll wait for a QTE to pop up" *slam* "Oh whip? I'll wait for a QTE to pop up I have it out" *hit* "Okay whip again this time I'll try to hit the button before he connects" *hit*

It just isn't working.

The only attack of his that is completely unblockable is where he puts his finger to his temple and fires a parallel jet of drills, the rest are all reflectable or able to be mitigated. All his fist and hand smashes can be Guts'd, the giant piece of debris he waits a moment to throw can be shot in his hands with gun, the bombs can be thrown or shot back at him with gun's absorb function, etc. I think the drills MIGHT be reflectable with a certain secret character's unite morph but I only just unlocked him so I'll check next time I play.

Echoing on the buying stuff with cards; it is absolutely worth it to save your space vegetables for only making the cards as if you look around the levels a bit you can easily get enough consumable health items to last you however long. You can buy them cheaply in the shop between missions if you're absolutely gagging for them while you're learning the basics, but bottom line is it's just not worth it at all to get anything BUT cards.

You also get handed a decent amount of the screen nuke items if you ever want to use them, but I personally never have because they reduce your score. Use your cards to get anything over 400k, and try to get Spring, Guts, Speed Liner, Unite Charge, Speed Charge up and running fast. ImpAtom already mentioned the best custom blocks aside from those ones, though it's worth mentioning some of them have really wonky mechanics and interactions with others (Hero Counter makes you almost unable to pick up bombs with gun unless you run really slow into them, as you autocounter and blow them up, Hero Sense will trigger when you reflect stuff with Guts and possibly even gently caress up your timing and gauge usage hard).

tl;dr: Very, very rare to have a boss with lots of unblockable attacks, that one only has one. Only use vegetables on cards, buy the most expensive (but useful) stuff with them.

EDIT: \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

This is also a decent strategy, but it does one run risk; if you extend the wonder-liner into an enemy or surface that actively repels all attacks except a specific kind of attack (i.e. Turtles and Hammer) it'll kill your combo and also knock a ton of your guys out suddenly. Good thing we can turn these things off!

The Wicked Wall fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 16, 2013

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

Chip Cheezum posted:

I beat this game yesterday and I think at a glance I like this game more than Bayonetta. Even if the gameplay were exactly the same as Bayonetta's I think I would like this game more just because the style, setting, and characters are a lot more appealing to me than Bayonetta's. Also when the game suddenly changes into a shooter or other genre it's generally fun and doesn't feel like it drags on forever like when it happens in Bayonetta.

The fact that there's also a fairly decent amount of post-game content to go through (i.e. after your first run) with regards to bottlecaps and secret characters helps deal with the issue that some of the other Platinum games have where the only real appeal after having beat it once is to either improve your scores (not for everyone) or working towards the achievements (which usually have little to no gameplay as a reward).

Sure, there'll be enemy spawn mixups on different difficulty levels but otherwise nothing concrete as a reward, which 101 thankfully has and makes the game feel even better to play (though, I personally would still have played it as much as I have now, having unlocked 6 characters, without them).

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

:stare: So I just discovered my first hidden skill Picture Picture 2

Anyone know any others?

Haven't got it yet, but in the same vein Wonder Green can get Unite Cannon as a followup to Launcher. You can see its model in the pre-mash cutscenes of the final boss fights too!

There's also Unite Big which when used makes everyone morph into a giant version of the Wonderful One you're controlling, but I'm not sure how to get it or use it (I assume it's something like max level every Wonderful One?).

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

Astro Nut posted:

...So I was talking to a friend about the game. He hasn't completed it yet (and I imagine many others haven't, so this might be tricky to discuss), but he mused on what may or may not come up in the game at some point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOH68OsvOEI

I have refused to spoil anything for him, but for those who've reached the 009 missions, how well on would you say he unintentionally is?

Someone already mentioned it here without tags but yeah, there's space harrier style stuff. I actually found it fairly troublesome because the bullets are sort of hard to see on the background (in the context it's pretty understandable) but they're by no means particularly difficult if you just keep moving around and around constantly.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
I like to mix it up a bit and try to not spam the same ones unless it's on a specific enemy type or two (like the crabs I'll spam swords on the legs), as mixing it up often boosts the combo multiplier nicely. If I have a max bar and time to go ham on something I'll whip out the fist, and then do bomb, sword and claws in some order, then either follow up with more fists or claws and then bomb again. Gun can be situationally very good up close, it does crazy damage to bigger targets with the Cyclone attack, and Whip can also be nice for keeping combos on things you need to move away from temporarily.

EDIT: Aside from sword having good reach and damage, the one big disadvantage I can think of that it has in combat is recruiting enemies becomes a lot more difficult. Killing little guys with the fists or most other morphs will make them do the purple glow and allow recruiting for a few seconds, but 90% of the time with the sword it'll just slice them in two and that'll be it.

The Wicked Wall fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
Just got an Elgato HD so I did a quick test recording of Wonderful 101, it has some of the unlockable stuff shown if you're curious. Namely, Chewgi + Unify Naginata, Wonder Daddy + Flaming Claws and Unite Big.

• Locked thread