Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
It's been a while since I've played but I seem to remember Unite Charge slowing them down quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Safety Scissors posted:

I've noticed I take to long to kill the giant spiky robots. The problem is the only way I've been able to find of dealing with them is let them attack, then stagger, then pull. I can never get 2 staggers in a row though. I always have to wait for them to attack again before I can stagger them again. Is there a faster way of killing them?

Whip them while they're charging up their spin attacks, it staggers them after like two hits.

EDIT: Huh, somehow missed the entire second half of the above post.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think dodge offset is a thing in this game? There aren't really combo attacks like there are in Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising.

Each Unite Morph only has 3 special moves, stinger, rising, and whirlwind. Stinger I think you quickly pull the control stick away from the enemy and then back towards them and hit attack and you'll zoom over to the enemy to hit them. Rising you just attack right after you jump and you'll do an uppercut. Whirlwind you twirl the stick around and hit the attack button and it'll do a spinning attack around you. Each of these moves needs to be unlocked by leveling your characters individually before you can use it. Some of the unite morphs have different variations on these attacks, but the inputs will all be the same.

The other big thing to learn is multimorphs, you draw a unite morph and hit X instead of attack and you'll use some of your extra dudes to do an attack with that unite morph without switching your currently equipped morph. This is very useful for racking up damage and combo and knowing it will save you a lot of trouble later in the game. I think there is a limit of 4 multimorphs being out at once.

And pretty much any move can be cancelled out of with dodge or block, the trick is to learn which enemy attacks you use dodge and which you block. Generally speaking, cutting or stabbing you'll need to dodge, and stomping punching and ramming you'll need to block.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
If you haven't already, buy Unite-Guts and buy Unite-Spring, these are your block and dodge moves, they are essential tools.

Keep a good watch on enemies and learn to recognize the lead-ups to their moves. Any solid attack, like punch, ram, crush, etc, those should be blocked. Any slicing or piercing attacks should be dodged.

Try to get used to using your right-stick to draw the shapes, if you've played fighting games then you can think of them like fighting game inputs. Once you get used to this, it's much quicker than drawing on the pad.

Don't be afraid to use the Team Attack, (X button), whenever you do this, it leaves a few of your heroes climbing and smacking your enemy like Pikmin, this can stun enemies if you pile enough heroes on them. The gun is great, because it's like a long-range Team Attack, especially when you unlock the stinger move.

Different weapons have their own uses, the fist is great for racking up damage on single-opponents, while the sword is great for clearing out large groups of enemies. Some weapons have special attributes, like the fist can absorb fire attacks, the sword can redirect lasers.

When you have a shape-drawn, if you press X instead of A to activate it, you will initiate a multi-morph, this summons the weapon you've drawn to do a single attack alongside whichever weapon you currently have equipped. Please get used to doing this as it will be useful later on when you're facing more enemies at a time.

I don't think there's any dedicated training room, but you should be fine just replaying Operation 1A until you feel like you have a good grip on it. This may seem like a lot of information to consume at one time, but keep at it and everything should fall into place neatly. Getting a lot of consolation prizes on your first playthrough is perfectly fine and to be expected, don't let it discourage you. Also don't feel bad about knocking it down to easy. Platinum's easy is like everyone else's Normal.

• Locked thread