Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Anyone been able to platinum the mission mode? Best ive done is gold but it seems you really need a high combo score to hit platinum, possibly using the whip and hammer morphs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

The combat in this can go quite deep. Even in the demo, i've been messing around with attempting to do massive chains of combos using all the morphs and launches for nice combo scores. The latest blog shows some of the depth with custom blocks that add effects to skills and new morphs like tombstone and show how counter attacks work. That aside, its still a fun game without getting into the crazy detail of the combat. Mashing X to stagger and then spamming A with unite hand will get you through the demo easily.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

Testekill posted:

Always going to get that one guy.

Its babies first videogame holyshit that review

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

One of the legitimate complaints ive read from some reviews is that the dodge skills(unite guts/spring) aren't available off the bat, and bought through the wondermart. Anyway after completing the prologue you have more than enough credits to buy both those skills before starting level 1 making the point rather moot. I really dislike game reviews.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

JackDarko posted:

Can someone clarify the validity of the Sales figures? I was reading that the chart went up two days after W101 was released, so it's only two days worth of sales. There were also claims that Nintendo didn't ship that many copies to begin with.

The sales figures are legit but like you said, sales figures are for the week and the game didnt come out at the start of the week. Either way they don't factor in the Euro sales and the game isn't out everywhere yet. I do think the game will flop sales wise initially just due to it being a new IP on a console that hasn't taken off. But it should sell well over the consoles life since its something that is unique and quite good.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

Jut posted:

Blah, I bought this today and after dying on 001, just said 'gently caress this' and turned it off.
The controls are unintuitive and poo poo. Plain and simple.
The first thing was during the tutorial part when I was asked to draw a circle with R. I rotated the stick then mashed A. 'BARP! Try again', I tried again and again and again before realising no, I don't rotate the pad but draw a large slow circle, which sometimes works or sometimes doesn't.

Second issue is the whole drawing thing. I have two choices
1) Take my hand off the face buttons, use the R stick, draw, then move back to the face buttons
or
2) Take my hand off the face buttons, look away from the TV, look down at the screen and draw, press face button and look back at the TV.

The converting of citizens seems to be fairly glitchy or unintuitive, sometimes they will join me, other times they won't even though I draw a line straight through them. There was a bit on the bus train where I didn't seem to have enough dudes to make the chain to cross the gap, and ahhh gently caress it, I guess this will be a cult classic or some poo poo, but there just seem to be glaring design issues that I can't be hosed fighting though. Controls should be natural, not something you have to fight with in order to play (why can't I remap the 'finish drawing' button to a trigger???

That's unfortunate to hear. Figuring out the controls for quick easy drawings is the hardest part of this game I think. Once you can whip out any weapon drawing quickly, then you can really appreciate the game.

You need to approach the weapon drawing like you would say executing a uppercut or fireball in street fighter. Practice until it becomes second nature. Also stick to drawing with the right stick. When converting citizens, your drawing should encompass the citizen, and your drawn line will turn rainbow colored when its working.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

Jut posted:

Moving from buttons to screen then back to buttons AND averting my gaze is even worse...
It could be fixed by letting you remap the 'finish drawing button' to R trigger, but only facebuttons can be remapped.
Just had a look at some reviews and even some of the good reviews are pointing out control issues. Looks like plat needed a little more playtesting and polish.
Is the drawing to select weapons even necessary for the gameplay? would a button press have done the trick instead?

Well the 'finish drawing button' has 2 uses: 1) to switch to that weapon 2) bring out a multi morph (default X). So 2 buttons are needed and more importantly you want to be able to draw a weapon, then do a special attack such as an uppercut (B -> A). If the issues your still having are just getting out a proper weapon drawing in time or successfully then the issue is your input. Practice with the right stick until you can draw all the shapes 100% successfully. Hate to tell you this but if your not going to bother to get the drawings down than you will hate the game and it was a waste of money. It isn't something everyone will pickup on in a short time and thus have a frustrating time and write halfassed reviews. That just how Platinum Games rolls.

Getting out a weapon in a timely matter is important because it is the core foundation of this game. The links to Saur's youtubes talk about this. Like I said earlier pressing B -> A will launch an enemy into the air where you can juggle them with various combos and lots of damage.

Practice this: spam X on a monster till stunned/stagged -> draw sword -> B -> A(this will launch monster) -> draw fist -> X -> draw sword - > X -> spam A for damage.

May look complicated but it really isn't, every drawing slows time to a crawl, and B -> A is easy enough. Result should be you doing damage with a sword and 2 multi morphs helping out, all in the air doing a massive juggle combo. I only have the demo but I can pull this off no problem now. Can't wait for the game.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bya_kIINBfQ

New combo strats video, really shows how deep the combat is.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

Video game reviews are so irrelevant. Sucks that numbers on a site like metacritic can influence the sales of a game more than word of mouth.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

Jut posted:

I think the game is a colossal piece of poo poo, but that shouldn't affect your enjoyment of the game. God knows why people are so angry that some reviewers hate the game.

As a customer you can hate anything you buy for sure, but reviewers should attempt to be at least somewhat objective with a review. I swear some reviews just poo poo on the game for page hits.

quote:

An inability to fit into an established genre, mixed with a lack of care for teaching the player how to interact with the game’s often inscrutable mechanics,

quote:

but is likely to become a cult classic.

Both in the same sentence.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

I feel like im missing something with the mission mode. Easy-a for example i can't do better than gold. The first part of easy-a my best is around 1min 9 seconds and 30k combo score but that's only a gold. Using everything i can, not taking any damage but still only manage gold. Record is 3:39 and 41k combo for easy-A.

Joink fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 18, 2013

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

Woot finished the game. Been a while since a video game made me sweat. Now im working on pure platinum normal for every operation and completed operation 1 plus prologue today. Once you get Hero time and Hero sense, platinums aren't nearly as hard to come by.

Tried mission mode but I don't like how you need x number of o-parts to get a pure platinum rank.

Found the final boss music on youtubes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAA7Lh5YwuQ
Probably the best videogame boss music ever.

Joink fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 23, 2013

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

BioTech posted:

I defeated him eventually, by just using Noodle Soups the whole fight.

Have to be honest, I was blown away by this game at first but all those little annoyances are starting to add up. For sure the Vorkken fight was me sucking at the game, but the shmup level was absolutely terrible, I still can't get over how ever turtle fight is just using hammer and blocking until you get the Hammer Rising and now 007A has godawful platforming with a very long beginning where you can only use 10 Wonderful ones, meaning gun is useless, one hit takes away your power and you often can't even block.

It really is a waste of a wonderful game.

Use the 360 spin hammer attack on the turtles, hammer doesn't need to hit the top of the back. 007A has enemies that can be recruited at the start, get enough and you can do larger weapon summons, making the level easier.

Bobnumerotres posted:

My only complaint so far (after beating mission 02) is that it feels like the guys who designed the cam and the guys who designed the game worked in two different offices and never actually met.

The game never does summon in enemies off camera in story mode so any off screen attack should be manageable. Once I got unite bomb, keeping track of enemy positions was easy.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

Helps if you learn to press right stick, let go to put it back into its neutral position and do another shape. trying to do claw for example in 1 fluid motion is just a mess. Best way ive found to whip out a large size hammer quick is draw a long straight line then a quick 1/2 circle. A small hammer, I do a short line then quick 1/2 circle. Only issues I have when drawing are shapes that hit a target due to attack liner or the liner is drawn over an area that ends up hiding the liner for whatever reason so i end up redrawing in another direction.

I think a newbie mistake is trying to draw to much. ie I started out playing by attacking, drawing something else, attack draw again, attack, add multi morphs etc. Now that ive played the game a lot and mastered the controls, I hold L while drawing for everything expect fist, I use all the weapon rising attacks, juggle with claws and bullets, throw bombs on lifted targets followed by tombstone + rocket attacks and feel like a badass. :smug:

GonSmithe posted:

I almost never can draw the bomb unless I use the touchpad. I don't understand why, but I always get a fist.

What I do is draw 90% of a circle, let go of right stick then draw a straight line. Longer the straight line, bigger the bomb. ex. start at 12 o'clock or up, draw a circle clockwise around to 11 o'clock, let go of right stick. Then draw a straight line going in a 10 o'clock direction. make sense?

Joink fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I really don't like Ukemi much in W101 to be honest. If I get hit I've already screwed up basically.

You get the life back, and your pure platinum isn't ruined.

• Locked thread