Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

President Ark posted:

"Must be Bob's tourette's acting up again. Oh, that wacky Bob. :haw:"

It is funny how unrealistic some of the mechanics work out, not that I'm complaining, it works great for the game and makes sense where it should.

But still, wandering around the Big Bank with my mask on, going down the cubicles, and nobody notices? Hah. I mean I can imagine that I've actually got my gun tucked into my jacket, but the mask is a pretty big giveaway.

"Was that guy wearing a Skull Mask? Oh, that wacky Bob. Better get back to work on these TPS reports, or Lundbergh will have my head."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

404notfound posted:

Saw a pile of wooden planks next to my apartment building today as I was getting ready to leave for work, and I thought man, I should grab those

It may be time to take a break lest you cold cock the next cop you see.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Coolguye posted:

Incidentally, it's important to note that shouting at civilians to get down is 'silent' in that it will not alert another nearby civvie on the noise. Alerts can spread based on people seeing others cowering, but if you yell at someone to get the gently caress down and there's someone else 5 feet away in another cubicle without line of sight, they will not alert.

This was especially hilarious on Trustee bank the other day. We were well into drilling the vault, having already taken care of the guards, tellers, camera room, civilians, etc. Except there was one lone civilian we'd ignored, sitting at his desk on the far side of the cubicles, oblivious to the fact that there was a bank robbery happening all around him. He finally alerted when somebody walked over there to look for packages.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Lester Shy posted:

This was especially hilarious on Trustee bank the other day. We were well into drilling the vault, having already taken care of the guards, tellers, camera room, civilians, etc. Except there was one lone civilian we'd ignored, sitting at his desk on the far side of the cubicles, oblivious to the fact that there was a bank robbery happening all around him. He finally alerted when somebody walked over there to look for packages.

That guy is the laziest bastard. Me and a friend stealthed the bank the other day and he never once moved, just sat there with his feet up, probably watching the squirrels outside. They're just not paying him enough to give a gently caress. Maybe next time I should huck a bag over the dividing wall into his lap to wake him up.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
Can someone explain to me what the two cellphone symbols mean? When poo poo gets loud I notice that sometimes an exclamation point will become a cellphone, and sometimes the cellphone will have little electricity lines coming out of it but sometimes it won't and it will just be the cellphone symbol. What's the difference? Also when I deploy an ECM jammer why don't the cellphone symbols go away?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Can someone explain to me what the two cellphone symbols mean? When poo poo gets loud I notice that sometimes an exclamation point will become a cellphone, and sometimes the cellphone will have little electricity lines coming out of it but sometimes it won't and it will just be the cellphone symbol. What's the difference? Also when I deploy an ECM jammer why don't the cellphone symbols go away?

When ever you see a cellphone symbol, that means someone is going to call in the heist to the cops, and you are going to go loud. The electricity symbols means that they are in the process of calling, and you have even less time to get over to the civvy (or guard) and pacify him (usually with lead aspirins).

The cellphone symbols won't go away when you drop the ecm jammer because it's nice(?) to know who you need to deal with while under the security blanket of ecm. It would be far worse to have that symbol disappear when you dropped ecm and had to manually find them.

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?

Drewjitsu posted:

When ever you see a cellphone symbol, that means someone is going to call in the heist to the cops, and you are going to go loud. The electricity symbols means that they are in the process of calling, and you have even less time to get over to the civvy (or guard) and pacify him (usually with lead aspirins).

The cellphone symbols won't go away when you drop the ecm jammer because it's nice(?) to know who you need to deal with while under the security blanket of ecm. It would be far worse to have that symbol disappear when you dropped ecm and had to manually find them.

Can a call still go through if it's got the wavy lines while you're dropping an ECM? Or does it work like a pager where it gets cut off and works as an alert?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you Candy Crush and Facebook, for without you the civvies might actually notice our heisting antics.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
I want to play a game about that one cubicle guy who never notices the horrible things happening around him. I guess a short film would also work. Overkill have plenty of actors on tap, right?

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Guys playing with pubs isn't that bad, just host your own games. Your rules, you kick the buttholes out, you pick the games. It's good to be king.

But seriously, things like the level minimum and the kick button are there for a reason. I set mine around 50 and usually other than a few assholes I'm good. It's not bad when the goon groups are barren and friends are offline. I've earned my very hard mask that way, and I've led some of the most competent Framing Frame hot jobs with pubbies before. I have also, however, seen some pubbies pack up the whole of the lab in Big Oil, grenade the computers, and expect us to carry every bag to the helicopter at once. I wasn't the host

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Guys playing with pubs isn't that bad, just host your own games. Your rules, you kick the buttholes out, you pick the games. It's good to be king.

But seriously, things like the level minimum and the kick button are there for a reason. I set mine around 50 and usually other than a few assholes I'm good. It's not bad when the goon groups are barren and friends are offline. I've earned my very hard mask that way, and I've led some of the most competent Framing Frame hot jobs with pubbies before. I have also, however, seen some pubbies pack up the whole of the lab in Big Oil, grenade the computers, and expect us to carry every bag to the helicopter at once. I wasn't the host

My co-op buddy and I did that on Big Oil - we didn't realize there was a puzzle until we loaded the first bag and he left to check if it was the right one.

We didn't win that one. :negative:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Hobo Siege posted:

I want to play a game about that one cubicle guy who never notices the horrible things happening around him. I guess a short film would also work. Overkill have plenty of actors on tap, right?

We really need Payday 2 assets for Source Filmmaker.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cheezit posted:

Can a call still go through if it's got the wavy lines while you're dropping an ECM? Or does it work like a pager where it gets cut off and works as an alert?

ECM by default blocks all phone calls and security cameras in its area of effect. If you upgrade it, it will also delay pagers.

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

I have also, however, seen some pubbies pack up the whole of the lab in Big Oil, grenade the computers, and expect us to carry every bag to the helicopter at once. I wasn't the host

:suicide:

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

So the differnece between a cellphone and a cellphone with electricity coming out of it is the former is they are about to make the call and the latter is they are making the call? Once they are making the call is it too late to stop it?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

ScienceAndMusic posted:

So the differnece between a cellphone and a cellphone with electricity coming out of it is the former is they are about to make the call and the latter is they are making the call? Once they are making the call is it too late to stop it?

No, if you blast someone who's on the phone with 911, the operator ends up saying 'WELP MUST'VE BEEN A PRANK'.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Coolguye posted:

No, if you blast someone who's on the phone with 911, the operator ends up saying 'WELP MUST'VE BEEN A PRANK'.

I can't tell if you are joking or not. In Watch_dogs (terrible game) someone could be like "PEOPLE ARE SHOOTING" but hten if you rip the phone out of their hands 911 is literally like "WELP GUESS I DON'T ACTUALLY CARE!". So if I see little electricity symbols, am I boned?

Also do pagers only enter the equation when a guard is killed?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I can't tell if you are joking or not. In Watch_dogs (terrible game) someone could be like "PEOPLE ARE SHOOTING" but hten if you rip the phone out of their hands 911 is literally like "WELP GUESS I DON'T ACTUALLY CARE!". So if I see little electricity symbols, am I boned?

I think that when you see the phone, you have (for the sake of argumenent, I don't really know the exact number) 5 seconds before an alert sounds. When you see the lines you have (for the sake of example, I don't really know) 2 seconds to kill/subdue the civilian before the alert sounds.

Pagers only enter the equation when a guard is killed/dominated. IF you have the upgraded ECM skill, you can drop an ECM BEFORE the pager activates to delay it (I'm pretty sure you can wax a guard and drop and ecm before the pager activates, but I'm not sure). If you have to answer a pager (the guard has a yellow outline around them), no amount of ECM will stop it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I'm not joking at all. I've shot a civilian in the face as they're going 'there are people with gu--' and the alarm didn't go off.

quote:

Or dominated, yeah.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

ScienceAndMusic posted:

He isn't joking. As long as the call isn't completed, you're fine.

Pagers show up on patrolling guards that you either kill or dominate.

Alerts trigger several ways. If a civvie/guard completes a call, if a civvie runs off the map, if a civvie hits an alarm button somewhere, or if a camera spots something and flashes the exclamation point.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 30, 2014

President Ark
May 16, 2010

I think the only thing that can't be interrupted in terms of causing an alert is a camera seeing you. If a camera gets an exclamation point, you're boned and nothing can stop it except maybe killing the guy in the security room (but if you could do that, why didn't you do that before walking in front of the cameras like a shmuck? :iiam: )

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Just finished my first game with Goons. It was an experience.

First day of Rats on Hard and the meth lab gets stormed by like 7 Bulldozers, and Bain not giving us the ingredients in a timely fashion, leading to us running out of ammo and oh god I hope another Bulldozer doesn't spawn. But it didn't, we finished our third bag, and chose to loving run instead of getting extra. We all get back to the van, load it up, and we'rWHY ARE THERE ONLY TWO so we run back to the house through a loving army and manage to somehow escape. Kind of. We get an escape fight. Everything else goes swimmingly, finish the heist with all bags.

So in all would recommend playing with goons if you haven't.

Well, except one goon.

One goon is a bad apple.

:colbert:

edit: Yeah it was a false positive, I meant that as a joke. He was flagged for 'Trying to pick up multiple bags' or something along those lines, when there were only 2 bags on the map.

Fingerless Gloves fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 30, 2014

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Thanks for the alert suggestions guys.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Fingerless Gloves posted:

One goon is a bad apple.

:colbert:

I feel like you'd have to be a really boring and/or spineless person to cheat at a co-op game.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Fingerless Gloves posted:

One goon is a bad apple.

What did he supposedly do? The "CHEATER" flag will trip if you dare to do such things as throw a fourth grenade that you've picked up from the case, so false positives do exist.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Hobo Siege posted:

I feel like you'd have to be a really boring and/or spineless person to cheat at a co-op game.

What? The opposite is true, cheating at co-op games is a victimless crime. Of course, "cheating" in payday means many things. I'm partial to "bulldozers spawn from dead cops, which then explode."

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Hobo Siege posted:

:getout:

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes

Coolguye posted:

Incidentally, it's important to note that shouting at civilians to get down is 'silent' in that it will not alert another nearby civvie on the noise. Alerts can spread based on people seeing others cowering, but if you yell at someone to get the gently caress down and there's someone else 5 feet away in another cubicle without line of sight, they will not alert.

I shouted down a civvie in Shadow Raid while a guard was pathing away from him around a corner about two feet away. That was pretty terrifying.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

feedtheid posted:

I shouted down a civvie in Shadow Raid while a guard was pathing away from him around a corner about two feet away. That was pretty terrifying.

"Nah man, when I told him to get the gently caress down I meant to get down with his funky self, y'know? :whatup:"

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

HellCopter posted:

What? The opposite is true, cheating at co-op games is a victimless crime. Of course, "cheating" in payday means many things. I'm partial to "bulldozers spawn from dead cops, which then explode."

I don't understand the mindset of people who pay for a game to not play it. I can only assume that they're easily amused and/or averse to challenge. Just playing with cheaters in this game is boring, I can't imagine how banal actually being at the wheel must be.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ugh i'm at 100 and i can't figure out if it's worthwhile for me to strip my ghost tree down to nothing for Iron Man ace. My crew wants me to do Bulletproof Ace but frankly they can get on board my train to get our Ghostnician to respec into a build that gets Bulletproof before level 150 (and doesn't have sentry gun).

Here's my current layout right now.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I mean that's how it works in real life.

The other important alet is from dropping a pager call.

PantsOptional posted:

What did he supposedly do? The "CHEATER" flag will trip if you dare to do such things as throw a fourth grenade that you've picked up from the case, so false positives do exist.

I got flagged briefly for picking up a bag. I actually have no idea why that flagged it. But i didn't get flagged for walking through armored cars and blowing them up from the inside.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Hobo Siege posted:

I can only assume that they're easily amused and/or averse to challenge.
These are the words of someone who has yet to discover the XP curve in this game.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
So wait, this is probably a stupid question, but does speccing into multiple trees allow you to carry all of those bonuses on one character? Judging by this talk of techforcers and whatnot, it seems so.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

LuciferMorningstar posted:

So wait, this is probably a stupid question, but does speccing into multiple trees allow you to carry all of those bonuses on one character? Judging by this talk of techforcers and whatnot, it seems so.

Yes. The only thing that's "locked" is any upgrade tied to deployables like trip mines, ammo bags, ECW jammers, etc. or things like the OVE9000 saw.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

These are the words of someone who has yet to discover the XP curve in this game.

I only cheated myself mask customization and gun mods because gently caress their RNG crap. Some people will never, ever get certain (or any) masks and others will never get mods.

But the XP curve was never an issue for me. I'm level 98 now and at no point did it ever really feel like a slog. If you're playing 24/7 then yeah, you'll feel the tedium set in. But me and my Steam friends just jump in like once a week to run a few OVK missions, and most of us are hovering around 100 now (for the first time, not Infamous). One of us went ahead and dived into Infamous ahead of the rest, but we'll probably catch up to him before he ever breaks I-90.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

PantsOptional posted:

Or has been disgustingly lucky with the card lottery. As said, "cheating" is a very wide umbrella over what you can do to alter the game experience.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Tulip posted:

Ugh i'm at 100 and i can't figure out if it's worthwhile for me to strip my ghost tree down to nothing for Iron Man ace. My crew wants me to do Bulletproof Ace but frankly they can get on board my train to get our Ghostnician to respec into a build that gets Bulletproof before level 150 (and doesn't have sentry gun).

Here's my current layout right now.

You don't really need aced iron man anymore due to the advent of sniper rifles. I'm sure that you can convince your ghostnician to be less bad by bringing a sniper rifle to loud heists.

I "cleaned up" your build, take a look to see if you like it. You don't need silent drilling, nor do you need cable guy aced (although it's really good), as you just need those points elsewhere.

Aced Fully loaded ensures that you'll rarely, if at all, need an ammo bag, but I can understand if you need to put points into it. I'm not sure if you're the only saw bitch on the team, if you are, you can change the top end of the enforcer tree to suit your tastes.

Unless you're using the Ishma-12G, Mag plus is a little lame, because most of the weapons you're going to be using (KSP, Car-4, AMR-16, Falcon) have pretty big magazines in the first place (with the right mods). While it is nice to have a larger mag (or tube in this case) on the Loco, it's not mandatory. In the below build, you also have the 20 point ghost tier movement bonus. It's really nice, but not mandatory, but I did include all of the Low level stealth skills (aced shinobi, aced cleaner, basic chameleon) to help your other dudes out during a sneaking mission. Realistically, you can drop to 11 points in ghost with no real loss on loud maps, just make sure that you have basic shinobi for the movement bonus.

The build in question: http://goo.gl/XP0NGF

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LuciferMorningstar posted:

To clarify, yes you get everything at once from all trees. However you can only equip some of the things you unlock at once, so you don't get the full effect of all trees and it does pay to go deep into one, the later skills are really good. You want to grab the first basic skills of each tree which are amazing. (read the OP newbie guide)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I've cheated myself weapon mods, because holy poo poo gently caress that noise. I also very much disagree with the XP curve not being a slog, I am so goddamn over the late 80s and early 90s I could puke right now. I have not cheated myself XP yet, but it gets more tempting every time I do a Watchdogs or Firestarter or Rats heist on Overkill with Fast Learner and +30% stealth bonus and get like half a level out of the deal.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I've seen pubs with two different cheats and I really don't get it. Hooray, you can stealth when tripping alarms/guards does nothing or complete the mission 20 seconds after it starts perfectly. What fun, glad I'm playing just to trivialize the entire thing. I immediately leave when stuff like that happens, what's the point outside of epeen I don't care about?

Only thing I could see rationalize cheating in (like the previous poster said) was weapon mods because that's random bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Goddamnit Kosbro, quit screwin' around, GET THE gently caress UP

• Locked thread