Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sonic Dude posted:

I would imagine that it's either a lab where they test coal, or it's a lab where they do other tests but the lab itself is made from coal.

Like, itīs coal.. We've had it for a while now.

I don't really see why we would need a lab for it anymore, I think we figured it out by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

larchesdanrew posted:

A wondrous state-wide road trip came in.

Apparently over the last few months, all of our various weather cameras from around the state began failing one by one.

I was not made aware of this. My supervisor was and, being him, decided to ignore the issue.

Out of 30+ cameras, we now have three sort of functioning.

Thus begins the adventure of driving from town to town checking out weather cameras. Every camera is located on top of some random building. One is on top of a retirement home that used to be a giant hotel 70 years ago. One is at a golf course. One is on top of a Hilton. One is literally just on a stick in the middle of loving nowhere.

Today we tackled golf course and Hilton. Get to golf course and camera can not be located on the network. Climb on top of, I wish I was joking, the golf cart charging garage and power cycle it. It boots up and looks like it's functioning fine. All the equipment looks to be in good order. Why isn't it on the network? Let's look at the cable... oh... it's been cut and is just sort of hanging out. Apparently the golf course was bought by a new owner and he sent some woefully underqualified lackey to clean up the mess of wires in the building, so he just cut them all. Welp. Gotta go run a new cable tomorrow.

Get to the Hilton in the next town and climb up on the godforsaken roof in 100 degree weather. Camera is functioning. Modem is connected. Router is routing. Plug into the router and check out the settings, and all the ports are still set correctly. Try to access the modem but fuuuuuuck Comcast and not letting you access modem settings. Turn on DHCP, go to xmyip, and... that's not our IP. They changed our static IP without notifying us. Thanks Comcast.

Two down, like, 28 more to go or something. At least I got some baller mexican for lunch.

Where will we go next? Who knows!

Please, PLEASE tell me you've got something in writing (or even from other people) about these cameras not working and your boss doing jack to fix them. I'd love nothing more than to see that moron get his rear end handed to him for letting poo poo like this happen constantly. What a lazy prick.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

myron cope posted:

New job uses BMC Footprints for tickets. It is awful. Although I think it's also just poorly configured, so it probably could be somewhat better?

Thankfully I don't have to deal very much with the ticket system.

What version are you using? v12 is a complete codebase re-write (from perl to java), and it's still not feature-complete when you compare it to v11. BMC bought out Numara halfway through the re-write and kinda rushed things out the door.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Mac users who decide to put whatever characters they feel like in file and folder names should be put to death banned from computers. Like putting a forward slash in...or periods...or a pound sign.

Fun fact for people in media: Forward slashes and pound signs break proxy paths in CatDV even though they are accepted for original media paths.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 2, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm gonna find a way to put an emoji in my filenames.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Ozz81 posted:

Please, PLEASE tell me you've got something in writing (or even from other people) about these cameras not working and your boss doing jack to fix them. I'd love nothing more than to see that moron get his rear end handed to him for letting poo poo like this happen constantly. What a lazy prick.

Nope, but it's solely his responsibility and the only reason we're doing it now is he got a sternly worded email from the GM about how poo poo our camera situation is.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm gonna find a way to put an emoji in my filenames.

Our online/mobile banking anti-fraud system poo poo itself a while back because somehow, iPhone users were putting emoji in their phone name field. We pull that field along with a couple others to form a System ID and boy howdy did emoji ever break that. For a week and a half until we got it patched every iPhone login with emoji got flagged, sent an alert email to the whole team, and opened a case on our ticketing system. It took us another week after the patch to clean out the ~15,000 tickets.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

Nope, but it's solely his responsibility and the only reason we're doing it now is he got a sternly worded email from the GM about how poo poo our camera situation is.

Please please please if you can bear it, keep a little note of what was hosed with each broken camera and how dumb the job to fix it was, because that would be fun to read.

I kind of like to imagine that one of them is showing a perpetual starfield and another one is just showing flashing images of Sam Neill with his eyeballs ripped out.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

larchesdanrew posted:

Sounds like it's your responsibility now.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I think I'm getting old, you guys keep typing emoji and I have no clue what the hell that is.

Is it a smiley? I think it's a smiley.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Rhymenoserous posted:

I think I'm getting old, you guys keep typing emoji and I have no clue what the hell that is.

That, or poop.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Rhymenoserous posted:

They're cell phone Smileys. They actually have a specific encoding standard so if you send U+1F639 it'll be a crying happy cat no matter what type of device you're on.

You can actually use them in WiFi SSIDs.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

re: emojis

https://github.com/cupakromer/emoji-rspec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj-y-bjP848

Write your tests with emojis! Make function names written entirely in emojis!

lol https://github.com/sferik/active_emoji
https://github.com/github/gemoji

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 2, 2015

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
reaching for my pistol just thinking about that

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

"Let's clutter console output even more because it isn't usually cluttered enough."

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Opening laptops is a loving pain. Sliced up my fingertips trying to pry open an HP.

Does anyone know if there's such a thing as an external 5.25 inch floppy drive?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Segmentation Fault posted:

Opening laptops is a loving pain. Sliced up my fingertips trying to pry open an HP.

Did you try opening it from the side without hinges? :v:

My 30 second google search says "I hope you know how to solder"

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Nope: if you don't want to solder there's these guys: http://www.floppydisk.com/usb.htm

This seems like a good guide: http://www.spellboundblog.com/2011/07/25/rescuing-5-25-floppy-disks-from-oblivion/

Which mentions: http://www.deviceside.com/fc5025.html

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

c0ldfuse posted:

Yeah I actually found them a HD but then was informed we don't even own the system. The system and rotary injection molding machine is a customers we've had on site for the last 15-20 years building their components and they don't want to put the $20k into refurbishing it.
If itt's running off a 5150 it's beeen there longer than 15-20 years, 5150s were unusably obsolete by 1990. They're not even truly x86, there's an 8088 CPU in there.

Sure are, do you want to use a 9-pin serial connection or the external connector on an ISA floppy controller add-on card?

In otherwords they exist(ed), but they're not going to talk to anything made in the last 10-20 years.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Knormal posted:

Sure are, do you want to use a 9-pin serial connection or the external connector on an ISA floppy controller add-on card?

In otherwords they exist(ed), but they're not going to talk to anything made in the last 10-20 years.

I've got one for a parallel port. I don't know where the drivers are but I'm pretty sure they're MS-DOS 6.22 compatible.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah, my first computer had two external 5.25" floppy bays, they were built like bricks because they were also structural support for the giant CRT monitor.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

:):hf::) fellow RVL commuter buddy. You're really not asking enough if they want you to commute to NYC in exchange for a 20% pay bump. It's an expensive place, they can afford more.

Even if that puts me into six-figure turf?

For what it's worth, what they're offering is basically what other positions have quoted in terms of range for a sysadmin with a VCP as of my current search, starting a few months ago.

I should also note that the initial salary figure the recruiter submitted me at was already over six figures to basically put me at 100k after all the transit fees, which are post-tax, so that would give him some leverage.

Also train -> train could imply that I transfer at Secaucus, Broad Street, or Summit, not necessarily Newark
:goonsay:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MJP posted:

Also train -> train could imply that I transfer at Secaucus, Broad Street, or Summit, not necessarily Newark
:goonsay:

Yeah but we already had this discussion so either you're moving out of Union, or you're transferring at Newark.

If you really think this is a good wage, then go for it, but don't be afraid to ask for more and get haggled down. Did you already give previous salaries, etc?

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

So I am completely stumped on troubleshooting what should be a simple deploy.

We use MDT off a boot stick (non-WDS) to deploy our new machines. I'm doing a Dell Precision Tower 7810, and the MDT process goes fine (detects/injects drivers, installs the OS fine, moves to the next stage).

However, upon booting into the Win7 desktop, it never gets an IP. Stuck with an APIPA address and eventually the deploy process errors out. I can ping localhost

I have: Confirmed that the system deploys with network drivers. Swapped out the lines. Used different ports. Tested both lines/ports with another device,and I get a DHCP address. IPconfig /release /renew. Uninstalled the drivers for the NIC and reinstalled them from a freshly downloaded copy off Dell's site. Just done the whole MDT process again. Nothing.

What makes no sense to me is that the MDT process obviously requires a network connection, and I've confirmed that, when it's in WinPE, this machine is obviously getting a DHCP IP address. But once it reaches Windows, nope.

Our network requires that MAC addresses be whitelisted in order to get a DHCP address, and I have removed/readded this machine's MAC twice now, to no avail. But if that were the problem MDT wouldn't have worked anyway.

Going to try installing Wireshark to see if I can figure out what's happening to its DHCP discovery packets, I guess. It's definitely sending packets out. Other than that I'm about ready to just install Windows 7 from scratch.

:argh:

This just started happening to me today as well. In my case it is Dell Optiplex 7020's, straight out of the box.

I tried two of them (one of them twice) and had the same results as you. I gave up and threw two of last standard (Optiplex 7010) machines on there, and they are working fine?!

I did not go so far as to ipconfig release/renew an address on the 7020's to see if they would get an address at all, I'm going to give that a try on Monday, I want to get the gently caress home so I can have a holiday weekend. The new hires on Monday can have 7010's.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

This is exactly what I want! Thanks so much.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Sirotan posted:

Really? My company has about 200 employees and ~60 printers among our 16 clinics. There have been times I've felt like a full time printer technician with just that many. With our new EHR system going live in two weeks each site is getting at least 3 more printers. (Please kill me.)

Now imagine the university hospital in town here. It's huge, probably employs 50,000 people. I can only assume they have a thousand or more printers to deal with just in the main hospital, so having one (or more) full time staff to deal with them seems completely reasonable.

What EHR are you using? I ask because that's what the company I work for now does.

Speaking of, Monday i'm back in the saddle. SPent the week in Maine at new hire orientation, which was awesome. I'm actually excited about work again.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

we bought a company. The CEO got cryptolocker on his surface. Their previous IT team did not set up any kind of appdata GPO to prevent cryptolocker running 'because a few of our apps run from there'

Apparently they didnt know whitelisting is a thing.

sooooo all their network drives are encrypted.

Lucky for me, we just hired a guy to support this company exclusively until they are on par with us at an IT level.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Ticket came in from the my department head, he had a meeting in on our subsidary's boardrooms and couldn't get things to work, since showing up early for a big meeting and testing is hard.

This site is unique of all of our boardrooms as they had hired a local AV installer company to rig up a control board built into their giant conference table, installed a lot of extra crazy equipment for a video conference system and generally made it a giant pain in the rear end to deal with. Its something if you spend 5-10 minutes playing with you'll figure it out, or at least have time to call. A fun note: this room was supposed to have suspended microphones hanging from the ceiling grid, but was rejected because they bought a dumb looking art piece. So they mounted the mics in the table, which means not only do they catch people tapping the table, one of them is 6 inches behind the projector and is permanently muted.

Anyway, he complained that he couldn't get his laptop to show up on the projector, we have the video in port on the table set to run through the video conference unit, and he hadn't pressed the presentation button. They have a sheet next to the control panel that explains how this works, but he had set his laptop bag on it.

Then, he said none of the wall ports would work for a Polycom conference phone, since that still uses an analog connection. Drop is actually under the table with a big label that says "POLYCOM."

Last note was he couldn't call the video conference system with a phone and have people connect that way. While this could actually be possible, the hardware to do this has been denied the last 2 times its been brought up.

The oddest thing in all this is that he sent in a ticket instead of just calling me. Could have explained things in a minute and got it all setup, but nope, lets send in a ticket and then not answer emails back.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Laserface posted:

we bought a company. The CEO got cryptolocker on his surface. Their previous IT team did not set up any kind of appdata GPO to prevent cryptolocker running 'because a few of our apps run from there'

Apparently they didnt know whitelisting is a thing.

sooooo all their network drives are encrypted.

Lucky for me, we just hired a guy to support this company exclusively until they are on par with us at an IT level.

hahahahaha just spoke with the CEO

"our previous IT team advised that best practice is to not run Anti Virus"

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

That can't be real.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bobmarleysghost posted:

That can't be real.

Sure it can.

"We have a firewall, so why do we need to upgrade from Windows Server 2003?"

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
They walk among us!

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Laserface posted:

hahahahaha just spoke with the CEO

"our previous IT team advised that best practice is to not run Anti Virus"

Antivirus is not going to do anything for 90% of crytolocker/wall infections.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

nitrogen posted:

What EHR are you using? I ask because that's what the company I work for now does.

Speaking of, Monday i'm back in the saddle. SPent the week in Maine at new hire orientation, which was awesome. I'm actually excited about work again.

NextGen, which is by...uhh...someone. I don't actually know. Not your place though, someone out in CA I think, or at least that's where they are flying some trainers in from.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

lampey posted:

Antivirus is not going to do anything for 90% of crytolocker/wall infections.

I dunno, we use Webroot after we had a single user become infected under Sophos and it has picked it up once or twice and stopped it.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Have anyone worked with Webroot? loving thing has been blocking sites at random even when the site is whitelisted. Hell, the drat thing is interfering with our VPN solution.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Sirotan posted:

NextGen, which is by...uhh...someone. I don't actually know. Not your place though, someone out in CA I think, or at least that's where they are flying some trainers in from.

Hey, we use NextGen!

I cheered when our CIO recently announced the physician's group was not renewing their contract and going with something else.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

RadicalR posted:

Have anyone worked with Webroot? loving thing has been blocking sites at random even when the site is whitelisted. Hell, the drat thing is interfering with our VPN solution.

Webroot is 3 kinds of loving poo poo.

That is all.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sure, the C-1541 is pretty popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Sure, the C-1541 is pretty popular.
And you can run your side programs on it. :v:

The C1541 disk drive had its own 6502 CPU and operating system. In essence it's a computer on it's own. Demo coders figured out that with some clever code you can use the CPU in the drive as a co-processor and offload tasks to it while the C64 itself does something else. :science:

• Locked thread