Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I remember seeing a version (I think it was this song, how many parody songs about IT can there be?) but it was recorded live on a stream or something and not this one.

Either way it's absolutely amazing.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
So I work for a newspaper:

quote:

Hey why did our web traffic suddenly go down by a shitload?

Not 30 seconds later

Mobile Phone Push Notification FROM OUR GODDAMN COMPANY APPROVED BY THE PERSON ASKING posted:

Power outage affects 1.5 million local customers.

I honestly have no idea why our traffic went down.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

How has that been around since May and we're only just now seeing it

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm asking the same thing. Holy poo poo.

Now that's computer. as. gently caress. :drat:

People were bitching about antiviruses around the time and getting red texts about how they're terrible about arguing about antiviruses.

It's a shame too, because it's a masterpiece.

Colorfinger does shows on Twitch every now and then, y'all should watch. It's a lot of fun and chill and maybe he'll perform it live again if enough of you come?

e: linking again for new page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqjpJtL5D-k&hd=1

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

deimos posted:

So I work for a newspaper:

Not 30 seconds later

I honestly have no idea why our traffic went down.

Electricity isn't internet, geez. :rolleyes:

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
A call came in from an instructor stating that the projectors aren't working in their classroom and they want someone to come take a look at it right away. So my coworker goes to the room and gets yelled at for interrupting the class. The voicemail they left clearly states "I need someone up here immediately." That class continues past any of our shifts, so there's no way we can fix it his afternoon, and I fully expect to get another angry call from the class using the room first thing tomorrow.

I hate this job sometimes. That room is always a pain; it's a "Concept Classroom" that has 6 projectors, with a PC, Apple TV, a Microsoft Wireless adapter, and a Chromecast crammed into the podium. The idea is that instructors can teach their classes in an way they wish, but the reality is a technological nightmare. There's also no A/C to that room, so I'm guessing the projectors are just overheating again...

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Arsten posted:

Electricity isn't internet, geez. :rolleyes:

Wireless clouds, dude.

Colorfinger
Feb 5, 2001

Migishu posted:

People were bitching about antiviruses around the time and getting red texts about how they're terrible about arguing about antiviruses.

It's a shame too, because it's a masterpiece.

Colorfinger does shows on Twitch every now and then, y'all should watch. It's a lot of fun and chill and maybe he'll perform it live again if enough of you come?

e: linking again for new page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqjpJtL5D-k&hd=1

Thanks for re-linking. I'm glad people are liking it :D

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Wireless clouds, dude.

Psh. As if. I still have to plug my phone in. Wireless my rear end. iCloud and Google Drive are both huge wire hawgs.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arsten posted:

Psh. As if. I still have to plug my phone in. Wireless my rear end. iCloud and Google Drive are both huge wire hawgs.

You have to plug your phone in? That's so 2014.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

You have to plug your phone in? That's so 2014.

The last Qi charger I had broke my battery. Wireless is beta.

Edit: Actual story: The Samsung Qi fast charger caught on fire and the heat hurt my Note 7's case. In this case, water was spilled by an errant child object and got into the Micro USB port.

Then three weeks later, I had to turn in my Note 7 because it would randomly catch fire. :v:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Someone on our platinum team e-mailed me a weird case, and like a dumbass I decided to pull it. This lady has some old e-mails saved in her system from 1995 that are showing as being sent by and received by people who didn't start working there until last week. Our ghetto-rear end system relies on unique 4 character IDs for each user, and there's plenty of issues that can crop up if people reuse those codes, but she swears they never ever have used those codes before those users started.

So down the rabbit hole I go. Way back in 1995, before it was a virtual certainty that everyone had an e-mail address, our product contained its own mail-like substitute product for sending messages over the LAN. There was an issue where the names of mail users would get out of sync with their 4 digit codes, and the wrong name would be shown on the message. Those utilities were all taken out when we stopped supporting fakemail, 4 versions ago. This isn't a problem for most agencies because the law only requires them to keep files for 7 years. I gently asked the user if she really needed these messages and she gently replied that she sees this as an important data integrity issue and is upset that I would suggest deleting these messages, which are now old enough to drink in the US.

Luckily since there's pretty much nothing I can do, it's probably going to leave my hands and go to our special projects team, who will charge her up the rear end to go in and manually re-kajigger the data to have the right names on it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Do your file retention policies also have an expiration date? If not, it should :D

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
That seems like one of the problems that goes from 'mission critical, must be solved immediately' to 'eh it would be nice, we'll get this done eventually, maybe, never' once the client has a realistic idea of the cost/time/effort involved.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

uPen posted:

That seems like one of the problems that goes from 'mission critical, must be solved immediately' to 'eh it would be nice, we'll get this done eventually, maybe, never' once the client has a realistic idea of the cost/time/effort involved.

They don't care, it's affecting productivity! :supaburn:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I would die laughing if someone asked me to restore an email from 1995.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Migishu posted:

Kensei add the video to the OP, tia

I have done the needful

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Internet Explorer posted:

I recently spent months doing just that for a court case. We dug out tapes/CDs/etc... from storage boxes, and it took me a good month to even figure out how the backups were created (DLT IV, G3 Mac, OS9, Retrospect Backup, kill me), then another month getting actual stuff restored. Crazily enough, I pulled files and emails back to 95, and had backups from even earlier, but I could't get my hands on a DDS tape drive. Every CD I found from that time was still perfectly readable, which really surprised me.

It was basically my worst nightmare made flesh.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Well that's going on the never delete from my favourites list.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

JBark posted:

I recently spent months doing just that for a court case. We dug out tapes/CDs/etc... from storage boxes, and it took me a good month to even figure out how the backups were created (DLT IV, G3 Mac, OS9, Retrospect Backup, kill me), then another month getting actual stuff restored. Crazily enough, I pulled files and emails back to 95, and had backups from even earlier, but I could't get my hands on a DDS tape drive. Every CD I found from that time was still perfectly readable, which really surprised me.

It was basically my worst nightmare made flesh.

This is exactly why you should have a policy on how long to keep backups. You can't be required to supply data for a legal case if that data does not exist.

Does your legal department know about that lady who has backups from 1995?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

GreenNight posted:

I threw a loving party when I was able to delete our BES virtual machine.

We had BES on a physical host. The most satisfying moment of that job was taking that loving thing out behind the dumpster and smashing it to pieces.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

This is exactly why you should have a policy on how long to keep backups. You can't be required to supply data for a legal case if that data does not exist.

Does your legal department know about that lady who has backups from 1995?

Exactly. If you don't have a retention policy and purge anything after that day with fire, you are setting yourself up for pain.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Latest round of windows 10 updates in the last two weeks have caused some clients computers to have IIS nuke itself to varying degrees. Lots of tickets with "help my webpage is not responding" and when I try to launch inetmgr I get the helpful "could not find inetmgr" error. On some the manager is still there, but the default website has disappeared.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Alighieri posted:

Latest round of windows 10 updates in the last two weeks have caused some clients computers to have IIS nuke itself to varying degrees. Lots of tickets with "help my webpage is not responding" and when I try to launch inetmgr I get the helpful "could not find inetmgr" error. On some the manager is still there, but the default website has disappeared.

Get with the times, Kestrel or death.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
My lady isn't looking at backups, she's looking at live data. Our system includes kind of a basic CMS where users can attach files to customer records. Most people purge anything they're not legally required to keep but this lady is apparently a hoarder. I officially pawned it off on Special Projects though, can't wait to see the result.

Alighieri posted:

I feel like every round of Windows 10 updates breaks something new and exciting. Last month it broke batch printing in such a way that every other document queued up failed to print for not discernible reason; this week, it's deleting people's RDP shortcuts off their desktops and blocking connections due to certificate errors (the latter is really our fault for using self signed certs though).

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Alighieri posted:

You're running IIS off of multiple Windows 10 desktops?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Most people purge anything they're not legally required to keep but this lady is apparently a hoarder.
You might want (if you care) to check on your policy. I've seen people get fired for keeping email, logs, and uneeded data past the retention date (which will vary based on industry and legal team).

Every year we get a "go through your in-scope poo poo and delete EVERYTHING that you do not have a legal obligation to keep that's older than XX-XX-XXXX. Failure to do so can lead to disciplinary action up to and including termination."

Stuff that's considered in-scope is typically email, customer related documents, (dead) project-specific documents, contracts, system logs, etc... And of course, backup media.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

anthonypants posted:

You're running IIS off of multiple Windows 10 desktops?

For larger systems no, but some clients of ours do not have a budget for server editions and so I just do what my boss says for them. So windows 10 pro with IIS it is. Everything is for internal use only, no public facing sites or anything.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What product are you supplying? Windows Server Embedded is well priced and doesn't require you to track or supply CALs, depending on the use case.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I work in a used computer store

Customer: Do you buy computers?
Me: Depends on the computer. How old is it?
Customer: I bought it 15 years ago in an Oregon thrift shop for $25 and I'm looking to make my money back.

She was insistent that she could sell it because "If someone offered me a computer for $25 I'd take it"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

klosterdev posted:

I work in a used computer store

Customer: Do you buy computers?
Me: Depends on the computer. How old is it?
Customer: I bought it 15 years ago in an Oregon thrift shop for $25 and I'm looking to make my money back.

She was insistent that she could sell it because "If someone offered me a computer for $25 I'd take it"

The gold and copper inside are probably worth more, but that requires effort.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Are you sure it's not a rare antique?

Also the words "used computer store" fill me with an unexplainable dread.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

klosterdev posted:

used computer store

A what?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

flosofl posted:

You might want (if you care) to check on your policy. I've seen people get fired for keeping email, logs, and uneeded data past the retention date (which will vary based on industry and legal team).

Every year we get a "go through your in-scope poo poo and delete EVERYTHING that you do not have a legal obligation to keep that's older than XX-XX-XXXX. Failure to do so can lead to disciplinary action up to and including termination."

Stuff that's considered in-scope is typically email, customer related documents, (dead) project-specific documents, contracts, system logs, etc... And of course, backup media.

It's not my data, it's the customer's. Microsoft has no interest if you have 20 year old Word documents; we don't care if you have 20 year old e-mails.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

ponzicar posted:

Are you sure it's not a rare antique?

Also the words "used computer store" fill me with an unexplainable dread.

might be Free Geek. Their shelves are loaded with poo poo no one should buy

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Fifteen years ago there was that Computer Renaissance chain in the PacNW right? Maybe that was it?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

uPen posted:

A what?

One of these.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Internet Explorer posted:

I have a set of archived disks around here of every customer email from my ISP from 1992 - 1997.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

ConfusedUs posted:

Welcome to the joys of patent litigation, where as far as I can tell basically everything is fair game, and to defend a claim you pretty much have to keep every single scrap of information that might even remotely have been related. Faxes, letters, emails, documents, work notebooks, it never ends.

Standard patent length these days is 20 years from application date, so that's pretty much how long you have to keep everything. Though in my case it will be even longer, since litigation will probably continue long past the expiration date in Dec. Add in a few years to make sure you've got documentation of all work done prior to the application itself, and you can easily hit 25+ years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Enkmar posted:

might be Free Geek. Their shelves are loaded with poo poo no one should buy

Nah, I got a copy of Warcraft 3 and the DLC for it for 5 bucks there, and they were legit copies too.

Most their poo poo is CE's storage room level garbage, though.

• Locked thread