Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
I hate it when applications require admin credentials to run. Thanks, Aruba. Your Airwave developers suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We just put ServiceNow into production. Like, this morning. I'm already missing RT's simplicity.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Just about ALL the tickets are coming in right now. Exchange is down. Kerberos is down. Pretty much every service hosted in our Data Center is down. It's so bad we're forced to communicate with the world via Twitter.

The phones are still up, though. At least we've got that.

We can't even create tickets. :smith:

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A ticket just came in… and then a few more… and they promptly disappeared from the queue. Because they all got taken. My group is FINALLY staffed well enough not only to handle the daily user support load but actually start moving forward on long-delayed projects. :buddy:

I've probably just jinxed us by being happy about it.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Priss In Plate posted:

I'm still waiting for the rest of my team to start showing more initiative with taking on tickets before the end of the day. I really shouldn't have to come in for the afternoon/night shift and work on 5-7 tickets that should have been handled five hours prior and 20+ tickets that just need to be moved to the proper team. :shepicide:

I had that problem with a couple of guys that (thankfully) moved on. One of them (a temp) was just a lump; the dude had zero initiative. And then he got upset when he applied for a career opening and didn't get it. Huh, go figure. The other used to watch them pile up and then start complaining that nobody was taking them. Of course, he wasn't bothering to take any, either. gently caress that guy.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Knormal posted:

One of my coworkers tends to take a ticket, then proceed to just sit on it for weeks on end. Sometimes the user will eventually call me about an issue I have no idea is happening, then I'll look and see a ticket was opened two weeks ago but I never even read the description because I saw it was already assigned. But then sometimes he'll work a ticket but not pick it up, so I'll take it and contact the user only to find it was already taken care of.

That poo poo drives me crazy. I'm often haranguing people about the importance of good ticket discipline. But for right now my biggest problem is guys taking tickets they don't realize have already been grabbed. We use ServiceNow so unless you're constantly refreshing it can be easy to step on another tech.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I really wish I could just will a good job for you into existence. 'Cause I'd do it.

I'd probably will everybody you work with to painfully spontaneously combust first, though. I'll PM you if I think I'm making any headway. In the meantime, avoid wearing synthetic fibers.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand how blackswordca's company has any business at all. How does anything get configured properly, much less maintained, for any of their clients? Is it all just churning new clients? :confused:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
An even worse confluence of shitheadedness is found at medical schools. Tenured faculty who are also doctors. They're completely insufferable. Thank God I work on the academic campus supporting administrative units now.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ZetsurinPower posted:

good call. self improvement is often the only way to get ahead if you can't secure on-the-job training or get your company to pay for classes.

Important note for people who are interviewing with a new potential employer: always find out what the promotion path has been for the position you're applying for, find out where previous employees ended up and how long it took them to get there. If they scratch their heads trying to think of a success story, its probably a sign that its a dead end position.

Very true, as long as you don't go overboard with this line of inquiry. I just interviewed a dude earlier this week who started the interview asking how fast he might be promoted to management. And derailed an interview question to ask a second time.

Guess what the first thing out of his mouth was when we got to the "so do you have any questions for us" part of the wrap-up?

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just got promoted to supervisor! Apparently it happened three weeks ago and my boss just got around to telling me. We're pretty efficient around here sometimes.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We just got this gem in from a new client. This is the submission in its entirety.

"new lap top making odd noises and mouse pad not working"

:psyduck:

edit: She must be referring to the trackpad. At least, I hope so.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This gem just landed in our queue about a minute ago.

Fuckhead executive posted:

Somehow (not exactly sure how), my MacBook Pro got smashed. And the mousepad is messed up and the case is buckled. It turns on, but its unusable because of the mousepad. I'm hoping that it has insurance to get fixed? What are the next steps?

SOMEHOW my laptop got smashed and now looks like a taco! I have NO IDEA how it got that way! I just looked away for a moment and suddenly it was like that! I didn't do anything! Golly!

:fuckoff:

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

Are there tire tracks through the middle?

Please say there are tire tracks through the middle.

Or a footprint.

Dunno yet. I'm out sick today, but asking one of the guys to send me a picture as soon as the thing gets in.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If you're truly dealing with a situation where someone has special equipment needs due to physical problems/different-abledness/damage/mutation, then yes, it's ergonomics. At least that's how my employer frames it.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Well, no tire track or footprint. Turns out the battery is doing its best to imitate a deployed airbag and buckled the palmrest. Bummer. I was looking forward to ranting about executives.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Just got this:

Some plebian posted:

Our newest laptops are not set up correctly. We require a patrician that will allow admin privileges so clients can load their software.

At least they aren't agitating for a tribune.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
New CIO incoming. They've requested 2 iMacs (one for each desk since lugging a tablet or, God forbid, a laptop between buildings would just be too much. And they don't want to use Exchange calendaring, no, they want to use Google. Never mind the rest of our whole organization uses Exchange.

loving C-level.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

the Google thing is just insane.

Oh, but they have a solution! We will create a shared mailbox in Exchange and their AAs will double-book all their appointments. I'm sure everything will go smoothly. :downs:

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Snarky ticket came in from a user that always wants BIGGEST NEWEST FASTEST NOW because he's really greedy. Asked for "the largest SSD possible" for his laptop, because he's filled his standard 256GB SSD (with what, who knows?) Approved by his boss (who is a nice guy but sadly rolls over for the jerks on his team).

Sent his boss a message through the ticket that I'd be purchasing his ~$3300 2TB SSD later today. Let's see whether or not he chokes on his lunch.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There's a server room in one of our buildings we're in the process of decommissioning, and we've been providing rack space to a unit that occupies the floor below us. This is one of their machines.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Just got a request for "unfeathered access" to a server.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
One of my guys out in the field couldn't find our Office 2011 installer, so I went looking on our software share. Along the way, I found this sterling example of our professionalism. I am hoping it's a joke, but I dunno. At least end users can't see it.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was also thinking that I somehow missed OS K entirely. Was it any good?

So here's another weird thing that just happened. Some end user sends mail to a guy on my team complaining of spam and slowness on her machine. So he responds to her with the usual (when did this start, try this, etc.), copying:
  • Me (his supervisor)
  • The IT Director of the unit we're supporting
  • My boss
  • The first-tier helpdesk

So I get why he would copy the helpdesk- it would automatically create a ticket that he could snag. Less effort than copying-and-pasting. But… why go up two levels of management in two different orgs? Well, whatever, maybe this user is a particularly hot potato, customer-service-wise, so he's alerting us, maybe, but normally he'd create a separate thread with all the gory details.

Anyway, the whole campus has seen a surge in spam, and I don't think the tech is aware yet, so I reply, but fork the thread, responding only to the tech and the end user, telling them that it's a campuswide problem right now. I leave all the managers out of it, because they have no reason to care at this point, and I don't copy the helpdesk because it's just an offhand comment and I don't want to create a new, duplicate ticket.

The tech responds to me with more or less a "boy howdy, I've seen a lot of spam too" message, leaves the end user off the thread, and copies the helpdesk, creating a duplicate ticket. Can't figure out his thought processes here.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Just got an onboarding ticket submitted. For six people. Hiring supervisors are supposed to submit a separate ticket for each individual user. Someone couldn't be bothered and jammed five extra names in the "other notes" field of the onboarding form.

Oh, and they all started five days ago.

I often wonder what goes on in these units where they give us onboarding tickets days after the new employees show up. What are these new employees doing during all that time? There's only so much orientation and basics that can be covered without being able to log into a workstation.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Just got a ticket where a group of users is complaining their group printer intermittently isn't able to print the numeral 6. They swear the data in their print jobs is fine. All the other numerals print reliably.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Super Slash posted:

Guy wants to know if he can get some kind of remote access so he can do some work from home over the weekend, guy is a laptop user so I ask why not just take the laptop home?
:v: "It's too heavy"

Guy doesn't have any reported physical disability but it doesn't end there

One of our standard models for users is a 13" MacBook Pro. Had a user who insisted he must have an Air because the MBP is simply too heavy. He is not disabled in any way at all. His job involves no travel whatsoever. His manager caved and approved the nonstandard Air to save him the stress of those precious eight ounces. That was seven months ago.

It literally hasn't left his desk once. Not even for meetings down the hall.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm still using an Apple 23" Cinema display with my laptop. I think this thing is like 12 years old. I'm kinda cheap. We normally either deploy 2 22" monitors, or one 27" monitor to users. Dell P-series, so nothing overly fancy.

However, we have deployed a Dell U3415W and have a couple more on order for some graphic designers we support. Starting to wonder about how I can justify having one.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
One of our users will retire this summer. She wanted to know what her "options" were for her email address and cell phone number. I informed her about our campus policy/program that allows you to forward your email address forever, but that her mailbox here will be deleted after 90 days, and that our folks that manage the business end of cell phone stuff generally don't want the hassle of transferring/releasing numbers because it's a pain, but hey, go ask them anyway, you never know.

I was told I was unhelpful, and that "these are the only email and phone number I have had for decades and I don’t have much time to change everything. A few months’ notice would have at least helped a little."

She's been planning to retire for the last two years, and her expected retirement date is still two months away. That gives her almost half a year to figure out how to migrate her personal poo poo to a different mailbox. I would have offered to help her set up migration via IMAP until she dropped the idea that it's our fault somehow.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Well, we're a state university so the chances of us going tits-up overnight is pretty much nil. But yeah. We had one fossil leave early last year and it was amazing the amount of personal stuff that he left behind. Bank statements, mortgage statements, medical diagnosis letters, legal documents, personal letters, medicine, you name it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Got a lovely escalation handed to my team from the helpdesk. "User can't log in to her laptop" was pretty much all the ticket said. Zero details; gently caress that. Kicked the ticket back down to the helpdesk for more information. Ticket comes back to us with the additional information that "user can't input from keyboard." Kick it back down again to have the helpdesk ask some really loving basic troubleshooting questions like "laptop keyboard or external keyboard? Reproducible with both?" etc.

Ticket comes back to us again saying basically that the user's video seems shot; at boot there's just gray bars across the screen for a second, then, nothing. OK, fine, helpdesk tech is retarded, whatever. At least we finally have something to go on. I dispatch one of my techs.

Dude arrives onsite to find the laptop screen has an obvious point of impact and radiant cracks across the display. Pretty much a "well, there's your problem" moment. User, of course, claims she has no idea how it happened.

I get that nobody wants to be yelled at or whatever for busting equipment. But A) my team isn't going to do any yelling because the customer owns the equipment, and B) a sheepish "yeah, I hosed up" earns you a grudging point or two. Liars just look like dumb assholes.

• Locked thread