Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

So a business we share a forest with got Cryptowalled a weeks before Christmas, and their whole shared drive got trashed. Now I know Christmas is a slacktacular time of year, but we didn't get the ticket until 8th January, and three weeks seems like a hell of a long time to notice that the filename of every Office document in your whole business has turned into moonspeak.

We restored from backup without a hitch, thankfully. The guy who downloaded it, his contract ended a few days later, so we never got to grill him about it. Oh, word, you cleared your browser history and cache just after you raised the ticket? That's not at all suspicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Mo_Steel posted:

We got lucky; though the process had flooded the network drive with the html files about how to pay to unlock, it looked like McAfee had blown the process away before it could change any actual files. :sweatdrop: We had backups upon backups of course so if it had gone off we would've not lost anything, but gently caress seeing that felt like being punched right in the gut.

Ours got hold of pretty much everything except PDFs. Forefront caught what we're pretty sure was the offending .exe file. Shame it did so three weeks too late. Honestly the only scary thing was realising how little a poo poo anyone gave about it. We're freaking out trying to find out how far this thing had spread (some users have mounted drives all over the place), but despite losing business-critical stuff from 200+ folders, nobody besides the ticket creator notices or chases it up even once. And these are the same people who curl up into foetal positions when they lose their desktop backgrounds.

Untangling some failing Outlooks today, I noticed a user who had set up rules to forward every e-mail he receives and sends to his assistant. He also CCs his assistant and himself into everything he sends. So every email he sends gets copied to the assistant's mailbox in triplicate. The assistant already has full access to his mailbox, rendering all of this completely redundant. This is of course the department that complains on a weekly basis that Outlook is slow and unresponsive. Yeah, I wonder why?

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Took a call 15 minutes before clocking-out-time from one of my favourite remote users. Holding his hand through 2FA logon with a one-time-password was, as always, frustrating, but nothing I haven't done dozens of times before, but then this:

:phoneb: OK, I've reset your PIN. Can you try-
:awesomelon: (female American voice at deafening volume) 50 CENT HAS STOLEN QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS OF JEWELRY
:phoneb: .......
:phone: Did you hear that?
:phoneb: ...yes?
:phone: It's been doing that for days.
:phoneb: ..........is that coming from one of our machines?!
:phone: Yeah. It's really annoyi-
:awesomelon: 50 CENT HAS STOLEN QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS OF JEWELRY
:phone: -ng.

It happened a bunch more times during the call, and although I was running late it took everything in me not to laugh because of the sheer absurdity of it. It'll be lovely malware, of course. Can't wait for that machine to come back in!

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I would be embellishing if I said I'd heard relief in his voice when I confirmed that I could, in fact, hear the scary computer lady. But, seriously, the guy's a programmer; how do you put up with it for that long? How are you going to get any work done? loving mute it already.

Personally, I like to think he's holding out for the next thrilling installment in The 50 Cent Chronicles: The Case of The Stolen Jewelry.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Segmentation Fault posted:

you can find me in your cache
Sneaking in through flash
look mami I got cryptowall, you into salted hash?
I'm into credit cards
I can't counterfeit the cash
I'm makin' PCs crash
Till they throw them in the trash

gold

Alighieri posted:

Being a programmer does not automatically make you good at computering. Then again most of those I know that program and don't computer too good are in their 60's-70's and likely learned programming starting with punch cards.

Oh no, I know; I meant: "how can you code with that poo poo blaring out of the speakers every few minutes?"

Segmentation Fault posted:

It might be Cortana reading articles through Windows 10's news app? But it got stuck somehow?

Nah, Windows 7 :shrug: edit: ah, I didn't realise you could get Cortana for Windows 7. But he can't have installed that unless he has admin rights. I hope nobody gave this guy admin rights.

Wachter fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 20, 2016

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

An announcement of the death of a colleague came in...

...in Comic Sans :negative:

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

please don't lump vaping in with the ancient and noble art of seal clubbing

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

"Desistificate communicron"

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

totalnewbie posted:

AudioQuest doesn't pretend to fully understand basic material science but somehow they have the solution down pat.

AudioQuest don't just understand, they understawnd. That's how they developed a mechanicm to reduce distoration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Surely, "mopping up other people's poo poo" is an essential skill for any IT professional?

• Locked thread