Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Fortis posted:

Our marketing department hired a "Email Marketing & Campaigns Manager". She's been here ~35 business days (since late November) and has filed 50 tickets. 1.4 tickets per day.

I've never seen someone transmute verbs into nouns and vice versa this much. Questions that need an immediate answer are "urgent asks," if an email promo didn't get sent out on time we're "late on this promo send."

On top of that, everything is phrased in that "business polite" way people do that comes off more as unnecessarily rude than anything. She's going full-time remote next month and she's asked us 3 times in so many words if we know what we're doing and if she'll actually be able to remote in when the time comes.

I wish there was a polite, professional way to ask a user to refrain from writing tickets that are viscerally repulsive.

You could suggested that her writing style is being flagged as spam because it picks up incorrect verb/noun usage. "I get what you're writing but the spam filter is what it is" :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Thread: question, for those of you who work remotely but not at a desk, do you have any variant of a laptop-desk you use? My wife was looking at the dharma desk but $250 on a laptop desk made of plywood is excessive.

Honestly if you're going to be working for any length of time it is going to be worth investing in a desk.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

I'll prefix this by saying Church isn't really a big thing in my country and I've only ever been once or twice for friends baptisms/other occasions.

This is pretty wackadoo stuff as far as religions go isn't it? Like this isn't exactly standard is it?

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

A request came in.

The Admissions Director asked if I could figure out how to import a list of new students into our management system so that they can just feed it a .csv file instead of having to input 120 students one at a time each year.

I poke around and figure out how to import a student and have it assign them an ID number and everything looks fine. Time to test.

Awesome. Let's try multiple students.

Fantastic. There they are in our student database, ready to be officially enrolled. I let the admissions director know that it can be done and set up a meeting so I could walk him through it.

Alright, let's go delete all these fake students.

Whoops, you can't just delete students. You have to fill out a shitload of expulsion paperwork for each student.

So here I go, filling out paperwork to expel twenty variations of Testy Testarooni for the superintendent to approve.

gently caress me.

Fantastic. My old boss liked to the story of how he accidentally printed the Windows XP test page over a few sheets of business cheques. Apparently it was quite an involved process for the accounts staff to document and dispose of them.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

MrMojok posted:

If you do use the file system resource manager to constantly monitor all shares, is there an appreciable performance hit?

I do realize this will depend on the size of the data and hardware on the servers, so it's difficult to generalize.

I've used it for about two years now and I haven't noticed any appreciable difference.

I'd add that it may be a good idea to blanket ban executable files on (most) of your company network shares (FSRM can do this). When you think about it there is very little reason to have executable files stored on your general drive.

The way I usually do it is to have a central location of installers that are excluded from the exe ban in FSRM, otherwise I'll get an email if someone attempts to add an exe to a network share and the file copy is blocked. I implemented this because cryptolocker/variants at the time was replacing each file with a self extracting exe of the actual file, so a lot of users would get infected before someone noticed something was up. It has served me well.

My Cryptolocker defense has worked well so far but it's not available for everyone.
I use Applocker to whitelist all the executables that can run on my workstations. I'm lucky because we have Win 7 Enterprise. This was reasonably time consuming but not exactly impossible, it took me about a week all up. My method was basically to go through and create the rules for all the applications I knew were running in the organisation. Then I enabled Testing/Auditing of the rules.After a week I gathered the event logs off the workstations and polished off my ruleset based on the applications that would have been prevented from running.

I've also configured FSRM to block executable files from being copied to most network shares.

Obviously there is the mail filtering and AV.

I've configured my mail filtering to block all executables and scripts (vbs,cmd,bat etc) and zip files that contain them. I've also blocked file extensions that should rarely, if ever, be sent via email. Stuff like .dot files and .rtf, this is very organisation specific but you get the idea.

Before mail even hits my server each host is verified against the spamhaus zen blocklist, which cuts down on spam by about 90-95% for us.

Stuff I'd like to do in the future:
- Figure out a way to have a host blocked if I get too many infected files from it.
- Block emails from (most) other countries domains. My organisations very rarely need to talk to Brazil for example.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
We've just got a bunch of HP ProLiant 650 G2s in and they all came with a 256GB NVMe SSD. Wonderful! Finally the employees here can get some access speeds.

However I've since found out that these SSDs require hotfixes to be applied before WIndows 7 x64 will boot without bluescreening.

So now I'm spending my day loving around with my previously rock solid MDT Tasks and Images to get these laptops running. Almost 10 hours of tinkering and I'm not really any closer than I was.

What kind of workaround is this HP?
http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c05040446

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

anthonypants posted:

You're complaining that Windows 7 doesn't support NVMe out of the box, because the standard was created well after Windows 7 was released, and that you have to download a hotfix provided by Microsoft and slipstream it into the install wim.

I'm more complaining that the hotfix doesn't seem to work.

• Locked thread