Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Oldie but Goodie.

Hello test equipment which became production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Antioch posted:

My favorite PM in the company is 28, just got her PMP, and is heading to Mexico next week to do a fashion shoot for a couple fitness magazines.

She's ruined all other PMs for me. Not that that's a difficult task, the rest of them here are alternately assholes, clueless, or clueless assholes.

PPM's are going the way of the CISSP professional.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Whats that? Microsoft MDT 2012 will incorrectly deploy your image if it has the latest windows updates installed? Whats that? Its all because the default unattend.xml file is somehow incompatible with IE updates?

How the gently caress does this poo poo even happen? How could I have worked with MDT this long and not know this. How many admins out there are trying out MDT are thinking they are stupid because their new image takes a giant poo poo during deployment?

gently caress you Microsoft.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

blackswordca posted:

Update: This new computer quote to a customer that needed a replacement nic thing has kind of blown up. Ive had three people get me to retell what I did for troubleshooting the client and what the conversation with my manager went like.

Luckily the manager and I had our disagreement over what to do in a text chat so there isn't any ambiguity there, but I am expecting people to try and shoot holes in my troubleshooting.

Weee.

Anybody that looks at your chatlogs and thinks you are partly to blame doesn't give a poo poo about reality. Remember that and act accordingly.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

All,

If you are receiving this email you have a "company" cell phone or receive a stipend each month. Please update your voice mail message immediately to include all 4 points- Name, with "company", will return your call, for immediate assistance contact the "company" office at (999) 999-9999.

For example:

"You have reached John Wayne with the "company" company.
Please leave a message and I will return your call as soon as possible.
For immediate assistance contact the "company" office at: (999) 999-9999.
Thank you and have a great day!"

Please have this updated before tomorrow morning…Thanks!

NOPE. You pay me a stipend because it saves you money. You don't get to own my voicemail as well. Pitchforks and torches are being passed at this very moment.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Anybody here use Bomgar for remote support?

I use to, its complete poo poo.

You don't happen to work for a company with "computer" somewhere in its name do you?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

psydude posted:

I have to question the wisdom of using only a third party IT services provider when you're running WAN links and VoIP to multiple branch offices.

You don't get rich by giving your money away psydude. You talk one of your employees into asking their husband for free advice. Maybe you seem like you are getting ahead that way.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Welp, it appears that an office admin has sent an email to someone she was talking poo poo about accidentally. I am currently "investigating" if this could be "hacking" because I was told to do so. What a dumb thing to be involved in.

Since this person wasted my time instead of just accepting she got caught doing something stupid, I have attached quite a few emails that could possibly be an example of her getting "hacked". It appears a large number of her daily emails is her gossiping and saying very crude things about people. I only had to go back 3 days to get 20+ emails worth. At the very least, someone should probably have a talk to her about being more productive with her time.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Fenrisulfr posted:

It's supposed to. The fun is when it doesn't and trying to figure out why! When I first updated our WSUS to 2008 R2 I had 4 or 5 servers and 30-40 computers fail to get updates or even connect for a half dozen different reasons. The best one was probably where ~20 computers had the Automatic Updates service disabled. Still haven't figured out who did that or why. Good times.

I didn't know that the Windows Update website worked like that. I haven't used it since P2 was new, though, so that's not overly surprising. The next time I have an issue I'll have to try it out.

That is why you use group policy more effectively to ensure all the essential services are on and stay on. Even if these users get local admin, turning off the service will simply mean it will get turned back on again during a policy refresh. Some features will be totally grayed out even to other admins if group policy enabled for that feature.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

guppy posted:

It's actually Outlook. We use Office 2011 on our Macs.

It's bizarrely crippled, too. Apparently Outlook 2011 straight up will not sync distribution lists with Exchange. If you want to create even a local distribution list, you have to actually dig into the options menu and unhide local items, or else the button will be grayed out and unavailable. You can't import ones from a Windows machine, either. It's insane. I have no idea who decided that not implementing this basic feature was acceptable.

All apple devices act this way.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

blackswordca posted:

So a ticket got re-opened

About a month ago a ticket was assigned to the Sr on the account to make it so that mail.company.ca worked in the new exchange environment because https://mail.company.ca/owa was too annoying for everyone to remember. Fair enough. He said he completed the work and closed the ticket.

I get an email today from the CEO saying it still isn't working.

Ive never done this before so I googled the solution to see if there was something unchecked or a setting missing. I checked the exchange server, nothing had been done to it and the SR billed two hours for it. I made the changes, restarted IIS and everything is working great. It took me maybe 10 minutes to do it with having no idea how, but ill probably be billing a bit more than that.

We are working with an outsourced software company which we pay a premium to rent space on their infrastructure to house a test environment (instead of having it here). The only problem is that they have never gotten their IT to figure out how to give our company outside access to it and their own employees don't use it because they think its too slow.

We continue to pay a heavy premium for this service despite not using it. I was told that "It might hurt our relationship with this company if we refuse to pay for that service.". Someone has to be getting some under the table money right?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Jesus christ, there are windows admins out there that still don't know about custom views in the event viewer? Do people still click around the default views to find issues?

I think my coworker just cried when I showed him that this thing exists.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

incoherent posted:

A decision that could of only been made in a Microsoft manager committee. See: shutdown button in vista.

I haven't done much in cmd.exe in a long time on servers. I think its a good move.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

jim truds posted:

A new guy came in. He thinks racist jokes about coworkers are funny. gently caress you new guy.

My desktop guy came in wearing house shoes and red velvet pants. He also doesn't look or smell like he showered. We have a relaxed dress code, but drat dude.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Helushune posted:

We get 1000ft spools for ~$30 (bulk cat-5e) and can cut everything to length for the job at hand. I'll give you the inferior bit but we're a small-ish non-profit who's still mostly stuck in 10/100 (although we've been moving things to gigabit). It just makes sense for us to make our own cable.

It never equals out to being less expensive. Unless you are working for free or have nothing better to do.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

captkirk posted:

Do most people actually use pre-made ethernet cables when wiring up your racks?

The cost and reliability is just too attractive. Wiring poo poo is pain in the rear end enough.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

gently caress exchange. Every time I start trusting the GUI I get burned. NEVER AGAIN YOU oval office. Its powershell or bust. Powershell doesn't lie to me. :smith:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

My company was recently purchased by a larger one, and we're in the process of switching support structures from our existing (free-form, collaborative, fixing-it-right-is-better-than-fixing-it-fast) support structure to the new parent company's, which is highly focused on metrics.

It's been a disaster. The first guy they trained over there got railed on for his poor metrics with the new product, daily.

But the simple fact is that our product is far, far more complicated than the existing one. Ten minute calls simply don't exist for our product(s). Hell, it can take over an hour, on a simple system, to do a full configuration and initial testing.

Even I, who has more customer-facing experience with my product than anyone, could not meet their metrics. I couldn't come close.

Eventually the guy they trained over there, the one that was hand-picked for his ability, dedication, and general all-around awesomeness, was let go because of this metrics bullshit.

That was two months ago. There's not a day goes by I don't wish I had him back. There are now 10 people doing the job he did. They try hard, but none of them have his ability.

I turned down a couple of opportunities to go work directly in that department because of this metrics bullshit. I'm glad I did--I have a much more interesting and less stressful position now after an internal promotion a couple of weeks ago.

Corporate mergers and buyouts are never pretty from what I have had experience with. The buying company employees are going for the kill because they don't want new talent to affect them and the bought employees are freaking out because their world is being turned on end. The worst things about corporate life are then brought to 11.

I won't hesitate to reach for the door the next time any company I work for us bought.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

skipdogg posted:

I work with people in their 30's that do this. I don't understand it. Back when I was involved with our call center we would see a massive spike in callouts when a new hit game or WoW release came out. Who calls into work so they can play a new video game?

How is taking time off to do something you like to do confusing?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

skipdogg posted:

I don't know. I'm in my 30's now and scheduling vacation time around a video game release seems to be bluntly honest, loving childish. Calling out of work sick for it is unfathomable.

I've taken mental health days to sit at home and play video games before. Between work, school, raising 2 children, and everything else that comes with the mid 30's 'American Dream' it's the only time I could play a video game. Sometimes you just need to shoot some bitches in the face. I get it.

A guy I work with took the entire HALO 4 release week off for vacation. A grown rear end guy in his 30's with two step kids at home. Maybe it's me but I can't wrap my head around a video game being that loving important to me. I have so much other poo poo going on in my life, playing video games is ranked so far down the list it's below straightening up the poo poo in the garage. I haven't turned my PS3 on since my birthday in February, even if I did find a few hours of free time to turn the drat thing on, it would probably just be wasted doing system updates anyway :/

I find it interesting that you see this as being irresponsible somehow. Its thinking like this that leads that leads to toxic work environments in small ways.

Shocking as it might seem, there is probably a large amount of people who use vacation time to get away from doing productive things for a small amount of time.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Where did I say this was irresponsible? I have no issue with someone taking a day off to play video games or dick around and be unproductive. I do it all the time. I get something absurd like 32 paid days off a year and if work is slow I'll take a mental health day to burn some PTO no problem. I took a day off work to play Resistance 3 all day and it was fun. I'll putz around the house, run some errands, go shopping whatever.

Scheduling your life around a video game release date though? Yeah, that's a bit much in my opinion.

So its the fact that he scheduled around the release date? At this point I don't get what you think is a bit much.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bless all of you who take so much consideration of whats going on at work before you plan your vacation. Its always a bad time it seems to go on vacation.

I on the other hand plan my vacation around all the fun things I can do, job be damned. It has seemed to work really well for me so far.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

So this Cryptolocker thing is floating around and really picking up steam:
http://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/1mizfx/proper_care_feeding_of_your_cryptolocker/

gently caress the people who wrote this thing. It's simple, evil, and they're going to make some bank.

The only instance I have seen of this we paid it and then did a chargeback on the credit card. Fast, simple, and it helps get the wiretransfer service used shutdown faster.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

kensei posted:

:yotj: offer letter came in. Do I let current job attempt to match or just :snoop: out?

Is your employer respectable?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

nitrogen posted:

It certainly does matter in some cases.

One of our new customers doesn't trust our build processes and provided "gold images" for the servers they wanted.

They were basically cloned from existing servers of theirs in production.

So, we got them, brought them up, and removed them from their AD and joined them to our AD.

Can you guess what happened to their production systems when we did that? [yes, the networks are linked together.]

Yep. Trust relationships, computer account passwords, and domain memberships are all going to poo poo on themselves when sids are cloned.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Roargasm posted:

I showed up an hour late one day and during that hour, someone at my company decided to delete all of the computers and servers off of our AD to "clean it up" (admittedly it was a horror show) assuming it would repopulate when those computers reconnected to the domain. Fun couple of days.

There is a 1 rule for all active directory administration that you must understand, always DISABLE, never delete.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GreenNight posted:

What? No - I can deny her user account security rights to process the GPO.

What I don't understand is that the rest of the company is required to managed their own email and this person isn't? There is nothing wrong with the technology. This is a personnel problem. The sooner you treat it like what it is the sooner you can move on.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GreenNight posted:

I agree, but there are some people you have to baby because of what position they are in the organization. Regardless, it's good to know that the archiving is the correct solution, so I can pass that on and make the boss decide how he wants me to handle it.

To each their own I guess. Once you start down this path you only make the work harder for you and everyone that follows after you.

At least make a group to apply the exception to. Name it properly and document it somewhere.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Jeoh posted:

I'd just like to remind people of the HP Engineer loving around with a metal screwdriver in a CPU slot to remove the thermal paste. Yep, he broke it (more).

I don't think those techs make a ton of money do they?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

nitrogen posted:

I find it hilarious that I am entrusted to engineer and administrate administer millions of dollars worth of customer infrastructure, but I am absolutely too stupid to hhave admin rights on my windows laptop.

I find it hilarious when experienced admins take it personal when they don't have local admins rights on their machines. People who should understand the need to have standardized configurations across the enterprise for all the reasons they are necessary.

:smug:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Lookit this guy who doesn't run all standardized configurations in VMs so that he can test everything with snapshots.

Sucks for that guy, my GP always works. :smug:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

nitrogen posted:

I wouldn't mind it so much if my IT department could take care of routine requests and tasks in a timely manner.

The fact that the entire enterprise cannot use adobe reader for a week, due to their incompetence is a great example of the problem.

Plus, you're a shithead.

I am a shithead, this much is known.

Things do get done in a timely manner though in my neck of the woods. I do however deal with devs, dba's, and everyone else who believe they should be the exception too. Everyone who has the same complaint you do just in different forms from time to time. If I never get to hear someone tell me how valuable their sandbox was yet they can't install itunes when they want I would die a happy man. If admin rights didn't cause the issues they do, I honestly wouldn't give a gently caress.

I thought on this quite a bit last week. My work would be so much easier if I didn't have to worry about security issues. poo poo would be so simple if only I didn't have to consider local admin rights, acl's, network permissions, and physical security. :smith:

Sickening fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 10, 2013

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Our CEO is the only person using Windows 7 and the only person using a laptop on the domain. If she starts from a fresh boot everything works fine. When I disconnect it from the WiFi and immediately reconnect, I still get the correct DHCP info, yet the laptop can't ping Google or anything on the LAN, not even the gateway. Software firewall is off.

The issue never resolves until the laptop is rebooted. I tried this with a different, XP laptop, on the same hotspot, and everything works fine. The gently caress?

Its obviously service related if a reboot fixes the issue. I would suspect you have a service that needs to be restarted to fix the issue as it happens. This however isn't going to be great because something is breaking the service in question. I would have reinstalled the wireless driver as soon as I had your issue.

I would use the easy transfer wizard and export his windows profile folder to a external drive. I would reimage his system and transfer the profile back.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

blackswordca posted:

Apparently we setup an email box for clients to forward suspicious attachments to. We are also setting up a machine, off the network, to test the attachments to see if they are viral or not.

Im thinking about taking bets on how long it is until we have an internal infection

Its funny that there is the expectation of trust of employees to forward email to this inbox but not the trust to expect people to not to simply delete suspicious email.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Agrikk posted:

From a ticket marked High Importance I am trying to deploy four physical servers via the scripting tool that launches from a winPe session and connects to a deployment server, but said server cannot be reached due to a network error.

So I update the ticket with the details of my attempts to troubleshoot and a suggestion that the switch ports might not be configured for the proper VLAN yet. I include the IP addresses of the servers to be built and their gateway IP address that is unpingable from either server (indicating a networking issue).

There are two owners on the ticket that get updated upon a ticket update. One guy is on vacation and the other guy just. Doesn't. Get. It.

His first email:

Hey Agrikk! I can ping the gateway from my laptop. Are you sure it's down?

(I try to explain the difference from pinging from his laptop and pinging from the servers themselves. Can we please get a network admin involved?)

Second email - two days later:

Hey Agrikk! You are right! I can't ping the IP address of either server! Something must be wrong here! I opened a ticket with Network to determine why I can't ping the servers!

Third email - four days later:

Agrikk! Hey! Network responded that the servers haven't been built yet so they won't be pingable. They closed the ticket. Can you build the servers?

(I explain that yes, there is a network issue. Yes, I know that no one will be able to ping the servers because they aren't built yet. I put a temp IP on them to troubleshoot. Can you please get a network admin to look at the switch?)

Fourth email - today:

Hey Agrikk! I can ping the gateway IP address and other servers within the subnet. Are you able to proceed with the installation now?

(I explain again how pinging the gateway from his laptop establishes connectivity exists between his laptop and the gateway, not between the new servers and the gateway. Can he please get a network admin involved so I can talk to him?)

It is going to be a looong deployment, folks. Good thing the PMs have marked this ticket a high priority, too.

Sounds like you need to specify boot server hostname in your dhcp scope (or setup an ip helper on the vlans). Its a pretty common problem you find when setting up a deployment server for the first time.

This guy is probably getting paid a hell of a lot to not know something this simple.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

tehloki posted:

And install windows XP tablet edition on a 6 year old tablet PC from the windows XP tablet edition CD I keep in my back pocket for emergencies, yes. It's a personal laptop, I don't care enough to redo it from scratch. It is pretty cleaned out after the combofix-essentials-malwarebytes gamut. I deleted the infected user account & all files to be a little safer.

Why are you tasked with working on a non-work related machine at all?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Auto-complete is a convenience, not a requirement to get work done. I do not shed a single tear for those who get so butthurt over losing an NK2 file. They can get hosed as far as I am concerned.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Caged posted:

None of this is your problem. The guy who asked you to look knows 100% what's happening (hint: check for logon events), but you're now the person who touched it last.

I find that funny too. Why would an account lead have access to see if backups failed yet doesn't have the responsibility to fix them?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Office crashing on every application. Quick repair didn't fix the issue. Picked online repair, it uninstalled Office. The gently caress?

These types of situations with office end up being pretty brutal. You didn't happen to do an upgrade installation on this box did you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Vin BioEthanol posted:

I'm not actually involved in this but a manager here has somehow successfully talked vdi admins into + gotten a change approved for the installation of VOIP software into a vdi environment that call center users 500 miles away use. So that they won't have to have an actual phone on their desk anymore.

poo poo, it may work but it just sounds like a horrible plan to me.

Audio over VDI is a fools dream, much less trying to do something with such high quality needs as VOIP. These admins are hosed.

• Locked thread