Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Not quite a ticket, but something that was pretty funny in my opinion happened today.

One of our customers needs to swap in some new servers because their existing servers are old and out of warranty (fun fact, they purchased the old ones from the local Tractor & Implement who partitioned them all with just gigantic C: drives). Swapping in some new servers requires a project with our company so we can migrate all of our software to the new servers. I guess the customer was bugging us about when this would be done. The answer was that we couldn't start work until we we had a signed work order.

Well, I guess they assumed that just signing it and sending it to us was enough (they submitted it yesterday). Out of nowhere they called the sales team today. "Hey, we formatted the old server and installed the new one. We need someone to install the software." Yeah... We haven't even had our internal sales to implementation handoff, so the project isn't even officially in our team's hands yet. The person who will be performing the migration was on site with another customer because that was what was scheduled for that day and nothing is even scheduled for this migration yet.

In the end, he gave them some instructions on what pieces of software needed to be installed (stuff we should be getting paid for). Luckily for them, they didn't wipe out any important production data. The only thing hosted on this server was some third party software used for handing print jobs.

I'm just hoping the customer has learned a lesson from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Morning starts out with an email from the prime, who is the hosting vendor for this project.

quote:

We have about 20 tickets for no one able to get into OnBase this morning. Can you take a look and see what's going on?

I start remoting into all of the web and applications servers. I figured I should also remote into the SQL server seeing as they are the worst hosting vendor and the system has gone offline twice because backups were failing causing the transaction log to fill up the entire drive it was on.

Turns out I can't remote into the SQL server. I can't ping it either. Seriously? Is the issue that the SQL server is offline and they have no loving idea? I shouldn't be surprised though. They had no patching schedule for any of their servers and the customer now requires them to send weekly screenshots of Windows Update showing that there are no available updates to be installed.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
One of our customers does first five characters of the last name, first initial for their accounts. Poor Elaine Dickman. She's pleaded with the IT staff, but they refuse to change her ID unless her name legally changes.

• Locked thread