Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Old images I dug up:

1. This was the result of my first pass through the storage room at my old place. All of this is worthless old poo poo Tony was saving. I actually got into arguments with him over some of this crap. All of this is from 2009/2010.

2. Here's Tony's idea of organized server room cabling:

Don't go chasing waterfalls... but if you must you'll find one in front of the switches.

3. Not once but TWICE when he had a server room run of around 10 feet he used a 100 FOOT CABLE. And all that yellow cable? It's one freaking cable woven up and down the rack over and over.

4. I built a web-based trouble ticket system. When the helpdesk guy went on leave for five weeks this is what the stats looked like not long before I quit. For the first time.:

When I forced the CIO (our boss) to confront Tony with his lack of output he responded with tickets like this, featuring one of his favorite misused words:

I saved an email where I was complaining to the CIO that when a temp started Tony turned it into SIX tickets. What a horrible rat bastard he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Even has those sweet '90s InterCaps!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Caged posted:

I read 'spec bucket' and was wondering what could be so noteworthy about a laptop that someone had just specced the highest price everything to put in it.

And then those memories came, uh, flooding back.

I'd forgotten about it and now that I've re-read it I remember why I wanted to forget about it. :cry:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

At one of our locations that we took over as a joint venture they had an old server in place but there was a new Dell in a box on the floor of the server room. Apparently it had been there for months because the I.T. Director for the joint venture partner was super busy. About a year has passed and he suggested putting that server in place to help with a project. I asked for the specs:

Dell R710
24G RAM
8 Gb NICS with TOE and iSCSI
Xeon 5620 processor (2.4Ghz, 12m cache) x2
Perc H700
iDrac Express
5x 300Gb 15K RPM SCSI Drives (all hotswap)

This thing has been in the box for... a year and a half? Two years?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

dennyk posted:

And yeah, that R710 should do fine, but probably does need some more RAM to really justify it, unless you guys don't have a VM cluster for smaller builds. Hell, we're running a bunch R710s and R720s that have 192-256GB of RAM (basically they're huge search index cache boxes).

There are only four users at that location! All the old server does is local AD logins and host an MSSQL 2005 database and some files. For a small company they spent a good chunk of change to have that thing sit in the box all this time.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

...and my boss, in standard form, responds "will there be bitches there".

I can't stop chuckling at this. Who does this? Is he a frat boy?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Default should be to have no value at all but data validation should prompt at submit if it's a required field.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Things have gotten so busy for me the last few weeks that I've fallen behind on my web browsing! :argh:

One of the few XP machines in our organization freaked out and I wasted about a day trying to repair it. Had a boot error that I've only seen with Vista/7 that had me baffled. Also realized that I had no XP media or tools so I had to scramble for some. The PC is only two years old and came with 7 but the user has an app that requires XP. We're paying a ton of money to finally move to a version that works with 7 64 bit but the project's not done yet, so after I put a new hard drive in it's back to XP.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Galler posted:

More importantly Windows XP mode is poo poo and breaks horribly and randomly very often. Make an XP VM if you need xp for something. Alternatively give up and install XP because it's a lot easier in the long run.

The PC has a mysterious parallel port dongle on it that might be for the app. I need to get answers out of the worthless vendor that supports the app before I do anything interesting. I'd love to use XP mode for this since by the end of the year the app will be able to work in 7 and this would save me some trouble.

The PC has been sitting there for two years out in the open at the location and I expected it to be seething with malware but it scanned completely clean in both my antivirus and antimalware software.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

mysteryberto posted:

XP mode is a trap. It looks great initially but ends up failing or disjoining itself from the domain. Typically it works for a few weeks OK until you develop ways to deploy it large scale. Half way through deployment it begins to show major problems.

Microsoft did everyone a favor not including it in W8.

Why must you all crush my dreams of putting Win 7 on this box? :(

It's just one machine and it's not on a domain so I'm still tempted if only because it's 2013 and I hate having to install XP.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Dropping your iPhone from a third floor balcony is a good way to make sure I don't approve replacement.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Sometimes you need to tell your boss 'no.' If that's not sufficient try 'no loving way.'

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

We now have staff in Seattle at four sites and I've been avoiding going up there but the time has come. I had them do a survey of their technology but there's too much info missing, and since it's clear they have a few PCs that are at least ten years old I need to go in person to make sure there aren't any other surprises waiting.

I don't mind Seattle but I hate flying and while I'm away it's hard to do my drat job.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I decided to finally get an SSD for my home machine but encountered some weirdness after cloning to it. I posted this in the SSD thread but it doesn't get much traffic and there's plenty of smart people here:

I have a weird problem. I bought a Samsung 840 Pro 256 gig drive. I'm using the free Easeus 6.0 backup to clone my old drive to the new one. The old drive has three partitions: System Recovery (100 megs), Main Drive (900 gigs) and manufacturer restore (10 gigs.)

After cloning disk to disk from old to new the manufacture restore is still 10 gigs, but the System Recovery partition ballooned to 5 gigs and the main drive takes what's left. System boots fast but it's annoying to see so much wasted space.

Booted off the old drive, cleared off the SSD partitions and manually cloned the partitions one at a time. Sizes were then correct, but it was skipped in the boot sequence in favor of the old drive. I noticed that the SSD main partition wasn't active so I activated it and now my system attempts to boot from it but I get a message that the boot manager is missing.

Should I just be using a Windows repair CD to fixmbr and fixbot this thing, or is there some other issue with how I cloned via partitions?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I fixed it. Blew away the manufacturer recovery partition and extended the main one with that Easeus Partition Master. Made the system reserve partition active, booted from the 7 repair CD and let it fix the boot info. Done! Goddamn this thing is fast. And soooo quiet.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

When I purchase a new PC I usually get a surge strip along with it so I can throw away the old horrid ones I find stuffed into crevices around the offices.

The best is when you discover some yellow, stained strip under a desk that you want to replace but when you follow it to the outlet it's plugged into another decrepit strip. My rule is to replace the farthest upstream strip and work my way back.

Unless it's trapped by furniture. Those ones will stay there until the end of time.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Congratulations!

If anyone wanted to know which company has the worst voice-directed customer support I can tell you: It's Pitney Bowes. Our postage meter stopped connecting via the analog line so they sent us a replacement. This one won't even detect a carrier. I call their support number and it's voice directed. It's taken me a total of ten tries to get two successful calls, because when I say "technical support" I get every other possibility (Ex: "Did you say 'sales'?") and when it falls back to a voice/keypad combo and I hit 2 for tech support it just drops the call.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I used to manage an Avaya Definity system via one of those little dedicated terminals and the thing was rock solid. IP Office on the other hand... terrible piece of poo poo.

All the talk about laptop security jogged my memory to back when I worked at a software store. We had demo computers and they were secured with... MAZE PLATES! A steel plate with a maze groove cut into it would be glued to the desk, and then a plate with a couple of knobs on it would be glued to the bottom of the computer. You'd set the computer back down with the knobs in two entry holes and then move the thing around to get them locked into the maze. You were supposed to keep the maze guide so you'd be able to figure out how to get the PC back out of the maze plate but they were long gone by the time we needed them.

When the store closed we just brute forced the drat things and then had to peel the plates off so we could return the computers to HQ. What a royal pain in the rear end.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Hahaha you will never be clean again. NEVER!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

And some (all) of us have worked for them.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Holy poo poo it's a long weekend? :supaburn:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Motronic posted:

Our cops also use their laptops to check for warrants/solen property/etc. I'd argue that some of what they can do is pretty critical to their safety and a big improvement from the old days when they didn't have access to this information (dispatch isn't going to have to time to look it up all for them in every situation).

Having to go to a secondary channel and then do Code 10s on fifteen kids a cop found throwing rocks at their school is something I wouldn't miss. That and searching serial numbers on a mountain of worthless crap found in a pickup truck bed. A cop once had me running serial numbers from clock radios and toaster ovens.

MDTs implemented properly made a huge difference on the dispatcher workload. Let the cops run their own run of the mill requests, and let the dispatchers handle the more challenging searches, like people with multiple AKAs, incomplete info etc.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

tehloki posted:

Haha, my employer just rented a whole floor of an office tower and they want it wired for internet/conferences/ticket sales in 2 weeks. We don't even have contact with the building IT and there's a single power drop in each corner of this massive space. The last tenant moved out 12 years ago and cut all the cables at the demarc. Our facilities guy is freaking out. Gonna be a fun 2 weeks.

See if the building has a riser management company. Sometimes they can jump in quickly to handle extending your circuit to the floor and then cabling out the workstations. If you don't have an internal contact that can do this then just find out the number for the building's property management office and start with them. They might route you to the building's chief engineer.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

Yeah, but I bet they don't even have a floorplan worked out yet.

Hello? Build first, then plan! :pseudo:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I was having my usual sort of dreams last night when next thing you know I was replacing the cartridges in an inkjet. It was going well at first, popping out the empties and snapping in the new ones, then I realized that there were still some empties to replace but I'd used up all the new ones in the box. Then I saw there was a second inkjet next to the first and that I'd been replacing some of the empties in that one as well. Whoops! I was trying to figure out how to get this sorted out when I noticed that the inkjet also had two large "waste water" cartridges with snap on lids, so I was attempting to remove them without spilling the water.

gently caress printers.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I will confess that last week I was trying to copy a 7 gig Outlook archive to a nice new USB 3.0 16 gig flash drive and kept getting the error that there wasn't enough room. I checked and the drive was empty, and even reformatted it.

Then I remembered these things come formatted for FAT32 and the format tool was also defaulting to that. :downs:

EDIT: You guys talking about cluster size probably remember wait states and RLL hard drives. Or dealing with IRQs. Sometimes I think people don't realize how hard it used to be just to use the drat PC. I supported an online game that eventually required 618k or so of system RAM and holy poo poo it was a bitch to get that much space without resorting to a boot disk. We were doing things like loading stuff into empty video memory space to try and get those last few k. I hated the developers for those RAM requirements.

How about expanded and extended memory? You think it's hard trying to explain hard drive storage vs. RAM, try that one.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 3, 2013

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

A new employee called to complain about a slow spreadsheet she was working on over the network. Three tabs, about 100 megabyte file. My new boss had been working with her so she joined in the complaint.

I took a look and there appeared to be hardly any data and no weird stuff pasted in. I told her about a time years ago when I found that someone had accidentally formatted the maximum spreadsheet size which was then 65k x 65k cells.

She said "No way I did that!" A quick CTRL-END proved her wrong.

Formatted all the way down to row 1,048,516. :stare:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I will never give up my Nucleo_Nlog_v2G skin. :froggonk::hf::froggonk:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

Cant find the "poo poo that pisses you off" thread, so posting here.

We've had 12 Optiplex 790's with power supplies that have blown. These were all purchased a year ago, and are in our offices all over the state.

Anyone else having any similar problems with 790s? We have 90 of them, dont know what the deal is.

I have eight, no problems so far.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I was on a conference call this afternoon and got cut off by Sarah McLachlan blasting out of the speaker. I said that it was like being on an award show when you talk too long and the band starts playing. No one would cop to being the culprit but after a minute or so it stopped.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

tomapot posted:

From two pages back but chiming in to one-up you. Some departments in my company either have Radio Disney or sappy Disney tunes for the on-hold music. Nothing like "zippity-doo-dah" blasting through a conference call.

All conference calls that reach the 30 minute mark should automatically be interrupted by Zippity Doo Dah.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My old boss wanted me to take him to the new HQ so he could see his new office. So we went over and he has one of only two corner offices, and it's a pretty good size. He seemed troubled and said "I don't know if I can make this work."

I'm losing my own office and going into a cubicle so I was curious what was wrong with this lovely space.

Old boss: I don't know where I'll put a couch.
Dick: I'm having trouble identifying with your problem.

He didn't hear me because he's had me almost totally tuned out since day one but the building representative giving the tour laughed.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

tjl posted:

File extensions should have died with DOS

Sounds good until you have to deal with recovering thousands of Mac files that have all lost their resource fork. :smithicide:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Alctel posted:

Is 'disruptive' the new 'innovative' marketing speak? Anyone else noticed this?

That one has been around for a while. It basically means "something that annoys I.T. workers."

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Have a weird problem that started yesterday. In one folder on the network all Excel and Word files have become corrupted. Other files like PDFs are still working normally. No antivirus alerts, no weird PC behavior indicative of malware. I haven't seen a problem that only eats MS Office files without any other symptoms.

EDIT: Looks like ransomware called Cryptolocker can do this but it's quite persistent in alerting the infected user know.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 12, 2013

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I can just restore from an hourly snapshot but it's annoying that Postini actually blocked the infected emails but a few people chose to manually release them and then open the attachment. At least one person owned up to it but I'll be hanging the others out to dry.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My Cryptolocker infection came from someone who received his daily Postini spam summary and decided to manually deliver the infected spam email and then open the goddamn attachment. Idiot. This incident sucked monkey-balls.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

Do you guys have examples of these emails? Like how did these doofuses get "socially engineered" into clicking through?

For me it was from XeroxScanner@mydomain.com with a subject line about a scanned document. The user had just scanned something. On a Ricoh.

Postini grabbed it and when he got the daily summary he hit the Deliver link.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Scikar posted:

Did Postini detect the virus or did it just classify it as spam?

Classified it as Bulk Spam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've been to the last two Xmas parties for this place and both times the music was turned up so loud I could neither hear anyone, nor make myself heard. I have some sort of audio processing problem that makes it hard for me to pick out voices from loud background noise, and one side of my vocal cords is partially paralyzed so I have difficulty raising my voice in loud environments.

I usually wind up sitting somewhere away from the speakers, messing with my phone. Also this is a drinking crowd and I don't enjoy being around people when they're shnockered. That in a nutshell is why I hate parties.

• Locked thread