Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I would hope that after they got it figured out someone from the NOC went over and yanked graybeard's poo poo of the rack, set it on the front desk, and put a note on it telling him to leave and never return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

go3 posted:

I think weve had 1 poster with an overall positive Barracuda experience. Then there are the 4 or 5 with stories similar to yours of Barracuda support being useless when they encounter a problem that isn't easily fixed.

I'm in the group that believes Barracuda is poo poo in every way possible and should be avoided due to a similar experience.

e: I've got some homebrewed oktoberfest that I need to keg this weekend.

Galler fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 17, 2013

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

skipdogg posted:

DameWare for local lan, TeamViewer for anything else. Works well for us.

This is my preferred solution as well.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

More importantly Windows XP mode is poo poo and breaks horribly and randomly very often. Make an XP VM if you need xp for something. Alternatively give up and install XP because it's a lot easier in the long run.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

nexxai posted:

I know what he's saying - what I'm saying is that they would be identical. If "XP Mode" won't work for you, creating your own has a high probability of producing identical results.

No, creating a XP VM with any other virtualization technology is worlds better than that half-assed piece of poo poo Microsoft Virtual PC.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

The PC has a mysterious parallel port dongle on it that might be for the app. I need to get answers out of the worthless vendor that supports the app before I do anything interesting. I'd love to use XP mode for this since by the end of the year the app will be able to work in 7 and this would save me some trouble.

The PC has been sitting there for two years out in the open at the location and I expected it to be seething with malware but it scanned completely clean in both my antivirus and antimalware software.

The big issues I found with using XP Mode in production were, as described above, getting users to be able to actually start it up, XP Mode being shutdown improperly, and the integration features being unreliable at best. We ended up banning the use of it because it was wasting too much of IT's time and instead either made proper VMs or just used a physical XP machine. Indecently if you start digging through the XP Mode settings it looks suspiciously like a really early stripped down version of VMware workstation/player.

Before it was banned we had it working perfectly on a couple dozen computers until it failed one by one on all of them. It would do this in a variety of ways and seemingly at random. Part of the issue was that XP Mode will, by default, attempt to hibernate the XP VM when XP Mode is exited. If the user gets impatient (it can take a while) or something happens to the host machine that causes this process to be unsuccessful bad poo poo happens. It also breaks for other unknown reasons.

Often the user would start up XP Mode and find that they could not connect to any of the host drives/printers/network/whatever. They just suddenly had an isolated XP VM. I occasionally had success turning off as much of the integration stuff as I could and treating the VM like a proper VM (joining it to the domain and such) but this tended to either break other things or horribly confuse the user. If it did break there was generally no fixing it. Even uninstalling and reinstalling rarely changed anything. I've seen two computers being setup side by side completely identically with XP Mode working on one and being broken from the start on another.

Considering you only need it to work for a short time I would just stick with a physical XP box. Failing that VirtualBox (free), VMware Workstation ($250 retail) work much, much better and both support parallel port pass-through with a bit of effort.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

pixaal posted:

So Friday I mentioned Barracuda not sending an RMA and a goon co-worker using a spare and getting shot down. Well Monday he called since the senior tech is now on vacaction. He planned to spend all day since he needed a new case number. He was on the phone with them for 5 minutes he just told them he was losing faith in the device.

They sent overnight, a newer model, AND a T-shirt. Free swag! My boss has demanded that he has to wear that shirt to work on Monday when the other guy gets back from vacation after wasting a week on the phone with them. So Barracuda doesn't seem so bad if you are nice but also just ask for an RMA. If you ever have to deal with them just mention email is too critical to run diagnostics on their hardware. (Still gently caress them for wasting a week of our time).

Now wait for the RMA to also be broken and the RMA for the RMA to not be broken but still not work properly even after someone from Barracuda spends hours configuring it for you (over the course of a week). Not that I have personal experience with that exact sequence or anything.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

This is a pretty major SLA breach and I'm going to have to CC half of Packet's organization now :argh:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Our school just made this change as well, I would hate to be tech support there right about now. At least while they were changing things they also changed our LMS from Angel to Desire2Learn, so we can all stop using IE6 just to submit assignments and download lecture notes! (If you've never had the pleasure of using Angel, it's like blackboard only ten thousand times more poorly written):

iframes in iframes in iframes in iframes

My school uses desire2learn and it's a horribly slow and convoluted mess that silently fails assignment submissions and other poo poo. It's probably better than Angel and about as lovely as blackboard if not a bit worse.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

We had one group that needed 32bit Win7 for some lovely application that was taking forever to get updated. They got the same laptops as everyone else with 8GB of RAM. It cost like $30 extra or something insignificant like that and their laptops will get reimaged with 64bit Win7 before too long (some already have) now that the application has been updated. If we hadn't done it that way we would need to get approval and then order the extra RAM individually each time we switched one to 64bit.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Lum posted:

Probably goes without saying that this machine does not have an SSD.

That's your problem. The place I was working for over the summer had similar Dell laptops with mechanical drives and they were slow as gently caress. I'm not sure if Dell uses especially lovely hard drives or if they have some hardware/firmware flaw but the I/O on those laptops was extremely bad even by mechanical drive standards.

e: My technical challenge for the day was trying (and failing) to unfuck my google voice. Somehow a voicemail escaped google voice and ended up somewhere else on my phone. In the process of trying to fix that my google voice number stopped forwarding to my cell. It just says "call cannot be completed as dialed" and hangs up. I can forward the number to my home phone and it works fine. I generated another google voice number on another account and can forward that to my cell but my original number will not work. Slightly hosed since that's the number I've given everyone and is the number on my resume. Not completely hosed since it will at least go to the home phone.

I think it's time to just give up on google voice and pay out the nose for text messaging through my carrier.

Galler fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 30, 2013

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

When Combofix fucks up, and it does sometimes, it fucks up bad and can be much worse than whatever you were using it to fix in the first place.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

:hfive:

Spermy Smurf posted:

Cant find the "poo poo that pisses you off" thread, so posting here.
That thread got merged with the old version of this thread so your posting location is correct.

Spermy Smurf posted:

We've had 12 Optiplex 790's with power supplies that have blown. These were all purchased a year ago, and are in our offices all over the state.

Anyone else having any similar problems with 790s? We have 90 of them, dont know what the deal is.
I'm not sure who Dell has designing and building their power supplies but I don't think anyone involved is an EE or has any knowledge of either one of those Es.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

It's probably faster to do everything in powershell than dick around with server 2012's GUI.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

EuphrosyneD posted:

Dilbert, what's wrong with bog-standard dump(8) piped into a gzipped tarball or something?

Alternatively, see if you can get Amanda up and running (though with its age it might be hard)

Edit: Comedy option, DD the whole drat disk or disks into an image onto your SAN or something.

I think the issue is none of the (correct) solutions he's proposed or any of the other (correct) solutions in this thread cost money. Services need to cost money because then there's someone to blame if they fail even if it is more likely that they will fail because they suck. No this doesn't make any loving sense but the people in charge didn't get to where they are by making sense they got there by bullshitting and scapegoating.

Dilbert hire me to come in and P2V that server for $200/hr. I'm an expensive outsider so clearly I'm a better option than you pushing the same loving buttons for your current salary.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Gweenz posted:

People are morons and will open any attachment that catches their interest, or "forces" them into action. Examples:

Fed Ex email: "you have an unclaimed package"
IRS email: "There was a problem found on your tax return"
Bank email: "There was unauthorized activity on your account"
Your examples need a bunch of typos and misspellings to be accurate :colbert:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Entropic posted:

Yeah, the ones I've seen, there's been minimal actual harm done to the computer in question, their strategy is mostly geared toward trying to get the user to give them a credit card payment over the phone. There's one version of it that I think doesn't even bother getting the user to download anything, they just direct the user to some scary looking part of the windows system logs and try to get them to give a CC number over the phone to 'fix it'.

A client's PC today:

It was "running slow." :stare:
I don't know how people get to this point while still getting any actual work done.

Someone needs to give one of those scammers access to a VM setup like this. They also need to roleplay someone who is very particular about how their computer is setup and that everything is perfect right now oh god don't touch anything I need that.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

You should get it etched with "In case of emergency, please do the needful" and an arrow to the opener.

A SA grenade would be neat but this is loving hilarious and perfect for anyone in IT.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

blackswordca posted:

Looks like Blackberry is being bought out by a company called "Fairfax Financial Holdings" for the tune of $4.7 billion.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/blackberry-to-be-sold-to-consortium-led-by-fairfax-financial-holdings-1.1864922

I think I will still hold off on that BES10 migration my client wants to do.
Huh, I guess the answer to the question of "Can Blackberry get anymore hosed?" is "Yes." Getting bought by a company with "financial holdings" in the name can't mean good things for the company getting bought. Although, I'm not sure how Fairfax intends to scam >4.7 billion out of the Blackberry name. I don't think Blackberry has much in the way of valuable assests at this point and who would loan them money (which would be funneled to Fairfax) at this point?

Kyrosiris posted:

Correct, but with the rash of firings because of stuff people have posted on Facebook that involved alcohol, I dunno if "having been drunk two weekends ago" is as safe as it used to be either.
Solution: Don't use facebook. Ticket status: Closed.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Alternatively we just give up, call ourselves Tech Priests, and take over Mars.

Mysteries and the Warnings posted:

The Mysteries of the Cult Mechanicus

Life is directed motion.
The spirit is the spark of life.
Sentience is the ability to learn the value of knowledge.
Intellect is the understanding of knowledge.
Sentience is the basest form of Intellect.
Understanding is the True Path to Comprehension.
Comprehension is the key to all things.
The Omnissiah knows all, comprehends all.

The Warnings of the Cult Mechanicus

The alien mechanism is a perversion of the True Path.
The soul is the conscience of sentience.
A soul can be bestowed only by the Omnissiah.
The Soulless sentience (i.e. Necrons) is the enemy of all.
The knowledge of the ancients stands beyond question.
The Machine Spirit guards the knowledge of the Ancients.
Flesh is fallible, but ritual honours the Machine Spirit.
To break with ritual is to break with faith.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

coyo7e posted:

Yeah this is hilarious until you had a couple too many cups of coffee or sodas in a day, and fail due to your sample being too watered down - which is an instant positive since people who do drugs tend to think they can ingest other poo poo to dilute their samples and come out clean.. :woop:

I get really bad headaches if I get even slightly dehydrated so as a result I drink a lot of water. I'm always paranoid I'm going to fail one of those test for the reason you mentioned. Fortunately I've only ever had piss tests prior to employment and I knew at least a few days ahead of time that one would be coming up so I could cut back on my hydration for a bit.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Agrikk posted:

At what point do people just give up and let their poo poo go fallow? Were these places originally organized wiring closets that then went bad over time due to apathy or were they always set up like my kids' tinkertoy/lego constructions?

I'm not trying to be judgmental here. Promise. I am honestly trying to understand how wiring closets get like this.

The last place I worked had some pretty hosed up wiring closets due to a variety of issues. The short version is that only the people on the help desk actually care about how everything is cabled because they are the only ones who ever physically interact with the equipment. The people that order the equipment never bother to check if there is room or infrastructure ahead of time and dump everything on the help desk at the last minute and holy poo poo this needs to be done yesterday stop making excuses and make it work. Help desk hacks something together to get it working and lets the appropriate people know what happened and what needs to be done to correct it but since it works now and the guilty parties kissed some rear end nothing happens or changes.

Only way that poo poo was ever going to get fixed was for the help desk techs to volunteer their time and gently caress that. Especially when your highly educated and skilled* rear end is getting paid less than someone stocking shelves as Costco.

*Side note: Aside from the tickets that came in the help desk handled most of the most systems administration, email administration, virtualization, most networking tasks, company cell phones, printers (gently caress printers), everything to do with desktops/laptops etc. 3 full time people for around 800 employees. There were 3 other people there whose job titles would have suggested that they handled most of those tasks but the IT director was fine with them pushing all their work off onto the help desk. Help desk didn't like it but frankly things went smoother when the help desk handled everything. The lazy assholes making the help desk do everything tended to completely gently caress up everything they touched.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

He's aware:

tehloki posted:

Oops. I got my dropbox public links suspended for excess bandwidth usage with those server room photos. Oh well, once they're a few pages back I'm sure less people will be viewing them in rapid succession. Curse you, convenience of [timg]
Use imgur.com instead of wasting your bandwidth duder.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Clothing can serve other purposes besides just covering body parts up. :pervert:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I was really hoping he would kick through the drywall and go back to work like nothing happened.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

"I know how things used to work* 15 years ago in this fast paced field where everything changes every couple years :smug:"

*I probably didn't understand the way things worked 15 years ago either.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

God drat, domain renewals are so loving cheap there's no reason not to just buy a few more years every time you think know about it.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

Moral of the story: if there is a button that users can press, they will press it, no matter how well hidden you think it is.

The opposite is of course also true. If there is a button the user MUST press they will be unable to find it no matter how obvious its placement.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Caged posted:

I once had someone in a marketing team back in like 2007 wanting to trade her thin and light laptop in for a thin and light laptop that could also play Second Life. That was an interesting discussion.
I worked at a university library around that time period and the dean of the library latched onto second life and thought it was the wave of the future. She wanted to use it for conference calls and virtual conferences and poo poo with other libraries. She ended up quietly dropping it after putting a lot of effort into getting a bunch of other libraries on board with it. I assume someone took her aside and showed her some of the furry rape dungeons and whatnot that made up the core of the second life community.

I never had the heart to tell her about all that because she was so into it. I didn't tell her because I was just waiting for some big library second life conference to happen so SA could invade and make it rain penises.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

CitizenKain posted:

I'm curious what sort of place you are in where investigating traffic is somehow against the law. Especially traffic on a machine you don't own crossing a network you don't own.
Data privacy in much of Europe is a Big Deal. I worked at a large global company over the summer (and will be :yotj:ing there next spring) in the IT security division. For some particularly troublesome maleware it was often easiest to throw some tools at a memory dump. PCs in the US? Queue up a memory dump and have at it. UK or EU country? Need approval from the regional security manager and then to avoid accidentally grabbing any personal information in that memory dump we would have to get in touch with the user of the computer and have them close everything, reboot, and log back in without doing -anything- until the dump was complete. The fact that the equipment was owned by the company and that everyone involved was employed by the company didn't matter.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I don't agree with the IDEs are a crutch argument but you absolutely don't want someone building an engine solely with an impact gun. Whole bunch of bolts in an engine that need to be torqued correctly which can't be done with much accuracy using an impact gun.

e: Well technically there are very expensive electric impacts used by some large manufacturing companies which torque every bolt to a precise value but your mechanic doesn't have one of those.

Galler fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 19, 2013

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Even if they knew the address to Merriam-Webster or dictionary.com, which they probably don't even if they know the name 'dictionary.com', they would just type it into the search bar like they type everything else they want out of the internet. There are a very large number of people who do not know that the URL bar is a thing that they can actually interact with. Websites aren't individual things they get information from they just stick words into the search bar and the internet returns information.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The Major never had to carry around a loving tablet what is this horseshit :colbert:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

KillHour posted:

Nope. I just found out it's for a "chain restaurant" so they can make sure their menu videos are playing correctly and switching over for breakfast/lunch.

:downsgun:

Haha, holy poo poo, it gets better with every post. This is the best thing.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Caged posted:

I dunno, I wouldn't be phoning someone between 11am-11:02am on the 11th and I wouldn't expect to receive a call then either. Same goes for planning calls before - if it's going to run into 11am then don't do it.
You have a lot more date-awareness than I. The only reason I would know it's a holiday is if I had the day off or if someone had just told me. Even if I got an email about a moment of silence we have a 15 minute replication interval so I probably wouldn't get the message until it was too late or I would have been busy and missed it until it was too late.

E: Also I don't really "get" the concept of a moment of silence but I'll play along. I like being silent anyway.

Galler fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 11, 2013

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Second place for OCD irritation is when people send me diagrams where the boxes don't line up or the lines aren't straight. Use the construction lines you idiots :mad:

Good news! Visio 2013 doesn't give a gently caress about how you want your boxes aligned. I've turned every snap to option on and off and a whole bunch of permutations and it didn't make any difference.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've got about a dozen of them stuck to my CO2 tank just waiting to be used for whatever. Maybe a stir plate :iiam:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Loose Ifer posted:

On a more sad note i get to work all weekend installing trend antivirus because our script doesn't work with the new version and they 'don't have the resources' to write a new one.

I'm so sorry that you must waste your time installing a completely worthless AV. If it's any consolation Trend is slightly better than McAfee.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I think this lack of fucks giving even extends to making money at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Nerdrock posted:

What's even better: Is that there was no way to lock down iPads to prevent system updates aside from doing it network-level. Upgrading from 6.whatever to iOS 7 would destroy your MDM profile and also any restrictions associated with it. It's a mess of loving epic proportions.

It's almost like those things are consumer toys and shouldn't be used for anything else. Unfortunately I'm all too aware that they will continue to be sledgehammered through that round hole.

blackswordca posted:

Its Bell, any work would be out east in Ontario or Quebec unfortunately :/

Are those places worse than whatever ring of hell you currently reside?

• Locked thread