Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

KoRMaK posted:

Ughhh, stop assuming things!

Just say the problem. "My poo poo looks funny, here look!" loving X Y problem poo poo

Just in case anyone here hasn't seen this before. Read it, memorize it, internalize it. http://xyproblem.info/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

We got that stuff for our conference room that lets you flip a switch and the glass becomes opaque or transparent because blinds weren't cool enough I guess. Except they didn't want to pay for the actual glass so we got some lovely film, and they also didn't want to pay for a professional to install it so... yeah.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Wibla posted:

I remember some CSI Miami episode with glass like that, going :aaa: when I first saw it. I need that for my office door... (glass wall with a slide glass door basically)

It's actually really cool when it's the actual glass. This film probably works decently too, but when you have a couple of guys in the office installing it instead of a professional...

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

I've got a 6P that occasionally prompts me to enter my PIN. I find the argument that having to enter your PIN every once in a while completely negates any convenience created every single other time it doesn't ask you to a little silly.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

angry armadillo posted:

My boss invited all our 1st line guys to a central meeting, mainly as a team building thing really but to meet some of our central guys, put faces to names etc.
We all work at various places across the country so he put them up in a hotel for a night to cover travel and took them out for food.

It reminds me of when I started this job - within 30 mins of meeting the other managers I had been asked what my salary was. Obviously, my answer was 'enough thanks' (which he didn't like :D)

Anyway, back to my story of all the helpdesk guys meeting up, as they all spent an evening in a hotel making the most of the money the company give you for staying away, they drank that and discussed salary, which left a number of them disappointed - although we did find out the highest earner exaggerated his pay to wind up the rest of them, but they took it seriously :D

Either way - my boss has a number of business cases heading his way as the first line guys now all want more money :D I said to my boss what did you expect getting them all in 1 room, you wont do that again any time soon eh.

If they're from all over the country, are they getting paid differently due to regional cost of living variations?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

I believe you mean the time when a janitor helped you tested your redundancy and DR preparations.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Screenconnect is good and cheap, I don't think any firewall rules are necessary because the connection is opened from the inside of the target network.

Well, that depends on how locked down outgoing connections are.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Sickening posted:

Looks like they are wanting to lay people off but are instead hoping they resign.

That is exactly what the article says.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Actuarial Fables posted:

Faculty all across campus have been having issues printing to network printers over the past few days. Printers showing as offline, documents stuck in queue, printing blank pages.

This was resolved by unplugging a TV.

I am impressed. Was unplugging the TV a happy coincidence, or did some troubleshooting actually lead someone to realize that would help?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I'm not sure when my answers to those questions ould ever be different, tbf.

Something like "I smelled something electrical burning for a few weeks before it died last week" but yeah, I don't know if it's all that useful.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

For those that don't get it, please distribute this as far as possible. http://xyproblem.info/

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Sickening posted:

Anybody here have any palo alto experience that can help me with something incredibly simple that I don't understand? I have a firewall static route that doesn't make any sense to me but somehow loving works.

Try a "test routing fib-lookup" from the cli with your vrouter and see if that helps clear it up.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

is the security breach that someone ran a vulnerability scanner against their public ip

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

I'm in as well.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Can someone put a goddamn trigger warning in the thread title until all of this is sorted. I honestly think I might be having a panic attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

And revert back.

• Locked thread