Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

THF13 posted:

Requesting one of my favorite moments from the previous thread, fan pointed at thermostat.jpg

We should compile a "Greatest Hits" for the OP.

Some possible candidates:

Servertetris.jpg
TheSuspenseisKillingMe.jpg
FuckYourCableRunsWithMyCircularSaw.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A boss came in. And decided to up and upgrade one of our production T3 routers at 4:00 yesterday, despite the fact that the plan involved opening a proactive case with AT&T (which we hadn't been able to do yet due to our federal manager being busy) and for a solid 30 minutes for configuration audit ahead of time and 30 minutes of testing afterward. Of course I got roped into all of this poo poo at 4:30 (without any heads up) since I was the one who had done the configuration and wound up leaving late.

Only two more weeks at this place. He still hasn't found a replacement for me or the security guy who left and keeps asking me if I can stay around to help and I keep telling him no.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

demonachizer posted:

If you gave notice already, why didn't you have plans that you couldn't break? I feel like once I give notice at my place, I will not be doing a single thing above and beyond and would really try to limit myself to knowledge transfer as much as possible.

I'm technically not quitting, I'm just going on a leave of absence because I'm being deployed overseas. That being said, I'm totally getting a new job when I get back, I just don't want to necessarily burn this bridge. I may have hosed up by not actually quitting, though, because then I could charge him outrageous sums of money in consultation fees after my last day.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Lord Dudeguy posted:

A CFO came in...

:v: We're expanding branches and employees by 20%.
:cool: Ok we'll need to order more storage/memory/servers/etc to meet the increased demand.
:v: You don't have any room in your budget. Request denied.

Move him over to the normal storage and exchange servers and watch your budget magically increase.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Especially since there's no legitimate way to meet the qualifications of PMP before, oh let's say, 30.

Gonna troll all y'all by getting my PMP.

Anyway, an emergency switch upgrade came in today at 3:00 PM. A department is apparently imaging several labs tomorrow and needed their switches upgraded from 2948s to gig, otherwise DOOM! So despite being told a month ago by me that they needed to notify my boss to set it up, they waited until the last moment and then went to senior management to get it done. So I got to stay late again. Hooray!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bort posted:

Do you mean like CatOS 2948Gs?

I loved those... :allears:

Yeah man, old school.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wow, robocopy is amazing. I can't believe I've been copying normally like a chump all these years.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Had a presentation of a new network scheduled with our federal manager today at 9:30. Despite knowing this, my boss (the network architect) told me to re-rack the entire network and apply cable management 30 minutes before the presentation. Oh, and of course it wasn't working properly afterward. You know, like one might expect to happen after moving a lot of hardware and recabling it. Except anybody else would've allotted another 30 minutes for troubleshooting. Oh yeah, and wouldn't have done all of this right before a presentation.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I have to question the wisdom of using only a third party IT services provider when you're running WAN links and VoIP to multiple branch offices.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bort posted:

ARP

He's not barking he's broadcasting.

Winner.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Where the hell do you pay more than $3 for a beer :stonk:
Most bars I know sell crappy stuff for $2 per glass or so. Can give a six pack for less than that per bottle/can.

My bottled drink of choice is $10 for 6, but eh.

Draft craft beer in DC is usually $6-8 for a pint. Domestic draft is $4-5. Happy hour may bring the prices down a bit.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

toe shoes posted:

One of our social media people just had their Twitter account hacked. For the second time in 3 months. If I find out that it was a phishing attack someone is going to need to lose their job.

Doesn't twitter have two factor authentication now?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

piss boner posted:

Only if you enable it.

Ah yes, much in the same way that all cars have seatbelts and yet people still magically wind up being ejected through their windshield during collisions.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Making your network design simple is important if for no other reason than 95% of people are retarded and will break it within 30 seconds of touching it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Using multiple VLANs is fine if you actually plan on using control lists for logical separation. The problem is that people never do this, and so you wind up with a situation like where I work where there's dozens of VLANs because we use /24 blocks of addresses rather than dabbling in the black magic that is variable length subnet masks. Or, you know, larger block sizes.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

couldcareless posted:

It's pretty bad when they are putting dogs in manager positions these days.

But it would certainly explain data center puppy.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

"No one in their right mind should virtualize their monitoring for their environment"

Holy poo poo I never thought I could nerd rage this hard about something. This comes from one of the people ranking above me....

I VtoP'd our monitoring server on one of our networks, but that was because it was using more memory than the sysadmins were willing to give me.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

We have a new guy that started this week who I've been training to be my replacement. He doesn't have a badge or formal facility access yet, but he's been added to the authorized guest list and is just waiting for the paperwork to go through.

Anyway, he didn't sign the log book in the server room since, you know, he works here. The IA troll saw this and tattled on him to the IT Director rather than just letting him know that he had to sign in. This is the same rear end in a top hat who did a Nessus scan, detected that out NetVCR was running FreeBSD, and then sent an email to upper management telling them we were breaking regulations by running unauthorized software on our network.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Virtual device I'm using to migrate our IDS sensors to a new version wasn't working this morning. The script I'm trying to run keeps saying something about now having enough space on the volume to create the log directory. So I hand it over to our linux dude, and he checks the directory and finds a 206 GB log file from a hung process.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I telecommute whenever I'm allowed to because I get 5 times as much work done.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AAB posted:

"I need to know how to disable spelling and autocorrect so that I can fully express myself with my linguistic style"

Too good. Holy cow.

Amazing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ransomeware worm took our network by storm today and infected well over 1,000 machines. Good thing I'm in engineering and not incident handling!

psydude fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 9, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

spankmeister posted:

It sucks but all it takes is reimaging and restoring backups. :sun:

You do have backups right?

Also, everybody should block exe's (and exe in zip) in emails goddamn.

I have no idea, I work in the SOC. That's infrastructure's realm. :smug:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Customer whose network I'm redesigning still uses separate subnets plugged into physical interfaces on their firewall in TYOOL 2015. I had to convince them that VLANs were not only a good idea, but safer than using their perimeter firewall as an all-in-one router/switch/firewall/VPN head-end/IPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So I'm having some issues with 6800 IA switches. The design requires us to run 15.2 in order to leverage the increased number of switches per stack (5) and the increased number of total switches supported per 6880 (42). I can provision and join each FEX stack while the 6880 is running 15.1, but the switches won't auto upgrade or join while the 6880 is running 15.2. Any ideas?

e: Woah, wrong thread, but I guess I'll keep it here too.

psydude fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 25, 2015

• Locked thread