Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mpyro posted:

Shame a new topic. Wasn't even halfway done reading the horrors within the last one.

It's really too bad that they just delete threads when they're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Shalhavet posted:

It's in the Comedy Goldmine.

Excuse me I think I know how forums work also why else would mpyro be saying that.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Can we talk about documentation for a sec?

I document everything I do in Evernote or a git repository, depending on what I'm doing. Everyone else I work with is horrible at documenting anything.

What do you document? How thoroughly do you document it? What are most people missing in recording changes that are being made?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I get a few of those, and do them all at once at the end of a 2 or 4 week period. Anyone that needs an email from our backups urgently has to run it through their boss and explain why.

A partner at my firm is freaking out because his BlackBerry has a virus. Some website called "IN" is asking him to log in and he doesn't know what that is so he must have a virus.

yes, it's linkedin

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

nzspambot posted:

type uptime in powershell

I win :D

That's not a standard module/command.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

quote:

As you know we have been having problems with our printer, and having to clear jams and turn it off and back on. They came in once and replaced a part, and thought they had fixed it, but it is continuing to be a problem. Coworker said that the last she heard from you was that they were going to order some further parts, and then come back in. We haven’t seen them for a while.

May 18/13 1 time
June 26/13 2 times
July 18/13 1 time
July 29/13 1 time
Aug. 20/13 1 time

Can you please check and see if they have received the parts yet, or what they are doing.

welp

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GreenNight posted:

Hey if anyone is trying to mess with GPO's and IE10, just spin up a quick 2012 VM and edit Group Policy from there. Your DC's don't need to be 2012, just edit GP from a 2012 box. I do it all the time.

It doesn't need to be a DC, right?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GreenNight posted:

That is absolutely correct.

Thank you! For some reason everyone else that I've run into discussing this has mentioned that it does need to be (or I'm dumb).

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

skipdogg posted:

drat. I bet if this person spent half the energy doing their job instead of keeping track of how many times they had to clear a paper jam they'd be the loving CEO.

Under no circumstances can I piss this person off. Have you seen how they hold a grudge?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

quote:

If the DM Server service account is selected on the Startup options and you are still getting DCOM errors, click OK on the Service dialog box and exit the Control Panel. Then reenter Control Panel>Services, click Startup, and click OK on the Service dialog box again. Sometimes just “reinforcing” the options on the Service dialog box can correct the problem.

How do I put "cargo cult server administration" on my resume?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

We can just secure print to our MFPs. When you print you type in a 4-digit code and are given the opportunity to rename your document so that nobody sees you printing ricola_termination_final(2).doc or whatever.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

tehloki posted:

Canada. S. Ontario specifically.

To clarify, a 24 pack of decent beer here is almost 50 dollars.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

pixaal posted:

In MA you can get beer pretty reasonable at the store, less then $1 if you want to drink bud, if you want ACTUAL beer like Stone or Dogfish head you'll pay $12-16 for a 4-6 pack. I can get dogfish head for $5 for a 22oz at my favorite bar, it's pretty cheap when a 22oz of bud will run you $3 there.

:( Ontario

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

The question is, why drink Bud when there are better domestic options like Sleeman's or Moosehead for about the same price?

(I live in Guelph, I may be biased on the Sleeman beer)

Those are awful too! Muskoka and Beau's seasonal beers are both way better.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

JohnnyCanuck posted:

If you ever come to the Ottawa area, take the Beau's brewery tour because it's awesome.

I live there and have and yes! Beyond The Pale's stuff is pretty good too.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I just got dragged away from a hugely important server/application deployment to write two patents in one day. In French.

That was a thing I guess.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

SEKCobra posted:

I just remembered something mate, iirc, you are supposed to move everything 1 MB from the front in EaseUS.

People in glass houses, etc, etc, but that's quite the title.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

SEKCobra posted:

OMG
Im on holiday. Just went by work to pickup some personal affects, going back to work monday. Now get this: My personal cupboard has been broken into. Literally ripped open. And I know exactly who it was. That shithead feels entitled to have access to MY dvds for work at all times. Apparently this includes breaking into my only personal space at work. Currently trying to determine how far to raise this issue. Considering calling in HR and maybe even threaten with cops. I am glowing white on the inside with rage. How can one think breaking into a coworkers personal belongings coild ever be ok... :psypop:

Just tell HR that someone broke into your cupboard and stole your stuff and that you're going to report it to the police.

nitrogen posted:

"I will not use or support a company or database that uses racist terminology like 'master' and 'slave.'"

A bunch of people have started using primary/secondary or server/client for this reason, it's not completely illegitimate.

Edit: his reaction and job-quitting is though.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 30, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

nitrogen posted:

Thats the big thing. We use the terminology the vendor uses by policy, to eliminate confusion. For example, replication vs. clustering with mysql. We have customers that don't understand the difference, and freak out when they get a quote for carrier grade mysql vs enterprise, so we're careful to use the same terminology as the vendor. It'll be interesting what we'll do when the eventual lawsuit comes down.

Yeah, I agree with that for sure, it's just weird that someone at the vendor doesn't just go "oh yeah I can see how that's a bad thing to say" and change it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I manage a half dozen racks worth of servers and a few hundred workstations and I fully intend on not ever making a cable myself.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I have an iPhone for a user that discharges completely with nothing running in < 1h. Is the Apple Store going to give me grief if I try and take a corporate device in that has someone else's name on it for service?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

It's a work-issued phone billed to the firm.

Brut posted:

Delete the exchange account from the iphone, see if it discharges (it won't).

I feel like this would be fun to do but is otherwise not a good idea.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GreenNight posted:

He's actually serious - there was a huge bug in IOS and Exchange that would drain the battery if there was an Exchange account. Apple released an update just to help fix this issue. Recently MS also released some Exchange patches that did the same.

Again/more recently? We were affected by that and patched the servers/updated the phones to correct it when it came out.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

There's a company that does some over-the-phone support for us, and at the beginning of every call there a ~1 min blurb about how they want us to take a survey, then after the call another blurb about how we're about to get a survey, then two super short questions. The support people are always great, and I want to give them a high rating every time, but loving stop making me listen to all the other survey related garbage god drat it

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Veeam 7 backs up directly to tape as of earlier this month? Whoo! Or something!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Crowley posted:

Holy loving shitballs! I'm so exited about this I'll probably be extremely disappointed when I get to test it.

It does a bunch of other new stuff too, but I only had like 20 minutes to look at it and it couldn't see my tape drives so I went WELP and carried on with VM->drive->tape until I have a moment to sort the direct bit out.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Tekhne posted:

Its great except that it is unable to eject the tape after the job is done. It has the option but it only works with libraries so you have to manually eject or use a script / third party app

Still better than my previous Veeam -> Disk + BuExec -> Tape thing!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

A brand new user decided she didn't want to walk all the way to the printer that is roughly 10 steps from her desk, so she went into the office of one of the partners who is away on vacation, took their printer and cables, and plugged it in at her desk.

Then she emailed me after hours telling me that her printer was broken and that she wasn't able to work and that I needed to fix it ASAP, cc'ing her manager and my boss.

Monday is going to be amazing.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Daylen Drazzi posted:

You absolutely must capture this on video.

I'm not replying until Monday morning, my boss already forwarded it to me with a "what".

If that thing isn't back in the partner's office before she starts on Monday, she's probably just getting walked out the door.

I kind of want to give her a job in IT because she has shown more initiative than almost anyone that has ever worked here.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Volmarias posted:

She'll just be told "this printer is for the partner to use" and you'll be scolded for having not put it back and having not had her set up with a printer.

Nah, the parter that the printer belongs to is going to blow a gasket and my boss is going to laugh his face off.

Langolas posted:

Its "Kindly do the needful" you must have some dicks sending it without the Kindly!

I love dealing with people in Japan or even some other eastern countries that you send them an engineering update... and they respond "please confirm" and we just forward a copy of the first email right back to them saying "confirmed". Assholes.

You work with people in Japan who don't insist on using faxes for everything? Weird.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mpyro posted:

I know this is from a few pages back. It is Monday and what happened. Was she fired?

Yeah, they got walked out if the door

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

blackswordca posted:

Thing is this website isn't even for his business or anything like that, its for an after hours sports league he runs.

This somehow makes this way more hilarious.

quote:

Eventually the person I've been dealing with calls me and we talk about what needs to happen. I wouldn't give them an inch. I have to admit it felt really good to do that. Admittedly the owner being a giant jackass made it a bit easier. He is going to contact the owner and the management board and try and get me paid. I wont be doing anything until I get a cheque in my hand or some sort of reasonable arrangement is made.

Reading the comments Ill have to look at how much it costs to take them to small claims for a worst case scenario. Its not a huge amount of money they owe me, so Ill have to see how much of that will be eaten up in fees and lost time.

Don't put it back online until after the cheque clears. Also small claims court (in my jurisdiction) is super cheap to file in and this specific situation sounds like it would take very little time to prepare for.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Someone just opened the box for a new waste toner bottle, pulled the bag (that the old waste toner bottle goes into) out of it, dumped all of the waste toner out of the full bottle into the bag, and then put the old waste toner bottle back into the machine, leaving an open bag full of toner and a box with a never-used waste toner bottle in the copy room.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

The terrible Document Management System that we use has a conference in November!

GUESS WHO'S GOING

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Oh my god, that product used to be Hummingbird DM.

. . . . Listen, okay, I will pay you money to punch some people right in the eye at that conference.

$50 per punch. $100 bonus if you can knock their eyes clean out of their heads. For any upper management or Opentext programmer you can find.

Not Shatner, though. Shatner's alright.

It's still hummingbird in the back end and install files!

gently caress if I'm going, dealing with it is the worst part of my job.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GreenNight posted:

We don't get paid sick leave unless you go to the loving doctor and have a signed note. Flu where the doctor doesn't want to see you? Better hope you have vacation saved up.

My work tried this and instead of calling out with "I feel like garbage today, I'll be in tomorrow", every time I got sick it turned into "Well my doctor gave me a note saying that I'm going to be sick for the whole week, guess I'm taking the whole thing off!"

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

SEKCobra posted:

Apparently I cant have any days off because as person with highest seniority I am the only one out of 4 who can keep things running. When I said I trust the next in line coworker, bossman said 'Youre just saying that to get your days off'. No fick you he is the only other capable person on my team the 2 guys working externally atm are way worse...

How is this your problem? Take your time off or find a new job.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

"I have a prior arrangement and will not be available between those hours."

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Ursine Asylum posted:

"Alright, where's my raise?"

Yeah, if I was going to put up with that I would probably demand that all my PTO get paid out immediately with a substantial bonus.

It does suck to be in a situation where you can't play hardball, either because your coworkers let people walk all over them or the expectation that you'll do it is already there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

That's what I'm testing. One machine got hit with this last week and ate a chunk of our network files. Idiot released the drat spam email from Postini and then opened the attachment.

I don't suppose you have a screenshot of the email? Time to send out a "BEWARE THE EMAIL MONSTER" blast to everyone.

• Locked thread