Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Last week the sale of my former company was completed to one of the largest media companies in the US, and now this week the entire C-level staff has been going around to all the stations giving an elaborate canine and equestrian event to us. So the entire station has been running around frantically trying to clean, organize, etc. so we don't look like the terrible small market station that we are. I was hauling boxes around, vacuuming the floors, etc. I'm not surprised that the GM didn't have me outside giving the lawn a trim.

As the three hour presentation was going on today, I've never heard the phrase "how is this going to make the company money" used so many times. Between that and the statement "we must all do our best to make the sales departments life easier" I'm thinking that this might be the time to start sending out the resume again.

But on the positive side, when our GM introduced me to the CEO, CFO, and CTO she gave my title as Assistant Chief Engineer. I didn't know I had gotten a title bump, and neither did my boss. Might start putting that on my email signature just to see if it flies.

On another note, finally getting a pain in the rear end serial to ethernet converter to play nice with a no longer supported microwave receiver made my day last week. It only took me a year of messing around with it every couple weeks to finally figure out the issues. It helps if all four devices are using the same data rate and more importantly that the remote switch is turned on. Oh well, it's not like it is only a two hour drive to the remote location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I wasn't paying attention today when I was working on one of our IRD's. I ended up plugging both ends of a network cable into the same switch. Ok, I know that is bad.

But once I did that, I managed to take down every other IRD we have in the racks. The only thing the network port is used for is management, not IP streaming or receiving. But I had seven IRD's of various makes stuck in an infinite power loop. And this was all caused by me not paying attention and assuming that my boss would somehow screw up moving the network cable from one device to another.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I screwed up the ip addressing for all four of our microwaves. We are planning to use them to carry Ethernet and phones over the microwave link to our transmitter site. But this dummy put them on a different subnet than the one they are patched into. Changing two of the microwaves is no big deal, they are used for the live trucks. The other two are what we are using to send all three of our stations up to the transmitter. Resetting the ip requires a power cycle so that will knock us off air for up to 60 seconds.

Between that and my boss tasking me with a way to remotely monitor the ups statuses at the site without buying anything means my next week is going to be fun. All because of one ups not coming back up after a power hit, which our microwave reciever was plugged into, which was the only dish that could be pointed a certain way, which was toward a wildfire that the news was covering. Joy

diremonk fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 22, 2013

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I know I'm not a full on IT person, but I just :yotj:.

Going from a network affiliate to the county tv station that is planning on doing a major overhaul of their systems. According to the managers that interviewed me, it's going to be a multi-year upgrade process. Hopefully between this new position and getting more IT certs, I think my resume should look pretty good.

Not much of a raise, but it should mean no more weekend or shift work, holidays off, and better benefits.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

New account password rules have come down from the company that bought my station. Maybe it is just me, but they seem a bit off.

quote:

Your password must include 3 of following four categories: uppercase letter, lowercase letter, number, symbol (!@#$& etc.).
Passwords must be 8 characters in length.
Passwords must be reset every 45 days and cannot be re-used until you have used 24 separate passwords.
Accounts locked out after 12 invalid logon attempts.
Account will automatically unlock after 15 minutes.
I'm glad my last day is next week, otherwise I'd get roped into helping deal with this mess.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Sorry, the part I thought was a bit much was the 45 day password expire and no reuse until you've used 24 different passwords. But the last owners didn't have anything like password expiration policy. I'm still using the same one from three years ago.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

With my last day here approaching fast, my boss has finally gotten into his head that maybe he should have some idea of what we have in the racks and how it is setup. Wonder how long it will take before they call me asking questions?

Between that and being told that it takes too long for our parent company to send us a video file so they are going to send us a loaner DVCPro deck. How big of a file can it be if they can't throw it on a internal ftp site? Not like it is a multi-hour uncompressed ultra hd video, it's a hour long wrestling show.

And does anyone have a recommendation for a book on SNMP? I probably should start learning something about it for my new position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What qualifies somebody for CE work? Is this seemingly systemic problem from the fact that these guys are mechanical / electrical engineers forced into systems administration, which seems kind of close but has absolutely nothing to do with one-another? Is the CE position slowly dying out because of longer lasting radio hardware and increasing creep of digital systems?

These legacy guys all seem absolutely terrible at their job, but they seem to have so much power in the workplace and I'm so interested in how they came to be.

The few television CE's that I have worked for in my career have been for the most part people that had been there long enough that they were able to kiss up to the bosses and get moved up when the old chief retires. Granted I'm in a semi-small market but I'm sure it is like that in most places. Of the five I have known, none of them had any sort of degree that I know of. My old boss had half a bachelors in music, no idea about how video or audio actually works, and even had to google what a wire stripper looked like.

I've talked it over with a former colleague and he was saying that engineers as they are now are a dying breed. Since tv is moving more and more towards having everything based on IP and not the traditional methods, network admins are probably going to be in control. When that happens a lot of the older guys that aren't comfortable with networking are probably going to be out of a job.

I was offered an assistant-chief position at my old station but I turned it down because I thought where I'm at now would be better. Yeah, that was a mistake. But at least everything I'm doing now will look good on my resume.

• Locked thread